Sammy McIlroy to Wrexham?

Sammy McIlroy to Wrexham?

Postby redted » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 pm

Wrexham fan in peace. There are strong rumours at Wrexham that Sammy McIlroy
is being lined up as the new Wrexham Manager after Brian Littles departure. Apparently he's quite eager to join Wrexham as they are a big club with lots of potential etc. Any thoughts?
Last edited by redted on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redted

Re: Sammy McElroy to Wrexham?

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:20 pm

I doubt one of the best managers in league 2 would lower himself to that tin-pot league 8-)
Last edited by Bare Ben on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bare Ben

Re: Sammy McIlroy to Wrexham?

Postby wijit » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:31 pm

redted wrote:Wrexham fan in peace. There are strong rumours at Wrexham that Sammy McIlroy
is being lined up as the new Wrexham Manager after Brian Littles departure. Apparently he's quite eager to join Wrexham as they are a big club with lots of potential etc. Any thoughts?

Thoughts on what? Wrexham are a "big club"? with "lots of potential"? or whether Sammy would go there?
Here's mine; No, No and no. But thanks for asking.
wijit

Postby redted » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:50 pm

"Thoughts on what? Wrexham are a "big club"? with "lots of potential"? or whether Sammy would go there?
Here's mine; No, No and no. But thanks for asking."

We'll see. By the way who's the bigger club? Just a few stat's Wrexham's Racecourse Capacity 15500, Morecambe's 6400. Biggest attendance this season; Wrexham 4901 Morecambe 2606 and that's after being relegated into the lowest league position in Wrexhams history. The figures say it all really regardless of what either of us think. But as I say I venture onto your boards in peace.
redted

Postby Christies Child » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:04 pm

You are more than welcome 'in peace'...just as you can depart 'in peace'...

As for Sammy...what will be will be.

You may have a bigger ground and bigger gates...but so have Oxford and I see that they are still in the basement!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby steve mfc » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:16 pm

redted wrote:Wrexham fan in peace. There are strong rumours at Wrexham that Sammy McIlroy

To be honest im not sure what you expect us to say obviously we don't want him to go, that's not to say that i think he will, its not the first time he has been linked to another club and im sure it wont be the last.
steve mfc

Postby slackAlice » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:17 pm

redted
But as I say I venture onto your boards in peace.

Its the 'big club' thing that hits a nerve - we always get it from other supporters. I've heard nowt about Sammy moving , quite the contrary he seems to be planning for the future. You can never say never in the Footy game and Wrexham won't be the first club to fancy him as their manager , he's a quality manager - Shrewsbury were sniffing around before Simpson took the job.
Looking at it objectively would Sammy fancy a move to Wrexham ? No direspect but your 15 th in the BSP and a bit off the pace already and I believe theres talk of a club take over ? Too much uncertainty there me thinks.
slackAlice

Postby redted » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:22 pm

"Looking at it objectively would Sammy fancy a move to Wrexham ? No direspect but your 15 th in the BSP and a bit off the pace already and I believe theres talk of a club take over ? Too much uncertainty there me thinks."

You're probably right. We'll probably be stuck with Brian Carey! Thanks for your thoughts and good luck for the rest of the season. Make sure you finish above Jester oops I mean Chester!
redted

Postby Curly » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:28 pm

The purpose of this post is to try to unsettle the club, players, fans or to see if he would be interested.
If you want to go fishing, why don't you come here for a holiday?
If you don't, then I suggest you REST IN PEACE, preferably by overdosing on daffodils. :twisted: :lol: :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:13 pm

I remember going to Wrexham a few seasons ago in the LDV (as it was then). It did seem like a big club at the time and we got tonked.

How times change. I know where I would rather be. I am sure Sammy feels the same.

Good luck in your quest back into the League, we know how hard it is to get out of.

'Big' teams have gone down before and not come back. Once the parachute payment is used up then you will struggle as your whole club structure will have to change. Ask Oxford. Lets hope those big crowds continue to generate you some income. All the best.
Mark S

Postby Raeyes » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Especially as the league contains many former "bigger" ex-league clubs who have fallen on hard times all wanting the same thing. I'm glad we got out when we did, as IMO the conference is becoming a difficult division to get out of. Each season you generally see two established sides joining you (mainly in a bit of a mess financially) and you don't always get any of the bigger sides going up (Morecambe and Daggers two seasons ago). You know that when these "bigger" sides eventually sort themselves out they will be in the mix for promotion and if they do get out they'll be well set for doing well in the leagues above (Yeovil, Donny, Hereford). No side to date has gone into the football league and been relegated back after one season. Says it all really.

Good luck, but hands off!
Raeyes

Postby i-love-mfc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:44 am

Ignore him. He is only trying to wind us up!

Perr..thet...iccc!!
i-love-mfc

Postby wijit » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:17 pm

redted wrote:"Thoughts on what? Wrexham are a "big club"? with "lots of potential"? or whether Sammy would go there?
Here's mine; No, No and no. But thanks for asking."

We'll see. By the way who's the bigger club? Just a few stat's Wrexham's Racecourse Capacity 15500, Morecambe's 6400. Biggest attendance this season; Wrexham 4901 Morecambe 2606 and that's after being relegated into the lowest league position in Wrexhams history. The figures say it all really regardless of what either of us think. But as I say I venture onto your boards in peace.

We've never claimed to be a "big club", and right now, nor should you. You're just another club doing less well than they used to.
Mind you, IF you are a big club, the then likes of Weymouth, York, Torquay, Stevenage, Rushden, Histon, Salisbury, Kettering, Ebbsfleet, Cambridge United, Burton, mansfield, Kidderminster and Crawley will be loving the fact that they're even bigger!
wijit

Postby badger » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Wrexham big club shite team :lol: :lol: :lol:
badger

Postby Bare Ben » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Ooooh we are friendly :oops: :?
Bare Ben

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:34 am

New Wrexham manager is Dean Saunders.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:27 am

Yeah he's also keeping his part time Wales job...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 643232.stm

Thats another Sammy rumour banged on the head anyway :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:45 am

marky No.1 wrote:Yeah he's also keeping his part time Wales job...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 643232.stm

Thats another Sammy rumour banged on the head anyway :D

Sammy is a high profile manager who is bound to be on the 'wish list' of numerous North West supporters.

I would like to think that he is of that dieing breed of managers to whom the word 'loyalty' still means something. I'm sure he recalls to this day the fact that we resurrected his managerial career at a time when he was somewhat at odds with the game in general. Sure the guy is ambitious and I believe that our ambitions are matched to his ambitions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I bloody hope so..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion