Duffy Wanted By Scunthorpe!!

Re: Duffy Wanted By Scunthorpe!!

Postby bentomlinsonMFC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 pm

DawZi wrote:if we can get a good price for him and then spend that one a pacey striker you could justify it seeing he is out of contract in the summer anyway and no saying we could keep him

i have every faith in Shuker to come in on the right wing to do a job a a cross quality balls across that goal mouth after all he as played there all his career

Yeah i agree get him sold while we can get a decent amount of cash then but a goalscoring striker and a tricky winger 8-)
bentomlinsonMFC

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:54 pm

essex_shrimp wrote:Why i never take drugs i never touched them never.

just y is not duffy not worth 500k-700k he tears teams part in league2 this and last season simple :D :D :D :D :D

Hull City recently signed Leicester striker Matty Fryatt for £1.2m, rising to a possible £1.6m and he has 18mths left on his contract and is a proven goal scorer at that level. Why would Duffy be worth that much with 5mths left on his contract and 'a gamble' at that level?
nobbyshrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Hope he stays but think we would be lucky to get 100K for him if he is out of contract in the summer...
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 pm

We'll do a straight swap for Thommo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or even a loan of each player until the end of the season.

Step forward young Hendrie......

Was a speedy winger at his former club. Why not :?: :?: :?:

What I find difficult to understand why does this always seem to happen to us. Is it because we don't start to negotiate new contracts until late in the season by which time agents have got their charges all geared up for a move? Or are we seen as a too easy target by so called bigger clubs who still view us as non league and therefore open to such raids?

Very worrying!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:32 pm

good luck to duffs if he does go....always nice to see a player go to a higher level and try and better himself its certainly worked for baker and thommo just to name a couple....
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Players who think they are on the up and who, perhaps, are being told by agents that bigger clubs are interested will be difficult to tie down for clubs like us. They know they can stall on a contract, wait to see if any really good offers come in and if they do, they're off. If not, then they know their current clubs will offer them an improved deal.

Not a great deal the club can do about that.

As for a fee - I have no idea but in the circumstances I'd be surprised if we've done much more than, say, make a 100% profit. The only real bargaining power we may have had in any negotiation with Scunny would be interest and competition for his signature from other clubs.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Fair play to Duffs, you can't stand in the way of players that want to play at a higher level and earn the coins that go with it.....especially when the management saw fit to drop him from the team not that long ago (unbelieveable Jeff!!!). It would, however, be nice if the club were fairly compensated for the loss of a player who has come on leaps and bounds since his arrival from Scouseport. I can't see it happening though.

Without knowing the full goings on you can't help but think that the club have dilly-dallied around with this. He should have been put on a new deal at the start of the season. I can understand the clubs apprehension of putting players on long-term deals, given the board has had to pay up deals for quite a few lengthy contracts that haven't worked out. In Duffys case we've actually invested a decent amount of money into him in paying a transfer fee and bringing him on over the last two years. How nauseating then that the club could potentially not even recoup that outlay.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:39 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Fair play to Duffs, you can't stand in the way of players that want to play at a higher level and earn the coins that go with it.....especially when the management saw fit to drop him from the team not that long ago (unbelieveable Jeff!!!). It would, however, be nice if the club were fairly compensated for the loss of a player who has come on leaps and bounds since his arrival from Scouseport. I can't see it happening though.

Without knowing the full goings on you can't help but think that the club have dilly-dallied around with this. He should have been put on a new deal at the start of the season. I can understand the clubs apprehension of putting players on long-term deals, given the board has had to pay up deals for quite a few lengthy contracts that haven't worked out. In Duffys case we've actually invested a decent amount of money into him in paying a transfer fee and bringing him on over the last two years. How nauseating then that the club could potentially not even recoup that outlay.

I agree. If we've not tried to tie up players like Duffs on longer term contracts early enough, then I think that's a mistake. I don't know if we did, though. We may have done and he may have chosen to wait and see what else transpired.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby broadwayshrimp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:44 pm

RedRedWine wrote:especially when the management saw fit to drop him from the team not that long ago

Hmmm. Any chance that this was to take him off the radar of interested clubs trying to sign him?
broadwayshrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:56 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:especially when the management saw fit to drop him from the team not that long ago

Hmmm. Any chance that this was to take him off the radar of interested clubs trying to sign him?

Sammy switched to 5-3-2 with three centre midfield players and two fullbacks which left no space in the starting line-up for Duffs. I highly doubt that it was anything other than tactical, and to be fair it worked against Port Vale....but failed badly against the Dingles.
RedRedWine1

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Gutted if he goes. He really has looked the part this year and when he's on fire he's great to watch. Sorry to say but after many years when we used to hold on to talented players, this looks like being yet another young player who has up, left and abandoned Sammy and the club at the first possible opportunity (admittedly with mixed results) - Danny Carlton, Thommo, Jesus, Carl Baker, Perks and Adam Yates- none of them hung around. At that rate if we hold on to Lawrence it'll be a miracle.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Posh wrote:Gutted if he goes. He really has looked the part this year and when he's on fire he's great to watch. Sorry to say but after many years when we used to hold on to talented players, this looks like being yet another young player who has up, left and abandoned Sammy and the club at the first possible opportunity (admittedly with mixed results) - Danny Carlton, Thommo, Jesus, Carl Baker, Perks and Adam Yates- none of them hung around. At that rate if we hold on to Lawrence it'll be a miracle.

me too if he goes.......

ill take that with another dig at sm :?:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Posh wrote:Gutted if he goes. He really has looked the part this year and when he's on fire he's great to watch. Sorry to say but after many years when we used to hold on to talented players, this looks like being yet another young player who has up, left and abandoned Sammy and the club at the first possible opportunity (admittedly with mixed results) - Danny Carlton, Thommo, Jesus, Carl Baker, Perks and Adam Yates- none of them hung around. At that rate if we hold on to Lawrence it'll be a miracle.

But why does it always happen to us and rarely to others?

Is it possibly down to more personality issues within the management structure?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby broadwayshrimp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

To be fair all of those players with the exception of Yatesy were moving on to bigger and better things. You can't really expect them to hang around.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:13 pm

I like to think of it as being our management structure converting good players into quality players CC.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:

Errr...OK...yes. We don't seem to able to keep them and we often lose out on them - Evans to Bradford; Sharpes to Shrewsbury; a couple of Irish lads choosing to stay at home etc. Of course we're going to lose out on players to perceived bigger clubs or those with better wages but bad luck seems to have lost its statistical validity. As for those leaving - good luck to them but the powers of persuasion seem only to have worked on Barry Roache.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby broadwayshrimp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Posh wrote:As for those leaving - good luck to them but the powers of persuasion seem only to have worked on Barry Roache.

For now.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Look at Scunthorpe's recent results; lost 7 in their last 8 games
Us ; Won 4 out of 5 games and a 3 game winning run!
Little Shrimp

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:23 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:

To be fair all of those players with the exception of Yatesy were moving on to bigger and better things. You can't really expect them to hang around.

Fair cop guvnor.

My diss is gruntled though and it's making me lash out. As soon as we see Duffs get half a decent season under his belt he's off. Not happy.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Sammy h » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Look at Scunthorpe's recent results; lost 7 in their last 8 games
Us ; Won 4 out of 5 games and a 3 game winning run!

Sometimes it isn't about winning, sometimes not even playing.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Sammy h

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm

wages are generally key in most players moving, as in any job, i do not imagine all the players at any one club all like their boss, like any work place, if the wages are better you stick at it.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Posh wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:

Errr...OK...yes. We don't seem to able to keep them and we often lose out on them - Evans to Bradford; Sharpes to Shrewsbury; a couple of Irish lads choosing to stay at home etc. Of course we're going to lose out on players to perceived bigger clubs or those with better wages but bad luck seems to have lost its statistical validity. As for those leaving - good luck to them but the powers of persuasion seem only to have worked on Barry Roache.[/quote

Barry Roache signed for mfc after the embarrasing defeat to dag which was shown on the media.
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby seasonsinthesun » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 pm

People I know that do not really follow Morecambe have said to me many times:
"Have you still got that crap keeper that let in 6 on Sky last season?"
The power of television :roll:
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Morecambe Jack » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:03 pm

What can we blame on Sammy next? :roll:
Morecambe Jack

Postby james456 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I hope it's not a case of us having left contract negotiations too late. Giving him a good 2 year extension at the start of the season might have been quite a commitment/investment but surely would have been the obvious and sensible thing to do?

Having said that, if he has been playing the agents "holding out" game then not much we could have done and fair play if he goes this month to a bigger club.

In terms of value, we got 175k rising to 225k for Baker. If he were contracted for longer, I think Duffs would be realistically be worth just under that 175k figure. As it is, we may only get a "token payment" of only a fraction of that. :(
james456

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion