Should he stay or should he go...

Should he stay or should he go...

Postby Sammy h » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Looking to next season as now IMO we are safe and can look forward to our 5th season in league two next year, what does everyone think on the Sammy situation?

Talking after the game yesterday we were discussing whether he should stay or go in the summer. Looking at the season we didn't have the best preparations with the new ground and the postponement of friendlies etc. It seems that we were concentrating more on the move than the actual football and the fact that the new ground did in fact need a football team to be playing well week in week out.

Having thought long and hard about it I think he should be given another stab (no pun intended) at it, re group this Summer and if it gets to November/December and we are not pushing for the play-offs then he should be gone with.

To a lot of my close friends who know me on here this post will be a shock, but ....

IN SAMMY WE TRUST.

PS - If anyone says that we are a small club and we should not be pushing for the play-offs because we were in the Northern premier league blah blah blah 15 years ago I will cry.
Sammy h

Re: Should he stay or should he go...

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:38 pm

STAY STAY STAY
Bare Ben

Postby marky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Go Go Go
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 pm

To be fair if he did go, he would have more time to be an individual, a thinker, a debater and throw the odd bit of controversy into the mix every now and then. xxxxxxx
Bare Ben

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Ill be happy to discuss this topic at the end of the season for now, ill back sammy to keep us up and winning till the end of the season!
thegentlegiant

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Sam there is never a bad moment to air ones generally forthright views, even if they p*ss people off. :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Bare Ben wrote:Sam there is never a bad moment to air ones generally forthright views, even if they p*ss people off. :lol:

i think you should go...........with your forthright views :geek:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:28 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:Sam there is never a bad moment to air ones generally forthright views, even if they p*ss people off. :lol:

i think you should go...........with your forthright views :geek:

i think you are a certain MPH ;)
Bare Ben

Postby George Dawes » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:35 am

STAY(but i dont want the board to force him)

to be fair i can forgive him for one bad season although he's brought ALL this on himself.

i am a forgiving type but i have a feeling he will be making the same mistakes all over again and will just be repeating ourselves on these forums again next season

and just like last season i don't want to see wholesale changes we only need to ship out 4/5 players lets build with the good players we do have we just need to be more dangerous in the final 3rd

lets wait and see prove us all wrong Sammy!
Last edited by George Dawes on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby Shrimpy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:00 am

Go.

Anything else would set the club back by a further couple of years due to the points outlined by DawZi above.

Sammy has already made noises in the press about how next season will require more investment etc etc so it's obvious that he doesn't feel that operating on a reduced budget (which we know we will be) will allow him to build the squad he needs as obviously a squad size of almost 30 isn't big enough. :roll:
Shrimpy

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 am

Stay

And learn from the mistakes of this season.

Next season will be so much better and all memories of this one will be instantly forgotten.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Lloydie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 am

I think the main point is, does he want to stay?
Lloydie

Postby ezz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:14 am

If Sammy wants to stay, I'd want him to re-group and begin next season as manager. If he's lost the desire to succeed here then obviously i'd want him to go but wish him well and thank him for his time and what he's achieved here.
For some reason we never seem to start fast, and this league is always improving dramatically, Crawley coming up will be looking to do very well and the teams that are coming down won't want to stay in league 2.
I don't think we'll be in a play off place come the first few months but as long as were mid-table and playing better football then i'll be happy with that, especially as our best form tends to come in the final run in.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Ntini » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:40 am

Lloydie wrote:I think the main point is, does he want to stay?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Lloydie! He's handed in his resignation at least once this season so I don't see why he would stay. If he was given a large transfer kitty then he might feel he has something to stay for. However, what happens if we give him the money he wants only for us to finish in the bottom half again?

I think we're now safe this season, and for that I'm very grateful to Sammy, Mark and Jim. I don't think Sammy will want to stay, but there's a man waiting in the wings that may be a very popular choice. Only time will tell.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby marky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:23 am

I think people have hit the nail on the head in terms of budget. You don't have to read between the lines to know Sammy feels he operates under financial constraints and he's been clear that he feels the squad needs investment. Indeed, that seems to have been the reason he offered to resign. It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer. CC seems to believe that playing squad budget is to be cut, in which case we need a manager far more capable of using a budget well. For every good player Sammy seems to unearth, there's 2 or 3 duff ones alongside and that cannot be allowed to happen again if we are to avoid a repeat of this season.

As for him learning from his mistakes, that isn't going to happen. He makes the same ones every pre-season and there must be a reason why his sides, in his words, ALWAYS make slow/bad starts. If he is manager come August, I don't think he can afford one.
marky

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 am

I would love to know what Sammy thinks is a reasonable budget?

The board have always backed him in every transfer window and loan window yet he still isn't happy.

I wouldn't be suprised if we were in the top 6/7 in the league when it came to playing budget.

Time to go for me and find someone who is willing to work with a smaller squad.

I don't think been told you can't have a squad of 30 is unreasonable.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 am

Go. Done all he can and I don't think he's quite capable of getting us any higher. Send him down to another Conference side so he can get them up via the playoffs again.
Little Shrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:10 am

IF Sammy does stay, and that's a BIG if as we understand close season talks are to be held with Mr Chairman, he definitely needs to get away from the "experienced and old headed player" mentality he tends to bring in to us every season.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Christies Child » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:11 am

marky wrote:I think people have hit the nail on the head in terms of budget. You don't have to read between the lines to know Sammy feels he operates under financial constraints and he's been clear that he feels the squad needs investment. Indeed, that seems to have been the reason he offered to resign. It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer. CC seems to believe that playing squad budget is to be cut, in which case we need a manager far more capable of using a budget well. For every good player Sammy seems to unearth, there's 2 or 3 duff ones alongside and that cannot be allowed to happen again if we are to avoid a repeat of this season.

As for him learning from his mistakes, that isn't going to happen. He makes the same ones every pre-season and there must be a reason why his sides, in his words, ALWAYS make slow/bad starts. If he is manager come August, I don't think he can afford one.

We can't sustain a playing buget and players expences of £1.2million as was the case up to May 2010. The budget up to May 2011 will show a significant increase I suspect.

Their is no doubt that the budget will be reduced as will the size of the squad which everybody agrees is too large. For me it's better to have 20 of quality on decent wages and a structured youth development programme.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:27 am

I agree. Sadly, Sammy only makes minimal use of youth players and seems incapable of building a small but quality squad. If those are the bounds in which we are to operate next season then he is clearly not the man for the job. Whether or not not he deserves a chance to make right the wrongs of this season is therefore irrelevant.
marky

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am

If he doesn't want to stay the should walk away at the end of the season however if he does stay something needs to change to ensure we don't find ourselves in the same situation next season.
heysham_mfc

Postby Morecambe Jack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:57 am

STAY

We cannot be far off a bad team when we have taken 4 points off Chesterfield, 6 off Shrewsbury, 4 off Rotherham and so on... None of these results were lucky - we played Chesterfield off the park at their place and had we had a little bit more cutting edge up front we would have comfortably beat Rotherham last week.

That said, Sammy has made mistakes bringing in certain individuals - but that will happen with every manager at this level and Marky and others are naive to think otherwise. I actually think the squad does need some investment in terms of purchasing players (not salaries) - Sammy has to make do with frees in the majority of cases. Whenever Sammy has spent money on transfer fees the players have been successful; Baker, Duffy, Mullin (instrumental last season, regardless of feelings this season). Also, we have problems up front and we just will not find a striker at this level on a free who can get you 20 goals a season. Call it an investment or use some of the money we got for Duffy, and Baker.

The big difference between this season and last has been our home form - our away form is almost the same (6 wins last season, 7 wins so far this season) but our home form has been dire (6 wins this season, 14 last). Anyone who says the move to the Globe hasn't had a great affect on our performance is wrong. Will this improve now we are able to train there and with a proper preseason? I bloody hope so!

Little Shrimp your comment is rude and pathetic and I don’t care that you’re only 13 or whatever. Sammy is proven to achieve at this level and to say he should be sent back down to the conference is downright ridiculous. Maybe we should be sent there too because we’ve not yet shown we are capable of playing at a higher level?

Sammy deserves the chance to put right any wrongs this season – he deserves much more respect than he is getting for his achievements at this club. But he will never get that from certain people.
Morecambe Jack

Postby ezz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:43 am

marky wrote:I agree. Sadly, Sammy only makes minimal use of youth players and seems incapable of building a small but quality squad. If those are the bounds in which we are to operate next season then he is clearly not the man for the job. Whether or not not he deserves a chance to make right the wrongs of this season is therefore irrelevant.

To build a small, quality squad takes longer than you think. Unless we splash a lot of money in transfer fee's as it costs to buy good players. We have a big squad because Sammy mainly utilises the free market and loan market, paying more in wages but nothing in transfer fee's.
Obviously there is a reason why those players are going for free or being loaned, I highly doubt we have enough money for more than one decent money signing. One thing Sammy has done well in the past, but hasn't done great this season is get the best out of those 'type' of players.
Without buying players how is Sammy supposed to build a small squad brimming of quality?
I'm pretty sure given the chance, every manager in the world would do that......
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Ntini » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm

I'd just like to point out that if he does go, and a new manager comes in, I will be expecting another tough battle next season until the new manager gets to grips with the club. I don't think a change at the top will bring immediate success (whatever anyone thinks that should be), so they have to be given time to build their own squad and systems.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Shrimpy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:34 pm

ezz wrote:
marky wrote:I agree. Sadly, Sammy only makes minimal use of youth players and seems incapable of building a small but quality squad. If those are the bounds in which we are to operate next season then he is clearly not the man for the job. Whether or not not he deserves a chance to make right the wrongs of this season is therefore irrelevant.

To build a small, quality squad takes longer than you think. Unless we splash a lot of money in transfer fee's as it costs to buy good players. We have a big squad because Sammy mainly utilises the free market and loan market, paying more in wages but nothing in transfer fee's.
Obviously there is a reason why those players are going for free or being loaned, I highly doubt we have enough money for more than one decent money signing. One thing Sammy has done well in the past, but hasn't done great this season is get the best out of those 'type' of players.
Without buying players how is Sammy supposed to build a small squad brimming of quality?
I'm pretty sure given the chance, every manager in the world would do that......

You speak as though every other club out there spends money on transfer fees each season.

Do a bit of research and look at the transfers of other clubs in our league, there aren't many who pay transfer fees, the vast majority of players at this level are brought in on free transfers.

This idea that certain supporters have that Sammy is at a disadvantage to other managers in the division because of financial constraints is a MYTH. Look at Bury, Torquay, Stevenage and Accrington, all similar size clubs to ours and in contention for promotion and tell me how much they have spent on transfer fees for players?
Shrimpy

Next

Return to General Discussion