Club appeals to fans...

Club appeals to fans...

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Re: Club appeals to fans...

Postby slackAlice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 pm

Taylor said he was disappointed with some of the comments made to players and the management at Saturday's game with Grimsby and has asked for supporters to get behind the club.

I was in the North Stand on Saturday and there was nothing untoward anywhere near us as regards abuse ?? There was a bit of moaning and groaning but that was to be expected with what was served up , but the singing and clapping was first rate IMO.
This seems to be a longish standing problem with one part of the ground - could the individuals making the comments be spoken to by stewards ; if its becoming 'too much' could said individuals be asked to leave and return when they've calmed down a bit ???

What is being shouted / said ?? Is it just the usual 'booing & hissing' or is it foul language ?
slackAlice

Postby fletch_al » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:03 pm

was it a hostile atmosphere on saturday? i wasnt at the game. maybe this is just a minority of people stood near the tunnel
fletch_al

Postby wijit » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:03 pm

I find it quite shocking that he has to ask fans to stop the abuse. Crikey, how long did it take us to get promotion? And now, in our second season we want to complain? Quick reality check here; We are geographically at a disadvantage to a lot of our fellow league 2-ers. We don't get the crowds most of them get, so what we need where we miss on quantity is quality. Get right behind the team, show them you're there to support and if, towards the end of the season we're still looking bad then we can complain. Sammy has done a lot of changes over summer, and HAS to be allowed to try things out to prepare for a future which will not include some of the players we've been fortunate enough to be able to rely on.
We are supporters. Lets SUPPORT.
wijit

Postby campdave » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:06 pm

slackAlice wrote:
Taylor said he was disappointed with some of the comments made to players and the management at Saturday's game with Grimsby and has asked for supporters to get behind the club.

I was in the North Stand on Saturday and there was nothing untoward anywhere near us as regards abuse ?? There was a bit of moaning and groaning but that was to be expected with what was served up , but the singing and clapping was first rate IMO.
This seems to be a longish standing problem with one part of the ground - could the individuals making the comments be spoken to by stewards ; if its becoming 'too much' could said individuals be asked to leave and return when they've calmed down a bit ???

What is being shouted / said ?? Is it just the usual 'booing & hissing' or is it foul language ?

Don't know specifics, but there have been several mentions in other threads about personal absue being hurled from the paddock, near where the dugouts are.
campdave

Postby wijit » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:11 pm

campdave wrote:
slackAlice wrote:

Don't know specifics, but there have been several mentions in other threads about personal absue being hurled from the paddock, near where the dugouts are.

And this lends support to my suggestion a while ago that this area be turned into a family area.
wijit

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Here, Here Rod !!
Twas like a battlefield adjacent/behind the directors area on Saturday.
Come on guys F.F.S. SUPPORT the team.

I for one look forward to the away games for a bit of peace :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby fletch_al » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:14 pm

town full of chavs! ur gonna get some idiots. they should be spoken to by the stewards. id rather have fewer fans that are supportive than a whole load of abusive ones
fletch_al

Postby Mark S » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 pm

fletch_al wrote:town full of chavs! ur gonna get some idiots. they should be spoken to by the stewards. id rather have fewer fans that are supportive than a whole load of abusive ones

What is embarrasing is that it is the older supporters who should know better, not the young ones.

The abuse that is hurled is nothing short of shocking.

Personally I dont subscribe to the 'I have paid my money and I am entitled to say what I want' attitude. We are meant to be supporters. All for constructive criticism at the right time, but not abuse towards management and players during a game.

We are playing at the highest level in our history.

We have a management team that have succeeded in bringing us to this level and keeping us there.

We are attracting top calibre players that would never have looked twice at Morecambe previously.

I would hate it to all come crashing down because a few socially challenged individuals make them decide to go elsewhere.

We have been spoilt by success.
Mark S

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 pm

fletch_al wrote:town full of chavs!

A chav is an "aggressive youth that generally wears counterfeit branded clothing"

The abuse is certainly not coming from the above in the Main Stand :!:
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 pm

You're dead right. Players and 'McIlroy' (not 'Sammy') were evidently getting some very personal flak from one or two individuals in the main stand who certainly weren't 'chavs'.
They were in their 30s and 40s and looked like your normal blokes. I witnessed one who was constantly shouting 'it's embarrassing McIlroy' and comments like 'get it right or get out!'. I didn't see or hear the abuse directed at Drummy so can't comment on that.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby slackAlice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Reading between the lines and talking to fellow Morecambe fans - it would seem that the "people" who shout the 'comments' [abuse] do so on a regular basis and perhaps feel they , having paid their admission, have every right to shout what they want ?

I don't think appeals to these people will help - I think they need to be approached by stewards or even fellow fans and told that they need to cease or leave - isolate them - if its effecting the players / bench/coaching staff it needs to be dealt with at the time.
slackAlice

Postby Raeyes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:38 pm

Where I was stood (middle of the North Stand) I believe that the atmosphere was quite positive towards the team. But having stood in different areas of the ground over the years, it is noticeable that a few rude dry old men make their opinions known quite bluntly to the management/officials/players. Worryingly this has been the case for as long as I've known it (CBers). Now, I'm not saying that everybody who sits in the Main stand or stands in the Paddock is negative, just that those amongst our support who are glass half-empty-ers (less soap box king Bryan) seem to congregate in these areas and can be heard by the board but not the majority of the home support.

Sensible suggestion - why don't the directors come and stand amongst the North Stand? I'm sure they would be appreciated and soon realise that the negativity of those who bother to show up is in the minority.

From my point what I was more concerned about on Saturday (as I didn't hear all this negativity) was the attendance. Under 2,000 on a scorching day when most people are now back from holidays etc, was pretty poor.
Last edited by Raeyes on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raeyes

Postby fletch_al » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:40 pm

argh dam board police deleting my post! lol

i definitely think that turning that area behind the dugouts to a family area is a good idea. would stop the abuse, but also kids will cheer the team no matter what which could lift spirits and the worst of times
fletch_al

Postby steve mfc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm

maybe a small portion of the north stand should move to the paddock for the next home game, then these moaners wont be heard.
steve mfc

Postby slackAlice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 pm

steve mfc wrote:maybe a small portion of the north stand should move to the paddock for the next home game, then these moaners wont be heard.

Thats a good idea , a small vocal , peaceful group singing uplifting chants with balloons to drown out the Moaners !
slackAlice

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:59 pm

A couple of very, very salient points here.

Mark S: "We have a management team that have succeeded in bringing us to this level and keeping us there.
I would hate it to all come crashing down because a few socially challenged individuals make them decide to go elsewhere."

And Raeyes's observation on the crowds.

Peter McGuigan and Sammy McIlroy both have the 'clout' and background to be at bigger clubs than Morecambe.

They are here because they have an ambition - both for the club and personally - and because, up to now, they've found it an enjoyable place to be.
In truth - without being sycophantic - we should be grateful that we have them at Morecambe.

But we've seen quite a few very recent examples where people like owners and managers have just upped sticks and walked out on clubs when that enjoyment is taken away.

We are not enjoying the best of starts to this season - but we've not looked like getting hammered by anyone either (Rotherham was the worst but even that wasn't a complete hammering). And just who do some people think they are complaining about not being able to wipe the floor with 'a team like Grimsby' - this is 'Grimsby' (look where they've come from in footballing terms) - playing us, 'Morecambe!' (ditto)??.

We are still picking up points and some of us actually believe that with a little bit of tinkering - and everyone pulling together - we can do even better and start to put a run together with a few more wins in it.

As a club we sit on the verge of (potentially) a major, new era for this club and - if it all comes off - of a significant boost to our town with the new stadium.

We need to be very, very careful.

Neither Peter McGuigan nor Sammy McIlroy, unlike us fans, has anything that really holds them to Morecambe apart from their own ambitions for the club and the enjoyment they've had in their time here.

There is a tricky economic climate at the moment and if Mr McGuigan decides he's not enjoying it here any more - because of a few very vocal abuse-merchants - who could blame him for not taking the punt on the massive investment the board is currently wanting to make in our club's future?

Take all that away and where would we be? Just how attractive would a club that attracts 2,000 (when we're playing at our highest ever level) be to a new investor?

It IS only a minority but from where I was sitting (and not far from where the directors were sitting) on Saturday it was a very vocal one.

The North Stand was brilliant again and that's what I call the real support.

Others who sit or stand elsewhere do their bit but often they can appear to be drowned out by one or two loud-mouths.

Maybe it's time for people to have a quiet word.

I'm not saying people should be happy when we're playing badly or when, in our opinion, players who should be in the team aren't getting a game and vice-versa.
But there are ways and means of getting a point across in a less confrontational and much less vindictive and personal way.

We ARE all in this together and we need to make sure a few don't absolutely ruin it for the vast majority.
shrimper

Postby sgt major » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:04 pm

The comment at the end of the article about the friendliness of the club is not just about the home support but I think the loyal lads and lasses who get on the road to support the team. I dont see or hear any of the so called dried up old men from the main stand at many of the games on the road.

I dont expect many will be at Lincoln on Saturday where we will be making aquaintance with our opposite fans, sit in the same side as the home fans and sing our hearts out for the team.

That's what fans do - not throw very personal abuse at players and management.
sgt major

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:06 pm

shrimper wrote:It IS only a minority but from where I was sitting (and not far from where the directors were sitting) on Saturday it was a very vocal one.

Take ya pick for a name and shame :roll:

http://www.morecambefc.premiumtv.co.uk/ ... 18,00.html

Pics 40 and 41 just about cover it 8-)
marky No.1

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:11 pm

The rows just behind the directors are for the match sponsors.
Phoenix

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Phoenix wrote:The rows just behind the directors are for the match sponsors.

They are the rows behind the "away" directors/entourage in Block B.
Your picture was taken while the sponsors were still enjoying their Chardonnay, Brian :lol:

Our Directors are straight down from the Tardis with our "fans" inbetween ;)
marky No.1

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Ahh yes, behind Graham. Missed out some key seats in those photos, haven't I?
Phoenix

Postby Christies Child » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:49 pm

....and before fingers start pointing in my direction, I admit to shouting 'this is crap' but NOT personal abuse towards either the manager of more importantly to the players.

Whilst I may have issues with regards to certain of Sammy's tactics, personal abuse serves no purpose.

A manager lives or dies by results. Fortunately unlike a couple of other League 2 clubs, our Board take the long view and quite rightly will not be swade one way or t'other by the vociferous actions of a couple of individuals.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Christies Child wrote:....and before fingers start pointing in my direction, I admit to shouting 'this is crap' but NOT personal abuse towards either the manager of more importantly to the players.

Whilst I may have issues with regards to certain of Sammy's tactics, personal abuse serves no purpose.

A manager lives or dies by results. Fortunately unlike a couple of other League 2 clubs, our Board take the long view and quite rightly will not be swade one way or t'other by the vociferous actions of a couple of individuals.

I have seen CC 'get his hair off' from time to time but it wasn't him who I heard delivering the very personal comments I referred to from Saturday. There were a couple of people responsible but, to be honest, I'm not sure I can see them on the photo selected.
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Phoenix wrote:Ahh yes, behind Graham. Missed out some key seats in those photos, haven't I?

Probably cos thers a bloody post in the way!
Number 52 on here shows it better
http://www.morecambefc.premiumtv.co.uk/ ... 24,00.html

(preferred the old website for selecting pics!)

p.s. I know its not you CC so you are definately in the clear ;)

If you look down and I look up we will probably.......... :shock:
marky No.1

Next

Return to General Discussion