Calamity Joe Anyon

Calamity Joe Anyon

Postby mazatec » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:15 pm

I said to my colleague on the way to Bury Sammy dropped another transfer clanger, bringing calamity Joe as he`s known throughout . he will drop the ball at a forwards feet, however true to form a first half save that was top draw, brilliant, and then the clanger we were waiting to occur soft shot which he dived over.
The team had played brilliantly throughout and deserved a win no doubt, without Jevon Mullins Capaldi Sammy's nemesis is crazy signings, some who should be let go immediately.
What must the reserve goalkeeper think, not getting a chance and watching this debacle of a display by an hopefully on loan keeper which was predicted. by all and sundry.
mazatec

Re: Calamity Joe Anyon

Postby MfcChris » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Whilst you can't criticise a player who had a bad time at a previous club, like Baz did, and we will give Anyon full support; it is a joke. A player who has been watching Morecambe and training with Baz all season does not get a game.

Davies got his chances and in the obviously play-off semi's and final and did well.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby cultured » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm

"Amazing First Half Save"

Which one was that? Was that the amazing feat of nearly palming into the top corner a regulation catch from a cross/shot mishit that he was rooted to the spot for?

I would like to know how we got hold of him. Port Vale and Lincoln were wetting themselves when he found another club, and his highlight reel is disturbing. Who watched him? Or was he the best our preferred agents can find?

We could and should have gone for Alan Martin at Leeds - Scottish U21 keeper looking to get himself a new club hence into the shop window due to being kept out by Kasper Schmeichel.

I assume that would have needed scouting and digging around.

Seemed like the easy route to me.

And it's cost us a point.
cultured

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm

The aforementioned Alan Martin was on loan across the Bay at Barra' for a long period of time earlier this season, and they were none too confident in his abilities either.

Barrow fans likened him to Gary Sprake (also of Leeds United, for the benefit of the younger generation !!) - but only for his flapping and mis-handling abilities !!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby The Fury » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 pm

In a way I symapthise because Anyon was once a very reliable goalkeeper; a few years ago, when on form at Port Vale, he was highly rated, thought to be drawing interest from both Birmingham City and Liverpool. He suffered a serious injury though and a couple of errors since returning seemed to cause his confidence to evaporate. Seemingly Lincoln and ourselves are seeing the perpetuation of this lack of confidence. I thought he was quite steady last night until the error (and I'm sure had it not been for the wet conditions the error wouldn't have been made). It must be difficult for him and I bet he felt a very lonely man in the dressing room and on the coach back last night. All that sad, it was a routine save that should have been collected, which cost us a valuable and well deserved point.

What annoys me more though is the circumstances. Why have we been paying Lawrie Walker a wage all season as 'back-up' if he isn't going to be used when needed? We may as well have just registered Lee Jones as a token keeper if that was the case. I'm more annoyed at Sammy than Anyon for this; Anyon shouldn't have been signed in the first place, particularly in light of recent errors he has made for both Port Vale and Lincoln. Yet more bad management in my view.
The Fury

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Being a keeper myself, I would admit those types of shots can be hard to save. However, he should have just parried it away and out of harm to avoid an error.
Little Shrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:49 pm

He should have caught the bloody thing, it was a slow motion shot that was right at him. Let's not make excuses, he is clearly dog shit. He made the same mistake in the first half and got away with it. He made one good save from Lowe which wouldn't have counted as Lowe was offside. He had nothing to do all game othe than these three saves (a good job really). It's the defence that I feel sorry for, they didn't deserve that. Oh, and the young kid Walker.
RedRedWine1

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

There's a thread on the football forum and most Lincoln fans on there are happy to get rid of him for the month!
heysham_mfc

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

RedRedWine wrote:He should have caught the bloody thing, it was a slow motion shot that was right at him. Let's not make excuses, he is clearly dog shit. He made the same mistake in the first half and got away with it. He made one good save from Lowe which wouldn't have counted as Lowe was offside. He had nothing to do all game othe than these three saves (a good job really). It's the defence that I feel sorry for, they didn't deserve that. Oh, and the young kid Walker.

Sm has a thing about youngsters at the club,no experience so in his view they arnt good enuth to play at his club but thats sms downfall he doest want to play youth.......
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby broadwayshrimp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 pm

RedRedWine wrote:He should have caught the bloody thing, it was a slow motion shot that was right at him. Let's not make excuses, he is clearly dog shit. He made the same mistake in the first half and got away with it. He made one good save from Lowe which wouldn't have counted as Lowe was offside. He had nothing to do all game othe than these three saves (a good job really). It's the defence that I feel sorry for, they didn't deserve that. Oh, and the young kid Walker.

So playing devils advocate if Walker had played and made the same clanger would you have pilloried him in the same way or would you have put it down to just one of those things.
broadwayshrimp

Postby outsider » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Joe has plenty of experience at this level and had a superb game against us a couple of years ago

This is from The Visitor, and I think it reveals Sammy's recruitement policy, so in 5 years time if Sammy is still here, expect to see Roberts, Sodje, Lowe, Bishop, Donaldson and Ryan, in our squad ;)
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Were you at the game last night broadway?

I'd have been equally as critical such was the absolute basic standard of the error, but probably been a little more understanding given his lack of experience and young age. If Walker made that error I'd advise him to seek a new profession.

Anyway, your question is hypothetical and pointless. The reason we have brought Anyon in is through fear that Walker isn't up to the job and may make errors. Sammy brings in Anyon who has been a failure at his last two clubs and proved to be a shambles last night making and made basic errors. We pay money for the privalige to witness this pile of toss and in the process shatter the confidence of another keeper the club have forked out money to all season. I'm sorry, but the whole thing stinks. I'm failing terribly in trying to phantom any logic behind bring Anyon here, and that from somebody who vociferously backs Sammy Mac to the hilt.
RedRedWine1

Postby Posh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:08 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:

So playing devils advocate if Walker had played and made the same clanger would you have pilloried him in the same way or would you have put it down to just one of those things.

I don't think it's fair to blame Joe Anyon. Sure he lost us a point with a soft goal he conceded but in my view he shouldn't have been playing last night to give the goal away. Lawrie's our number two keeper and would have deserved his chance to play, he knows his team mates, has trained with his team and they probably know his strengths and weaknesses. Not playing him was the problem. Maybe, like other players, Sammy's happy to overlook recent failings when signing others problem players. Sadly it's cost us dearly this season.

As George Michael said, 'you got have faith, a faith, a faith bay-beeee'.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby broadwayshrimp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:18 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Were you at the game last night broadway?

Yes I was and imo I thought Anyon did everything that was asked of him for a first outing. Okay he dropped a clanger which cost us the game but these things happen to any keeper at any time. Just think your reaction is OTT. I get the impression that unless a new player is an instant hit you've got it in for them a la Capaldi.
broadwayshrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:26 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:Were you at the game last night broadway?

Yes I was and imo I thought Anyon did everything that was asked of him for a first outing. Okay he dropped a clanger which cost us the game but these things happen to any keeper at any time. Just think your reaction is OTT. I get the impression that unless a new player is an instant hit you've got it in for them a la Capaldi.

I TINK hes upset that we lost :lol: :lol: :lol:
shrimpnsave

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:14 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:There's a thread on the football forum and most Lincoln fans on there are happy to get rid of him for the month!

http://www.lincolncity-mad.co.uk/news/t ... ndex.shtml
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Anyon had three shots to save; one he flapped at and it almost went in, one he saved well but Lowe was offside anyway, and the other he totally cocked up and it went in. I fail to see how this is doing everything that was asked of him, when given that Sammy clearly thinks that Walker isn't up to the job Anyons only role is to be competent and catch the ball. Last night and at the other clubs Anyon has been at he has been anything but competent, hence he is available on loan.

I'm just fed up of seeing substandard players pull the shirt on, or worse come here and sit on the bench and limit the progression of others. I'm as fair and as reasoned as they come, but when a player does not have the ability to improve our side why pussy-foot around the issue? Despite a few tossing it off over Capaldi, Sammy now has him back on the bench where he deserves to be. I fail to see how bringing him here has improved our side at all other than from throw-ins, in which case what is the point of his recruitment by the club? Answers on a postcard addressed to Footballing Agents Cartel, PO BOX Pot47043ad, Norway.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:15 pm

I agree entirely with RRW and Posh. Anyon is a goalkeeper with zero confidence who must have spent no more than a few hours with his new team mates, having not played in a competitive match for ages. According to Bury fans, he was almost singlehandedly responsible for their thrashing of Lincoln earlier this season. He managed to win them 3 points again last night. He should never have been playing. This is exacly what I mean when I talk about Sammy's recruitment policies and exactly why I think he should go. He's worked wonders over the last few years but decisions like the one to bring Anyon to the club have cost us precious points. Poor Walker must be wondering why he's here.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Sammy h » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 pm

I wonder who will play on Saturday?
Sammy h

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Sammy h wrote:I wonder who will play on Saturday?

Anyon of course.................

sammy cant lose face now ;)
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:14 pm

The thing is, we wouldn't have signed him at all if our club secretary could decipher the manager's accent a bit better.

When Rochey got injured Sammy asked him to 'see if anyone is available'.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Vinny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:54 pm

I think Sammy asked "Jknow anyone?" but it wasn't a good line.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby George Dawes » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 pm

a big slap in the face for Walker being a number two goalkeeper who's patiently been waiting for a chance in the first team to prove himself, now is that not the whole point of having a squad?

just no incentive, if i was him id look for another club in the summer..
George Dawes

Postby Loyalsupporter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:47 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:There's a thread on the football forum and most Lincoln fans on there are happy to get rid of him for the month!

http://www.lincolncity-mad.co.uk/news/t ... ndex.shtml

According to Lincoln city-MAD they think Anyon is at Southend

"Poor old Joe Anyon is still costing his club the points. Last night the Imps calamity keeper, allowed Lenell John-Lewis’ shot to squirm under his left hand and into the net. The 85th minute winner for the Shakers must have been gutting for the Shrimpers who had battled hard for a point.

We know the feeling Shrimpers we know the feeling. A month can be a long time in football."
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Just seen the highlights which showed a better view. Absoloutely sh**e from Anyon he had it in his hands and just managed to somehow pass the ball through his body!
Little Shrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion