Chesterfield 0 Morecambe 2 Hurst, Spencer

Re: Chesterfield 0 Morecambe 2 Hurst, Spencer

Postby Robert Jackson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Of course results like this keep McIlroy in the job a little longer, which is something many will not be happy about.
Robert Jackson

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Robert Jackson wrote:Of course results like this keep McIlroy in the job a little longer, which is something many will not be happy about.

Why wouln't they be happy? People only want McIlroy out if performaces and results arn't going our way.

Fantastic result today although Southend will be a massive test.
heysham_mfc

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Robert Jackson wrote:Of course results like this keep McIlroy in the job a little longer, which is something many will not be happy about.

No, I'm sure you'd rather we were relegated and McIlroy get sacked, than be successful and him keep his job?

We went to top of the league Chesterfield, played them off the park, won 2-0 and in doing so, became the first away team to keep a clean sheet at their new ground. I'm sure there are some who will not be happy about that, but I, as one Morecambe fan, am bloody delighted! I'll enjoy my weekend, those of you who wanted us to lose can have a good cry.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Might not have to read Pobble's tosh for at least another week now, incredible result
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Ego Tripping » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Just got back. We were fantastic today. Top performance all round but especially from drummy, Carlton & spencer. They just couldn't handle our front 2 & drummy picked up everything in midfield. A performance full of guts & more importantly quality. Got to say the fans were amazing. Just shows what happens when you support the team.......
Ego Tripping

Postby WULLY BULLY » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Confidence sky high and a mid table finish! Cum on you reds!
WULLY BULLY

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:Just shows what happens when you support the team.......

...and the team give you something to support??? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ego Tripping » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:43 pm

The drum & the singing started at 2.45. Acknowledged by mark lillis & all the boys....
Ego Tripping

Postby Aspers » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Oh What a beautiful morning 8-)
Aspers

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:47 pm

FANTASTIC result, AND performance by the sounds of it. (Wonder where Quinny was? Had some other chap covering for Radio Lancs?)

MUST SURELY be the League 2 Performance Of The Week ?

Well done Sammy and the lads. Onwards and upwards now, starting Saturday next v. Southend !!

:D :D :D
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Aspers wrote:Oh What a beautiful morning 8-)

have you waken up to a fanny.............
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby ezz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Everyone who didn't go today, never go again. Your now clased as bad luck
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Fantastic performance today, it was a fully deserved win. Everyone played well I was particulaly impressed with Danny Carlton and Jimmy Spencer up front both worked really hard and it paid off.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 pm

How many did we take Jack ?
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Not sure of the official number and didn't try to count, but it was a fairly good turnout actually. Great atmosphere too!
Morecambe Jack

Postby marky » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:14 pm

How did Carlton play generally? Does he still have the pace of old? Incidentally, one player I am delighted for is Andy Fleming. Since Stanley left it sounds like he's been the only midfielder to really come out of our February nightmare with any credit before today's game and that's mainly because he's finally been given a run in the starting line up. Whatever happens over the next 2-3 months, he's the player we need to build the rest of our midfield around.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:18 pm

marky wrote:How did Carlton play generally? Does he still have the pace of old? Incidentally, one player I am delighted for is Andy Fleming. Since Stanley left it sounds like he's been the only midfielder to really come out of our February nightmare with any credit before today's game and that's mainly because he's finally been given a run in the starting line up. Whatever happens over the next 2-3 months, he's the player we need to build the rest of our midfield around.

from what i have heard dc is fully fit and has pace so imo he has to be included ;)
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:How many did we take Jack ?

A hundred and eighty something, 187 IIRC.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Well the 187 certainly made most noise. I think the other 6000 were quite bemused
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby The Fury » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Keith wrote:

No, I'm sure you'd rather we were relegated and McIlroy get sacked, than be successful and him keep his job?

We went to top of the league Chesterfield, played them off the park, won 2-0 and in doing so, became the first away team to keep a clean sheet at their new ground. I'm sure there are some who will not be happy about that, but I, as one Morecambe fan, am bloody delighted! I'll enjoy my weekend, those of you who wanted us to lose can have a good cry.

I think what he might be getting at (this is, at least, how I interpreted it) Keith, is that McIlroy's recruitment policy simply can't continue the way it has into the summer and beyond, and with him in charge there is likely no escaping that. Certainly, I think that view is extremely valid, irrespective of a surprising, and by all accounts brilliant and fantastic, victory away at the league leaders. Rightly, the management and the players will take the credit for masterminding and producing a great result, at a much needed time, but whilst it brings us a step closer to survival, it doesn't veil the problems of which we are all aware concerning Sammy's player recruitment.

Of course, Robert could just be a miserable git weeping in a tank of his own insecure, unsatisfying squalor....
The Fury

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm

I wouldn't say it was his pace I was impressed with, I don't actually think he is very pacey (but probably more so than everyone else in our team). However, his first touch was really good (better than Jevo) and he would play simple passes and then look for space which was refreshing. He was always getting stuck in all game and closing people down as well.

On another note, from Chesterfield's forum:

Morcambe (sic) couldn't have brought a hundred fans and yet they were impressively vocal throughout. (particularly cheeky was their 'nice ground, ---- fans' chant, they must have been hugely impressed considering their new build bless 'em)

:D
Morecambe Jack

Postby marky » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:I wouldn't say it was his pace I was impressed with, I don't actually think he is very pacey (but probably more so than everyone else in our team). However, his first touch was really good (better than Jevo) and he would play simple passes and then look for space which was refreshing. He was always getting stuck in all game and closing people down as well.

Well yes, it wouldn't take much for him to have more pace than some of his rivals in the striking positions but if he can use what pace he has with movement and a good first touch then he could be an asset to us in the next few months. One note of caution, however. Throughout this season all our strikers have had the odd good game but they have all yet to put in consistently good performances. Let's hope Carlton and Spencer get the chance to forge a good partnership because our future as a football league club depends on it!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Didn't think I would ever say it again but the NORTH STAND was rocking today :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby james456 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:47 pm

A scrappy game in the first half at times with players opting to see how high they could kick it seemingly. But the ugly side of the game - clearing our lines, closing down and getting a foot in was where we excelled and it got us three points today.

Having said that, we passed the ball into wide positions quite well and we got bodies into the box more frequently than we have been doing. The defence was strong today, as was the midfield with Hurst showing some skill and contributing a good goal. Spencer had a good game with his usual fine first touch and a nice volleyed second goal for us. Danny Carlton was my man of the match though - nothing truly spectacular but he showed some decent passing, touches and team play (I definitely think he's improved a bit as a player since leaving us). Most impressive though was his work rate - constantly running and making a nuisance of himself. He still has some pace left as well.

An excellent win and a good away day. :)
james456

Postby MfcChris » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Today was very good and similar to Shrewsbury last season in terms of joy and atmosphere and general enjoyment. Awesome stuff.

That reminds me, fancy dress is obviously Port Vale being the last away game?

Keith, you are happy. You are usually mentioning we are in a relegation scrap all the time.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion