Should he stay or should he go...

Re: Should he stay or should he go...

Postby marky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:54 pm

ezz wrote:Without buying players how is Sammy supposed to build a small squad brimming of quality?
I'm pretty sure given the chance, every manager in the world would do that......

In exactly the same way pretty much every other manager at our level does? Sharpy is correct. The notion that Sammy McIlroy is in any way disadvantaged when compared to his League 2 managerial peers is complete fallacy. A good manager at this level (I've highlighted this for the benefit of Morecambe Jack) would make far better use of the resources that our board provide than Sammy often does. His strength most certainly isn't in the area of player recruitment and that's I believe he should go. One only has to look at John Coleman for the ultimate example of how to make use of what you have.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Harry MFC » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:STAY

We cannot be far off a bad team when we have taken 4 points off Chesterfield, 6 off Shrewsbury, 4 off Rotherham and so on... None of these results were lucky - we played Chesterfield off the park at their place and had we had a little bit more cutting edge up front we would have comfortably beat Rotherham last week.

That said, Sammy has made mistakes bringing in certain individuals - but that will happen with every manager at this level and Marky and others are naive to think otherwise. I actually think the squad does need some investment in terms of purchasing players (not salaries) - Sammy has to make do with frees in the majority of cases. Whenever Sammy has spent money on transfer fees the players have been successful; Baker, Duffy, Mullin (instrumental last season, regardless of feelings this season). Also, we have problems up front and we just will not find a striker at this level on a free who can get you 20 goals a season. Call it an investment or use some of the money we got for Duffy, and Baker.

The big difference between this season and last has been our home form - our away form is almost the same (6 wins last season, 7 wins so far this season) but our home form has been dire (6 wins this season, 14 last). Anyone who says the move to the Globe hasn't had a great affect on our performance is wrong. Will this improve now we are able to train there and with a proper preseason? I bloody hope so!

Little Shrimp your comment is rude and pathetic and I don’t care that you’re only 13 or whatever. Sammy is proven to achieve at this level and to say he should be sent back down to the conference is downright ridiculous. Maybe we should be sent there too because we’ve not yet shown we are capable of playing at a higher level?

Sammy deserves the chance to put right any wrongs this season – he deserves much more respect than he is getting for his achievements at this club. But he will never get that from certain people.

Exactly we CAN beat the good teams but not so many others.
Harry MFC

Postby ezz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Shrimpy wrote:
ezz wrote:
marky wrote:I agree. Sadly, Sammy only makes minimal use of youth players and seems incapable of building a small but quality squad. If those are the bounds in which we are to operate next season then he is clearly not the man for the job. Whether or not not he deserves a chance to make right the wrongs of this season is therefore irrelevant.

To build a small, quality squad takes longer than you think. Unless we splash a lot of money in transfer fee's as it costs to buy good players. We have a big squad because Sammy mainly utilises the free market and loan market, paying more in wages but nothing in transfer fee's.
Obviously there is a reason why those players are going for free or being loaned, I highly doubt we have enough money for more than one decent money signing. One thing Sammy has done well in the past, but hasn't done great this season is get the best out of those 'type' of players.
Without buying players how is Sammy supposed to build a small squad brimming of quality?
I'm pretty sure given the chance, every manager in the world would do that......

You speak as though every other club out there spends money on transfer fees each season.

Do a bit of research and look at the transfers of other clubs in our league, there aren't many who pay transfer fees, the vast majority of players at this level are brought in on free transfers.

This idea that certain supporters have that Sammy is at a disadvantage to other managers in the division because of financial constraints is a MYTH. Look at Bury, Torquay, Stevenage and Accrington, all similar size clubs to ours and in contention for promotion and tell me how much they have spent on transfer fees for players?

Nobody said Sammy was at a disadvantage, do you agree that as a club we cant afford many transfer signings which include a fee? Show me evidence of managers for the last 4 years in our division that have created a better squad and spent less on fee's, if not what your saying isn't credible. Where is your own research and proof? All you've given me is your opinion.
Accrington are very similar to us, their squad isn't full of quality, this season they have out performed massively with a very good team effort but their football has been cack just like ours.

marky wrote:
ezz wrote:Without buying players how is Sammy supposed to build a small squad brimming of quality?

In exactly the same way pretty much every other manager at our level does? Sharpy is correct. The notion that Sammy McIlroy is in any way disadvantaged when compared to his League 2 managerial peers is complete fallacy. A good manager at this level (I've highlighted this for the benefit of Morecambe Jack) would make far better use of the resources that our board provide than Sammy often does. His strength most certainly isn't in the area of player recruitment and that's I believe he should go. One only has to look at John Coleman for the ultimate example of how to make use of what you have.

So because of one season, where again many believed our squad WAS full of quality have failed to meet expectations means Sammy is a shit manager? Pipe down, what about last season? Good squad, full of quality? Came 4th? You didn't wax lyrical about him then did you Marky, about his great squad and his great achievements.
Yet every other manager has done a well better job over the same period of time because for once they've finished higher than us..........WOWOWOWOWZAS!!!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Pobble » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Bare Ben wrote:To be fair if he did go, he would have more time to be an individual, a thinker, a debater and throw the odd bit of controversy into the mix every now and then. xxxxxxx

I think you have just slightly used the wrong words for what he can do.
Pobble

Postby Shrimpy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 pm

ezz wrote:Nobody said Sammy was at a disadvantage

The tone of your message suggested that we can't compete as our transfer budget doesn't allow Sammy to bring in players of the necessary quality needed to build a good League 2 squad. My argument was that the vast majority of teams at this level operate under the same conditions and as such it isn't necessary to have a big transfer budget to achieve success.

ezz wrote:do you agree that as a club we cant afford many transfer signings which include a fee?

Yes, which is why I and many others feel Sammy should go as he seems to think that he needs to make these big money signings to achieve success which is completely false as hardly any other teams in this league do.

ezz wrote:Show me evidence of managers for the last 4 years in our division that have created a better squad and spent less on fee's

I gave you four teams in my initial reply and that was only from this season, never mind the past four!

ezz wrote:Accrington are very similar to us, their squad isn't full of quality, this season they have out performed massively with a very good team effort but their football has been cack just like ours.

What an odd statement, Accrington may well be playing League One football next season. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Shrimpy

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:STAY

We cannot be far off a bad team when we have taken 4 points off Chesterfield, 6 off Shrewsbury, 4 off Rotherham and so on... None of these results were lucky - we played Chesterfield off the park at their place and had we had a little bit more cutting edge up front we would have comfortably beat Rotherham last week.

That said, Sammy has made mistakes bringing in certain individuals - but that will happen with every manager at this level and Marky and others are naive to think otherwise. I actually think the squad does need some investment in terms of purchasing players (not salaries) - Sammy has to make do with frees in the majority of cases. Whenever Sammy has spent money on transfer fees the players have been successful; Baker, Duffy, Mullin (instrumental last season, regardless of feelings this season). Also, we have problems up front and we just will not find a striker at this level on a free who can get you 20 goals a season. Call it an investment or use some of the money we got for Duffy, and Baker.

The big difference between this season and last has been our home form - our away form is almost the same (6 wins last season, 7 wins so far this season) but our home form has been dire (6 wins this season, 14 last). Anyone who says the move to the Globe hasn't had a great affect on our performance is wrong. Will this improve now we are able to train there and with a proper preseason? I bloody hope so!

Little Shrimp your comment is rude and pathetic and I don’t care that you’re only 13 or whatever. Sammy is proven to achieve at this level and to say he should be sent back down to the conference is downright ridiculous. Maybe we should be sent there too because we’ve not yet shown we are capable of playing at a higher level?

Sammy deserves the chance to put right any wrongs this season – he deserves much more respect than he is getting for his achievements at this club. But he will never get that from certain people.

I was actually complimenting McIlroy on his success with conference level. I was just saying it might be an idea to get a manager who has a more proven capability at league two level.
Little Shrimp

Postby Bare Ben » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Pobble wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:To be fair if he did go, he would have more time to be an individual, a thinker, a debater and throw the odd bit of controversy into the mix every now and then. xxxxxxx

Bare Ben

Postby Morecambe Jack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:I was actually complimenting McIlroy on his success with conference level. I was just saying it might be an idea to get a manager who has a more proven capability at league two level.

Then it was a very back-handed compliment - do you actually know what Sammy has achieved at this level? He took Macclesfield up to the second division (equivalent of League 1), not to mention his success with us. He is one of the MOST proven managers at this level - hence why he is more often than not mentioned by other fans when they are drawing up lists of potential managers (including Bury fans very recently).
Morecambe Jack

Postby ezz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Shrimpy wrote:
ezz wrote:Nobody said Sammy was at a disadvantage

The tone of your message suggested that we can't compete as our transfer budget doesn't allow Sammy to bring in players of the necessary quality needed to build a good League 2 squad. My argument was that the vast majority of teams at this level operate under the same conditions and as such it isn't necessary to have a big transfer budget to achieve success.

ezz wrote:do you agree that as a club we cant afford many transfer signings which include a fee?

Yes, which is why I and many others feel Sammy should go as he seems to think that he needs to make these big money signings to achieve success which is completely false as hardly any other teams in this league do.

ezz wrote:Show me evidence of managers for the last 4 years in our division that have created a better squad and spent less on fee's

I gave you four teams in my initial reply and that was only from this season, never mind the past four!

ezz wrote:Accrington are very similar to us, their squad isn't full of quality, this season they have out performed massively with a very good team effort but their football has been cack just like ours.

What an odd statement, Accrington may well be playing League One football next season. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Sammy said that we need a big budget if we are to be successful i.e gain promotion, and he's not wrong. You need quality and lots of it, if not you need amazing team ethic and an effective playing style. Stanley have got that going on right, not playing good attractive football, but winning ugly.

Well yes you've named 4 teams you haven't showed their squad, their budgets how much they played for each player......because you have no idea. So all you've 'claimed' doesn't actually stand because you have no proof.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sharpy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

marky wrote: Sharpy is correct.

I'm glad someone has finally realised! People are agreeing with me even before i have expressed my views. No need to get jealous CC.
Morecambe and District Kite and Tins Society. Official Kite Owner
Sharpy

Postby Sammy h » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Sharpy wrote:
marky wrote: Sharpy is correct.

I'm glad someone has finally realised! People are agreeing with me even before i have expressed my views. No need to get jealous CC.

Are you CC's alter ego?
Sammy h

Postby Sharpy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

is CC not his own alter ego? he seems to pick and choose his opinions depending on the day
Morecambe and District Kite and Tins Society. Official Kite Owner
Sharpy

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:Sam there is never a bad moment to air ones generally forthright views, even if they p*ss people off. :lol:

i think you should go...........with your forthright views :geek:

i think you are a certain MPH ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Sharpy wrote:is CC not his own alter ego? he seems to pick and choose his opinions depending on the day

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Morectalk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I think Sammy has taken the team as far as it can go, just like Jim Harvey had before Sammy took over. It is time for fresh ideas, on the pitch as well as the training ground. The squad needs trimming & we need quality not quantity. A good win on Saturday, but let's face it, Burton are shite.
Morectalk

Postby Pobble » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
Pobble wrote:

I`m sure she is more attractive than you are but maybe not as feminine
Pobble

Previous

Return to General Discussion