'Conference at ones peril'

'Conference at ones peril'

Postby Christies Child » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 am

Steve Clarridge on the Football Leabue Show made the above statement of fact in his summing up of the relegation battle cfacing clubs in League Two.

I just hope that our excellent Board of Directors consider this sobering dilema during the coming weeks when increasing numbers of fans are calling for changes.

I want change but I don't want our Manager to suffer the indignity of the sack. Rather I want Sammy to accept that it's time for another person at the tiller and for him to walk away with his reputation intact and head held high, remembering that it was he who took us into the League NOT a return to the hell of the Conference.

The Conference was tough enough when we gained promotion. It's even more of a minefield now; never mind the financial consequences that relegation would bring purely in terms of a substantial loss in gate money.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: 'Conference at ones peril'

Postby steve mfc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 pm

A change of manager doesn't necessarily mean a change in fortunes, i don't know the statistics but i would imagine that the percentage of new managers that fail to turn round a club that is struggling is fairly high.

If this was Sammy's first season then i wouldn't hesitate in saying that he should go, BUT you have to take into consideration what he has achieved at this club.

If as some people on here insist that everything is the managers fault and the blame is laid entirely at his door then the flip side of that is that Sammy was entirely responsible for the success of the previous seasons.

My only concern is if Sammy is up for the fight, we know he offered to resign earlier in the season, if the the players sense he is not up for it anymore then he should go. However if he is fully committed to the job ahead then i hope he stays. Lets get through this season regroup in the summer and come back stronger next season.
steve mfc

Postby Christies Child » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:53 pm

steve mfc wrote:A change of manager doesn't necessarily mean a change in fortunes, i don't know the statistics but i would imagine that the percentage of new managers that fail to turn round a club that is struggling is fairly high.

If this was Sammy's first season then i wouldn't hesitate in saying that he should go, BUT you have to take into consideration what he has achieved at this club.

If as some people on here insist that everything is the managers fault and the blame is laid entirely at his door then the flip side of that is that Sammy was entirely responsible for the success of the previous seasons.

My only concern is if Sammy is up for the fight, we know he offered to resign earlier in the season, if the the players sense he is not up for it anymore then he should go. However if he is fully committed to the job ahead then i hope he stays. Lets get through this season regroup in the summer and come back stronger next season.

With regards to 'what he has achieved' that is exactly the reason why I'd like him to go with dignity and head held high. We can't retain a manager purely on what he HAS done in the past. It's now that counts which leads on to your valid point about 'being up for the fight'.

For me it's as much about motivation and I'm not sure he has that any longer, which is sad but possibly true. I'm also concerned that he may have lost the 'dressing room'. It's well documented of his spats with individuals and one in particular. This could have repercussions throughout the squad for all we know.

Sammy has played at the highest level. It would be a crime on his CV if he was to lead us into the Conference; something that I don't want to happen to the man or more importantly to our club.
Christies Child

Postby MfcChris » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 pm

If we go down we will not be back, well at least for a decade. Enjoyed it so far and going to make the most of it for the last 7 home games and away grounds I have not been to yet, starting at the B2Net :D

Agreed we have been very lucky getting promoted so quick with a new manager. 3 play-offs and 2 11th places not to mention the cup game wins. But all good things come to an end. If we improved every season we would get to the top division :lol:
Last edited by MfcChris on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby steve mfc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Christies Child wrote:
steve mfc wrote:A change of manager doesn't necessarily mean a change in fortunes, i don't know the statistics but i would imagine that the percentage of new managers that fail to turn round a club that is struggling is fairly high.

With regards to 'what he has achieved' that is exactly the reason why I'd like him to go with dignity and head held high. We can't retain a manager purely on what he HAS done in the past. It's now that counts which leads on to your valid point about 'being up for the fight'.

For me it's as much about motivation and I'm not sure he has that any longer, which is sad but possibly true. I'm also concerned that he may have lost the 'dressing room'. It's well documented of his spats with individuals and one in particular. This could have repercussions throughout the squad for all we know.

Sammy has played at the highest level. It would be a crime on his CV if he was to lead us into the Conference; something that I don't want to happen to the man or more importantly to our club.

But you would be prepared to bring in a manager based on what he has done in the past or in Jimbo's case little managerial experience.
steve mfc

Postby Sammy h » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:25 pm

steve mfc wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

But you would be prepared to bring in a manager based on what he has done in the past or in Jimbo's case little managerial experience.

It isn't always about experience, look at some of the managers at the moment. It is about passion and dedication. Of which Sammy has very little.

A lot of fans want to keep Sammy because he is a big name???? Why?
Sammy h

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 pm

My only concern is if Sammy is up for the fight, we know he offered to resign earlier in the season, if the the players sense he is not up for it anymore then he should go. However if he is fully committed to the job ahead then i hope he stays. Lets get through this season regroup in the summer and come back stronger next season.[/quote]

Sammy has played at the highest level. It would be a crime on his CV if he was to lead us into the Conference; something that I don't want to happen to the man or more importantly to our club.[/quote]

But you would be prepared to bring in a manager based on what he has done in the past or in Jimbo's case little managerial experience.[/quote]

It isn't always about experience, look at some of the managers at the moment. It is about passion and dedication. Of which Sammy has very little.

A lot of fans want to keep Sammy because he is a big name???? Why?[/quote]

if Sammy does go theres only one candidate and he would cost us big. If he comes I hope he brings Jimmy Ryan with him :D :D
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Sammy h » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:31 pm

I wont even attempt to try and quote the above, I do not have a clue what you have done to that.

I hope we don't go for Coleman.
Sammy h

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:51 pm

It's not that experience is integral Sam but you have to consider whether it is a risk worth taking when we are not yet safe. I don't want anyone to take us down but I would be mortified if it was Jimbo that took us down, moreso than Sammy. I want Jimbo to manage this club as much as the next bloke but only when the time is right, and that time is not now. And actually, I think Jimbo would agree because he has said himself he just wants to play - and that is what I want too: Jimbo back in the heart of our defence and saving us from relegation that way.

Also, I don't believe that Sammy has lost the dressing room at all and its just those who want rid of him throwing out tosh to back up their argument. Someone has already brought up the Craig Stanley debacle when he has publically said there was no rift (bar one fall out in the past, which is nothing in the 5 years he was here).

On another note despite all that nonsense you dreamed up CC, I actually believe that you would love Sammy to get the sack.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Morectalk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Past glory counts for nothing when relegation looms. He seems to be unable to get the 11 he puts out every week to play the game. He is obviously losing peoples respect and should slink away now before he drags us down too.

We all thought Jim Harvey couldn't/shouldn't be replaced but as my old grandad used to say,
"The graveyard is full of people who thought they were indispensable".
Morectalk

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Sammy h wrote:A lot of fans want to keep Sammy because he is a big name???? Why?

It's not about him being a 'big name', its about whether we take a gamble on someone new at this time. And it IS A GAMBLE! Also, Sammy has a proven track record with Morecambe FC. This season has been appalling right from last summer when everyone could see that The Globe wouldn't be finished on time, through to the pre-season when the club finally noticed too, to the turgid start to the season and the disappointment felt by many regarding the 'match day experience', right through until now. The most common opinion I've heard expressed (and have expressed myself too) is 'let's get this season finished and start again'. But this is our first season where we've struggled under Sammy Mac so shouldn't he be given a chance to turn things around? I do think that we will stay up, mainly because I think there are a couple of other teams that are substantially worse than us, but it will be a close run thing.

Sammy MacIlroy has never endeared himself to fans on a 'personal' level and has, rightly or wrongly, at times given the impression that he treats fans with disdain and contempt. This may be far from the truth, but as I say, it is the impression. I think that is why some fans have turned relatively quickly. John Coleman, if he was Morecambe manager, could be in exactly the same position as we are now and I'm sure no-one would be calling for his head (okay, a few would but if we had Sir Alex Ferguson managing us with Arsene Wenger as his assistant they would still be moaning).

I think we hold out until the summer and we build from there. The board sit with the manager and work out why this season was so bad and how he intends to avoid having another one in 2011/12, then they make a decision then.

However, I reserve the right to change my opinion in a couple of games time, if we're still losing!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Keith wrote: if we had Sir Alex Ferguson managing us with Arsene Wenger as his assistant

I would pay good money to see that! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:08 pm

EVERY managerial appointment throughout the entire football world is a gamble. Even the most accomplished of managers with credible track records fail from time to time.

As a club we've a good record of employing managers with and without proven track records who have brought us success. Ken Waterhouse; Dave Roberts; Griffiths; Jimmy Harvey and of course Sammy Mc to name but a few. Granted there is an arguement that to employ a manager with no record of managerial experience is a gamble but for every failure there is a success. Every manager has to start somewhere and as a club we are probably limited in terms of financial rewards in our choice of potential candidates.

If the situation arises that we have to look towards a new leader then I'd be more than happy to give the role to Jimbo. However another name that COULD be considered is the former Blackburn player and currently making a name for himself along with assistant Jan Jansen is Chorley manager Garry Flitcroft. He's young, eager and has contacts in the professional game that any club at our level needs. Also the former assistant manager to Big Sam at Blackburn and Garstang resident, McDonald would be a likely candidate having been unsuccessful in his application for the Kilimarnock job. In addition there's a current Claret full back probably due to retire come the end of the season who intends to get into the managerial merry go-round. To name but a few in the North West alone!

If results go against us this coming week at both Macc and Chesterfield then we really are in trouble and contemplating possible Conf football and its associated problems that that would bring. Something that none of us can look forward to with confidence of a quick return.
Christies Child

Postby Christies Child » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:It's not that experience is integral Sam but you have to consider whether it is a risk worth taking when we are not yet safe. I don't want anyone to take us down but I would be mortified if it was Jimbo that took us down, moreso than Sammy. I want Jimbo to manage this club as much as the next bloke but only when the time is right, and that time is not now. And actually, I think Jimbo would agree because he has said himself he just wants to play - and that is what I want too: Jimbo back in the heart of our defence and saving us from relegation that way.

Also, I don't believe that Sammy has lost the dressing room at all and its just those who want rid of him throwing out tosh to back up their argument. Someone has already brought up the Craig Stanley debacle when he has publically said there was no rift (bar one fall out in the past, which is nothing in the 5 years he was here).

On another note despite all that nonsense you dreamed up CC, I actually believe that you would love Sammy to get the sack.

Wrong....again! It's becoming a habit in a lot of your posts about a number of fellow SVs.
Christies Child

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Not a number of SVs CC, just you. Anyone who buys your nonsense is deluded. While your support for the club is unquestionable, you have never liked the manager since his appointment and have only infrequently given him some praise which you are always careful to ensure is given in the context of you not liking him. It winds me up because I want to read you supporting the club more, not slagging off Sammy at every opportunity. In the match day chat room on Tuesday night every single post you made was a dig at Sammy for this, that and the other. I'd have much more respect for you if you cut that down and started showing some encouragment because its bad enough having to listen to us conceding goals left, right and centre without having to read your depressive drivel too.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Sammy h » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Keith wrote:
Sammy h wrote:A lot of fans want to keep Sammy because he is a big name???? Why?

It's not about him being a 'big name', its about whether we take a gamble on someone new at this time. And it IS A GAMBLE! Also, Sammy has a proven track record with Morecambe FC. This season has been appalling right from last summer when everyone could see that The Globe wouldn't be finished on time, through to the pre-season when the club finally noticed too, to the turgid start to the season and the disappointment felt by many regarding the 'match day experience', right through until now. The most common opinion I've heard expressed (and have expressed myself too) is 'let's get this season finished and start again'. But this is our first season where we've struggled under Sammy Mac so shouldn't he be given a chance to turn things around? I do think that we will stay up, mainly because I think there are a couple of other teams that are substantially worse than us, but it will be a close run thing.

Sammy MacIlroy has never endeared himself to fans on a 'personal' level and has, rightly or wrongly, at times given the impression that he treats fans with disdain and contempt. This may be far from the truth, but as I say, it is the impression. I think that is why some fans have turned relatively quickly. John Coleman, if he was Morecambe manager, could be in exactly the same position as we are now and I'm sure no-one would be calling for his head (okay, a few would but if we had Sir Alex Ferguson managing us with Arsene Wenger as his assistant they would still be moaning).

I think we hold out until the summer and we build from there. The board sit with the manager and work out why this season was so bad and how he intends to avoid having another one in 2011/12, then they make a decision then.

However, I reserve the right to change my opinion in a couple of games time, if we're still losing!

Well a lot of people I have spoken too want his name.

He is a club legend and maybe he should be given a chance considering it is our first 'bad' season under him.

But when he doesn't know his best 11, doesn't play his best 11, and signs recycled useless footballers from recommendations from agents, that's when his time is up. Especially considering it is February!
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:51 pm

[quote="Morecambe Jack"]Not a number of SVs CC, just you. Anyone who buys your nonsense is deluded. While your support for the club is unquestionable, you have never liked the manager since his appointment and have only infrequently given him some praise which you are always careful to ensure is given in the context of you not liking him. It winds me up because I want to read you supporting the club more, not slagging off Sammy at every opportunity. In the match day chat room on Tuesday night every single post you made was a dig at Sammy for this, that and the other. I'd have much more respect for you if you cut that down and started showing some encouragment because its bad enough having to listen to us conceding goals left, right and centre without having to read your depressive drivel too.[/quote]

.....you could of course choose to ignore it if it winds you up so much....... ;)

As for not liking Sammy, WRONG it's the style of soccer that I don't like like!
Christies Child

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Morecambe Jack wrote:Not a number of SVs CC, just you. Anyone who buys your nonsense is deluded. While your support for the club is unquestionable, you have never liked the manager since his appointment and have only infrequently given him some praise which you are always careful to ensure is given in the context of you not liking him. It winds me up because I want to read you supporting the club more, not slagging off Sammy at every opportunity. In the match day chat room on Tuesday night every single post you made was a dig at Sammy for this, that and the other. I'd have much more respect for you if you cut that down and started showing some encouragment because its bad enough having to listen to us conceding goals left, right and centre without having to read your depressive drivel too.[/quote]

.....you could of course choose to ignore it if it winds you up so much....... ;)

What's soccer?
Bare Ben

Postby Sammy h » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
Christies Child wrote:
Morecambe Jack wrote:Not a number of SVs CC, just you. Anyone who buys your nonsense is deluded. While your support for the club is unquestionable, you have never liked the manager since his appointment and have only infrequently given him some praise which you are always careful to ensure is given in the context of you not liking him. It winds me up because I want to read you supporting the club more, not slagging off Sammy at every opportunity. In the match day chat room on Tuesday night every single post you made was a dig at Sammy for this, that and the other. I'd have much more respect for you if you cut that down and started showing some encouragment because its bad enough having to listen to us conceding goals left, right and centre without having to read your depressive drivel too.[/quote]

What's soccer?

Ask Muzzer.
Sammy h

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Whos muzzer?
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Sammy h » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:28 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:Whos muzzer?

Come on Muzzer, REVEAL YOURSELF.
Sammy h

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Still calling fellow fans that you don't even know a 'Wanker' CC?

You'd do well to apologise at the next home game.
Last edited by RedRedWine1 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:07 pm

:) :) :) ;)
Last edited by shrimpnsave on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby SimplyRed MFC » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Something for all the "Sammy Out" brigade to consider from the safety of their armchairs, Stockport were in just about our position a few months ago under Paul Simpson.

They then sacked Simpson and installed an assisant to the post, form got worse and they are now firmly glued in a relegation place with their fans resigned to the BSP. Their fans are now divided on whether getting rid of Simpson was wise or not.

Not, in that case at the moment, aside from one win over Bury.

Also, regarding team morale under Sammy, there seemed to be no problem at Northampton last week. Or is team morale variable ?

FWIW, I dont think we'll get relegated although it might get squeeky, I think Stockport will go down with a surprise package that hopefully isn't us.

Jimbo is already involved in the coaching & motivation with Sammy & Mark anyway so keep Sammy until the summer and have clear the air talks about what went wrong this season from start to finish then take it from there.
SimplyRed MFC

Postby Christies Child » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:59 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Still calling fellow fans that you don't even know a 'Wanker' CC? The last crumb of your credibility vanished yesterday when you opened your trap once too often, then sat there and watched like the sack of shite that you are as the fellow supporter and season ticket holder was asked to leave the ground. You'd do well to apologise at the next home game.

I did NOT and would NOT call a fellow fan a 'wanker'.

Before you start making false accusations I suggest you get your facts straight.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion