Rivals

Rivals

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:53 pm

I think we should make more of a rivalry with some of the teams local to us, especially Accrington Stanley. Im not talking about violence etc but maybe it would be healthier for the club to put more emphasis on being higher than Stanley in the league etc, beating them home and away and maybe we can draw a successful season as finishing higher than them instead of worrying about not being top of the league. It could help draw more fans and perhaps create a better atmosphere at the christie park as it seems abit dull lately. Hell it might even make us play better knowing that it would mean a lot to finish higher than Stanley and give some players some more motivation to do better.
I'm not saying we dont care about beating them etc but if you look at rivalries higher up you can see it does have positive effects and makes matches more exciting. I think our club seems to try and be everyones friend which gets abit boring :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Re: Rivals

Postby mfc:) » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Accrington stanley
Rochdale
Bury
Will those three do and we finished in front of bury and stanley last season.
As far as i no dont we allready have a bit of a rivalry between us and stanley.
mfc:)

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Yeh i realise we recognise them as rivals due them being close but think we dont make the most of it.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Bls Shrimp » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Yeah im all for making rivalries. Personally mine are Stanley and Bradford, after everything that happned with Thommo - and the fact they blatently went out to get him when we went to their place.

But anyway, i think we should move the away fans to the carwash, having the away fans nearer us would make for a well better atmosphere. And then that means that we have home supporters behind both goals, so surely that would have a positive effect on the players knowing theyre not gonna get abuse from away fans when we take, penalties or corners etc etc.

I think it makes sense anyway, has the club ever thought of this?
Bls Shrimp

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:09 pm

ezz wrote: perhaps create a better atmosphere at the christie park as it seems abit dull lately. :

I thought the atmosphere was great yesterday with the new style of "Oh when the reds" and the new "I can't get rid of my earwig" chant. Praise must go to a respected member of this board who has returned to the top of the north stand with the drum. I say respected because he hit me for refering to him as senior :oops:
Bare Ben

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Bls Shrimp wrote:

But anyway, i think we should move the away fans to the carwash, having the away fans nearer us would make for a well better atmosphere. And then that means that we have home supporters behind both goals, so surely that would have a positive effect on the players knowing theyre not gonna get abuse from away fans when we take, penalties or corners etc etc.

Rochdale's ground is a good reason not to do this, they have two sets of supporters singing different songs at the same time and it just sounded awful. Anyway, surely we want the people that can be bothered to stand up in the north stand? IMO it would hamper the atmosphere in North stand, we want to get as many people in there as possible and get it rocking like we all know it can.
Bare Ben

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:17 pm

I think it's very difficult, if not impossible to manufacture 'rivalry'. I'd rather finish above Bradford and below Stanley than above Stanley but below Bradford, not because they are our 'rivals' but simply because it would be a greater achievement. Finishing above Port Vale will do as I work with a PV fan!

Agreed, the lads made a good fist of the atmosphere yesterday, including the old bugger who returned to banging the drum! :roll: Hope they can keep the noise going next game. Only thing is, not sure about singing for the main stand to 'stand up', most of them are exhausted by the time they climb to their seat, and I believe the stewards collect all the walking sticks in for the game so that no-one trips over them. :roll: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:20 pm

If the team had matched the performance of the North Stand yesterday the game would have been over by half time.

The balloons looked great and the senior drummer kept the singing at a cracking pace and level. :D

What happened to that 'North West Mini League' that was around last season?
Mark S

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:25 pm

Mark S wrote:senior drummer

You're in for it now :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Amongst creating a better atmosphere i thought it would probably give a boost or incentive to the players to give me in their matches...especially in the local games. But it could create a bit morse local pride which is our catchment area for attracting fans and getting a larger attendance.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Problem is, most of our more established rivalries were created in our non-league days. I can think of none greater than Southport. We're new to this level and, other than Accy Stan, we've only played our local teams 2 or 3 times.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Bls Shrimp » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Rochdale's ground is a good reason not to do this, they have two sets of supporters singing different songs at the same time and it just sounded awful. Anyway, surely we want the people that can be bothered to stand up in the north stand? IMO it would hamper the atmosphere in North stand, we want to get as many people in there as possible and get it rocking like we all know it can.

Well surely only the people from the carwash would go into the umbro, and all those who wanted to sing would stay in the north stand. Not affecting the north stand at all.

Ok, the atmosphere in the big games is awesome. And i couldn't knock it on saturday. But in the normal games against teams like Aldershot then surely it would improve the atmosphere if the away fans were closer to us, more banter etc.
Bls Shrimp

Postby sgt major » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Bls Shrimp wrote:

Well surely only the people from the carwash would go into the umbro, and all those who wanted to sing would stay in the north stand. Not affecting the north stand at all.

Ok, the atmosphere in the big games is awesome. And i couldn't knock it on saturday. But in the normal games against teams like Aldershot then surely it would improve the atmosphere if the away fans were closer to us, more banter etc.

Talking of Aldershot - you go there and the home and away fans are seperated by a net down the middle of the Kop. The atmosphere there is intimidating and thankfuly we dont take as many fans that far south to threaten them (vocally, and their manhood by having more fans). Someone told me the net has now been replaced by a small wall - easier for them to throw the coins over - no - leave the away fans down the bottom end - less scope for trouble.
sgt major

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:43 pm

Has it occured to anyone that the people that go in the carwash area like watching the team pitchside, as opposed to behind the goal, as there is plenty of room in our unfilled north stand if that is the view they wanted.

And that the away fans, that we need to keep coming, might not like getting wet by being put in even worse conditions that,
endure at present, i.e no bar etc.

creating rivalry??

Oh and, what would th police then do in the then redundant police control box...????
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Number 1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Mark S wrote:If the team had matched the performance of the North Stand yesterday the game would have been over by half time.

The balloons looked great and the senior drummer kept the singing at a cracking pace and level. :D

What happened to that 'North West Mini League' that was around last season?

It was a Stockport site, County 4 life, and there still is a NW Mini League, sadly, it's a League 1 version now. You could always calculate games thus far and create League 2 one, but it might make depressing reading at the moment.
Number 1

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 pm

I wasn't taking about the stand segregations when making this thread that was one idea, i was just saying about the lack of interest in possible rivalries that we could have. In a perfect world Lancaster would get promoted to ur league in abot 5 years and we could beat them in the league :lol: .
But at least we still have Stanley
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:01 pm

I think having Southport & Barrow in the same league would spice things up a bit :P
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:23 am

Bls Shrimp wrote:Yeah im all for making rivalries. Personally mine are Stanley and Bradford, after everything that happned with Thommo - and the fact they blatently went out to get him when we went to their place.

I think it makes sense anyway, has the club ever thought of this?

I take it you've never had the "pleasure" of standing in The Paddock area of the ground :!:

You ought to try a game from there and listen to the verbal abuse aimed at our players and management team by supposedly "senior" people, it made me sick when I went there, and from what I heard from friends at the weekend it hasn't got any better.
No wonder Twissy and the boss turned around and swore at them :!:

Arseholes.
morecambe mick

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:23 am

Some of the comments from there (and the main stand) can only be described as abuse. And they shout to 'McIlroy' (not 'Sammy') as if he's an enemy, not 'our' manager who got us promoted into the Football League.
Whatever's going on on the pitch this is 'our' team and he's our manager - we're all in it together - and I just can't see where these types are coming from.

Two or three on Saturday were lucky not to have a player or manager climbing the stairs to lamp them.

Anyway - on rivalries, if we are going to get something going, why not pick on a team completely at random to have a totally illogical, manufactured 'rivalry' with.

Notts County or someone? Then we let them know it's because we don't really have a proper 'rival' team and we feel left out. That would be more in keeping with our style, IMO
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ezz » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:54 pm

I just hope when the Stanley game comes around, especially at the pie that everyone turns up and we create a great atmosphere worthy of a "derby". It doesn't matter on the numbers to create the atmospehere, the ones who are willing to sing and chant etc make the difference and we just need more for games like this.

Morecambe the pride of Lancashire :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Martin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:38 pm

One of our main rivals used to be Wigan Athletic.

Why don't we simply get back to back promotions and rekindle that rivalry?
Martin

Return to General Discussion