Twiss the legend

Twiss the legend

Postby baldrick » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Just seen the citizen today and both Twiss and Bentley have commented on the abuse the players and management are getting.
Twiss i think is a Morecambe legend so for people to give him personal abuse on Saturday is bang out of order.The guy has been great for us over the years so give him a break he deserves more respect from the fans.
If you don't think he is playing well then keep it between you and your mates and don't shout abuse at him. He must be thinking is that the respect i get after all this time.
Even if he does nothing again for us get off his back.
Hope he can get back his match fitness and be a regular 1st team player again.
RESPECT!
baldrick

Re: Twiss the legend

Postby redbull » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 pm

My view of Twissy on Saturday.
From the start he seemed tired, unfit, and just not committed when tackling he also kept clean shorts again…..dare I say more .Very good servant but it may be time he moved on….
redbull

Postby Muzzer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:09 pm

twiss is a huge player now at this club, and i think he deserves alot more then to be simply thrown out
and he is a great player anyway... as i said on a previous post, most people were ripping into Artell for a few bad games, but now he would get started by the majority of this board
I can win a game of connect four in three moves ;)
Muzzer

Postby Raeyes » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 pm

redbull wrote:My view of Twissy on Saturday.
From the start he seemed tired, unfit, and just not committed when tackling he also kept clean shorts again…..dare I say more .Very good servant but it may be time he moved on….

Et tu, brute?

I'm sure Twiss himself will profoundly admit that Saturday was not his best display in a Morecambe shirt. But before you continue on your tasteless and disdain attack, please open your eyes and realise:

That was Michael's fist game for six or so months in the first team, give him at least half a dozen games before you pass unjust judgment.

Twiss has been through extremely testing personal circumstances.

Michael still has a stack of credit in the bank as collateral against his place in the squad in my opinion; let us not forget how good he has been for us and how good he can become again given a fair run in the team.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Support the team.

Keep the faith, stop talking balls.
Raeyes

Postby MorecambeMickey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:05 am

Raeyes wrote:

Et tu, brute?

I'm sure Twiss himself will profoundly admit that Saturday was not his best display in a Morecambe shirt. But before you continue on your tasteless and disdain attack, please open your eyes and realise:

That was Michael's fist game for six or so months in the first team, give him at least half a dozen games before you pass unjust judgment.

Twiss has been through extremely testing personal circumstances.

Michael still has a stack of credit in the bank as collateral against his place in the squad in my opinion; let us not forget how good he has been for us and how good he can become again given a fair run in the team.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Support the team.

Keep the faith, stop talking balls.

Very good.

One of the best players to ever wear the shirt, let him have a run of games before he produces what we all know he is capable off. Hate all this 'negativity' stuff that seems to be the buzz word at the moment, but people should really show some respect towards players of Twissys ilk. The man is proven class, we are lucky to have him in our squad and even if he were to be caught carving a Swastika into the back of a Hamster with a blunt compass - would still be exempt from critisism.
MorecambeMickey

Postby USA Shrimp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:20 am

MorecambeMickey wrote: The man is proven class, we are lucky to have him in our squad and even if he were to be caught carving a Swastika into the back of a Hamster with a blunt compass - would still be exempt from critisism.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think we have a contender for most bizarre post of the season ! :lol:
USA Shrimp

Postby MorecambeMickey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 am

USA Shrimp wrote:
MorecambeMickey wrote: The man is proven class, we are lucky to have him in our squad and even if he were to be caught carving a Swastika into the back of a Hamster with a blunt compass - would still be exempt from critisism.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think we have a contender for most bizarre post of the season ! :lol:

Far too much Rum, many apologies. Now, where did I leave my bed?......
MorecambeMickey

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 am

In the article Twissy as good as admits this himself. I think he was stunned to be given a starting place and found it very difficult. He's had problems over the last year or so and the accumulation of everything showed on Saturday. He wants to fight for a place in the side and I think a slow weaning back via the bench might help him.
Martin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 am

I hope Sammy keeps him in the first team squad and puts him on the bench at Lincoln in a bid to rehabilitate him back to the first team and hope he can recapture the form that saw him score goals like the one against Bury last season and at Cambridge the season before etc etc

He deserves respect for the 4 and a bit seasons at Christie and not abuse.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 am

His No.7 shirt from the promotion season still proudly hangs on my wall together with his torn shorts from the Bury game last season :o - and they definately still have mud on them :!:

Chin up Michael ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:42 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I hope Sammy keeps him in the first team squad and puts him on the bench at Lincoln in a bid to rehabilitate him back to the first team and hope he can recapture the form that saw him score goals like the one against Bury last season and at Cambridge the season before etc etc

Too right!

MrT deserves more respect than what he had to endure last weekend, for what he has done for our club since he joined us despite probably more lucrative offers elsewhere.

I seem to recall him saying that all he wanted to do was play football and that was the main reason he joined us. Not financial, just plain football!

The guy has undergone a horrible 12 months in his personal life which would have put a strain on even the hardest of men.

Ok the Twissy we see (at the moment) is not the Twissy we've come to expect, but for f**** sake, cut the guy some slack. To judge a player by the colour of his shorts is rather sad!

Sammy obviously had his reasons for playing him last weekend and it was significant that he didin't figure in last nights res game. Usually a sign that a player not figuring in the res game in the build up to the weekend will be in the squad come Saturday. I for one certainly hope so.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I hope Sammy keeps him in the first team squad and puts him on the bench at Lincoln in a bid to rehabilitate him back to the first team and hope he can recapture the form that saw him score goals like the one against Bury last season and at Cambridge the season before etc etc

Too right!

MrT deserves more respect than what he had to endure last weekend, for what he has done for our club since he joined us despite probably more lucrative offers elsewhere.

I seem to recall him saying that all he wanted to do was play football and that was the main reason he joined us. Not financial, just plain football!

The guy has undergone a horrible 12 months in his personal life which would have put a strain on even the hardest of men.

Ok the Twissy we see (at the moment) is not the Twissy we've come to expect, but for f**** sake, cut the guy some slack. To judge a player by the colour of his shorts is rather sad!

Sammy obviously had his reasons for playing him last weekend and it was significant that he didin't figure in last nights res game. Usually a sign that a player not figuring in the res game in the build up to the weekend will be in the squad come Saturday. I for one certainly hope so.

CC Do you remember half of the stuff you write? :lol:

From Just after you got home on Saturday

Christies Child wrote:Totally baffled why MrT stayed on for so long. It gives me no pleasure to say this but the magic and sparkle we've come to expect and so admire from Michael seems to have vanished.
Mark S

Postby Christies Child » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:10 pm

...sure do, but I was on about the verbal abuse!
Christies Child

Postby marky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:08 pm

If we go 4-3-3 on Saturday then I can see a case for keeping him in the starting lineup as the creative one of the front 3. If he's lost pace, then it would make life a little easier for him.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Neil G » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Christies Child wrote:...sure do, but I was on about the verbal abuse!

Putting your selective memory to good use there CC :lol:
Neil G

Postby Christies Child » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:49 am

Neil G wrote:
Christies Child wrote:...sure do, but I was on about the verbal abuse!

Putting your selective memory to good use there CC :lol:

;) ;) ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:33 am

Twissy has always been one of my favourite players and I hope he can get his old form back again.
Players going through a rough time in terms of their form can show the manager they have got it back and deserve a starting place by performing as well as they possibly can in Reserves games.
Sammy hoped he could add some cutting edge to the side (based on what he knows Twissy is 'capable' of) and it didn't quite come off.
I suspect that Sammy's 'experiment' with him on Saturday may not be repeated this weekend. He now has to show some 'current' form - not rely on what we know he used to do when he was on form previously.
But if Twissy plays in the Ressies, works his socks off for the side, shows his power and pace there and starts banging a few goals in as well, then the manager (who is not daft) will give him the chance again. I've not seen any reserves games this season but I've not heard of him setting the world alight there.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby badger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:31 am

twiss has been a fantastic servant to the club, and i dont think people should slag him off.
we all know what a bad time he has had in the last twelve months or so and my heart goes out to him.

at the moment the team are having a bad patch, and we need our best side out on that pitch every week, sammy gave twiss a chance,but things did not go well for him.idont blame twiss for this, i think the whole team played bad, until stanley and curtis came on, two players who i think should be in the team from the start.curtis in my eyes has been the player of the season so far.so what do you all think should we gambel with twiss, and leave stanley and curtis on the bench.and how long do we give twiss to get back to full fittnes.
badger

Postby Posh » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:48 pm

I feel great sympathy for Twissy, and not just because of the horrendous time he's had over the past year.

On Saturday he was played, much to his surprise it seems, and on the wing. I don't know how many times I've mentioned this but Twissy isn't a winger, never has and never will be. He's a centre forward (22 goals in one season for us when given a clear run). It's where he creates and where he scores goals. Mark Wright didn't understand it, Jim Harvey did and didn't, and Sammy doesn't. I'm sure Twissy would play in nets if you asked him but for me if there isn't a space up front then don't play him. Instead play him up front in the reserves with young Aaron Taylor and then get him back into the first team by coming as a sub in a front three or swap for Rene or Diarmuid OR put him out on loan to a non-league side who want a centre forward.

Michael Twiss is a Morecambe legend. If we're to get anything out of him he needs to work with what he can deliver for us not what he can't. I just hope we can get to see more magic from Twissy in the future.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby campdave » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Posh wrote:I feel great sympathy for Twissy, and not just because of the horrendous time he's had over the past year.

Not wishing to pry, and I respect his privacy, but is this widely known about? I've only seen oblique references to it a few times on the forum, and I don't know about his circumstances, nor is it any of my business.

I'm certainly not saying that anything should be made public, and unacceptable as the abuse was, perhaps if people were more aware of his personal situation, he'd have been afforded more slack.

Am I making any sense?
campdave

Postby badger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:12 pm

I agree with posh he is not a wing player,but who would you drop up front for him.
badger

Return to General Discussion