West Ham awarded Olympic stadium over Spurs....

West Ham awarded Olympic stadium over Spurs....

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Who gives a toss?? This story has been plastered everywhere for the last month or so; a bidding process, then a delayed decision (oooowww, the suspense...not), followed by todays the news that West Ham are the preferred tenants of the Olympic site once the games have finished. I found myself asking...is this really news??? Who cares about the goings on of some cockney knobheads? Nobody who doesn't live in a £1million council flat I bet, Where's my lager!!!

The real question is why are we wasting money on this in the first place? Why must the tax payer subsidise a sporting event and then pay for not hosting a sporting event? If people were really interested in athletics then it would pay for itself Shirley? Why do we need an 80,000 athletics venue? You'd struggle to get 8,000 paying punters such is the interest. Great, you're good at running, let's see ya then. Right, seen it once it's just boring now, do one! Cycling as a sport??? It's cheap sad bastards that can't kick a football and need something to do taking their transportation to work a step too far.

Onwards to Lincoln!!!
RedRedWine1

Re: West Ham awarded Olympic stadium over Spurs....

Postby marky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Well, I tell you what. You leave the country for a couple of weeks next summer and let the rest us enjoy a once in a lifetime sporting feast.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Once in a lifetime? It happens every four years? The fact that it is in London makes not a jot of difference to most people, only this time they'll end up paying for a few toffs to cream themselves over watching people running round and round in cirlces.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 pm

So you'd have favoured the Spurs bid, which would have been self-financed, not costing thew tax-payer a penny? Cheers!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:36 pm

I actually agree that the Spurs bid is better all round, for everyone; athletics, football and the tax payer. The decision that has been made is absolutely laughable and has clearly been made by a bunch of unaccountable public servants who love nothing more than burning money and sitting around in lazyboy recliners all day and doing sweet FA.

A football ground with a running track running around the perimeter of the playing surface in this country won't work. An 80,000 (whatever the scaled down version is) athletics stadium in this country won't work. The biggest farce about the stadium (apart from the money being wasted on it) is the idea that this is going to be a multi-use facility. Once West Ham have moved in and three men and his dog get bored of watching Ethiopians jogging around it'll quickly turn into very much a single-purpose venue that isn't fit for purpose.

But, the amount of coverage this is getting overall is quite ridiculous, which is what my point was. North Africa and the Middle East are toppling like dominoes and the days pass by whilst we watch our national sovereignty being sold down the swanny by some fat cats in some boring irrelevant Country called Belgium, yet who gets a second-hand shit stadium is given equal airing in the funny papers.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:38 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Once in a lifetime? It happens every four years? The fact that it is in London makes not a jot of difference to most people, only this time they'll end up paying for a few toffs to cream themselves over watching people running round and round in cirlces.

Last time I checked, myself and my family were not toffs. This is the only chance any of us will get to watch the biggest event in global sport in our own back yard. My family and I went on two separate evenings when Manchester held the Commonwealth Games. Best sporting experience of my life. Incredible atmosphere! I for one cannot wait for the Olympics and it'll be all the sweeter knowing a certain RRW will be stewing in his own juices for a fortnight.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:38 am

i favour the West Ham bid simply because the stadium is in the east end of London.

just think if we'd had a olympic stadium of some sort built in Morecambe(before the globe arena was thought of) like a hockey one what Layton Orient are supposedly moving into now just think if Fleetwood or Lancaster got it just because they flashed more money at it how would we feel?

COME ON YOU IRONS!! :lol:
George Dawes

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 am

I think that Tottenham should take over the Wembley Stadium.

Its in North London and has a capacity befitting Englands biggest indigenous fan base.

England could rent it for Internationals and the FA could hire it for the cup final.

West Ham haven't got 60,000 fans to go in the Olympic Stadium and with the running track round it they will need opera glasses to see the matches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I think that Tottenham should take over the Wembley Stadium.

Its in North London and has a capacity befitting Englands biggest indigenous fan base.

England could rent it for Internationals and the FA could hire it for the cup final.

West Ham haven't got 60,000 fans to go in the Olympic Stadium and with the running track round it they will need opera glasses to see the matches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--> http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/attend.html

well Tottenhams average gate is only 35.000 not much more than West Ham only 2000+ infact so thats that argument shot right down everyone ;)
George Dawes

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 am

DawZi wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I think that Tottenham should take over the Wembley Stadium.

--> http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/attend.html

well Tottenhams average gate is only 35.000 not much more than West Ham only 2000+ infact so thats that argument shot right down everyone ;)

Tottenhams average gate is a full house , and there is a huge waiting list for season tickets.

So thats that argument shot down.

In the days of standing when White Hart Lane held 63,000 it was full every game whereas West Ham could never fill Upton Park in those days when their capacity was 42,000.

See how many they have when they get relegated :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Richard Head » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:35 am

RedRedWine wrote:Who gives a toss?? This story has been plastered everywhere for the last month or so; a bidding process, then a delayed decision (oooowww, the suspense...not), followed by todays the news that West Ham are the preferred tenants of the Olympic site once the games have finished. I found myself asking...is this really news??? Who cares about the goings on of some cockney knobheads? Nobody who doesn't live in a £1million council flat I bet, Where's my lager!!!

The real question is why are we wasting money on this in the first place? Why must the tax payer subsidise a sporting event and then pay for not hosting a sporting event? If people were really interested in athletics then it would pay for itself Shirley? Why do we need an 80,000 athletics venue? You'd struggle to get 8,000 paying punters such is the interest. Great, you're good at running, let's see ya then. Right, seen it once it's just boring now, do one! Cycling as a sport??? It's cheap sad bastards that can't kick a football and need something to do taking their transportation to work a step too far.

Onwards to Lincoln!!!

To say you dont care or give a toss about this you seem to have worked yourself into a right frenzy about it
Richard Head

Postby George Dawes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:54 am

Tottenhams average gate is a full house , and there is a huge waiting list for season tickets.

In the days of standing when White Hart Lane held 63,000 it was full every game whereas West Ham could never fill Upton Park in those days when their capacity was 42,000.

See how many they have when they get relegated

West Ham is just about a full house every week apart from room they leave for segregation

and to be right about it give credit when its due West Ham have arguably the most loyal passionate fans base in the country up there with Newcastle and Leeds etc they have a massive England following if not the biggest and in the past when they have been relegated there fans still stay loyal and bounce straight back up

and the season ticket waiting list your referring to are probably for them city boy yuppie types who dont really watch football and just go because its trendy and looks good for there image and if they were ever to get relegated to the championship them type would just naff off and then probably go and support Chelsea or Arsernal like fashion accessories :lol: :P
George Dawes

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 am

DawZi wrote:

See how many they have when they get relegated

West Ham is just about a full house every week apart from room they leave for segregation

and to be right about it give credit when its due West Ham have arguably the most loyal passionate fans base in the country up there with Newcastle and Leeds etc they have a massive England following if not the biggest and in the past when they have been relegated there fans still stay loyal and bounce straight back up

and the season ticket waiting list your referring to are probably for them city boy yuppie types who dont really watch football and just go because its trendy and looks good for there image and if they were ever to get relegated to the championship them type would just naff off and then probably go and support Chelsea or Arsernal like fashion accessories :lol: :P

Well your wrong again. Spurs season in the 2nd division (now the Championship) in 1977/78 the fans stayed loyal and the club was promoted at the first attempt.

If West Ham go down they could stay down for a long time.

Ive been at Goodison watching Tottenham when there has been 10,000 Tottenham fans. All the away end + a good bit of the main stand. West Ham just dont have the same fan base FACT
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:28 am

Ive been at Goodison watching Tottenham when there has been 10,000 Tottenham fans. All the away end + a good bit of the main stand. West Ham just dont have the same fan base FACT

cant see that being in the league? it must have been a big cup match? or just becuase it's the first league match of the season?

i use to follow all Man United home games and a fair few away when they were crap in the mid 80s early 90s and i have seen West Ham taking up the old away end and all the K-Stand seating above easily 10.000 in the FA Cup to Old Traffod and
just as many as Tottenham in the league if not more but certainly loader there the loudest away fans i have heard and only Liverpool and Man City have been more vocal at Old Trafford for obvious reason
George Dawes

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:53 am

marky wrote:I for one cannot wait for the Olympics and it'll be all the sweeter knowing a certain RRW will be stewing in his own juices for a fortnight.

That's What A Thought.

Richard Head, I'm genuinely not that bothered about this story and I've just tried to be a little light hearted but to the point in getting a discussion going whilst trying to rile the resident chimney sweeps. Seems to me that this board is quickly descending into a bore off between a few dry individuals posting their political memoirs, and back-patting over a fans club that seems from the outside to have a muddled purpose.

Other than the level of subsidence certain sports get from the tax payer and lottery funding I've no problem with athletics in general no matter how dull it is to watch. Each to their own, I really enjoy cricket and darts but some people don't. I just think the level of publicity shown by certain media outlets who will be broadcasting the Olympics over who gets the stadium and the build up to it has been silly. The Olympics will be a disaster just like any other government funded project. The fact that they have spent all this money but haven't got a clue to do after they've spent it other than a hashed last minute plan stinks.
RedRedWine1

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:58 am

I am actually chuffed that West Ham got it. Why shouldn't it be used for other sports? That's what it was built for. The idea of Tottenham moving across the city, knocking it down and building from scratch sounds daft.

West Ham should price its tickets cheap as, to get it as close to capacity week in, week out. No reason why they can't get 40-50,000 every week and create a decent atmosphere, regardless of whether there is a running track.
Wild Bill

Postby Aspers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Won't work while there's a running track round it.
Aspers

Postby SimplyRed MFC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Dont talk b******s Aspers, look at Rotherhams ground that's got a running track round it hasnt it ?

Ah ! :0
SimplyRed MFC

Postby halftimeresults » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Could be worse, Newcastle Towns ground has a cycle track round it.
halftimeresults

Postby George Dawes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:59 pm

SimplyRed MFC wrote:Dont talk b******s Aspers, look at Rotherhams ground that's got a running track round it hasnt it ?

Ah ! :0

what about Bayern Munich's & AS Rome's grounds aswell to just name a very few??
George Dawes

Postby George Dawes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

The fact that they have spent all this money but haven't got a clue to do after they've spent it other than a hashed last minute plan stinks.

i couldn't give a toss anymore how my hard spent money is spent on MY! country aslong as we dont give it away in bullshit foreign aid what as absolutely jack shit to do with us what so ever...

let Al Qaeda fund these country's if there so better than us very bad evil west.

its like Egypt what the hell as it got to do with America just stay out of it in the middle east for a change!! let em sort it out for themselves like since they have since the beginning of time

lets just stand on our own two feet first!
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:33 pm

DawZi wrote:
...let em sort it out for themselves like since they have since the beginning of time

I think you'll find that most of the Middle East, Egypt included, are a mess because they haven't been allowed to sort it out for themselves because the Brits in particular have interfered and screwed the countries up in the first place.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Indeed, we're beholden to a lot of the world thanks to our ex-empire status, etc. Indeed, the vast majority of warfare in Africa has its origins in the British (and other European powers) attempts to combine separate tribes into coherant nations through some strange notion of civilising them. Iraq, I believe, was a UK creation and we had a major part into setting up Israel and look what a great success that has been.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 am

Keith wrote:
DawZi wrote:
...let em sort it out for themselves like since they have since the beginning of time

I think you'll find that most of the Middle East, Egypt included, are a mess because they haven't been allowed to sort it out for themselves because the Brits in particular have interfered and screwed the countries up in the first place.
i agree that's what am trying to point out

they can only sort themselves out Afghanistan and Iraq as been a complete waste of time am just hoping this Tunisia & Egypt uprising will have this knock on effect all the way there aswell for the good of there people and everyone

marky wrote:we had a major part into setting up Israel and look what a great success that has been.
yeah my old man was serving in the British army over there then and even said what a balls up it would end up alhough he didn't like the Arabs as a people and said they only respect voilence he also said the Jews since the beginning of time have been disliked even before the Roman times there must be something wrong with them
George Dawes

Return to General Discussion