Club appeals to fans...

Re: Club appeals to fans...

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:11 pm

I don't think making it public is such a good idea as a couple of people have now given the whole club a bad reputation. Last season when results werent great and the same thing happened it was made public and I was asked on radio lancashire why supporters were getting on the managers back which made it sound like the majority were.

Instead I think a word should be had with the individuals from the stewards reminding them about the agreement the club signed up to this season regarding language etc from fans and that abuse and bad language will not be tolerated.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby slackAlice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Instead I think a word should be had with the individuals from the stewards reminding them about the agreement the club signed up to this season regarding language etc from fans and that abuse and bad language will not be tolerated.

Thats it in a nutshell - suurely thats what stewards are for ???? If it was kids hurling abuse or shouting 'comments' they'd be there quick enough. It its bothering personnel at the club - the stewards should deal with it.
slackAlice

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Only thing is I didn't hear anything that was 'actionable' by a steward. There wasn't any bad language that I heard just very personal comments directed at individuals.

Stewards can't ask people 'not to be so loud' at a match.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Hodgie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Have to say, that some of the comments directed at Twissy from the paddock :( :o :shock: :shock:

Back to the North stand for me

Lets prove why we are the best fans in football.
Hodgie

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm really surprised by this. Obviously, being in the North Stand, I didn't hear any of the shouts that are being referred to. As I said in a previous post, full marks to the younger lads in particular for leading such a (positively) vocal atmosphere.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for a group of perhaps 30 people to go in to the Main Stand at the next game. As at least one of the drummers is a life season ticket holder, some arrangements might need to be made for a transfer... perhaps Rod may wish to 'invite' some of them as his guest for the day? ;)

I can clearly recall John Norman coming on as a substitute one time and being booed before he'd even touched the ball, so this isn't something new...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Morecamber » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:55 pm

sgt major wrote:The comment at the end of the article about the friendliness of the club is not just about the home support but I think the loyal lads and lasses who get on the road to support the team. I dont see or hear any of the so called dried up old men from the main stand at many of the games on the road.

I dont expect many will be at Lincoln on Saturday where we will be making aquaintance with our opposite fans, sit in the same side as the home fans and sing our hearts out for the team.

That's what fans do - not throw very personal abuse at players and management.

Good point about Lincoln there Mick. Lets sing are hearts out for the team on Saturday, whatever the turn out!
Morecamber

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:58 pm

That's a great shout - give it everything from first kick to last (whatever the score) and let the players and the management and officials know that the supporters ARE behind them and it's only a tiny vocal minority who have issues.

Even if the result doesn't go our way, keep the noise up.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby slackAlice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:59 pm

shrimper wrote:Only thing is I didn't hear anything that was 'actionable' by a steward. There wasn't any bad language that I heard just very personal comments directed at individuals.

Stewards can't ask people 'not to be so loud' at a match.

Its difficult to know what to say or do then ?

MORECAMBE's chief executive Rod Taylor has issued a rallying call for supporters to get behind the Shrimps.

I mean its all very well issuing a 'rally call' but 95% or maybe even more of your regular fans home and away are right behind the club / team , even when things are'nt going too well.
If you've got a small minority of fans making distasteful remarks in one section of the ground its them that have to be 'rallied' or something ?? There probably not the sort to come on this board anyway. It probably makes more sense to try and change that particular 'section' of the ground while were still at Christie park ???

I suppose the questions that need to be asked are : Is this type of thing prevalent at other grounds and how do they deal with it ? Is it something that has to be tolerated ? Is it likely to get worse ?
Either way I don't necessarily hold with the belief that a 'rallying call' will solve it - it sounds to me as if these people will continue and become more critical and vociferous -especially if results are'nt going our way
slackAlice

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Keith wrote:I'm really surprised by this. Obviously, being in the North Stand, I didn't hear any of the shouts that are being referred to. As I said in a previous post, full marks to the younger lads in particular for leading such a (positively) vocal atmosphere.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for a group of perhaps 30 people to go in to the Main Stand at the next game. As at least one of the drummers is a life season ticket holder, some arrangements might need to be made for a transfer... perhaps Rod may wish to 'invite' some of them as his guest for the day? ;)

I can clearly recall John Norman coming on as a substitute one time and being booed before he'd even touched the ball, so this isn't something new...

Just sponsor the Chesterfield Match Keith and book 3 tables - bring 29 of ya colleagues and mates and arm them with earplugs, machine guns and grenades :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Hodgie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:10 pm

Being a fan is about supporting your team through the bad times aswell as the good times.

The team needs us more than ever.

If we lose on saturday,so what .

WE ARE FOOTBALL LEAGUE
AND WE ARE PROUD
Hodgie

Postby marky » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Keith wrote:I can clearly recall John Norman coming on as a substitute one time and being booed before he'd even touched the ball, so this isn't something new...

I can remember booing and remonstrating when Peter Withers missed an open goal from about a yard :lol: I can still remember that miss vividly :p

Anyway, when I'm in town I remonstrate and praise in equal quantities I'd say (actually until the Rotherham game I hadn't seen us lose for 7 years so it's been far more of the latter). I've no idea what was being said on saturday but shouting "this is embarrassing McIlroy" isn't exactly abuse, Glen. There must be better examples?
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Neil G » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:26 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
shrimper wrote:It IS only a minority but from where I was sitting (and not far from where the directors were sitting) on Saturday it was a very vocal one.

Take ya pick for a name and shame :roll:

http://www.morecambefc.premiumtv.co.uk/ ... 18,00.html

Pics 40 and 41 just about cover it 8-)

I'll shame the moaners in the paddock because next time i'll have my camcorder with me, I was stood near the old buggers. The 'fan with the plan' in the main stand was barking his usual orders to the bench, Sammy's got more football in his pinkie finger than you have in your body mate so give it a rest please :roll: If the stewards won't do or say anything then it's up to real supporters to do something about it. It only takes a few to stand up to these big mouths and it will soon stop. Odd situation don't you think that a few older so called supporters are being the idiots while the majority of young ones are setting an example of how we should be supporting our club.
Neil G

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:35 pm

May I remind alot of posters on this message board of after the Bury match last season, when a hell of a lot of you lot were really going to town on a younger supporter who regularly travels away, for "making an old man cry"!

He was doing EXACTLY what the majority of you are now saying. He told him he was not supporting the team properly by slagging them off. That constant abuse does not motivate the team, quite the opposite.

As I recall this particular young man was lambasted on SV.

So make your mind up folks.

People have short memories.
morecambe mick

Postby Sammy h » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:58 pm

morecambe mick wrote:May I remind alot of posters on this message board of after the Bury match last season, when a hell of a lot of you lot were really going to town on a younger supporter who regularly travels away, for "making an old man cry"!

He was doing EXACTLY what the majority of you are now saying. He told him he was not supporting the team properly by slagging them off. That constant abuse does not motivate the team, quite the opposite.

Agreed and im sure the younger supporter will agree aswell, totally out of order that day, i think he himself was nearly in tears.
Sammy h

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:16 pm

morecambe mick wrote:May I remind alot of posters on this message board of after the Bury match last season, when a hell of a lot of you lot were really going to town on a younger supporter who regularly travels away, for "making an old man cry"!

Neil G wrote:If the stewards won't do or say anything then it's up to real supporters to do something about it. It only takes a few to stand up to these big mouths and it will soon stop. Odd situation don't you think that a few older so called supporters are being the idiots while the majority of young ones are setting an example of how we should be supporting our club.

No Mick, no Neil...

I don't think our own fans "standing up" to our own fans, who happen to be legitimately expressing an opinion that happens to be negative, is the way forward. Nor is it to "make them cry". The way forward is to out sing them. Or ignore them.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:21 pm

Keith wrote:

Neil G wrote:If the stewards won't do or say anything then it's up to real supporters to do something about it. It only takes a few to stand up to these big mouths and it will soon stop. Odd situation don't you think that a few older so called supporters are being the idiots while the majority of young ones are setting an example of how we should be supporting our club.

No Mick, no Neil...

I don't think our own fans "standing up" to our own fans, who happen to be legitimately expressing an opinion that happens to be negative, is the way forward. Nor is it to "make them cry". The way forward is to out sing them. Or ignore them.

No Keith...

These people need standing up too and if all it takes is somebody to turn around and tell them to "shut up or get out" then that is what is neccessary. They are a disgrace to the club, I would urge the players or the management to tell them off as well, they are human after all. I don't think mick was encouraging anybody to "make them cry" but something has to be done.
Bare Ben

Postby ezz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 pm

I agree about standing up to the morons that come to matches and shout abuse at our own management and players. Next time you hear him ask him if he's a football manager if he says no tell him to sit down and shut up.
Shouting abuse at Sammy is not on, we as fans owe him a great deal for delivering us football league football, and if these t**ts end up annoying him to the point of leaving it would be a disaster!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Hodgie wrote:If we lose on saturday,so what .

:shock: :o :?: :!:

Sammy McIlroy doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who would up sticks based on a few comments. He's been in football long enough (and on a much bigger stage) to know to expect it from time to time. Geez, I bet there was a lot more 'abuse' hurled his way during his Northern Ireland tenure!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby USA Shrimp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Maybe it's because I am viewing this from a huge distance, but there is something of a lynch-mob mentality going on here. The 'name and shame' is simply two wrongs trying to make a right. I don't think it is right to make accusations on a message board just like it is not right to hurl personal abuse at players and other club representatives.

It is not right for folk to feel they have free reign to shout and scream abuse, however I think that a quiet word by fellow supporters who are sitting/standing nearby would be a better option than a public hanging without a trial.

Maybe I am going to get shot down for the following but here goes...

Am I alone in thinking that 'the club' needs to grow a thicker skin ? Management, directors, players, etc. have always, and will always continue to get stick from fans. Yes, it is hard to just take the abuse, especially when it is so up close and personal as it is at our level, but Sammy, Lills, and all the staff/players are experienced professionals so can't they just tune it out? I know that when a plonker screams at me I don't give it any credence because they are a plonker.

Never argue with a fool - onlookers won't be able to tell the difference. (I think that's Mark Twain, right Keith?)

Just to be clear, I think it is reprehensible to shout abuse at players. We should be supporters and support our team. I love MFC and will support them evermore.
USA Shrimp

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 pm

USA, with the one I'm thinking about the quiet word has been tried, twice by myself and I know at least once by another member on here.

Tried and doesn't work, this person is VERY loud I'm surprised you haven't heard him yourself over there. :shock:

Football fans have always been vociferous, long may that continue but in the right circumstances.

Supportive.
morecambe mick

Postby wijit » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Possibly the earlier mention on here regarding match sponsorship is a thought. Surely we could arrange enough of us on here to have a "Shrimpsvoices" sponsored game and put ourselves in a position where we could show positive support from the stand?
wijit

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 pm

wijit wrote:Possibly the earlier mention on here regarding match sponsorship is a thought. Surely we could arrange enough of us on here to have a "Shrimpsvoices" sponsored game and put ourselves in a position where we could show positive support from the stand?

What happens if Ned shouts the loudest though, and won't people only whinge that there's no, or few, photo's?

:lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby Jody » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 pm

If I was there, there would be no way Ned would shout loudest.
Seriously though, I'd be quite happy to stand in the paddock next game and tell people to shut up. BUT I'm a bit too defensive at the best of times and would probably end up lamping someone! :lol:
Jody

Postby morecambe TID » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Jody wrote:If I was there, there would be no way Ned would shout loudest.
Seriously though, I'd be quite happy to stand in the paddock next game and tell people to shut up. BUT I'm a bit too defensive at the best of times and would probably end up lamping someone! :lol:

......... and then you wouldnt be able to watch morecambe play unless we sneaked you in of course :lol:
also known as kirsty =)
morecambe TID

Postby Sammy h » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:16 pm

ezz wrote:I agree about standing up to the morons that come to matches and shout abuse at our own management and players. Next time you hear him ask him if he's a football manager if he says no tell him to sit down and shut up.
Shouting abuse at Sammy is not on, we as fans owe him a great deal for delivering us football league football, and if these t**ts end up annoying him to the point of leaving it would be a disaster!

You say that as if they could reply "yes" back to you :lol:
Sammy h

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion