O/T Jokes about Japan

O/T Jokes about Japan

Postby seasonsinthesun » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:49 pm

I have received some "topical" jokes about the disaster in Japan.
What are your thoughts? Are they tasteless and horrible or are they a way of coming to terms with the tragedies of life by bringing a sort of humour into tragic situations?
In fact, I have noticed that if a celebrity passes away, then immediately there are jokes flying around about that person. Is it a British trait, a kind of poking fun in adversity?
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Re: O/T Jokes about Japan

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 pm

fishing a bit there son :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby George Dawes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:08 pm

i think people only find that sort of thing funny only because its "taboo"

it's not like anybody in the right mind will actally think whats happened there in Japan is funny

but ultimately if you crack a joke about sensitive issues etc and somebody takes offense you pay the price
George Dawes

Postby Sammy h » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:40 pm

The phone companies get them out there (apparently)
Sammy h

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Sammy h wrote:The phone companies get them out there (apparently)

what?????????

so where does it start,my friends send me a sicko joke :?:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Each to their own but I don't think it's appropriate to make any jokes after this tragedy. I know some people find it hard to feel sorry or sympathise with them, either because they're foreigners or because they are pretty rich but we have to remember they lost just about everything almost in an instant. They've been left with nothing..

Still, there's always next season for the Gooners.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:54 pm

strange topic really, because when sensitive topics are joked about in male enviroments, tragedy, race etc, all the blokes laugh and no one usually has the balls to stand up and protest, one or two will any minute now over the keyboard, but i mean in the real world, before people start typing about their valiant bravery, that cannot be verified.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 pm

shrimper wrote:Each to their own but I don't think it's appropriate to make any jokes after this tragedy. I know some people find it hard to feel sorry or sympathise with them, either because they're foreigners or because they are pretty rich but we have to remember they lost just about everything almost in an instant. They've been left with nothing..

so if they are foreigners or rich noone gives a shit,wondered when money comes into this......... :(
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:strange topic really, because when sensitive topics are joked about in male enviroments, tragedy, race etc, all the blokes laugh and no one usually has the balls to stand up and protest, one or two will any minute now over the keyboard, but i mean in the real world, before people start typing about their valiant bravery, that cannot be verified.

whats strange about it,enlighten me
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:01 pm

strange subject to bring up really :roll:
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
shrimper wrote:Each to their own but I don't think it's appropriate to make any jokes after this tragedy. I know some people find it hard to feel sorry or sympathise with them, either because they're foreigners or because they are pretty rich but we have to remember they lost just about everything almost in an instant. They've been left with nothing..

so if they are foreigners or rich noone gives a shit,wondered when money comes into this......... :(

Erm..... well it has ruined football. Apparently.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:07 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:strange subject to bring up really :roll:

Apart from the fact keith posted a joke on here the over day that you are aware of

fishing indeed WUM
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:15 pm

not my post, so not my wind up, i have heard the jokes, i have a very loud mate who berates people for cracking them and good on him.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:23 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:not my post, so not my wind up, i have heard the jokes, i have a very loud mate who berates people for cracking them and good on him.

Theres a fishing rod with a multipler reel waiting for you on stone jetty...enjoy............
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :?: :?:
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:30 pm

shrimper wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:

Erm..... well it has ruined football. Apparently.

I think **WHOOSH** would have been a better response! Never mind Glen, I got it.

I have never had a problem distinguishing between 'life' & 'humour'. I don't think that any joke that I tell is a conscious or unconscious reflection of my real feelings regarding tragic events. Call it hypocritical or double standards, but I hate it if someone I know or suspect is a racist, tells a racist joke. But I will sometimes tell a 'racist' joke. The difference in my messed up head, is whether the joke is funny rather based upon hate. They are two different things entirely. Likewise, this event is catastrophic beyond imagination, I can't put in to words how dreadful it must be for the people who are battling through one horror after another. The mother whose child was ripped from her grasp and swept away is a nightmare that is beyond comprehension, a trauma that poor woman will re-live almost daily for the rest of her life. I don't associate that reality with the humour.

seasonsinthesun wrote:Are they tasteless and horrible or are they a way of coming to terms with the tragedies of life by bringing a sort of humour into tragic situations?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
IMHO
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Keith wrote: I think **WHOOSH** would have been a better response!

Nah - too predictable. I was hoping he'd say 'who mentioned football?' then I could be a real smartypants and say 'well, me actually, so ner!'.

:P :P
shrimper

Return to General Discussion