globe bar

globe bar

Postby glagys » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:28 pm

read in the Visitor today about the bar closing midweek due to lack of custom ??

well looks like the rifle sights found another foot to shoot ( our own of course)

i seem to remember a thread on here maybe started by me not sure

but it was going on about meal deals etc even had a bit of input from i think "steve the barman"

but when i mentioned it around no one had seen any offers, i think that was the main idea behind the thread " lack of advertising "
and i know it was advertised on here,
but loads of the older fans ( who may not have a computer) don't visit shrimpsvoices so they dont know about any offers
just looks like we are in money troubles already

and i should think are foe's from over the lune will be rubbing there hands at our demise

how much would it cost to get some leaflets printed and dished out i think we even have some people that could do that at GOOD price :D

anyway rant over for now but still mad
glagys

Re: globe bar

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 pm

to be fair to the staff and club, most existing pubs are losing money at the moment, a mate of mine is having an engagement do there soon as the w/l is booked on the night so functions is obviously an option in the bar and grill.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:12 pm

A few months ago I suggested that the club should appoint somebody who was responsible for organising entertainment in the Bar particularly during the week to encourage more people to make use of the facilities. I got absolutely slated by a certain individual.....

Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all.
:(
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby glagys » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 pm

here here CC

when i asked if anyone had ever seen the bar advertised they all said yes
i said "what the bar?"

and they all replied with " well the function room is that the same thing ??"

i rest my case

for now
glagys

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

It would never have worked as a full time working pub/bar neil, it would however work for function on non matchdays,or double bookings.
mrpotatohead

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:26 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:It would never have worked as a full time working pub/bar neil, it would however work for function on non matchdays,or double bookings.

Last Friday it was used for a party, hence the two holes in the wall in the gents :evil: :evil:
morecambe mick

Postby Christies Child » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:It would never have worked as a full time working pub/bar neil, it would however work for function on non matchdays,or double bookings.

Depends on what was put on AND would attract the non footballing public?

There's a Uni community who live in the area who could be targeted with special nights put on for them. For example: Amateur comedy nights (there's plenty of talent on SVs :lol: )
Country and Western nights
Soul nights
Quiz nights
Wii challenge nights or similar
Offer the Bar for use by local clubs

It would take promoting and a lot of hard work, but surely it could be done by a dedicated individual?
Christies Child

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Christies Child wrote:

Depends on what was put on AND would attract the non footballing public?

There's a Uni community who live in the area who could be targeted with special nights put on for them. For example: Amateur comedy nights (there's plenty of talent on SVs :lol: )
Country and Western nights
Soul nights
Quiz nights
Wii challenge nights or similar
Offer the Bar for use by local clubs

It would take promoting and a lot of hard work, but surely it could be done by a dedicated individual?

What, you mean by a junior club? :D
morecambe mick

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:52 pm

All pubs struggle for trade through the week and it's getting even harder for them so they all rely on quiz nights, darts teams , pool teams or special events to get people in on a weekday night none of which the Globe has.

I also know people who live on Westage who didn't even know the bar was open :o Also the bar is a more a club/bar more than an actual pub so all your locals/non football people are still going to go to Mitchell as their local.

and at £3.10 a pint people round there deff wont be popping in for the odd pint through the week. Also quite a few people round the Regent Park area will be members at the Cricket Club where beer is £2.50. Take a Sunday afternoon when Lpool or Utd are playing on Sky the Cricket Club can get quite busy (which is what the Globe should be like) but at 60p a pint cheaper the Globe just can't compete.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby glagys » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 pm

but at 60p a pint cheaper the Globe just can't compete.

why cannot they compete ??

who supplies the beer ??

not a member of the board is it ??

well sorry we should be looking at the cheapest option

to get people in
glagys

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 pm

from my experience pub locals like their nearest local, that has been around for years, i have a preferred local end of, i will use the facilies on matchdays but other than that :?:

it was never gonna happen :!:
mrpotatohead

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 pm

You would think the Globe should be like a free house and be able to do a deal with somene like Carlsberg direct (which is what I think the CC does).

Instead our prices are more in line with brewery owned pubs who have a middleman to cover as well.

Christie Child makes some good points about the type of events that could be held there.
Look at Mick at the York he is always holding theme nights etc to try and encourage people and his quiz night is very popular.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby SPARKYM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:35 pm

glagys wrote:

who supplies the beer ??

to get people in

I suspect the supplier has nothing to do with the over the bar drinks prices And that the Globe management set the profit margines
SPARKYM

Postby hoooti » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:56 pm

Generating Business is very difficult. I think the going out! culture has changed. I am involved at the Trimpell Club and we find it hard to generate new business during the week.

If you need a alternative to wherever you drink at the moment why not try us.
we are open to all, and have reduced memberships to £10 a year, which at the moment gives you 20% off our competetitive prices. ie Strongbow £2.40 a pint Carlsberg export £2.45 a pint, Bitter £2.10 a pint.

We also have lots of great events coming up. 70s fancy dress night 12/02 Gentlemans evening with exotic dancers and comedian 19/02 and lots more.

See www.trimpell.org.uk for more details
hoooti

Postby Suffolk Shrimp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:03 pm

This is also the quietest time of the year for a pub/bar, I've been in the pub business for over 12 years and February is always our quietest month. But if the bar starts closing now and any casual customers turn up and find it closed then they will think twice before going back.

As has been said darts and pool teams help along with a weekly quiz and open mic evening or a meal deal would all help, it is not going to be an overnight success and will take a year or two of advertising to get it going.

There must be people using the sports pitches and gym of an evening I'm sure some of them must want or need a beer afterwards.
Suffolk Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am

...and a lot of them won't have had a full meal before playing, so some decent food at a reasonable price would tempt a few in as well.

I've done it on Thursdays after 5-a-side and, on the occasions it's been on (cottage pie, fish pie, pasta etc) it's been excellent.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby thegentlegiant » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:23 pm

for me the Globe Bar is ideally situated to hold a dj evening once a month on a Friday, prob on the last Friday of the month.

People can start their night their say from 7pm till 1130pm, then people can go from their to Morecambe or Lancaster!! I think it would work and something I would like to see trialled maybe the supports club could try and arrange as a one off and see if it does work? Ill bring it up at the next committee meeting!
thegentlegiant

Postby greenshrimp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Are they still actively looking to get a hotel on site?

That'd be job done assuming a hotel got decent mid-week occupancy and they had a deal going so that the bar/catering offered guests special deals.
greenshrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:12 pm

glagys wrote:

who supplies the beer ??

to get people in

You'd think that by actually owning the local brewery that makes some cracking ales they'd be able to blow all this 60p a pint cheaper mass produced garbage out of the water and at a keener price
HALMA 1983

Postby Christies Child » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 pm

greenshrimp wrote:Are they still actively looking to get a hotel on site?

That'd be job done assuming a hotel got decent mid-week occupancy and they had a deal going so that the bar/catering offered guests special deals.

I'm sure they are BUT the economic conditions don't argue well for a deal to be sorted in the near future I would have thought.

It would certainly help the Globe Bar to be more viable I would assume.

Am I alone in thinking that the Globe project has been fraught with problems since the first contractor moved in?
Last edited by Christies Child on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Christies Child wrote:
greenshrimp wrote:Are they still actively looking to get a hotel on site?

I'm sure they are BUT the economic conditions don't argue well for a deal to be sorted in the near future I would have thought.

It would certainly help the Globe Bar to be more viable I would assume.

Am I alone in thinking that the Globe project has been faught with problems since the first contractor moved in?

i have been told that land is currently for sale

and the club do right it was a good idea to start with but the current economic climate that land could be empty for as long as the recession lasts and that could be a good 5yrs

id rather the money be re-invested back into finishing the globe arena off
George Dawes

Return to General Discussion