subs or lateness of them.

Re: subs or lateness of them.

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:59 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:Moaning after 3 wins on the bounce? No need.

Sounds to me like some kids must have made some substitutions on Champ Manager and won the game 3-0 so now think that they're better managers than Sammy. Get a grip.

Why does everyone seem to think all the negativity is coming from 'kids'

I am 99% sure Neil Saban is not a kid! What has champ manager got to do with it, you would be moaning if we hadn't have got those last two penalties as the substitutions were far far too late!
Sammy h

Postby N Saban » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Wish I was a kid! I am late 20's and have been watching morecambe since I was 5 so i have seen the NPL, Conference and League football, I saw Christie develop and the Globe. I have to say I don't think that my comments are based on anything other than watching the game and I believe that if the club and manager want positve reactions from the fans they have to give us something to shout about occasionally and not relying on the fans always to lead the way. we need to play attcking positive football at home because that is where our reputaion is built. I don't think the lack of the north stand at the globe is helping and if sammy sets out to win every game from minute 1 to 90 i wil be behind him. the league has made the club forget our roots and if we truely want to succed we need to re-discover what made us one of the most popular non-league clubs in the country, youth development, skill, passion and a real sense that the fans and the board are one all pulling in the same direction! Communication between all parts of the club is the key to success.
N Saban

Postby Posh » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:15 pm

ockers wrote:Neil
take a deep breath and repeat after me
Sammy knows whats hes doing he really does and you shouldnt still be questioning it either.
are you applauding him for bringing in young players like parrish duffy and wilson to the club????

Sean. I think you're a good bloke who does loads for the club. However that is incredibly condescending and patronising to a supporter whose views are only as valid as you're own.

I beg to differ with a lot of what you say. Sammy's tactics and team selections are an utter shambles. As a former player says he does it on guesswork until he hits a formula. That's been pretty obvious at the start of the last three seasons. As for bringing in players he never saw Wilson play, except in opposition, and was recommended by a fan. I understand Andy Parrish wasn't watched either but whereas with Lawrence I don't know it for certain.

You've got a right to your strongly held views Sean but being patronising - 'read after me' - will only get people's backs up and do you and your arguments no favours at all.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Posh wrote:
ockers wrote:Neil
take a deep breath and repeat after me
Sammy knows whats hes doing he really does and you shouldnt still be questioning it either.
are you applauding him for bringing in young players like parrish duffy and wilson to the club????

Sean. I think you're a good bloke who does loads for the club. However that is incredibly condescending and patronising to a supporter whose views are only as valid as you're own.

I beg to differ with a lot of what you say. Sammy's tactics and team selections are an utter shambles. As a former player says he does it on guesswork until he hits a formula. That's been pretty obvious at the start of the last three seasons. As for bringing in players he never saw Wilson play, except in opposition, and was recommended by a fan. I understand Andy Parrish wasn't watched either but whereas with Lawrence I don't know it for certain.

You've got a right to your strongly held views Sean but being patronising - 'read after me' - will only get people's backs up and do you and your arguments no favours at all.

To be fair though, the two signings you mention are probably two of his best :lol: :lol:

I agree what you say about Ockers though, far far too defensive and always jumping down peoples throats, I understand you do a lot of work for the club, but it is someone's opinion which they have a right to have.
Sammy h

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 pm

N Saban wrote:Wish I was a kid! I am late 20's and have been watching morecambe since I was 5 so i have seen the NPL, Conference and League football, I saw Christie develop and the Globe. I have to say I don't think that my comments are based on anything other than watching the game and I believe that if the club and manager want positve reactions from the fans they have to give us something to shout about occasionally and not relying on the fans always to lead the way. we need to play attcking positive football at home because that is where our reputaion is built. I don't think the lack of the north stand at the globe is helping and if sammy sets out to win every game from minute 1 to 90 i wil be behind him. the league has made the club forget our roots and if we truely want to succed we need to re-discover what made us one of the most popular non-league clubs in the country, youth development, skill, passion and a real sense that the fans and the board are one all pulling in the same direction! Communication between all parts of the club is the key to success.

What a great post especially the last bit.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Morectalk » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:36 pm

[quote="mrpotatohead"]penalties or not we were losing today and being outplayed in front of a very small crowd till the last five minutes glad we won, but 1641 attendance is a bit of a shamefull turnout from the town, where are the folk that look on here but do not attend the matches :?:

1. Crap weather
2. People are skint after the festive season
3. People have seen too many rubbish displays at the Globe
4. Did I mention the crap weather
Morectalk

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Morectalk wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:penalties or not we were losing today and being outplayed in front of a very small crowd till the last five minutes glad we won, but 1641 attendance is a bit of a shamefull turnout from the town, where are the folk that look on here but do not attend the matches :?:

1. Crap weather
2. People are skint after the festive season
3. People have seen too many rubbish displays at the Globe
4. Did I mention the crap weather

Still a poor turn out after back to back wins.
heysham_mfc

Postby keepthefaith » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Am I missing the point here? I thought the game was 90 minutes long, plus extra time? Surely that means you have 90 minutes plus ET to make subs and 90 minutes plus ET to score and therefore win? In previous seasons, had we gone on to win so late in the game (as we did vs Crewe and Peterborough to name but a couple and I AM SURE Sammy made very late substitutions in those games) he was hailed a hero? Yet same happens this season and he is being slagged off?? Explain that one to me?
I think Sammy went with the right team yesterday, and anyone who says we were played off the park may need to borrow my glasses. I think he was right to start Mullin, he had an alright game but we looked steady. Hendrie showed in ten minutes why he isn't a first team starter - too lightweight, doesn't win anything in the air and cannot hold the ball up or create any space to get away from his defender.
As for the attendances, it is January, everyone is skint, and the weather was horrendous. If we can't get people in after 3 wins in the last 4 then are we ever going to?? (bar the bandwagon jumpers when we go on our playoff charge ;) )
keepthefaith

Postby MfcChris » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Pandashrimp wrote:
N Saban wrote: It's just annoying watching a game drift by with no sense of urgency to win , until that is we fall behind it is a regular pattern in most of the games we play!

For me that is the danger of today. Dont get me wrong, good win, 3 on the bounce all good etc. However, as he said against Accy,too many home games this year have had draw written all over em. BE PROACTIVE Sammy, dont react when its too late. Today, fair play, good selection, good tactics, however Fleming...and maybe Hendrie should have been on to make the difference BEFORE we went behind. I wasn't there today, someone tell me diifferently but i get the feeling we got lucky!?

I think 70 minutes is a good time to make attacking subs. Over three quarters of the game has been played and it is clear if you are struggling or need some fresh legs. Even a like for like swap can be beneficial you don't have to change tactics.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby BHmfc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 pm

I think it speaks volumes when the man of the match is your goalkeeper. I've been watching Morecambe for over 4 decades now and have always said it as i see it, yesterday in the second half, Torquay were pretty much in control and always looked dangerous.Roche made several great saves before they scored and it was just a matter of time before they took the lead. All the people standing around me were calling for changes, not after they scored, but a good 15 minutes before they did. If all these fans, and myself included, could see that changes were required, than why did SMc not see the same. In the end we got a great result, but in all honesty not a great performance. Regarding Mullin, in the last 3 games when he was on the pitch we have conceded 2 goals and scored none, during the last 3 games when he was off the pitch we have scored 7.
BHmfc

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:36 pm

keepthefaith wrote:Am I missing the point here? I thought the game was 90 minutes long, plus extra time? Surely that means you have 90 minutes plus ET to make subs and 90 minutes plus ET to score and therefore win? In previous seasons, had we gone on to win so late in the game (as we did vs Crewe and Peterborough to name but a couple and I AM SURE Sammy made very late substitutions in those games) he was hailed a hero? Yet same happens this season and he is being slagged off?? Explain that one to me?
I think Sammy went with the right team yesterday, and anyone who says we were played off the park may need to borrow my glasses. I think he was right to start Mullin, he had an alright game but we looked steady. Hendrie showed in ten minutes why he isn't a first team starter - too lightweight, doesn't win anything in the air and cannot hold the ball up or create any space to get away from his defender.
As for the attendances, it is January, everyone is skint, and the weather was horrendous. If we can't get people in after 3 wins in the last 4 then are we ever going to?? (bar the bandwagon jumpers when we go on our playoff charge ;) )

Did you notice Mullin won nothing in 82 minutes. We just hoofed it up, and Mullin couldn't compete with their massive defenders! We play Hendrie and split them apart to win two penalties.
Little Shrimp

Postby parceldave » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:51 pm

[quote="keepthefaith"]Am I missing the point here? I thought the game was 90 minutes long, plus extra time? Surely that means you have 90 minutes plus ET to make subs and 90 minutes plus ET to score and therefore win? In previous seasons, had we gone on to win so late in the game (as we did vs Crewe and Peterborough to name but a couple and I AM SURE Sammy made very late substitutions in those games) he was hailed a hero? Yet same happens this season and he is being slagged off?? Explain that one to me?
As for the attendances, it is January, everyone is skint, and the weather was horrendous. If we can't get people in after 3 wins in the last 4 then are we ever going to?? (bar the bandwagon jumpers when we go on our playoff charge ;) )[/quote

Did you wear your glasses yesterday, kinell why do you think Roachy was M.o.M , because Torquay were given far too much space to play the ball on the DECK and shoot at will. Why the hell do you think we got the penalties in the last couple of minutes, because we took off a non effective striker and brought on two players who passed the ball accurately and brought Duffy into the game . Hendrie didn't need to win anything in the air because the ball was played to his feet , he then turned the defender and passed the ball on the deck to a Wilson or Shuker. YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPECSAVERS. ;)
parceldave

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:29 pm

keepthefaith wrote:Am I missing the point here? I thought the game was 90 minutes long, plus extra time? Surely that means you have 90 minutes plus ET to make subs and 90 minutes plus ET to score and therefore win? In previous seasons, had we gone on to win so late in the game (as we did vs Crewe and Peterborough to name but a couple and I AM SURE Sammy made very late substitutions in those games) he was hailed a hero? Yet same happens this season and he is being slagged off?? Explain that one to me?

Have you taken something? Hendrie was involved in both the build ups to the penalties and did more than what Mullin did in 82 minutes.

I thought he looked good.
Sammy h

Postby MfcChris » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Run in to the box and you get the chance of getting a penalty. You can't get a penalty if you are not in the box 8-) Simples.
Far too many times a player sits on the edge of the box with the ball looking for a pass or longish shot. RUN IN THE BOX, the defender can either hold off or foul you, and if you do get tackled fairly fair play.

But of course that results in the fans moaning saying why didn't he shoot.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby The Fury » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:04 pm

keepthefaith wrote: Hendrie showed in ten minutes why he isn't a first team starter - too lightweight, doesn't win anything in the air and cannot hold the ball up or create any space to get away from his defender.

Absolute nonsense. Hendrie showed in ten minutes exactly why he deserves the chance to prove himself, instead of becoming this season's Jon Newby/ Diarmuid O'Carroll/Aaron Taylor/other miscellaneous striker who Sammy refuses to give an opportunity to.

Both moves which resulted in penalties were started by Hendrie who produced a couple of decent touches, ran into channels and played a decent forward ball. He then followed this up with charging into the box giving Duffy options both times.
The Fury

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 pm

The Fury wrote:
keepthefaith wrote: Hendrie showed in ten minutes why he isn't a first team starter - too lightweight, doesn't win anything in the air and cannot hold the ball up or create any space to get away from his defender.

Absolute nonsense. Hendrie showed in ten minutes exactly why he deserves the chance to prove himself, instead of becoming this season's Jon Newby/ Diarmuid O'Carroll/Aaron Taylor/other miscellaneous striker who Sammy refuses to give an opportunity to.

Both moves which resulted in penalties were started by Hendrie who produced a couple of decent touches, ran into channels and played a decent forward ball. He then followed this up with charging into the box giving Duffy options both times.

Newby yes, O'Carroll yes but Taylor was truly the most awful player I've ever seen play!
Little Shrimp

Postby ockers » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:17 pm

and your entitled to your opinion Mike but please dont patronise me either thats how its coming across

on this occasion I think youre butting in where you dont really need to

Ive known Neil a long time and travelled many times with Neil, his sister catherine shared lots of discussions drinks and with his dad Derek too so I think youve jumped in too early to be honest...I know how passionate Neil is

for the record if youre going to slam Sammy and his buys
Andy Parrish was watched at Bury...FACT
Andy Parrish played against us for Bury at Christie Park January 2008...FACT
I dont know about Laurence and neither care save fo rth efact hes a morecambe player

you seem to have it in for Sammy like many others on here and I'm struggling to see why

and please if youre going to stir up trouble by mentioning a former player then quote who he is so people can make judgements for themselves
ockers

Postby Posh » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Sean behave yourself. You haven't made one single point about why Sammy deserves the ardent love affair you clearly have with him, particularly on the basis of this season's performances. Instead you tell Neil on a public messageboard on an open thread to basically forget his views and repeat that he doesn't know what he's talking about, Sammy's a great manager. No justification bar an argument you can't back up. As for me patronising you, I wasn't. This is me patronising you, go get a dictionary and look up patronising.

The simple truth is that we've invested a huge amount in new players for the third season in a row and for the third season in a row it's taken at least three months to get the side into some sort of shape. Other managers buy players based on building a team that fits together by going out and watching them. Sammy buys his, bar a few, out of the agent's catalogues and prays they fit. As I said that is also the view of a former player and I'll tell you personally who it is.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm

As I said that is also the view of a former player and I'll tell you personally who it is.

I too would like that information about a former player???????????
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 pm

This is me patronising you. You've spelt Balamory wrong, there's only one 'L'. :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby N Saban » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Sean and Posh I've known you both a long time and everyone is entitled to their view so there is never any need to get personal. My comments are as always aimed at improving and helping the club. Everyone has the clubs best interest at heart and i feel my viewpoint is vindicated by the debate this thread has led to. I don't like negative football and maybe thats because i grew up on coleman and mccluskie, norman and jacko and cainny and monkey!!! attack was always the way under griffiths and harvey and the club was always first even down to fans painting barriers in pre-season and digging trenches for pitch improvements etc. That unfortunately is not the case now the globe being case in point. sammy is negative in his approach i don't think that can be doubted it doesn't make good football and that combined with his fan abuse doesn't inspire people to watch! Morecambe is my life the club is my second home but we need to get it sorted before we lose everything that was epitimised in christie park and the joy that the footy use to bring!
N Saban

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:22 pm

sammy has lead us to free grate wins and yew are all arguing.noooooooooooooooooo :?: :?:

sammy rules K.O
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby marky » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:25 pm

On the subject of negative football, one only need look the way of Aldershot. Kevin Dillon basically set his teams out to not concede and hopefully grind out odd goal wins (and relied heavily on the Morgans for this). All well and good when you are picking up the results and getting your team into the playoffs, but that style of play doesn't really endeer you to fans and as soon as the results stop going in your favour, they are often quick to turn against you. Dillon got sacked and I don't think there were too many Shots supporters in mourning. Whenever he is asked a question on this subject, Sammy always says we try to win every game but the reports you read and the opinions put forward often tell a different story. Why is that?

Of course, this is purely in the interest of debate. In the last 5 matches we've ground out a win against Port Vale (who have incidentally entered a period of poor form), performed terribly against Accrington, just about beaten probably the worst side in the league, caught Shrewsbury on an off day (albeit whilst playing well) and got very lucky against Torquay. One argument is that the 4 wins and 12 points is all that matters and as far as the table goes that is correct. But there are wider questions to be asked of the management which is where I suspect most fans in this thread seem to be coming from.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 pm

It's generally Sammy's forthright views that piss me off, I wish he'd start punching players like that Stevenage fan. :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby jonnythedog » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:36 pm

It is worth pointing out that maybe the reason that Hendrie looked so good in that 10mins or so was because of the time he was brought on (apologies if someone has already mentioned this). I know from playing sport myself that the legs really start to go in the last 5-10mins depending on the conditions (often earlier in my case). You can keep running but it's the twisting and turning that really becomes difficult and having someone who is nippy coming on and lining up against you is the last thing you want. Had he been on from the start i wonder would have been so effective against fresher defenders, we'll never know. During January and February we have loads of games and I'm sure that he'll get more chances to show us what he can do, let's all hope he makes the most of it.

I was getting anxious from about 60 mins in yesterday and was starting to look to the bench for signs of activity. I felt that Torquay were had been soaking up our attacks and hitting us very effectively on the break and in the second half they were starting to control the game. At that point i thought that Duffy, Drummond and Stanners had been very indifferent, Duffy was getting worse as the game went on and was even starting to look disinterested. At that point I wanted Fleming on for Drummond as I felt that we needed Fleming's energy to get us going again, fair enough. However, I also wanted Wainwright on for Duffy and had even proclaimed it confidently it to the missus and the gentleman sat next to us, needless to say that at the final whistle one was feeling a little sheepish regarding his tactical expertise. :lol:

Anyhow we got the win yesterday. Remember, you don't need tactics when you're in bed with lady luck, so lets just hope that Sammy doesn't go and ruin it for all of us by farting.
jonnythedog

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion