Performance

Performance

Postby ezz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:46 pm

It's always a good sign when your on a bit of form when you winning after playing poorly. (united have done it all season).
Today we wern't great, back four did well, shuker wilson and duffy had plenty of creation but every came to nothing in the end.
How Sammy couldn't see Drummond was having a stinker i'll never know, from the very first minute!! Mullin puts himself about but to no real end product really, as soon as Hendrie came on, they were on the back foot and bang 2 penalties. Hendrie or spencer to start next game if possible please!
Left the subs late again today Samy but we got away with it ;)
Most important thing is 3 points in the bag
Get over it ;)
ezz

Re: Performance

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:51 pm

I agree with everything you have said there :)

Torquay fans seem to think Duffy dived for the second penalty, from where i was stood it looked like he completley took his legs out. Anyone know?
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Morectalk » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Three points is all that counts today - who cares about the performance etc.
Morectalk

Postby ezz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Morectalk wrote:Three points is all that counts today - who cares about the performance etc.

You don't say that when we lose do you........
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby james456 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Think how many times over the last couple of seasons we have played well but got nothing from a game. It's only right that we get a bit of luck now and again.

Having said that, I thought our first half performance was good and the quality of our football was better than Torquay's who had pace but not much else.
james456

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Today just proved that we play better, and create much more when Mullin is not on the pitch, I was an admirer of his and Jevons partnership last season but we've now got 2 hungry youngsters who are both better on the ball from what I've seen, and means we aren't punting the ball upfront all the time.

First half we performed well, Duffy & Shuker linking up really well.. AGAIN. Second half it was too predictable and Torquay took there chance, substitutes gave us something different and we benefited from that, COME ONNN!
Crooky MFC

Postby alwaysright » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:13 pm

The league table certainly looks a lot better this evening.......
alwaysright

Postby steve mfc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Well i thought we played some decent football at times particularly in the first half, second half it deteriorated as did the conditions resulting in more passes going astray and lets not forget we were up against a good team in Torquay.

We did miss Spencer today and that only highlights the need to bring in another striker. Duffy didn't have one of his better games today but he showed the desire and confidence to take the ball into the box and go past defenders to win the penalty's, both dispatched very confidently by Wilson.

Three points, three wins in a row and the confidence that comes with it, onwards and upwards.
steve mfc

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:17 pm

didn't deserve to lose, great comeback still think we need a new striker to now push for the play-offs
George Dawes

Postby Sammy h » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:24 pm

We are kings of the bottom half. Top of the pile.

Where was Scott Brown today? Drummond was terrible, can't believe Sammy didn't take him off. Wilson's pass for Duffy on the second penalty was worldy.

Good performance and more importantly 3 points. Mullin must NOT start the next game, I saw him win one header that was it.

Hendrie is a HERO.
Sammy h

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Sammy h wrote: Drummond was terrible, can't believe Sammy didn't take him off.

Not his best passing game but put some great defending tackles in when needed. Sammy couldn't take him off as Stanley was playing much worse than Drummond.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby Sammy h » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 pm

I saw one good tackle, the rest of the time he was giving the ball away. Almost every time.
Sammy h

Postby MfcChris » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 pm

A poor game by 2 poor sides with Torquay edging it. A draw probably fair. We were very lucky but 3 wins in a row and no more talk of relegation. Good times. I can see Stevenage game being exactly the same but more tough so we need to improve and get another striker instead of Mullin (however Hendrie and Shuker are both too small to lead the attack together). And Brown in for Drummond.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Sammy h wrote:I saw one good tackle, the rest of the time he was giving the ball away. Almost every time.

Which is still a lot more than Stanley did today...
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 pm

I thought we had flashes of good football but also flashes of very poor football. I thought Drummie was poor throughout and Stanley made numerous dissappointing passes. Mullins headers were going nowhere all game yet again and I actually don't think he put in 100 percent in all honesty. That aside, shuker was very lively and the defence was fairly solid if a little scrappy at times. Torquay are a very good side and there passing was great today and coupled with the pace, it caused us problems. When they went 1-0 up I thought it was game over as any attack from us would result in a counter from them. But duffy did very well to win both penalties and wilson confidently converted them.

We are still crying out for another striker imo. They were able to bring that stanley reject on to score whereas we didn't really have many options.

The determination and belief that the players showed to get back and win it was great though and often a result like this can kick start a good run like Crewe last year.

Will be interesting to see what happens with capaldi now anyway and whether we can keep this formation if he goes.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Sammy h » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:
Sammy h wrote:I saw one good tackle, the rest of the time he was giving the ball away. Almost every time.

I would rather have a player that usually plays very well on the pitch than a player who is consistently poor and consistently giving the ball away.
Sammy h

Postby ezz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:

Well no you couldn't be more wrong, drummond lost the ball too many times in dangerous positions and lost his marker, whilst stanley did nothing....he did nothing to help torquay either. Drummond only made good tackles because he was a liability in the first place.

Stanley always has the presence to whip in a good free kick
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Defence was solid. Roche was very good. Hendrie and Fleming made a difference. Torquay fans were very nasty. I was with a friend who watched Liverpool in the 80s and he said they were pretty nasty :? !

Roche....9 Fleming....7
Parrish....8 Hendire....8 (I reckon he should definitely start next game!)
McCready....8
Charnock....7
Capaldi....6
Duffy....7
Stanley....6
Drummond....6
Shuker....8
Mullin....5
Little Shrimp

Postby james456 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm

I'd have said...

Roche - 7
Capaldi - 6
Charnock - 6
McCready - 6
Parrish - 6
Wilson - 7
Stanley - 5
Drummond - 5
Duffy - 6
Shuker - 7
Mullin - 6

Shuker would have been my MoM
james456

Postby Peckishparrish13 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:50 pm

A poor game by 2 poor sides with Torquay edging it. A draw probably fair.

I dont understand why you are just abusing everything we did! I thought that was the best we had played in a long while at home, and a great comeback!
JIMBOS BARMY ARMY!
Peckishparrish13

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 pm

their fans were next to us and we gave them a bit of stick, to be fair they probably felt very badly done over, the ref was wrong with the second pen,but hey, we won.

I like drummers and stanners, but today it was not happening for either and sammy did nothing, we got lucky with the pens, baz and the defence were excellent.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby MfcChris » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Supperstanners13 wrote:
A poor game by 2 poor sides with Torquay edging it. A draw probably fair.

I dont understand why you are just abusing everything we did! I thought that was the best we had played in a long while at home, and a great comeback!

And Paul Buckle does not agree with you. If you were happy with today you are mad. Buckle is a bit OTT saying they controlled the game but I agree we were never getting back in to the game at all. BORING. Even Lillis said it was a dire game.

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle told BBC Radio Devon:
"We're in a little bit of shock really, it's a game we've controlled for 88 minutes and you couldn't see Morecambe getting back into the game.

"We were in total control but two pieces of 'foot-out' in the 18-yard box has cost us.

"I feel sorry for the players, because we've put so much in and in many ways we've let ourselves down in the last three minutes of a game of football."
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Peckishparrish13 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:23 pm

yes the conditions where dyer, and torquay may have had more pace than us, but they never took their chances and in the end we have taken all 3 points. Was mainly good game cause we got to go mental :D
JIMBOS BARMY ARMY!
Peckishparrish13

Postby Caged Lion » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:30 pm

james456 wrote:I'd have said...

Roche - 7
Capaldi - 6
Charnock - 6
McCready - 6
Parrish - 6
Wilson - 7
Stanley - 5
Drummond - 5
Duffy - 6
Shuker - 7
Mullin - 6

Shuker would have been my MoM

Pretty accurate scores there James. However, I would say that Wilson was worth a half point more for the stunning penalties and takes my MoM. You will not see a better penalty than the first one. Lils said that Loz had been practising penalties during training.

I struggle with the hoof-it-high tactics when conditions are so unpredictable. As soon as Fleming and Hendrie came on we played some tantalising football on the ground. Being small isn't always a bad thing, Barcelona seem to do quite well with a titchy set of attacking players and the ball seldom goes above knee high!

All season our midfield has been a problem area. We just don't close players down which allows the opposition to generate momentum. Fleming is a talented lad who will at least try to tackle, makes intelligent passes and Brown is a tough energetic competitor, who also gets stuck in. Drummond is frequently found lacking when it comes to going for a 50/50 ball, and most games his passing has been poor, his usual goal contribution that can make him such a valuable asset is not evident this season, time for a spell on the bench.

A win is 3 points and that is all that matters. Onward and upward.

SAMMY MAC'S BARMY ARMY
I noticed Sammy acknowledged the fans good style today, he was very vocal and patrolled the edge of his 'box' encouraging the players throughout. Great stuff Sammy :D
SAMMY MAC'S BARMY ARMY
Caged Lion

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:35 pm

id like to see Paul Scott back in there he looked good at the start of the season in the holding role with Stanley
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion