Long Throw

Long Throw

Postby outsider » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:09 pm

I was glad to see we used Capaldi's long throw from both sides last night, as we are struggling to put away chances I think anyway we can get the ball in the box and unsettle defenders is worth trying. I would like to see us use it for the rest of the season, just need to get the flick on sorted and watch the goals flow.

Unbeaten in three and my glass is half full again ;)
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Re: Long Throw

Postby broadwayshrimp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I think Capaldi is settling into the side very nicely now. Good decision to keep him on.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

[quote="broadwayshrimp"]I think Capaldi is settling into the side very nicely now. Good decision to keep him on.[/quote]

Told ya.....but ya wouldn't believe me! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby broadwayshrimp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Christies Child wrote:[[b]

You did indeed CC :o but in my defence I was one of those who was non commital on Capaldi as a player. To be fair he's played well since getting back into the side and offers much more than just long throw ins.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:20 pm

I thought Capaldi was immense last night. Great performance.

So much so, wouldn't have been surprised if Rod and his party had picked him as Man Of The Match.

Glad we have retained his services.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Shoot Capaldi, shoot shoot Capaldi!!!

If he plays, and at the moment there's no reason why he shouldn't, we've got to utilise his long-throw attributes. It can be more effective than a corner...you can't be offside from a thow.

He has improved but it is hilarious watching you hippies blow an average performance way out of proportion. If we had an out and out left winger, who would you play at left back? Capaldi or Wilson? Discuss, before you all get duped into signing up to another bogus insurance company for lemons...aptly called lemon insurance!!!
RedRedWine1

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:49 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Shoot Capaldi, shoot shoot Capaldi!!!

If he plays, and at the moment there's no reason why he shouldn't, we've got to utilise his long-throw attributes. It can be more effective than a corner...you can't be offside from a thow.

Can you be offside from a corner?? :?
morecambe mick

Postby George Dawes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm

He has improved but it is hilarious watching you hippies blow an average performance way out of proportion. If we had an out and out left winger, who would you play at left back? Capaldi or Wilson? Discuss, before you all get duped into signing up to another bogus insurance company for lemons...aptly called lemon insurance!!!

id play Capaldi and then play Wilson in the holding role sitting in-front of the back four and then have him running onto loose balls coming back out of the box and smashing them back in on goal first time with his sweet left foot 8-) ;)
George Dawes

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:02 pm

morecambe mick wrote:

Good call Mick :oops:

Can't be offside from a throw, corner or goal kick. More effective than a free-kick from out wide then.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 pm

RedRedWine wrote:
morecambe mick wrote:

Good call Mick :oops:

Can't be offside from a throw, corner or goal kick. More effective than a free-kick from out wide then.

Whats offside??

what does that mean :?:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby seasonsinthesun » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Ask Sian..she knows.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Ask Sian..she knows.

Just asked her and she said (bleepbleep)????
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Sammy h » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Pretty sure you can be offside from a goal kick?

Much better display from Capaldi than Saturday, we need to keep using his long throws.
Sammy h

Postby Vinny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 am

I'm sure you can be off-side from a goal-kick (obviously beyond the half-way line). We're certainly flagged off-side for that often enough!

Yep, agree Capaldi has improved in last few games since getting back in the team, and was on my short-list for motm.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:20 am

I'm sure I've had this on a trivia question. If you receive the ball directly from a goal kick you can't/shouldn't be given offside. I've googled it but I'm still not sure, there seems to be conflicting articles.

If you can't, I suppose that also begs the question if you are stood miles offside and receive the ball straight from a goal kick, if you headed the ball backwards to somebody else who was also ahead of the last man, would they be offside??? All we need is a keeper that can kick the ball 90 yards and we'll be cooking!!! What this has to do with Capaldi I don't know.
RedRedWine1

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:30 am

A player cannot be offside from either a goal-kick or a throw in.

Obviously if a player flicks on a goal-kick or a throw in to a player in an offside position then that player is offside.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 am

RedRedWine wrote:I'm sure I've had this on a trivia question. If you receive the ball directly from a goal kick you can't/shouldn't be given offside. I've googled it but I'm still not sure, there seems to be conflicting articles.

If you can't, I suppose that also begs the question if you are stood miles offside and receive the ball straight from a goal kick, if you headed the ball backwards to somebody else who was also ahead of the last man, would they be offside??? All we need is a keeper that can kick the ball 90 yards and we'll be cooking!!! What this has to do with Capaldi I don't know.

No, because you are not off-side if you are behind the ball when it is played to you.

Download the laws of the game here:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affeder ... 11%5fe.pdf

LAW 11

A player is in an offside position if:
• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

But you are right about the goal kick...

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
• a goal kick
• a throw-in
• a corner kick
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion