Gillingham Away

Gillingham Away

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Yes it's a long way off, but.....

I, and 5 others are travelling to this game and staying over close to St Albans on the return.

The Barnet lads are forsaking their journey north (Bury) to hold a relegation party/wake and are going to see The Beat in concert at the St Albans arena, Neville Staples and his band are on too that night.

Would anyone else like to join us?
Price I have paid (booking now gets a discount) is £55 for gig and room in Travelodge.
With only transport costs to go ontop of that, not including consumables :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know through here or on 07878175774 ASAP

Mick
morecambe mick

Re: Gillingham Away

Postby Jack Poulton » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Treating myself to this one. Flying down from Manchester to Manston (nr Ramsgate) for £30 with FlyBE on the Friday (don't fly at weekend). Staying at a mates place. Then booked Virgin train back from London to Lancaster Saturday night for £22. Book in advance and you get a good package - probably cost more to get into Priestfield!
Jack Poulton

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Jack Poulton wrote:Treating myself to this one. Flying down from Manchester to Manston (nr Ramsgate) for £30 with FlyBE on the Friday (don't fly at weekend). Staying at a mates place. Then booked Virgin train back from London to Lancaster Saturday night for £22. Book in advance and you get a good package - probably cost more to get into Priestfield!

Staying in Margate ( Mushys stag do ) should be a messy one :lol:
halftimeresults

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Will we be known as the Gillingham 6? Should be a good do :D

Wonder if we will be playing for something by then 8-)

We shall see who is in the messiest mess after the weekend, Hodgie :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Treating myself to this one. Flying down from Manchester to Manston (nr Ramsgate) for £30 with FlyBE on the Friday (don't fly at weekend). Staying at a mates place. Then booked Virgin train back from London to Lancaster Saturday night for £22. Book in advance and you get a good package - probably cost more to get into Priestfield!

How you getting from Manston to Gillingham ? I'll watch you land ! :lol: are you staying in Thanet ?
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 pm

7 Marky, I'll make the short hop up the Thanet Way :o
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:15 am

Andy wrote:7 Marky, I'll make the short hop up the Thanet Way :o

Hopefully a better result than last time we visited. Amazingly enough we are celebrating another birthday and have decided to stick to orange juice on this occasion.
marky No.1

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 am

certainly hope so, don't think I could stand the ribbing again on the way back ! :o . I'll kick the buggers out on the Thanet Way :lol:
I'll pop in that pub on the corner for a pre match sherbert ! ;)
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby MfcChris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Jack Poulton wrote:Treating myself to this one. Flying down from Manchester to Manston (nr Ramsgate) for £30 with FlyBE on the Friday (don't fly at weekend). Staying at a mates place. Then booked Virgin train back from London to Lancaster Saturday night for £22. Book in advance and you get a good package - probably cost more to get into Priestfield!

Public transport is such a rip off. It is never cheaper than driving unless you are on your own. It only takes 2 people going in a car sharing the costs to be cheaper than a train/flight.
I would say petrol to Gillingham is £85 so just over £40 each. I don't understand.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby CASS » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:32 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Will we be known as the Gillingham 6? Should be a good do :D

Wonder if we will be playing for something by then 8-)

We shall see who is in the messiest mess after the weekend, Hodgie :lol:

May be 4 more of us..We have an invitation from a supplier,who is a Gills fan and a great host
just sorting arrangements but it is proving to be a bit of a pain..
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Jack Poulton » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 pm

[quote]How you getting from Manston to Gillingham ? I'll watch you land ! are you staying in Thanet ?

Don't know yet. Used to live in Broadstairs so plenty of friends to stay with. However invitation was from a mate in Canterbury who has offered to meet me at Manston so likely will be staying there. But things may change. Will go up to Gillingham on train as its only round the corner from station.

[quote]Public transport is such a rip off. It is never cheaper than driving unless you are on your own. It only takes 2 people going in a car sharing the costs to be cheaper than a train/flight.
I would say petrol to Gillingham is £85 so just over £40 each. I don't understand.

Went down last year and diesel cost was £70. Add to that wear and tear of 700 miles.
I'm travelling on my own at the invitation of a mate who lost his wife to cancer last year and will go to the game with him.

I work with a public transport consumer watchdog so like to experience all forms of travel.

As I said I am treating myself so prefer to travel in comfort rather than fighting my way down the M1 and round the M25/M2.

Finally I'm very wealthy and can afford it.

I take it that's OK then.
Jack Poulton

Postby CASS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:13 am

Has anyone looked in to train travel to this game ? just thought I would ask to save me looking ..Hope to go early Sat morning and return Sunday.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Andy wrote:Amazingly enough we are celebrating another birthday and have decided to stick to orange juice on this occasion.

You celebrating one or two at Chesterfield as well Mark? I believe it's halfwayliner's on Friday and some other dick-head's tomorrow :shock: :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 am

CASS wrote:Has anyone looked in to train travel to this game ? just thought I would ask to save me looking ..Hope to go early Sat morning and return Sunday.

Hodgie and John L are the resident rail experts, particularly if you want to do it cheap and camp on a bench for 5 hours somewhere :lol:

You can certainly get a train from lancaster at 7.57, 8.38, 8.57, 9.38 which takes the usual 21/2 to 3 hours to Euston then a 25 minute or so tube trip to High Barnet. Trains are pretty much every hour on the way back on Sunday BUT as usual the "standard" return price is nearly £80

Cheapest singles I can find are the 5.40 from Lancaster £31, returning on Sunday on the 13.55 for £15.50. Total £46.50p but check first!! ;)
marky No.1

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 am

Bare Ben wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:
Andy wrote:Amazingly enough we are celebrating another birthday and have decided to stick to orange juice on this occasion.

You celebrating one or two at Chesterfield as well Mark? I believe it's halfwayliner's on Friday and some other dick-head's tomorrow :shock: :lol:

The other, other birthday is at Gillingham. Yes it is Halfwayprawns birthday this week as well as some prat from Bare! :lol: The only card you will be getting is RED!! :lol: :lol:
marky No.1

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:12 am

marky No.1 wrote:The other, other birthday is at Gillingham. Yes it is Halfwayprawns birthday this week as well as some prat from Bare! :lol: The only card you will be getting is RED!! :lol: :lol:

Oh that's all good then, I don't have any room left to put them after Valentine's day!! 8-) :lol:
Bare Ben

Return to General Discussion