Morecambe v Manchester United Monday 1st August 2011 745pm

Re: Morecambe v Manchester United Monday 1st August 2011 745pm

Postby LA1Shrimp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 am

We've announced probably the highest profile friendly we could have today, we'll gain revenue from it, expose the club to a wider and younger audience, and there's a chance we'll even get to witness a top quality game but instead of talking about that, people are argueing about whether it's even a good announcement.

Well said that man
LA1Shrimp

Postby Shrimpy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

I can't for the life of me work out how anyone can be negative about this.

Yes, it will be a Man Utd team made up of a bunch of players we've never even heard of but as fans of Morecambe Football Club we should be delighted that we've got a pre season fixture that will likely bring over 4000 people through the gate and will therefore be more money for the club to spend on the playing budget next season.

Don't we all support Morecambe anyway? I couldn't care less if it's some 16 year old boy or Wayne Rooney we're up against, I'll be there to watch Morecambe, not Man Utd.
Shrimpy

Postby ezz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:39 am

we could have announced were playing Barcalona, with messi, xavi, villa all guarenteed to play, but the moaning farts would have complained that we'd have just lost.
It's a friendly, mainly for fitness and to gel, its not a cup games, its a brilliant annoucenment and I bet there are a lot of teams envious just because of the name manchester united.

I hate united, but even i can see its a great announcement for the club.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:01 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote:
We've announced probably the highest profile friendly we could have today, we'll gain revenue from it, expose the club to a wider and younger audience, and there's a chance we'll even get to witness a top quality game but instead of talking about that, people are argueing about whether it's even a good announcement.

Well said that man

SECONDED !!!! How anyone can see this as negative is beyond me.

Well done to Neil and all concerned.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Thread title should read: Morecambe vs Manchester United reserves. Realistically, that's what it will be. Personally that doesn't interest me. I'll go if I'm around, but I won't be putting it in the diary as a showpiece event not to be missed. We'll no doubt have a large crowd, but for all the wrong reasons.

I'm sure it will be a great opportunity to bring in the local glory hunters. Let's make sure we fleece the twats for all they're worth. I want memorial scarves, I was there when Man Utd played at the Globe mugs, and inflatable penises that can be attached to the forehead. This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!!!
RedRedWine1

Postby George Dawes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 pm

lets just wait and see who they put out in the lineup the chances are they will be the star players of tomorrow plus maybe with 1 or 2 well known faces needing match fitness

well done the club good return with revenue aswell
George Dawes

Postby MfcChris » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Your posts over the last few weeks seem to me you work for the club LA1Shrimp?

People stop being negative. So what if it is Man United XI :roll:

At least we are having a home friendly this year :D
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby CASS » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Gnasher wrote:
morecambegeek wrote:Utd's reserves used to play at Christie Park every season when Blackburn reserves played there. It's no more glamorous than that.

And we had 3,000 at the first of those.

Quite a significant match..Forlan who had problems hitting a pigs arse with a shovel scored 4 and Kieran Richardson scored a cracker from just over the half way line. We where on the car wash as the North stand was full and a couple of full blooded tackles from Jeff Kenna nearly had Quinten Fortune join us...Never saw him near Kenna in the second half. Long way for the true Utd fans to travel....Last season we followed a Coach on the way to O.T. The flag in the back window said "Reading Reds"......Great news about the match
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Posh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:28 pm

ezz wrote:we could have announced were playing Barcalona, with messi, xavi, villa all guarenteed to play, but the moaning farts would have complained that we'd have just lost.

Producing a comparative example to prove a point is a worthwhile exercise. However Ezz you've jumped the shark / crossed into other time continuum / strayed into the realms of the bollocks. I think it's a great fixture for the club (it's our turn basically) and will appeal more for the name than the football. However a full strength Barcelona side would have everyone from 14 to 100 diddling themselves daft at the prospect. To say otherwise is sheer lunacy.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Lloydie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Lloydie

Postby Joel Ninety » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Lloydie wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/12958695.stm

not just us

"This is just going to be a fantastic fixture for the club," said Legg.

"It's great that Manchester United have agreed to help us out with this fixture and support clubs like ours as we move forward.

"The chance to see Manchester United and some of its bright new talent down here is something that supporters young and old will be looking forward to this summer," said Legg.

At least someone gets it.
Joel Ninety

Postby ezz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Posh wrote:
ezz wrote:we could have announced were playing Barcalona, with messi, xavi, villa all guarenteed to play, but the moaning farts would have complained that we'd have just lost.

Producing a comparative example to prove a point is a worthwhile exercise. However Ezz you've jumped the shark / crossed into other time continuum / strayed into the realms of the bollocks. I think it's a great fixture for the club (it's our turn basically) and will appeal more for the name than the football. However a full strength Barcelona side would have everyone from 14 to 100 diddling themselves daft at the prospect. To say otherwise is sheer lunacy.

On any other forum maybe......
Yes it'll probably be mainly reserves, none of us don't infact have any idea on what team Man united will play, potentially new signings, has-beens like owen might be there too :lol:
Just sickens me that the first reaction, is not to embrace the good news on here but who can be the first to pick holes in it.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm

MfcChris wrote:Your posts over the last few weeks seem to me you work for the club LA1Shrimp?

People stop being negative. So what if it is Man United XI :roll:

At least we are having a home friendly this year :D

Your alive?

Great move by the club, it will be nice to see a few friendliest at the globe unlike this season!
Sammy h

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Lloydie wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/12958695.stm

not just us

I see they are charging £12 an adult. As Llanelli had their fans forum removed for player abuse you can't read what their reaction is until it is replaced.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby LA1Shrimp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Your posts over the last few weeks seem to me you work for the club LA1Shrimp

I work in football so have knowledge of the inner workings of football, I also try to be reasoned in my responses and not the usual all or nothing like most people on here. I comment on things as they are in both footballing and footballing business terms, trying to leave much of the personal feelings at the door.
LA1Shrimp

Postby Gnasher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote:
Your posts over the last few weeks seem to me you work for the club LA1Shrimp

I work in football so have knowledge of the inner workings of football, I also try to be reasoned in my responses and not the usual all or nothing like most people on here. I comment on things as they are in both footballing and footballing business terms, trying to leave much of the personal feelings at the door.

Stringfellow?
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:22 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote: I also try to be reasoned in my responses, trying to leave much of the personal feelings at the door.

It must be the postcode eh? ;)
marky No.1

Postby LA1Shrimp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:22 pm

No, work in football not footballer or ex First team player. I am a supporter with an informed footballing knowledge that is all. Plus my responses are far too intelligent to be stringy ha ha
LA1Shrimp

Postby Gnasher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:48 pm

The fixture's great but if you set expectations high and don't meet them, you won't see crowds returning to Morecambe fixtures because they'll be going home disappointed. How it's marketed is the key to success.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby LA1Shrimp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:56 pm

It should be advertised as Manchester United nothing more nothing less, it is booked as a first team fixture as they have no other game that day and should be marketed accordingly.

People cant seriously be advocating that someone markets this as anything other than Manchester United, its the friendly all league teams dream of getting when they send off their request letters.

Some people will never be happy, to those people don't bother coming.

Maybe the club should start putting in disclaimers that the game may not meet expected standards.
LA1Shrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:08 pm

On holiday so very much hoping that a only a few 16 year olds will be played :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Little Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:17 pm

you never know there could be a few surprises in there like Pepe Reina :o ;)
George Dawes

Postby Gnasher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote:It should be advertised as Manchester United nothing more nothing less, it is booked as a first team fixture as they have no other game that day and should be marketed accordingly.

You know the bookings as well? Hello Neil?

Is it booked as a first team fixture? Neil say it's actually a Manchester United XI and if it is, that's what should be advertised.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby LA1Shrimp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 pm

All pre season games are booked as first team fixtures unless games clash. In which case they have to state which team is first, ressies or go with 2 XI's. As there is no clashing game this is a first team fixture, who they choose to pick in that first team is their perogative, as you dont have to register a 'squad' for pre season.

To advocate the club advertising such a fixture as anything less than Manchester United is both derogatory to Manchester United for offering us this opportunity and commercial suicide.
LA1Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Whichever variant of Manchester United they use I bet the name will remain on Tesco's Matchboard for some time! If it was me I would do it now :lol:
marky No.1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion