Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 am

ockers wrote:lets hope we can get a replacement

Brown? Wainwright?
Little Shrimp

Re: Duffy Wanted By Scunthorpe!!

Postby Ntini » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:52 am

Why???

If we want immediate cover then we've got Shuker, Wainright and possibly Hendrie (who I believe used to play in that position). Chuck Garry Hunter and scott Brown into that mix as possible cover and, in my opinion, that would be money wasted. We've got people here on contracts, so why not use them?

I suggested on another thread that Tommy Fraser was now a free agent and not a bad acquisition as he is only 23 and has captained at this level. But I don't think it's needed as such (and he isn't really a winger). If we can get a decent amount (and I would put that from 70k-100k given the circumstances) then maybe we should invest in a few more up and coming non-league players. But I wouldn't be jumping for a 'replacement', not in the short-term anyway.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby ockers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 am

Ntini wrote:

Why???

If we want immediate cover then we've got Shuker, Wainright and possibly Hendrie (who I believe used to play in that position). Chuck Garry Hunter and scott Brown into that mix as possible cover and, in my opinion, that would be money wasted. We've got people here on contracts, so why not use them?

I suggested on another thread that Tommy Fraser was now a free agent and not a bad acquisition as he is only 23 and has captained at this level. But I don't think it's needed as such (and he isn't really a winger). If we can get a decent amount (and I would put that from 70k-100k given the circumstances) then maybe we should invest in a few more up and coming non-league players. But I wouldn't be jumping for a 'replacement', not in the short-term anyway.

thompson and duffy not only could get past people with such ease but they could cross the ball superbly well
im not so sure the three you mention can as much as i like them
ockers

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 am

ockers wrote:
Ntini wrote:

Why???

thompson and duffy not only could get past people with such ease but they could cross the ball superbly well

Wainwright was out best outfield player a couple of seasons ago cos he could be his man and whip in a great ball.
Little Shrimp

Postby Ntini » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:04 am

ockers wrote:
Ntini wrote:

Why???

I agree, Sean. Thommo and Duffy both had the ability to get past the full back and get a decent cross in, but there are other ways of operating as a winger. Shuker hasn't played to his ability when on the right wing, but he can cross the ball and myabe given a run of games down the right-hand side he could regain his form in that position. I just think when you have 5 people on contracts at the club who can play in a position (4 of which haven't started the last few games), then you need to stick with them until at least the end of the season where some might not get an extension if they are no longer up to football at this level.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby ockers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 pm

its a good point ntini and im sure one which sammy will probably have to use
hes done well after an iffy start has Duffy so good luck to him!!
ockers

Postby ezz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 pm

If we dont have wingers beating men, then you'd have to start mullin.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 pm

we've got plenty of quality in that position it's business as usual folks! 8-)
George Dawes

Postby Duffman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:56 pm

DawZi wrote:we've got plenty of quality in that position it's business as usual folks! 8-)

This season Duffy has provided 6 assists, the nearest player to that is Stanley who takes all free kicks and corners. In addition, Duffy's ability to win matches with his direct play (Torquay home) and his crossing (Bradford away) makes him a unique player. I really do feel people are underestimating his contribution massively.
Duffman

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Duffman wrote:
DawZi wrote:we've got plenty of quality in that position it's business as usual folks! 8-)

This season Duffy has provided 6 assists, the nearest player to that is Stanley who takes all free kicks and corners. In addition, Duffy's ability to win matches with his direct play (Torquay home) and his crossing (Bradford away) makes him a unique player. I really do feel people are underestimating his contribution massively.

am not underestimating his contribution, am just saying i have faith in Wainwright and Shuker but who on here can honestly say we've seen the best of Shuker yet. i think he's only played in his preferred position twice in the league

i just hope we can put the money to some good use and get a center forward with pace
George Dawes

Postby ockers » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Duffman wrote:

not me based on this seasons performances youre spot on
our last three pens all from fouls on duffy
hence my earlier post
ockers

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 pm

DawZi wrote:
Duffman wrote:

am not underestimating his contribution, am just saying i have faith in Wainwright and Shuker but who on here can honestly say we've seen the best of Shuker yet. i think he's only played in his preferred position twice in the league

i just hope we can put the money to some good use and get a center forward with pace

Your right there's a lot more to come from Chris Shuker he's taken a bit of time to fit in but we are starting to see more and more what he's all about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59aD1uwEHqY

Hopefull that we will still sign some-one before the end of the window.
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:Your right there's a lot more to come from Chris Shuker he's taken a bit of time to fit in but we are starting to see more and more what he's all about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59aD1uwEHqY

Errr.:
1. He lost the ball
2. He did'nt get the cross in :?

I agree Shuker has been doing well of late :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby scalehallshrimp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 pm

but for duffy on saturday we would have lost 1-0
scalehallshrimp

Postby marky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Wainwright? Please tell me you're having a laugh? Injury prone, past it and definitely not worth the 1 year contract extension he got last summer. Duffy will be a very hard player to replace and we will struggle without him.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby stevanshrimp » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:34 am

scalehallshrimp wrote:but for duffy on saturday we would have lost 1-0

...and a strong ref......and clumsy defenders!
I still believe!
stevanshrimp

Postby ezz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 am

What I dont get is Southport are about an hour away from us, yet they develop the local talent and we have to buy it from them. How come we dont snap up promising youngsters that drop out of acadamies like Liverpool and United?
Instead of having a decent scout who could snap them up for free, we end up 'risking' 50k instead.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 am

ezz wrote:What I dont get is Southport are about an hour away from us, yet they develop the local talent and we have to buy it from them. How come we dont snap up promising youngsters that drop out of acadamies like Liverpool and United?
Instead of having a decent scout who could snap them up for free, we end up 'risking' 50k instead.

id say it as something to do with being neighbours with Liverpool and as a city having plenty of facilities at grass root level and coaching
George Dawes

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 am

Good question.

My take on it is that we are now in a position whereby it is a risk to bring in untried, untested raw and inexperienced players and straight away and put them into the first team. Duffs and Baker have gone up the pyramid using roughly the same route. I believe a key reason why they have succeeded has been a career path that has allowed them to make small gradual improvements to their games. They have been allowed to do this by playing for teams and against opporsitions whereby the standard has gradually got better. A sort of 'Kaizen' philosophical approach.

Would they get that chance at a Morecambe club that can't afford to go down, coming straight out of an academy or Prescot Cables (Drench came straight form Blackburn Rovers, look where he is now)? Would they have been brought in, thrown into the deep end, failed, benched, confidence shot, sent out on loan to Barrow, failed, discarded, and now be playing for Morecambe Hoops (like Aaron Taylor)??? It is a fine line. Strikes that you need plenty of breaks at the right time to make it as a footballer. In terms of bringing on young players from elsewhere we've done quite well as a club, although I do agree that it is quite frustrating that we've not been able to produce a decent home grown'un recently.
RedRedWine1

Previous

Return to General Discussion