Sammy Out!!!

Sammy Out!!!

Postby MfcPaul » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:09 pm

This was a vital game tonight that we needed all three points from. I have always been a huge fan of Sammy's and admire him for getting us into the football league but I no longer feel that he can drive our clubs future forward.

A new manager is instantly required to get us out of this mess which has been created with bad business in the transfer market with a number of flop loan signings!

Surely the board need to think about the money side of things aswell as the teams poor form this season. Dropping down to the conference equals less income, less player interested in joing the club and most importantly loss of game attendence figures!

I havenever commented on the future of Sammy but do feel the time to voice concerns over the way he is managing the club from the choice of tatics to the poor substitution decisions.

The team at the moment have no drive or passion, maybe a new manager will raise club morale I know it would raise mine as a fan!
MfcPaul

Re: Sammy Out!!!

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Good post Paul. I really don't think we will go down this season, thank god for the likes of Barnet and Stockport .....

If we were to go down to the Conference, it would probably take us an eternity to go back up to League 2 again.

As was posted on here over the weekend, ask the likes of York City, Mansfield Town, Luton Town, Exeter City (who took a fair few years) etc etc.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:21 pm

The thing that saddens me, and this isn't aimed at you Paul, is the way our fans have conducted themselves over Sammy's position. It's all "Get out Sammy" and "you've had your time get out" "bye sammy". I didn't realise we as fans could be this horrible to anyone, let alone a club legend. Nobody seems to remember what he has done for us and how he should be treated with respect whatever. I signed up to something at Wembley, I signed up to be eternally grateful to this man for taking us to the promised land. And that's just what i'll do.
Bare Ben

Postby broadwayshrimp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:thank god for the likes of Barnet and Stockport

People keep saying this but they are only 7 and 6 points behind us, 8 and 7 if you take their inferior goal difference into account. So with 14 games to go they only have to win 3 games more than us to overtake us. I know it's a big ask but both Barnet and Stockport must have us in their sights.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Frobi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 pm

You really have summmed it up well there Paul. Exactly how I feel. I do feel that we will just scrape it and not go down, but I know my dad and a lot of other people feel we will be straight back down to the confrence.
It's not that I dont feel greatful for what he has done for this club, yes I've called him a legend, but everyone has their time, and I believe Sammy's time is up. I thank him from the bottom of my heart for everything he has done for this club, and he will never be forgotten for the good times he brought.
Frobi

Postby marky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:31 pm

How about if he took us away from the promised land and back to where he started? Of course he's due utmost respect for somewhat overachieving (particularly last season) but, having talked up both the squad he assembled and our chances of improving on last season's league position, his team has (so far) failed spectacularly to live up to that. Maybe CC is right. Even I, as someone who wouldn't ever claim to be a Sammy fan, believe it would be a sad and perhaps unjust end to his time with us should the worst occur in May. As it is, the way we look like possibly limping our way to survival doesn't really do his time with us justice, even if it is the way I always believed it might end.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 pm

agree ben, he got us here and can keep us here, the knives are out though, and a lot of them are being typed by fans that dont even go to matches :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 pm

sorry ben i cant agree with you .... look what happened at your other team rafa wins you the european cup then few years later gets the sack .... you cant live on past glories im afraid
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Posh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Bare Ben wrote:The thing that saddens me, and this isn't aimed at you Paul, is the way our fans have conducted themselves over Sammy's position. It's all "Get out Sammy" and "you've had your time get out" "bye sammy". I didn't realise we as fans could be this horrible to anyone, let alone a club legend. Nobody seems to remember what he has done for us and how he should be treated with respect whatever. I signed up to something at Wembley, I signed up to be eternally grateful to this man for taking us to the promised land. And that's just what i'll do.

To be fair I think the majority on the messageboard have not been disrespectful to Sammy and have either not said anything or tempered their views.

Sammy got us to the Football League and I am eternally grateful. I'm also eternally grateful for Wolves, PNE, Crewe 4-3 and some other great games but, putting all that aside, there clearly are problems, some of them absolutely fundamental to the future of the club, such as his approach to player acquisition or lack of it. While we should respect what he's done we shouldn't be blinkered by it.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:agree ben, he got us here and can keep us here, the knives are out though, and a lot of them are being typed by fans that dont even go to matches :roll:

But fans that do have several family members/friends that do, many of whom are season ticket holders...
marky

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:50 pm

thats fine marky, i never go to away games so i cannot judge tonight, i feel though, even if an amicable wind down, a bit of reflection and a new beginning can be achieved, a dignified end of season departure is favourite, no one could or would want to, step in and sort out this season, sammy keeping us up and leaving at the end of the season suits us all.
mrpotatohead

Postby MfcPaul » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 pm

agree ben, he got us here and can keep us here, the knives are out though, and a lot of them are being typed by fans that dont even go to matches
agree ben, he got us here and can keep us here, the knives are out though, and a lot of them are being typed by fans that dont even go to matches :roll:

If this comment was aimed at me, then you couldn't be more wrong.
MfcPaul

Postby marky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:thats fine marky, i never go to away games so i cannot judge tonight, i feel though, even if an amicable wind down, a bit of reflection and a new beginning can be achieved, a dignified end of season departure is favourite, no one could or would want to, step in and sort out this season, sammy keeping us up and leaving at the end of the season suits us all.

For once I agree, though I wouldn't be sorry to see him leave earlier. My suspicion is we might see one of those ever popular 'mutual agreement' style departures.
marky

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 pm

dont know you paul so no, not you, sorry if you took it that way.
mrpotatohead

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm

It's great that Sammy has got us this far, but I seriously think that his managerial capability has reached it's limits, and that it's time to move on.
Little Shrimp

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:sorry ben i cant agree with you .... look what happened at your other team rafa wins you the european cup then few years later gets the sack .... you cant live on past glories im afraid

Post that's got nothing to do with anything of the year. I was talking about the lack of respect being shown, not living on past glories. Yet Posh is spot on that we shouldn't let that cloud our judgement for the future. If anything you're proving my point as I am also eternally grateful to Rafa for that.
Bare Ben

Postby marky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 pm

So, Ben, what is your view on what should happen either now or in the near future?
marky

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 pm

My view is that if we sack Sammy McIlroy now we will go down. I believe he has the experience to ride this through and then who knows in the summer if he feels it's time to go then it's time to go.
Bare Ben

Postby marky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 pm

Not sure I agree that sacking him now would result in us going down, though as stated earlier I'm not sure him leaving earlier is likely to result in any overly positive benefits. And if he doesn't want to go in the summer? Should it really be his decision to make?
marky

Postby Bryan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Didn't go tonight so can't comment on the game. However it's sad to say that any manager is judged purely on results when push comes to shove. Four points from nine games ain't good enough in most fans eyes. Can he keep us up? Possibly. But i think there has been a problem all season. This isn't the fiery McIlroy of old. No leadership on the pitch either. And falling out with Heinning and Stanners is just plain dumb. 28 players on the books and about eight of them are worth a place in League 2. (Two of them are out on loan!)

I respect Sammy for what he's done - it's a no brainer. But he's lost the plot this season. No sentiment in football is an old cliche. One that will get sorely tested in the next two months. Thing is if we went down it would put this club back 10 or 15 years. There is no passion out there at the moment and you can't keep blaming the players forever. Player's he's brought in himself. This is what you get with a side full of journeymen.

I'm not writing Sammy off yet. But it might come to the point where his job is untenable. I think that's the way a lot of fans are thinking right now. However a win against the spirites saturday would change everything. You never know.
Bryan

Postby Sammy h » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 am

Bare Ben wrote:My view is that if we sack Sammy McIlroy now we will go down. I believe he has the experience to ride this through and then who knows in the summer if he feels it's time to go then it's time to go.

If we keep Mcilroy we will go down, we cannot be going into games playing for the draw, it is NOT how to play football.
Sammy h

Return to General Discussion