Duffy Wanted By Scunthorpe!!

Re: Duffy Wanted By Scunthorpe!!

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm

james456 wrote:I hope it's not a case of us having left contract negotiations too late. Giving him a good 2 year extension at the start of the season might have been quite a commitment/investment but surely would have been the obvious and sensible thing to do?

Having said that, if he has been playing the agents "holding out" game then not much we could have done and fair play if he goes this month to a bigger club.

In terms of value, we got 175k rising to 225k for Baker. If he were contracted for longer, I think Duffs would be realistically be worth just under that 175k figure. As it is, we may only get a "token payment" of only a fraction of that. :(

you having a laugh :?:

30 or 40 k max
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby james456 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
james456 wrote:I hope it's not a case of us having left contract negotiations too late. Giving him a good 2 year extension at the start of the season might have been quite a commitment/investment but surely would have been the obvious and sensible thing to do?

Having said that, if he has been playing the agents "holding out" game then not much we could have done and fair play if he goes this month to a bigger club.

In terms of value, we got 175k rising to 225k for Baker. If he were contracted for longer, I think Duffs would be realistically be worth just under that 175k figure. As it is, we may only get a "token payment" of only a fraction of that. :(

you having a laugh :?:

30 or 40 k max

You think 1 Carl Baker is worth 5 Mark Duffy's?
james456

Postby Freez » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 pm

I could be completely wrong here, and feel free to contradict me if you know better, but didnt we pay an undisclosed but generally rumoured 50K for Duffs?
That was for an unproven at League level Conf North winger.

Surely we should recoup more than we paid as he has proved with full time coaching and training he is a very decent footballer, at least in League Two?
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I can see it been like when Perks left for an undisclosed fee and probably get nowhere near what we should.

If his contract is up then we will be glad to get anything while we can so I am guessing it will be about 50k.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Harry » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 pm

In my opinion, if he does go, I reckon we'll get about £100k, considering we paid Southport £50k (unsubstantiated rumour) and got £175k for Baker.

The thing that really gets me is that if it was a southern transaction, for example MK Dons buying a player from Barnet, it's be £300k-£500k.

I hope if the deal goes through, we make the most of the money and use it to buy a decent striker with Shuker on the wing.
Harry

Postby parkyboy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Hope he doesnt go but would probably get about £120,000 for him
parkyboy

Postby The Fury » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I can see it been like when Perks left for an undisclosed fee and probably get nowhere near what we should.

Aye, that one still riles me and it's seldom commented on by anyone. Sammy didn't seem to like Perks, dropped him, so he handed in a transfer request, and then we sold him at the first opportunity for a "nominal amount" to Rochdale, who cashed in £300k on him to Colchester. It staggers me there was no attempt to negotiate a sell-on fee for a player who had risen through our youth system, established himself, and there was interest from a Football League club whilst we were, at the time, Non-League.

It is a strange state of play that last season Neil Wainwright, a player who had been on the periphery of the team and has, with respect to him, got no chance of playing unless there are injuries this year, was given a further 1 year extension whilst, seemingly (and I say seemingly because we don't know), negotiations weren't entered into with Duffy about extending his stay after we had spent a transfer fee on him. Almost as daft as refusing to give Thommo a two year deal yet giving one to Blinkhorn when we were promoted.
The Fury

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 pm

this is all speculation, every aspect about every player, duffy will move up the food chain as will rochey and wilson coz big fish eat the little ones..fact of life.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 am

Gutted at hearing this news really hope he stays. If he went it would be a massive blow and theres no doubt about it that we would have to bring in a replacement. :cry: :cry: :cry:
heysham_mfc

Postby ockers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 am

really hope he stays
watched fleetwood last night
a little gem in sean clancy worth watching................
Last edited by ockers on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ockers

Postby Ntini » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:47 am

I'm afraid this season is the end of the road for Duffy as a Morecambe player. I can't believe that people think he will sign a new contract and stay. A Championship club has openly said that they want to sign him.

Duffy's out of contract at the end of the season. Therefore this can only go two ways as I see it:

1. We sell him now and actually get some money to spend on transfers
2. His contract runs out and he moves on at the end of the season as a free agent

I know we would like a big fee for an undoubtedly talented player, but we have to be realistic and sensible in taking the money now and using it wisely.

Thank you, Duffs, for your hard work, and the best of luck in the Championship!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 am

Ntini wrote:I'm afraid this season is the end of the road for Duffy as a Morecambe player. I can't believe that people think he will sign a new contract and stay. A Championship club has openly said that they want to sign him.Duffy's out of contract at the end of the season. Therefore this can only go two ways as I see it:

1. We sell him now and actually get some money to spend on transfers
2. His contract runs out and he moves on at the end of the season as a free agent

I know we would like a big fee for an undoubtedly talented player, but we have to be realistic and sensible in taking the money now and using it wisely.

Thank you, Duffs, for your hard work, and the best of luck in the Championship!

Sad...but true!

I'm sure that our Board will do what is right for our club, first and foremost. However whatever fee may be involved, it's highly likely that we will come out of this financially poorer because of the initail fee we had to pay PLUS whatever 'sell on' clause we have with Southport. If, for example we got £100,000 for him, the initial £50K rumoured fee plus say 10% of any future transfer over and above the original fee would result in Southport getting an additional £5K leaving us with a profit of only £45K, not a fair return on his wages and inital signing on fee by any means.It's inevitable that he will go; be it now or in the summer. Let's just hope that our manager will be given the funds to unearth yet another player in the lower leagues who can be brought on-board to start the whole merry go round again.

Maybe the lad from Matlock or even Marine could be worth looking at as has been mentioned on SVs numerous times before. Unfortunately |Ican't see Clancy at Fleetwood coming as his wages may be a stumbling block let alone the transfer fee.

Ian Craney has said he wants to return to Accy but his wages at Fleetwood are far above those he would get at Stanley and therefore any move is highly unlikely, which suggests that Fleetwood are paying extremely good wages at their level.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Pobble » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:23 am

Christies Child wrote:
Posh wrote:Gutted if he goes. He really has looked the part this year and when he's on fire he's great to watch. Sorry to say but after many years when we used to hold on to talented players, this looks like being yet another young player who has up, left and abandoned Sammy and the club at the first possible opportunity (admittedly with mixed results) - Danny Carlton, Thommo, Jesus, Carl Baker, Perks and Adam Yates- none of them hung around. At that rate if we hold on to Lawrence it'll be a miracle.

But why does it always happen to us and rarely to others?

Is it possibly down to more personality issues within the management structure?

Why won`t you all listen, it comes down to the total waste of space in charge.
Pobble

Postby Pobble » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am

Morecambe Jack wrote:What can we blame on Sammy next? :roll:

EVERYTHING. AND FULLY JUSTIFIED.
Pobble

Postby keepthefaith » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:53 am

Yes Pobble, the same management team that has developed any player we have had with a tiny spark of talent, into players good enough to ply their trade much higher up the leagues.
I am sure Thompson, Baker and Duffy (if he goes) will be eternally grateful for the work that SM and ML have put into improving their game. Not to mention players like Lewis and McGivern who were given chances here and are now playing for teams much higher than us.
I am sure, that ultimately Sammy isn't the one who calls the shots on player contract negotiations, or financial terms. So I don't think even he can be blamed for this one as much as certain people would like to - seeing as complaining about results isn't feasible at the moment.
What is it my mum used to say, if you don't have anything worth saying, then don't say it at all. A phrase that would be well suited to Dribble, sorry my bad, Pobble. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this witch hunt is becoming a little boring now. Are you sure you aren't Jim Harvey????? :roll:
keepthefaith

Postby ezz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:27 am

Did Duffy not re-sign with southport so they'd get a decent transfer fee?
Step up Rundle and Shuker.
If we get less than 120k for duffy then our board arn't as wiley as I thought they were.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 am

ezz wrote:Did Duffy not re-sign with southport so they'd get a decent transfer fee?
Step up Rundle and Shuker.
If we get less than 120k for duffy then our board arn't as wiley as I thought they were.

I seem to recall that Baker did, but didn't we take Duffy on loan with a view to a permanent transfer and in the process reduce Southport's wage bill? Don't think Duffy signed a new contract with Southport as a result of the agreement betwen the two clubs.

Could be wrong of course.....again! :roll:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:09 pm

We did get Duffy on loan originally, yes.

Weren't we under transfer embargo at the time ? Think we were.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby George Dawes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:We did get Duffy on loan originally, yes.

Weren't we under transfer embargo at the time ? Think we were.

that rings a bell? yeah i think we got hm on loan towards the end of the season then signed him in the summer not sure it went to a tribunal and we paid a rumoured £50.000
George Dawes

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Here we go. Confirmation of the signing of Duffy from Southport originally on loan ....

http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/south ... -22988417/

:ugeek:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby nobbyshrimp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 pm

£20,000 + add ons (i presume money to Southport if we sell on)
nobbyshrimp

Postby shrimpinho » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Pobble wrote:
Christies Child wrote:
Posh wrote:Gutted if he goes. He really has looked the part this year and when he's on fire he's great to watch. Sorry to say but after many years when we used to hold on to talented players, this looks like being yet another young player who has up, left and abandoned Sammy and the club at the first possible opportunity (admittedly with mixed results) - Danny Carlton, Thommo, Jesus, Carl Baker, Perks and Adam Yates- none of them hung around. At that rate if we hold on to Lawrence it'll be a miracle.

But why does it always happen to us and rarely to others?

Is it possibly down to more personality issues within the management structure?

Why won`t you all listen, it comes down to the total waste of space in charge.

can someone just remove this guy
shrimpinho

Postby nobbyshrimp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:58 pm

http://www.morecambefc.com/page/NewsDet ... 32,00.html
Sammy saw his talent as did Southport (hence add ons) and he was always going to leave us, same as Carl Baker and i think eventually Flemming too.
nobbyshrimp

Postby ezz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:08 pm

To be honest it's job done, buy a promising player and sell him for more, providing we get at least 120k.
With that money we can invest in at least 3 potential players
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:13 pm

nobbyshrimp wrote:http://www.morecambefc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10866~1652932,00.html
Sammy saw his talent as did Southport (hence add ons) and he was always going to leave us, same as Carl Baker and i think eventually Flemming too.

I think you, and a few others are mssing the point somewhat that most people are making. Its not that we don't think Duffy will eventually leave (everybody realises this)....it's just that by hook or by crook we are going to screwed over this deal because his contract is going to expire in the summer (unlike Carl Baker). I think for a player of Duffs quality we could realistically expect to recieve £150k+ for a transfer fee. Given the circumstances I bet we don't get half of that.
RedRedWine1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion