I believe the children are OUR future

I believe the children are OUR future

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:34 am

Interesting conversation on TalkSport this morning (no, there was !! Really !!) over the proposed ground sharing between Tottenham and West Ham after the Olympics.

It turns out West Ham have in place a major agreement / commitment, to all the local schools in the area, where they have GUARANTEED every child a match ticket for just a POUND. That's every game, entrance for a quid. They have allocated so many thousand seats in their ground (which I would imagine already has a waiting list a mile long for match tickets and season tickets) for this offer. Why are they doing this? Obviously, because they are doing their very best to build up their fan base OF THE FUTURE.

I applaud our club for doing our very own Quid a Kid scheme for the Aldershot (and Shrewsbury) matches, but should we not try and implement this for EVERY game to build up OUR own fanbase of the future too? It's not as if we are struggling for room to house them all in the Globe on a matchday is it?!

I really think our club should look into this and making it a regular occurence, ie, every match. We need to get kids (and their families) into supporting Morecambe now, and long term.

There was a scheme a few years ago where (I think it was) Heysham Port sponsored and gave out free season tickets to Primary School kids. My nephew at Lancaster Road Primary got one, as did my daughter when she left Sandylands. Is this scheme still operational ?

I just feel that in these doom and gloom economic times we need to a) boost our attendances by way of offers like these and b) get youngsters interested in the club for now, and more importantly perhaps, the FUTURE.

More kids in the ground will also increase the noise and atmosphere too of course. No bad thing.

Thoughts ???!!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Re: I believe the children are OUR future

Postby Ntini » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:45 am

I think it's a feasible suggestion that could easily be implemented, although I guess there would need to be some kind of research done into whether it would make financial sense in the long-term. However, I think that perhaps looking to parents, rather than just kids, is a more sensible idea. I know we had a family ticket, but we need to make taking your kids to the Globe a 'cheap' option rather than just reasonable.

Another view of mine is that, rather than have a block of the PMG stand (where you can charge decent rates), a future plan to build a 'mini-stand' on the North Terrace should be considered as a small family stand. That way families are completely seperated from other fans who may use bad language and other factors that keep parents from bringing their kids. You can also incorporate a junior supporters club (perhaps linked in some way to the revised Supporters' Club) to further get kids involved, much like they have at Lincoln.

Just a thought...
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

And a VERY good thought, Ntini.

Let's just hope our board DO read this board from time to time .... !!
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 am

Ntini wrote:You can also incorporate a junior supporters club (perhaps linked in some way to the revised Supporters' Club) to further get kids involved, much like they have at Lincoln.

Just a thought...

Don't want to take over any limelight but YES the "revised" S.C. is going to be in 3 tiers ~ Adult, "teenager" and child. Getting young ones interested in the Club is one of the main criteria 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Ntini » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Ntini wrote:You can also incorporate a junior supporters club (perhaps linked in some way to the revised Supporters' Club) to further get kids involved, much like they have at Lincoln.

Just a thought...

Don't want to take over any limelight but YES the "revised" S.C. is going to be in 3 tiers ~ Adult, "teenager" and child. Getting young ones interested in the Club is one of the main criteria 8-)

There's no 'limelight' here, Mark. It's just something that I noticed was done very well at Lincoln.

When you give supporters a sense of belonging, they keep coming back and want to be more and more involved. It just works.

Seasider9601 wrote:And a VERY good thought, Ntini.

I try my best!!! I'll be on the board one day... ;) :lol: (If only I had the money!!!)
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:15 am

Ntini wrote:There's no 'limelight' here, Mark.

No, I know. I meant stealing it from the new Committee! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:34 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Ntini wrote:There's no 'limelight' here, Mark.

No, I know. I meant stealing it from the new Committee! :lol:

That for us is major thing getting the youth involved with the football club and supporters club, their will very soon be a minute by minute of the meeting which will show all the info discussed.

The interim committee will be meeting again very soon to discuss the way forward.

We want everyone to be involved from children to adults, we need everyone's support and as working as a family we can achieve so much more, I can also tell you that someone else mentioned the season ticket offer to kids at the meeting.

I know the club will be having a Q & A very soon so please keep your ideas in mind and once we know the date come along and ask your questions to the board, I know that Rod Taylor really wants to get a sense of what fans think and what fans think could be done to improve things so lets show the board that we want to help and then they can help us improve and make the whole match day experience so much more special.
thegentlegiant

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:54 am

thegentlegiant wrote: I can also tell you that someone else mentioned the season ticket offer to kids at the meeting.

Do you think this will be something investigated / followed up then gentlegiant? And/or the quid a kid scheme ? I really see this as being something of major importance to our future.

I couldn't make the meeting unfortunately, apologies.
Seasider9601

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:
thegentlegiant wrote: I can also tell you that someone else mentioned the season ticket offer to kids at the meeting.

Do you think this will be something investigated / followed up then gentlegiant? And/or the quid a kid scheme ? I really see this as being something of major importance to our future.

My understanding was that currently the scheme does not exist but it something the supporters club is going to look into.

I am not sure about £1 a kid every game would the club loose a lot of money? and I think our kids prices are very reasonable. Maybe have four £1 a kid games over the seaon especially round xmas when we know attendances might be low it might encourage people to go to a game they might not have bothered with.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Ntini » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:10 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Maybe have four £1 a kid games over the seaon especially round xmas when we know attendances might be low it might encourage people to go to a game they might not have bothered with.

I think that i the wrong attitude to have.

If I were the one making the decision, I'd have it at popular games, Like Accrington or Bradford. Get a full house for a derby game and it creates an unforgettable atmosphere. That's when people will come back, not when there's only 1600, very few away fans and no atmosphere...
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 pm

The kids tickets are already cheap, and we do already have many kids that follow the club up through school in their formative years. Does Heysham port still sponsor free season tickets for primary school leavers?

I personally think that the critical age group for retaining supporters is 17-21. There seems to be so many people who just get out of the habit at this point. Incidentally this is when the cost of attending jumps quite significantly, people leave school and perhaps friendship groups behind, or move away from the area altogether. I'm not sure what could be done about it though, there are so many factors outside of the clubs control and so many other responsibilities that arrive at that age.

Incidentally, the opening question: Why are West Ham giving away match tickets for £1? Surely it's not a PR stunt to secure a £550 Million stadium for free and also the income generated from the sale of Upton Park??? It'll be interesting to see if any scheme is continued if Spurs bid prevails.
RedRedWine1

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:

We will certainly be discussing this, we can try and seek some information from the club regarding this, it may be that its not cost effective.

Although from a fans point a view the more fans in the ground certainly makes for a better atmosphere.
thegentlegiant

Postby Morecambe Jack » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I personally think that the critical age group for retaining supporters is 17-21. There seems to be so many people who just get out of the habit at this point. Incidentally this is when the cost of attending jumps quite significantly, people leave school and perhaps friendship groups behind, or move away from the area altogether. I'm not sure what could be done about it though, there are so many factors outside of the clubs control and so many other responsibilities that arrive at that age.

Absolutely spot on. The jump in price from 16 is too much for some, particularly when most people 16-18 are still in full time education. I have said this before on this forum but there should either be another price bracket for this age group or they should only have to pay child prices. Lets face it, most people in this age group probably try and get in for a kid anyway - but it definitely puts other people off.

Secondly, the club need to do more for students and pull in people from Lancaster University. I know they have given away tickets up there and such, but its a wasted effort when they are charging students £12 for the MBW. Nobody is going to pay that unless your a sucker like me and love the club. I could go and watch Man City every week for around the same price and I'm fairly sure a lot of other clubs in the North West offer similar cheap tickets.

Solution: offer cheap student tickets through the Student Union at Lancaster University and put on coaches (as were promised when the ground move was first proposed) that collects from the University and then stops at places in Lancaster and Morecambe on the way. Two birds, one stone.

I hope the free season tickets are still being given away because they did work - it worked for me and it worked for many others.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:42 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I personally think that the critical age group for retaining supporters is 17-21. There seems to be so many people who just get out of the habit at this point. Incidentally this is when the cost of attending jumps quite significantly, people leave school and perhaps friendship groups behind, or move away from the area altogether....

...and don't forget about supporters who have, or are about to lose their jobs.
Plain Peter

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:
I hope the free season tickets are still being given away because they did work - it worked for me and it worked for many others.

Worked for my nephew too Jack. He's a full season ticket holder now (paid for as well !!) Loves the club, is itching to travel away too. Supporter for evermore. Guaranteed.
Seasider9601

Postby Bare bum » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Not entirely on topic but this

Ntini wrote
a future plan to build a 'mini-stand' on the North Terrace should be considered as a small family stand.

probably makes practical sense BUT I'd love to see a standing stand along the lines of the old North Stand built on the present open side!! I don't know whether it's feasible with the space available, but a higher stand that could address the criticism of the present MBW stand, and might re-attract those who don't come any more because they simply don't like it (I know 4 previous regulars who have only been once or twice this season - there must be hundreds). It would also provide a more balanced feel to the whole ground.
This would free up the MBW as a family stand?
Also I'm all for full season "quid for a kid" offers.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Absolutely spot on. The jump in price from 16 is too much for some, particularly when most people 16-18 are still in full time education. I have said this before on this forum but there should either be another price bracket for this age group or they should only have to pay child prices. Lets face it, most people in this age group probably try and get in for a kid anyway - but it definitely puts other people off.

I am not sure if it's the same now but back when I was a lad ;) and in 6th form 16-18years old the club still counted me as a Junior and I was entitled to a Junior season ticket.

So I would have thought kids in this bracket would still pay Junior prices and like you say even if you did leave school at 16 you would still try and get in as a Junior.

P/T Indie

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:21 pm

I think loads more could be done to get the crowds up without losing money in revenue.

Kids for a quid is great (providing they are with their parents and not fooling around too much!). Probably the best atmosphere and biggest crowds of the season was for the Shrewsbury game. Lets have one every time we have two home games in a week?

Do we still do family tickets? They seemed like a good idea and we should offer them on the gate and to away fans too. Lots of promotions at schools would push these...

Youths. Most stop attending when they have to start paying full wack. £6 -£15 is a massive jump. Why not call under 21s a tenner or even less along with students?

Lancaster University students. Is there a direct bus on matchdays? All students are tight and as someone said, won't pay much to follow a second team. Promote and sell tickets for £5-6 through the Student's Union and we might be able to tempt a few to become regulars. This to me is a no-brainer as 99% of these students would not normally go to games and pay the usual rate.

The unemployed. Lets face it, lots of folk are struggling for work in the town, particularly those not too far from the ground in Westgate and the West End. Offer them a discount or maybe even free entry for a bit of help on matchdays?

Until we start getting 3-4000 every week I think we can forget about any new developments at the Globe. Lets just try and get the crowds up and fill what we already have!
Wild Bill

Postby essex_shrimp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:47 pm

wild bill i am 100% with you on that.

it is not like Morecambe are a mid table relegation battling league two.

teams like macclesfield are as a team.

Morecambe are without doubt a top12 team in league 2
essex_shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Lancaster University students. Is there a direct bus on matchdays?

No I live in South Lancaster :twisted: and if I wan't a beer at the game I either have to catch a bus or walk down to the bus station and then get on the 6A which only runs once an hour and then you have to do it all over again in reverse.

Bearing in mind a single from the Bust station to the Globe was £2.70 last time I did it (it's has prob gone up now) and a return is £4.70 for one of the day rider things as it's cheaper to get one of them then a return. It's a hell of a lot of messing about and expenses even for myself so to try and convince a student who has never been before to go to all that trouble will take some doing.

P/T Indie

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:12 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Bearing in mind a single from the Bust station to the Globe was £2.70 last time I did it (it's has prob gone up now) and a return is £4.70 for one of the day rider things as it's cheaper to get one of them then a return.

When me and Doris were up in September there was an offer on the bus on Saturdays for 5 bods return (travelling together!) for a £5 (anywhere between Common Garden Street and Heysham). Seem to remember there's a 6A from Lancaster Bus Station at about 1256. Gets to the Globe in 25 minutes, and so still another hour or so in the bar, and if your lucky you can enjoy MarkyNo.1's company.
Plain Peter

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Peter wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:Bearing in mind a single from the Bust station to the Globe was £2.70 last time I did it (it's has prob gone up now) and a return is £4.70 for one of the day rider things as it's cheaper to get one of them then a return.

When me and Doris were up in September there was an offer on the bus on Saturdays for 5 bods return (travelling together!) for a £5 (anywhere between Common Garden Street and Heysham). Seem to remember there's a 6A from Lancaster Bus Station at about 1256. Gets to the Globe in 25 minutes, and so still another hour or so in the bar, and if your lucky you can enjoy MarkyNo.1's company.

Which is ok if there is 5 of you not to good if it's just me on my own because my mates live in different areas.

P/T Indie

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:28 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Which is ok if there is 5 of you not to good if it's just me on my own because my mates live in different areas.

I thought this was a money saving exercise.
Five students living in Lancaster want to go to the match.
Meet at Lancaster Bus Station.
And the deal is up to 5 people, and the 5 don't have to be the same 5 who return to Lancaster.
What they've saved on the bus, and a concession to get into the ground, can go towards the good night out in Lancaster that you wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford!
I can't understand people who have an issue with the cost of things but can't be arsed to make the effort when there is a straightforward deal there :?
You want to try travelling round South East Asia on a fiver :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm

The season ticket for kids finishing year 6 stopped from the end of last season, definately.
I know of families who have since become season ticket holders through this.

The bus offer Peter mentions doesn't run out to Heysham, we tried to buy it from the Cross Cop area of Heysham (Morecambe end) and the driver said it was out of the offer area.

I know of working adults who ask and get entry as Juniors :x

As for students at Uni not being able to afford the entry price, go compare the difference in the bars in Lancaster between term and non-term time. You'll find term time MUCH busier.
morecambe mick

Postby outsider » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:45 pm

So we have the 16-21 year olds getting in cheeper.
Unemployed to get cheeper tickets.
Kids for a quid.

What about us that work for a living and try our best to get by?????

Just get screwd over again!

see my badge ;)
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Next

Return to General Discussion