After 2 wins - is it still time for Sammy to go ??

After 2 wins - is it still time for Sammy to go ??

Postby Shrimp Ram » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Just thought i'd ask, or does two wins change everything ??
Not everything's Black and White but it help's - COYR !!!!!!
Shrimp Ram

Re: After 2 wins - is it still time for Sammy to go ??

Postby broadwayshrimp » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Shrimp Ram wrote:Just thought i'd ask, or does two wins change everything ??

The wins obviously help but I guess the jury is still out. That said, from what I saw yesterday there seems to be a new optimism about the team, management and supporters. Interesting.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Shrimp Ram » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 pm

What always bothers me is even when a manager gets a change in fortune, The doom and gloom squad are still waiting for a slip up to say "told you so - etc"

I honestly believe Sammy is now in the 'No win' time of his reign at this club.

Where does he go from here I ask ???
Shrimp Ram

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Shrimp Ram wrote:What always bothers me is even when a manager gets a change in fortune, The doom and gloom squad are still waiting for a slip up to say "told you so - etc"

Bury, I would think.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Shrimp Ram » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:58 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
Shrimp Ram wrote:What always bothers me is even when a manager gets a change in fortune, The doom and gloom squad are still waiting for a slip up to say "told you so - etc"

Bury, I would think.

Bury eh ! At least it's not Stockport County lol
Shrimp Ram

Postby parkyboy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Some people ae never happy
parkyboy

Postby marky » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Unlike many of the posters on here, I prefer to maintain a level of consistency. We could win every game between now and the end of the season and I would still believe that Sammy McIlroy isn't the right manager for the long term future of the club without a complete overhaul of his recruitment policies and methods. It's a problem that has been somewhat masked over for the last few seasons but it has to be the biggest lesson we take from this one. We need a long term plan for player recruitment. I'm not sure that's necessarily something Sammy buys into. If he does, he's not proved it thus far.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby jbcshrimp » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:57 pm

something like 20 years ago a cirtain Alex Ferguson took management of M U F C. In his firdt two years they finished forth bottom of the then division 1. Martin Edwards the then chairman stood by him, I wonder what happened since then? Oh yeah he got knighted! COME ON YOU SHRIMPS !!!!!!!
jbcshrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 pm

I've always been consistent; Sammy is the king. 7th on the list of longest serving managers in their current jobs, 4 seasons of league two football and counting.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:14 pm

25 years this year I believe. His job was apparently saved by that Mark Robins goal. Maybe he will be sacked in the morning after todays performance, tactics and result :lol:

Surprised Ben has been able to contain himself .
marky No.1

Postby Sammy h » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:20 pm

marky No.1 wrote:25 years this year I believe. His job was apparently saved by that Mark Robins goal. Maybe he will be sacked in the morning after todays performance, tactics and result :lol:

Surprised Ben has been able to contain himself .

He managed to last 90 minutes in the dog without being thrown out. He was either high on passion, alcohol or drugs. Probably all three!
Sammy h

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Possibly, rather than probably I hope
marky No.1

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:01 am

sammy will go in the summer, after keeping us up.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:15 am

marky wrote:Unlike many of the posters on here, I prefer to maintain a level of consistency.

Yup, and that 'consistency' is never happy, never satisfied.

marky wrote:We could win every game between now and the end of the season and I would still believe that Sammy McIlroy isn't the right manager for the long term future of the club...

If we win every game from now until the end of the season, we'd be in Division One (twelve wins would definitely result in a play off position, then the next three wins to go up). If little ol' Morecambe was in Division One (playing Preston North End a couple of times in league matches) I'd be able to over-look some shortcomings and enjoy the ride! It doesn't mean I wouldn't be critical sometimes (I have been before, no doubt I will be again) BUT I'll be delighted with our achievements.

marky wrote:I would still believe that Sammy McIlroy isn't the right manager for the long term future of the club without a complete overhaul of his recruitment policies and methods. It's a problem that has been somewhat masked over for the last few seasons but it has to be the biggest lesson we take from this one. We need a long term plan for player recruitment. I'm not sure that's necessarily something Sammy buys into. If he does, he's not proved it thus far.

Are you sure you aren't Negative Ned? He always managed a reasonable nugget of sense but then buried it in a huge pile of poo! If Sammy Mac was perfect, he wouldn't be managing Morecambe! He has his faults, and yes, some of his recruitment/scouting/youth development in my most humble opinion could be improved. Perhaps that's an area for delegation? But to say the 'problem' has "been somewhat masked over for the last few seasons" makes it sound like you were thoroughly pee'd off with last season's FOURTH PLACE because you wanted to revel in his shortcomings. Fourth place finish didn't 'mask' areas for development, they suggested that there was MORE TO COME! Yes, as I say, I too believe that there are weaknesses that can be addressed but even if they had been, I don't think we'd have finished higher than fourth... do you? "Long term future"? I'm happy that we've a board and management that have delivered on & off the field improvements year on year for about 15 years, I think we can trust that between them, our "long term future" is safer than most. European football? Premiership? Probably not. But a safe "long term future"? Not a major worry.

It's interesting, you never give Sammy McIlroy any credit, and you never gave Jim Harvey any credit. Have you ever given ANY Morecambe manager credit? Les Rigby, Don Cubbage? Leighton James?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:16 am

My view hasn't changed but then it hasn't changed much over four years. Great job in getting us promoted, good team motivator but with a decent budget a poor recruiter of players. We're not immune from the economic downturn and manager's have to make their bosses money work harder. After another massive buying spree in the summer a poor season is being turned around by loanees and players we've brought back in like Garry Hunter who've been sidelined. I'm delighted he's turned it around for the third season on the bounce but I'm one of the ones that would like to see another manager get a chance in the summer to re-shape the side, offload some more poor signings and try to build something different. I'm not fickle enough to change that view whether we play well or badly.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby The Fury » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:57 am

marky wrote:Unlike many of the posters on here, I prefer to maintain a level of consistency. We could win every game between now and the end of the season and I would still believe that Sammy McIlroy isn't the right manager for the long term future of the club without a complete overhaul of his recruitment policies and methods. It's a problem that has been somewhat masked over for the last few seasons but it has to be the biggest lesson we take from this one. We need a long term plan for player recruitment. I'm not sure that's necessarily something Sammy buys into. If he does, he's not proved it thus far.

This.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. He's been here long enough now that his flaws, particularly concerning player recruitment, are all too evident and cannot continue.
The Fury

Postby marky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 am

Keith wrote:Yup, and that 'consistency' is never happy, never satisfied.

If we win every game from now until the end of the season, we'd be in Division One (twelve wins would definitely result in a play off position, then the next three wins to go up). If little ol' Morecambe was in Division One (playing Preston North End a couple of times in league matches) I'd be able to over-look some shortcomings and enjoy the ride! It doesn't mean I wouldn't be critical sometimes (I have been before, no doubt I will be again) BUT I'll be delighted with our achievements.

I actually said last season that I didn't believe we were ready for League 1 football and my position on that front hasn't changed. I was actually very happy finishing fourth last season and I said so on here.

Keith wrote:If Sammy Mac was perfect, he wouldn't be managing Morecambe! He has his faults, and yes, some of his recruitment/scouting/youth development in my most humble opinion could be improved. Perhaps that's an area for delegation? But to say the 'problem' has "been somewhat masked over for the last few seasons" makes it sound like you were thoroughly pee'd off with last season's FOURTH PLACE because you wanted to revel in his shortcomings. Fourth place finish didn't 'mask' areas for development, they suggested that there was MORE TO COME! Yes, as I say, I too believe that there are weaknesses that can be addressed but even if they had been, I don't think we'd have finished higher than fourth... do you? "Long term future"? I'm happy that we've a board and management that have delivered on & off the field improvements year on year for about 15 years, I think we can trust that between them, our "long term future" is safer than most. European football? Premiership? Probably not. But a safe "long term future"? Not a major worry.

Sorry, I am afraid I have to disagree with you wholeheartedly here. Finishing fourth with an end of season flourish DID mask a number of shortcomings on the part of the management. We had quite a prolonged poor start, had an amazing run prior to Christmas, an an equally long poor run after it then finished the season really well to move up the table at the expense of major inconsistencies from rival teams. This time, with a much better squad with far more depth, the bad start lasted right through to the end of February. When I talk about long term future in this context, it is in terms of the football team itself. I have no doubts over the club as a whole.

keith wrote:It's interesting, you never give Sammy McIlroy any credit, and you never gave Jim Harvey any credit. Have you ever given ANY Morecambe manager credit? Les Rigby, Don Cubbage? Leighton James?

You're actually completely wrong on this front. Whilst I don't view Jim Harvey with quite the same misty eyes as some people, he of course gets credit for getting us into the Conference and making us the (general) non-league force that we were. However, he was never going to get us into the Football League and was rightly sacked. If he was as good as some people like to think he is, he would be managing a team much higher than the Conference North. Sammy McIlroy gets credit for doing what Jim Harvey never could (and incidentally is a better manager) and for giving us a solid foundation as a league club from which to build on. But, as with Harvey before him, he (in my view) is not the right man for the next stage of our incredible journey over the last 2 decades.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:35 am

I think that's a farer response Marky. It's your frequent hyperbole that tends to wind me up! A reasoned response that isn't prefaced with 'we could win every game until the end of the season...'
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 am

marky wrote:Unlike many of the posters on here, I prefer to maintain a level of consistency. We could win every game between now and the end of the season and I would still believe that Sammy McIlroy isn't the right manager for the long term future of the club without a complete overhaul of his recruitment policies and methods. It's a problem that has been somewhat masked over for the last few seasons but it has to be the biggest lesson we take from this one. We need a long term plan for player recruitment. I'm not sure that's necessarily something Sammy buys into. If he does, he's not proved it thus far.

I'm just wondering how a couple of poor runs 'mask' a good season? The end of the season truly reflects how well you've done. 4th last year, top half every other year. He hasn't masked anything, all you've done is remember that we could play poor. Yes we started slowly a few seasons now, but at the end of the season it's always been a successful campaign.
Plus if you don't think we were ready to go up, how can Sammy win? He either keeps us in league 2 and you don't like him, or he got us to league 1 and you feel it's too soon.
Any team can have extemely poor spells, ours has so many new faces in this season it was always bound to happen. Still I'll always judge him at the 'end' of the season because so far he hasn't let any of us down......ever
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:06 am

Can I just point out that we haven't turned it around yet, unless two wins on the bounce counts as turning our whole season around?
Sammy h

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:49 am

The Fury wrote:You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. He's been here long enough now that his flaws, particularly concerning player recruitment, are all too evident and cannot continue.

But Sammy is Gotham City's White Knight, Mr Harvey 'two-face' Dent. You can't stroll out Batman quotes to align to king Sammys tenure in an attempt to sound profound. It's just not cricket.

Supporters support. Onwards to Bury!!!
RedRedWine1

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 am

Its a hypothetical question anyway.

Anyone who has read Mr Mcguigan's comments recently will realise that Sammy has his full confidence and will be our manager next season.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ezz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 am

Sammy h wrote:Can I just point out that we haven't turned it around yet, unless two wins on the bounce counts as turning our whole season around?

No you cant point that out......

I think we'll be safe, there's definately improvement and the new players that sammy has got in our doing the business. If you slate him for his bad signings he deserves praise for the good ones. Hurst, Holdsworth and Carlton are obviously having a good effect on the team.
My point was that at the end of previous seasons it has always turned out successful, that's how I feel about this one too. Successful being we stay up.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:05 pm

To be fair to all, I think the question is more about whether people have changed their mind? I think the 'out' camp will remain unconvinced, the 'in' camp more confident in their assertions.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Like I never boo players (but might suggest a manager shouldn't select them if they have a lot of bad games) - as long as I think our manager is a decent, honest man trying his best then I am happy to support him while he is our manager and leave the decisions about his future to a board which I trust.

Of course I have my views on what aspects of a manager's approach I like and what I don't but as long as he's in charge of the club I support, I'll back him.

If he had led us to relegation last season and again this, I'd still support him if I believed he was doing his best - my view of the board's decision-making would change in those circumstances, though.

Managers have dozens of decisions to make every week, thousands every season with regard to players, tactics, team selections etc and I suppose the only real judge of how they're doing is the position at the end of the season.

Sammy has got us to our highest position in our history each season he's been in charge.

That can't go on forever, of course, but it should at least buy him a bit of time when things get tough.

As for winning every game from now to the end of this season - why not, eh!?

Let's keep it going at Bury!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Next

Return to General Discussion