Steady progression.....

Steady progression.....

Postby Howe Magic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:09 pm

I know i will probably get shot down in flames for been positive but hey it beats been negative like some people on here....... Well if we take the first 4 games and compare them to the next 4 games we should be a bit more positive about the club.... FIRST 4 GAMES WYCOMBE (a) 1-1 ROTHERHAM (h) 1-3 BURY (a) 1-2 and DAGENHAM (1-2) Played 4 won 0 drawn 1 lost 3 for 4 against 8 pts 1/12 SECOND 4 GAMES SHREWSBURY (h) 1-0 BARNET (a) 1-1 GRIMSBY (h) 1-1 LINCOLN (a) 1-1 Played 4 won 1 drawn 3 lost 0 for 4 against 3 pts 6/12 I know its not twelve points from the last twelve but its certainly something to build on IF PEOPLE WANT TO BE NEGATIVE THATS UPTO THEM BUT MAYBE LOOK AT THE STATS ABOVE BEFORE HAVING A GO AT A TEAM THAT IS TRYING ITS BEST FOR THE FANS TO GET POSITIVE RESULTS
Howe Magic

Re: Steady progression.....

Postby Mark S » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:50 pm

I love the irony of starting a 'pro-positive' message with a negative statement! :lol:

That aside, can I just make a point on this negativity label surrounding Shrimpsvoices again?

There are a very tiny minority that post on here with negative comments. If you take them as a percentage of the membership it is around one percent. Even if you take them as a representation of the frequent posters on here they are outnumbered by around 10 to 1 (and usually jumped on very quickly, sometimes quite aggressively).

I know that you have said 'Some' posters on here, and this is not directed at you HM, more the collective, but the only headlines we as a group of fans are getting at the moment are bad ones. Shrimpsvoices is being seen as a bad place to be a part of and it will have a knock on effect of turning the occasional user off and keeping new members away.

This is a great forum to be able to keep the debate going between matches, but sometimes resembles a bar brawl! If we could all try and respect each other, and each others views, it would be a much better place IMO. I am part of the 'Rose tinted' brigade, but I can see the need for opposing views as that is what keeps the debate going.

Lets keep Shrimpsvoices part of the club, not an embarrassment to it. :)
Mark S

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:06 pm

In all honesty there has been a lot this season with which people could genuinely feel disappointed - particularly set against the 'highs' we've had in recent years. That includes results, overall performances and individual displays, including those by recent signings.

But that disappointment, in my mind, kind of 'assumes' that we 'should' be doing better and, for our club, that's where I think some people need a reality check.

We are now in the Football League, playing a lot of teams with much bigger average home attendances and who have been having those attendances for a lot longer than we've been anywhere near this level. They have bigger towns, bigger fanbases and much greater footballing tradition than us.

That's not to say that we should take mediocrity as the norm and not strive to be better, nor that we shouldn't urge the club to improve.

But we have come a long way very quickly and it may be that we have a bit of stutter - even for a season or two - before we are even in a position to push on again.

There's nothing wrong with 'wanting' us to do better, there is a lot wrong with saying we 'should' be above where we are.

And anyone who thinks people aren't trying their best for the Morecambe cause should take a look at Danny Adams and Jim Bentley throwing their bodies in front of the firing line at Lincoln on Saturday when no-one could have blamed them if the home side scored.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby SkinnyShrimp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:11 pm

I have no problem with the teams endeavour - the worrying thing is IMHO Sammy played pretty much the best 11 we have on Saturday against one of the weaker teams in the division and in all honesty the game should have been over at half time.
Granted we came back into it in the second half and the longer it went on the more I thought we could have done a smash and grab but that is what it would have been - the results as you point out have been better but based on performances I have seen recently its not like we dropped points in these recent draws - we gained a point.

Hopefully confidence will increase and the team will start playing football but these long balls up to Howe with nothing on the deck through the middle and out wide is too predictable and nothing like as good as what we were playing last season - we are missing Baker & Tommo big time but a fit and enthusiastic Michael Twiss will be like a new signing and liniking up with Howe & O'Carrol will be a good strong forward line.

All that said, this is not the strongest league this year and we have beaten Shrewsbury and didn't look too far off against top of the league Bury so I think we will be ok for middle of the table again which is as good as we should expect at this stage in the clubs development.

I would just like to see us play more football on the deck :)
SkinnyShrimp

Postby durhamshrimp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:26 pm

I reckon the supposed disappointment is due to, for at least the last 7/8 years, being a top team in our division, winning most weeks. Seeing us struggle a little now may then annoy a few people. I prefer to look at the bigger picture, we're in the league for god's sake. How long have we waited for this only to moan? Get a grip. I think the original poster is correct, we've started slow but are steadily getting better and most importantly not losing. My humble opinion is that the manager is doing a great job and we should all get behind Sammy and the team.

Oh and I forgot to say. A couple of results and we'd be right up there. There's not a lot in it at this stage of the season.
durhamshrimp

Postby OvertheBar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Coupla points.

1. Howe Magic puts some really good posts up and gets people thinking positive. So lets have a few more HM.

2. How come SVoices is getting a bad rep? For what? This is a good board compared to some that I used to be involved with, mostly because the Mods here do their job well without being too snippy. However, I think some of the heated debates should be allowed to run on a bit longer. Surely most of the regular posters on here are capable of 'debating' stuff without getting too personal. It also has a huge range of characters from the young rednecks (sorry if that offends you) to the old gits like me. Ace forum where everyone gets and gives loads of respect.

3. I thoroughly enjoy watching Barcelona play, they are astonishingly good in midfield and attack, but despite dominating almost all games they still lose or draw to the most unexpected teams. So it would be ridiculous to just focus on the parts of the game where Barca are dominating and say that the other team got lucky. Simple, Barca couldn't score more goals than the oppo. Same with us, however we do it...despite some rubbish performances and individual errors we ARE getting results. So lets give these lads a big cheer for grafting and nutting it out.

4. I am a glass half full and very 'rose tinted'. My other half is a glass half empty...but you should have heard her choral rendition of 'Morecambe til I die' last Saturday. Worth recording.

5. Agree wholeheartedly with HM, the results are improving.

6. Morecambe 2 Chesterfield 0
OvertheBar

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 pm

OvertheBar wrote:Coupla points.

1. Howe Magic puts some really good posts up and gets people thinking positive. So lets have a few more HM.

2. How come SVoices is getting a bad rep? For what? This is a good board compared to some that I used to be involved with, mostly because the Mods here do their job well without being too snippy. However, I think some of the heated debates should be allowed to run on a bit longer. Surely most of the regular posters on here are capable of 'debating' stuff without getting too personal. It also has a huge range of characters from the young rednecks (sorry if that offends you) to the old gits like me. Ace forum where everyone gets and gives loads of respect.

3. I thoroughly enjoy watching Barcelona play, they are astonishingly good in midfield and attack, but despite dominating almost all games they still lose or draw to the most unexpected teams. So it would be ridiculous to just focus on the parts of the game where Barca are dominating and say that the other team got lucky. Simple, Barca couldn't score more goals than the oppo. Same with us, however we do it...despite some rubbish performances and individual errors we ARE getting results. So lets give these lads a big cheer for grafting and nutting it out.

4. I am a glass half full and very 'rose tinted'. My other half is a glass half empty...but you should have heard her choral rendition of 'Morecambe til I die' last Saturday. Worth recording.

Don't you come on here and post stuff like that that make sence and stuff an' compliments the mods 'coz they're all twats 'n don't you be all positive 'cause we're shrimpsvoices an' we only do how crap we are... n' stuff. And anyway, you said you only had a couple of points, then posted six...

I was right about the mods though...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 am

Keith wrote:
OvertheBar wrote:Coupla points.

Don't you come on here and post stuff like that that make sence and stuff an' compliments the mods 'coz they're all twats 'n don't you be all positive 'cause we're shrimpsvoices an' we only do how crap we are... n' stuff. And anyway, you said you only had a couple of points, then posted six...

I was right about the mods though...

100% :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Return to General Discussion