O/T - The Alternative Vote Referendum

Re: O/T - The Alternative Vote Referendum

Postby Gnasher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Do you not think that it is the height of democracy that people CAN opt out of democratic voting?

You're quite right but I would say that having decided not to take part then you lose the right to question the decisions made by those voted into power.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Posh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Gnasher wrote:Do you not think that it is the height of democracy that people CAN opt out of democratic voting?

You're quite right but I would say that having decided not to take part then you lose the right to question the decisions made by those voted into power.

And to work in the public sector where policy is decided and implemented.

As for the main point 'democracy' from the Greek means 'people power', you don't have a lot of that if you don't vote. Therefore opting out is quite literally anti-democratic and undermines a society based on democracy.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

The key difference of opinion is, as previously mentioned, whether it is a democratic right or a democratic duty. I understand the 'duty' argument, I just don't agree with it, as I'm sure Posh and others will understand the 'right' argument, but don't agree with it.

The fundamental issue is one of why are politicians of all colour and at all levels, failing to engage and enthuse the electorate so that they want to vote? Why is our opinion of politicians is that they are self serving and despicable? Yes, the expenses scandals took opinion to an even lower level than before but it hadn't been high before then.

We need to somehow enthuse people so that they are interested. Otherwise, even forcing people to vote won't improve the outcomes. It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always wins...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Heinz wrote:
goneshrimping wrote:So you don't do facts, just pick a soundbite out of thin air and then complain when it's a load of old tosh?

We can all put together these things, and get wildly different results.
'Variations of the facts', 'selective facts', 'economy with the truth', there's all sorts of 'facts'.
It doesn't mean to say they're facts, but many people act like slaves to them.
Personally, I go for a gut feeling about a lot of things I think important.
If I'm wrong I don't look for a scapegoat, because Doris isn't a goat ;)

Well don't be too surprised when your gut feeling opinion doesn't hold much favour.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 pm

goneshrimping wrote:Well don't be too surprised when your gut feeling opinion doesn't hold much favour.

I'm rarely surprised.
An opinion is just that, but I'm never swayed by statistics or opinion polls.
I don't mind being wrong or making a mistake either.
Life's about making mistakes, and learning from them.
The more mistakes you make, the more you learn, the harder you try.
Plain Peter

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14 pm

It's been made easier than ever for folk to cast their vote, No excuses for not doing it............END OF!

As for those who put in the Tories I hope you're ready to face up to the Big shite that's coming :D
HALMA 1983

Postby bigreddog » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 pm

there is more than one vote on May 5th of course.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Previous

Return to General Discussion