O/T It could be worse....

O/T It could be worse....

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:12 am

... you could be a Watford fan :lol: :lol: :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edj4wBwePLU

The actual goal has been zapped already!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: O/T It could be worse....

Postby Phoenix » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:06 pm

The football league (via football dataco) are clamping down on stuff appearing on unofficial sites but it's online at Virgin Media sports pages;

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/Home/
Phoenix

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:41 pm

The worms are wriggling out of the can already :o

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 31,00.html

No doubt the supporters would have to pay to get in again :?:
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:58 pm

I like this quote:

"Winger Stephen Hunt - who took the corner - admitted the linesman's verdict was "the worst decision I have ever witnessed".

Hunt said: "It was a screamer! No, it was probably the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

"We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'."

Why, precisely, not?

Like Roy Carroll in 'that' game couldn't say: "Look ref, it was a yard and a half over the line. In fact it was nearer the back of the net than the goal-line."

Of course you can. And it would say more about you as a man, playing the game in the spirit it was intended to be played, if you did.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrGjuSFw9g

This remains one of my favourite football moments in my 40-odd years of watching the game and it didn't do him any harm, he even won a couple of awards on the back of what some people would consider to be merely 'doing what's right'.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby wonder shrimp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:12 pm

i was thinking about this earlier. the ref has made an appalling decision (not least of all as absolutely nobody was trying to claim the goal) BUT if reading just sat back and let watford score that would have been a massive slap in the face for the ref, which whilst deserved would have made it very difficult for him to continue IMHO.
wonder shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 pm

We were discussing this at lunchtime. Wasn't there a game where one team were allowed by their opponents to walk the ball into the net to make up for a "bad" goal?
Phoenix

Postby wonder shrimp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:06 pm

there was a related video on youtube of exactly that, looked like ajax, and i think the same things happened in the last few years with a millwall youth/reserve game.
wonder shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Phoenix wrote:We were discussing this at lunchtime. Wasn't there a game where one team were allowed by their opponents to walk the ball into the net to make up for a "bad" goal?

There was this one -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content ... ture.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMK7EMKMx4
marky No.1

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 pm

marky No.1

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Didn't it happen in a Yeovil game as well.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:53 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Didn't it happen in a Yeovil game as well.

Good memory!

FOOTBALL IN BRIEF: YEOVIL'S `VICTORY FOR SPORTSMANSHIP'
Independent, The (London), Aug 26, 2004
The Yeovil manager Gary Johnson described his decision to gift Plymouth Argyle an immediate equaliser during his side's 3-2 Carling Cup win on Tuesday as "a victory for sportsmanship". At Huish Park the Yeovil striker Lee Johnson attempted to play the ball back to Plymouth's goalkeeper, Luke McCormick, after an injury, only for the ball to sail into the net from almost 50 yards. In an act of great sportsmanship, Johnson allowed the Argyle striker Steve Crawford to walk the ball into the net at the other end to level the score

all this sportsmanship must be something to do with the Carling Cup :roll:
marky No.1

Postby Raeyes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Phoenix wrote:We were discussing this at lunchtime. Wasn't there a game where one team were allowed by their opponents to walk the ball into the net to make up for a "bad" goal?

I seem to remember something similar a couple of seasons ago, possibly involving Yeovil. I believe a team had been sportingly trying to return the ball to the opposition goalie, after the opposition themselves had kicked the ball out to allow the team in question to tend to a player whom had been injured. Unfortunately the opposition keeper made a right pig's ear of it and the ball went in. Sportingly the side who had been trying to give the ball back but benefited from it, allowed the opposition to have a goal by letting them run all the way to the goal from the kick-off and put it in an empty net.

Another example is from last season in the Carling Cup. A game between Nottm Forest and Leicester was abandoned at half-time due to a Leicester player collapsing in the changing room. Forest were 1-0 up at the time. When the game was replayed a week or so later the Forest goalie took the kick-off and dribbled the ball from the half-way line, unopposed to score and restore the scoreline to 1-0 (which is what the score was after 45 minutes in the game that had to be called off). Unfortunately there were now 90mins to hang on for Forest and not 45 as there would have been in the cancelled game. The tricky trees lost 2-1.

I see no reason as to why Reading couldn't have done something like the above two examples, its no use saying they are willing to replay the game now as the game has ended in a result (I think this may be because they feel they could get 3 points and not 1 in a re-arranged fixture. cynical? me? never!). If this were the case, how many games would need replaying? The Liverpool goal on Stoke should have counted, lets get that replayed. Arsenals equaliser on Saturday was offside, send them back to the Reebok on a cold Tuesday night and lets see how the soft southern sods cope.

It's in the best interests of the game for the players on the field to sort out a fair resolution amongst themselves when an official has made a blatant mistake. I remember saying after the spurs game that Carrol should have held his hand-up, though was not surprised when he did not. As he did not, it reflected badly on his character and that of his side which I'm sad to say was to be expected. A reason why many people dislike Manchester United (myself included) is nothing to do with the way in which they play, but how they conduct themselves and what they are willing to do to win (cheat). It is a bit like walking in Cricket IMO and this new debatable low catch thing that keeps cropping up. If everyone was honest we would not have a problem, but unfortunately they are not and so we do.
Raeyes

Postby Crooky MFC » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Look who was in goal..............Scott Loach :lol:
Crooky MFC

Postby Hodgie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:32 pm

shrimper wrote:I like this quote:

"Winger Stephen Hunt - who took the corner - admitted the linesman's verdict was "the worst decision I have ever witnessed".

Hunt said: "It was a screamer! No, it was probably the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

"We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'."

Why, precisely, not?

Like Roy Carroll in 'that' game couldn't say: "Look ref, it was a yard and a half over the line. In fact it was nearer the back of the net than the goal-line."

Of course you can. And it would say more about you as a man, playing the game in the spirit it was intended to be played, if you did.

This remains one of my favourite football moments in my 40-odd years of watching the game and it didn't do him any harm, he even won a couple of awards on the back of what some people would consider to be merely 'doing what's right'.

Did your Fat knackers team get awarded a pen last thursday. you came up to me and said 'it was never a penalty but your team still took it and scored.

be a man my friend.
Hodgie

Postby Sammy h » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:25 pm

shrimper wrote:I like this quote:

Why, precisely, not?

But he can also do this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nkYxzwZnytU&feature=related :lol:
Sammy h

Return to General Discussion