Contracted Players for Next Season

Re: Contracted Players for Next Season

Postby seasonsinthesun » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Based on this season, I would be happy to see Jevons leave, but he may have another year left, how would I know?
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby shrimper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 pm

If the squad budget allows I'd also be happy to keep Spencer and Carlton alongside Jevons who has another year anyway. But only if we could also bring in someone else up front as well.
I think Spencer will be a bit better next season if he stays and we know what we get with Danny. Jevo hasn't done it this season and I wouldn't be averse to letting him go out on loan if we could recoup his wages.

We still need another striker.

I like Hurst and think he would be even better if there were one or two slightly better players around him. I'd be happy if we signed him.

Parrish's contract definitely needs extending, otherwise we may even lose him in January under the old 'better to get something for him now than lose him for nothing in July' scenario if someone shows an interest. Ditto Roche, as long as we could afford him.

I'd like another 'boss' with a bit of experience in central midfield, especially as Drummy's legs won't last forever, to play alongside Fleming who would start every game for me. Hunter would stay as good cover.

At the back - if we could sort Wilson and Haining out and make sure they're happy here and committed to the cause - we'd look okay. If they go we (obviously) need solid replacements. I like Holdsworth as a decent squad player but wouldn't be confident about him at right back week after week, I think he can get caught out of position.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 pm

After a quick chat with other moderators I've removed all the personal abuse. People may not like what Pobble has to say but the best way to counter it is through debate rather than personal insults. Certain people just can't seem to resist using personal insults, despite being intelligent enough not to. xxxx

Finally Pobble I've edited out the bolding of your posts. If you post in bold again then the whole post gets deleted. Keith has mentioned it several times. It may seem petty but to others its highly annoying and makes you look like a shouty type whose opinions are more valid than others. They aren't.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:59 pm

I agree with everything you say there jsut a couple of points:-

"Parrish's contract definitely needs extending, otherwise we may even lose him in January under the old 'better to get something for him now than lose him for nothing in July' scenario if someone shows an interest. Ditto Roche, as long as we could afford him."

and if they did go in January it would be for an undisclosed fee which just wind me up meaning we have got bugger all.

"At the back - if we could sort Wilson and Haining out and make sure they're happy here and committed to the cause - we'd look okay."

I think there is only one way we could make sure these two stay and are happy.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Posh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:02 pm

I think there is only one way we could make sure these two stay and are happy.

As Shrimper says himself:

shrimper wrote:I'd like another 'boss'

Bare Ben won't be happy.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:24 pm

shrimper wrote:If the squad budget allows I'd also be happy to keep Spencer and Carlton alongside Jevons who has another year anyway. But only if we could also bring in someone else up front as well.
I think Spencer will be a bit better next season if he stays and we know what we get with Danny. Jevo hasn't done it this season and I wouldn't be averse to letting him go out on loan if we could recoup his wages.

I like Hurst and think he would be even better if there were one or two slightly better players around him. I'd be happy if we signed him.

Parrish's contract definitely needs extending, otherwise we may even lose him in January under the old 'better to get something for him now than lose him for nothing in July' scenario if someone shows an interest. Ditto Roche, as long as we could afford him.

I'd like another 'boss' with a bit of experience in central midfield, especially as Drummy's legs won't last forever, to play alongside Fleming who would start every game for me. Hunter would stay as good cover.

At the back - if we could sort Wilson and Haining out and make sure they're happy here and committed to the cause - we'd look okay. If they go we (obviously) need solid replacements. I like Holdsworth as a decent squad player but wouldn't be confident about him at right back week after week, I think he can get caught out of position.

Just been on Radio Lancs that Accy (Coley was interviewed) won't be offering any contracts to their players until after the end of the season. Only Craney is under contract for next season.

Jimmy Ryan would be good for us. And McConville , Gornell etc.

What about that lad at Macclesfield who scored a great goal against us.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm

shrimper wrote: Ditto Roche, as long as we could afford him.

Dare I say can we afford NOT to have him. I know it amounts to paying more than normal/usual but Baz is worth it I.M.O. We have conceded 60 League goals this season with him there most of the time but without some of his better than average saves we could well have been :o

Last season we blamed a slow defence for leaking too many goals. At this stage last season we had conceded 56. Just as concerning is we had scored 67, whereas we are now on 48 with just 24 (in 21) of them at the Globe. We scored 42 at Christie (in 21) after 41 games so something needs fixing somewhere!

I personally would rather do without player "X" who has basically warmed the bench most of the time or not contributed to the team much during his time and give Baz his dosh instead. I know injuries can't be helped during the course of a season. 8-)

I can understand Accy's predicament as they may have to budget for League 1. Their finances are very precarious at the moment until stuff is ironed out.

09 Morecambe 41 12 6 3 42 24 5 7 8 25 32 +9 61

15 Morecambe 41 6 7 8 24 28 7 3 10 24 32 -12 49

We are one of only four teams who have won more away than at home
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
shrimper wrote:If the squad budget allows I'd also be happy to keep Spencer and Carlton alongside Jevons who has another year anyway. But only if we could also bring in someone else up front as well.

Just been on Radio Lancs that Accy (Coley was interviewed) won't be offering any contracts to their players until after the end of the season. Only Craney is under contract for next season.

That'd be Bencheriff who for me could also do the job that Shrimper is looking for in midfiled. Big and strong and would compliment Fleming IMO.

Wilson can go for me...... :o :o :o
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Ntini » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:02 pm

I think we've got most of the defensive structure in place to be developed:

---------------------ROCHE------------------------------
PARRISH---McCREADY---CHARNOCK---COWPERTHWAITE

As well as these we also have HOLDSWORTH for next season (if that's right and if we can also keep Cowperthwaite if he's not already contracted), so could do with another centre back to give some competition.

And I'm happy with the front two of SPENCER and CARLTON, with JEVONS to come off the bench. So we could do with a young striker, possibly with some height to give us a different dimension.

The big area we need to improve on is in midfield. We have HUNTER, SCOTT, RUNDLE and FLEMING next season, but for me these aren't your regular starters at League Two level.

Some ideas might be RYAN and McCONVILLE from Accrington, as previously mentioned. Also it might be worth looking at aome people like MARK MARSHALL (not sure of his contract status) if Barnet were to go down. Alternatively, we could look at some promising BSP midfielders who don't get promoted.

Whichever way we do it, we need some decent midfielders who can support our Strikers with good service, and our defenders with some good cover.

That is all! :D
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby steve mfc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

Is this a bit of psychology by Coleman ( if you play well to the end of the season then you will get a contract ) or do they just want to see what league they will be in, either way its a big gamble they could easily loose half of their team if they wait, the likes of Ryan will be snapped up by somebody that's for sure.
steve mfc

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Pobble wrote:
I will be amazed if we have a different Gaffer next season.

It will be a bloody disaster if there is no change.

Change WILL happen if the club ever wants to move forward, we could stay in the same stale mould with other clubs deadwood arriving putting off the regulars or go all out for a fresher younger hungrier side who wear the shirt with pride and give their all under someone with a completely different approach
Alex Ferguson love him or hate him began his reign at uniteurd this way
HALMA 1983

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:27 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:
Pobble wrote:
I will be amazed if we have a different Gaffer next season.

It will be a bloody disaster if there is no change.

Change WILL happen if the club ever wants to move forward, we could stay in the same stale mould with other clubs deadwood arriving putting off the regulars or go all out for a fresher younger hungrier side who wear the shirt with pride and give their all under someone with a completely different approach
Alex Ferguson love him or hate him began his reign at uniteurd this way

Great post! Totally agree, and would that also include a younger, hungrier manager??
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Great post! Totally agree, and would that also include a younger, hungrier manager??

I'm a Big fan of John Coleman and Jimmy Bell, These two for me are the bench mark of what's needed here but I'd certainly welcome any other candidates who can work on a shoestring budget, Get the very last drop out of every player they send out and be successful whilst doing it ;)
HALMA 1983

Postby maccawozzagod » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 pm

in the case of Coley and Bell, it's not that they exclusively offer only 1 year deals, Edwards, Ryan and McConville are coming to the end of 2 year contracts - as is Chris Turner who hasn't played much this year.

But part of the lure for players signing for us is that we aren't going to try to nail their nuts to the floor with long contracts. Terry Gornell was fairly well rated at Tranmere but was being played out of position. He came to us, probably for a pittance, to play regular 1st team football and put himself in the shop window. Coley tries only to sign players who will make decent moves for themselves rather than sideways moves. I wouldn't expect a Coley player to ever move from us to you (no disrespect intended) as it wouldn't really be a step up for them. He wants players who will be looking at the top of League 1 as a minimum. You last season and us this season have proved that League 1 isn't beyond the smaller club budget but to be competing at the business end of that league?

Ryan is more than grateful to Coley for getting a shot at League football when Shrewsbury blew him out and I would fully expect him to honour that within reason. In saying that I said the same last year with Symesy, not realising that Bournemouth were after him and his girlfriend had a good job in Bournemouth that she was having to give up if he remained oop North. The other aspect of Coleys signings is their age. Ryan has been player of the year twice (maybe three now), a permanent name on the sheet and is under 24. We'll get good money from a tribunal for him :D
maccawozzagod

Postby Pobble » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:38 am

Posh wrote:After a quick chat with other moderators I've removed all the personal abuse. People may not like what Pobble has to say but the best way to counter it is through debate rather than personal insults. Certain people just can't seem to resist using personal insults, despite being intelligent enough not to. xxxx

Finally Pobble I've edited out the bolding of your posts. If you post in bold again then the whole post gets deleted. Keith has mentioned it several times. It may seem petty but to others its highly annoying and makes you look like a shouty type whose opinions are more valid than others. They aren't.

Obviously, as Moderators, you have the power to make any changes you like, and I respect that. In your words, it is petty to threaten to remove my postings if I use Bold, so I accept that and will refrain in future, but it does seem rather strange that that causes more offence than some of the postings I read.
Incidentally, virtually all my postings have been on the theme of my dislike of the Manager and the one thing the Board has a problem with and that is keeping him employed. It was surprising that I was even attacked by a Moderator for my views, This was Keith a few weeks ago with the comment of "one trick pony". I understand that people like Bare Ben and Ezz have their views and they do not like mine, and I respect that, but I was surprised that a Moderator joined the name calling.
Moderators do a fantastic and difficult job despite my comments above, but please remember that any posting of mine is IMO in the long term interest of Morecambe Football Club.
Pobble

Postby shrimper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:39 pm

maccawozzagod wrote: Coley tries only to sign players who will make decent moves for themselves rather than sideways moves. I wouldn't expect a Coley player to ever move from us to you (no disrespect intended) as it wouldn't really be a step up for them. He wants players who will be looking at the top of League 1 as a minimum. You last season and us this season have proved that League 1 isn't beyond the smaller club budget but to be competing at the business end of that league?

As usual you make good points, macca. I mentioned Ryan and Gornell as realistic targets for us a while ago. But that was when there wasn't much difference in our league placings and your off-field issues were looking far more precarious than it appears they may be now.
My suggestions (and many others have made the same ones) were based on the fact that a couple of your players may be persuaded to move to us because we could offer them more stability and, importantly, that we needed to get in quick because it's often those who show the most determination to get their men who succeed. Your position now should change all that.
Of course if anyone higher up our division - or from the one above - came in for them, it'd be no contest. Perhaps Bury, if they get up, may have a nibble.

I think the only way we could attract players like yours and others of their ilk now is IF you don't get into the play-offs and we could persuade them - maybe with a couple more landmark signings - that we mean business next season.

And I'm not sure where our budgets are - and our board's thinking - with regard to all that.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ezz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:57 pm

At this level players out of contract I'm sure would go to where the wages are highest, must remember that football isn't a life long career. If we came in for Ryan at a better wage (not sure if thats possible as no idea what wages he is on and what we can afford) then that could possibly be enough to land him if its the best bid. The locality of not needing to relocate also helps from Accy to here as its only an hour away.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm

ezz wrote:At this level players out of contract I'm sure would go to where the wages are highest, must remember that football isn't a life long career. If we came in for Ryan at a better wage (not sure if thats possible as no idea what wages he is on and what we can afford) then that could possibly be enough to land him if its the best bid. The locality of not needing to relocate also helps from Accy to here as its only an hour away.

He would be travelling from Liverpool to Morecambe instead of from Liverpool to Accrington 8-) 8-) 8-)

He could travel in Jimbo's car
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:He could travel in Jimbo's car

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get him a Company Minibus!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Sammy h » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Maybe we should re locate to Liverpool? :o :o
Sammy h

Postby mfcbro » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:58 pm

How do you know Kompany is going to sign for us Mark.
mfcbro

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:23 pm

marky No.1 wrote:It wouldn't be a bad idea to get him a Company Minibus!

Many years ago the likes of Coley, Dulla, Robbie, Burnsy, Jimmy Brown, Marvin Ali and even Griff and Jones all used to have a Vickers Minibus on long term hire which they travelled to Morecambe in.

Some of the stories I have heard about the happenings on that minibus ....... !! :shock: :? :? :oops:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Ntini » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:22 am

Having spoken to a few Gateshead fans up here recently, I'm a little worried that we still have Rundle contracted to us next season. He's only featured in one of the last four games for Gateshead, and two of those games he wasn't even on the bench!

Is this going to be a case of pay up and release him? I can't see him playing for us next season if I'm honest.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Previous

Return to General Discussion