Joe Lewis

Joe Lewis

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Has handed in a transfer request after Posh rejected a bid from a Premiership team.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6651528,00.html
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Re: Joe Lewis

Postby Lloydie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:54 am

Aston Villa according to the Daily Mail
Lloydie

Postby essex_shrimp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:37 pm

why would he want to be a sub keeper come on?

why not play for peterboro there still got chance of promotion and with new boss darrren ferguson and if peterboro do not go up then join a championship team?

aston villa no chance i say :oops:
essex_shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Brad Friedal isn't getting any younger and didn't Houllier let him go at L'pool.

In a year or two Lewis could replace him as No 1 in the meantime Pboro could always suggest a loan back deal.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Ntini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Brad Friedal isn't getting any younger and didn't Houllier let him go at L'pool.

In a year or two Lewis could replace him as No 1 in the meantime Pboro could always suggest a loan back deal.

The position of goalkeeper works very differently to that of outfield players. If you're good enough and wait for your chance, then you never know.

Steve Harper is the obvious example at Newcastle, waited for years under Shay Given but is now respected as the number one (providing he can stay fit). Given then moved to Man City, where Joe Hart stuck at it and has now ousted a really good keeper for the number 1 spot.

If Joe Lewis plays his cards right, and more importantly takes his chance when it comes along, I can't see why he wouldn't be able to play in the Premier League.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby ezz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:00 pm

essex_shrimp wrote:why would he want to be a sub keeper come on?

why not play for peterboro there still got chance of promotion and with new boss darrren ferguson and if peterboro do not go up then join a championship team?

aston villa no chance i say :oops:

Because whilst money is sweet as a league 1 goalkeeper.....its much sweeter as a premiership sub
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Now_Then » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Just seen a Barry Fry interview on Sky Sports news. He says Villa have offered less than P'boro originally paid for him. Also said Joes agent is a certain Frank Mcavennie.
Now_Then

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:56 pm

joe lewis was fantatic for us and posh, he is well worth a place in a PL squad and i think will one day play a full england game or two.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby The Marksman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:27 am

Ntini wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:Brad Friedal isn't getting any younger and didn't Houllier let him go at L'pool.

The position of goalkeeper works very differently to that of outfield players. If you're good enough and wait for your chance, then you never know.

Steve Harper is the obvious example at Newcastle, waited for years under Shay Given but is now respected as the number one (providing he can stay fit). Given then moved to Man City, where Joe Hart stuck at it and has now ousted a really good keeper for the number 1 spot.

If Joe Lewis plays his cards right, and more importantly takes his chance when it comes along, I can't see why he wouldn't be able to play in the Premier League.

Steve Harper: yep, after mainly sitting on the bench for Newcastle for 10-15 years he finally got his chance at being first choice at the age of 33, and then for a time this season was demoted to no.2 again beneath Tim Krul. That went really well for him.

Bad example aside, your point is kind of the wrong way around: "If you're good enough and wait for your chance, then you never know." Outfielders get more injuries, are subbed more and are rotated more than goalkeepers, so you have more chance as an outfielder of making first team appearances. As a no.2 goalkeeper you'll be lucky if you get selected for Carling Cup games.

A keeper needs first team football to gain experience. For every Joe Hart there is a David Martin, an Iain Turner, a Tomasz Kuszczak, a Stephen Bywater, even Scott Carson wasted 3 years sitting on the bench at Liverpool, and Chris Kirkland 5 years. Can anyone say that any of them improved in that time?

If I was him and I wasn't being signed to be first choice, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, certainly not at the age of 23. Better to do a Kieran Westwood and go to the Championship and be a regular.
The Marksman

Postby CASS » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 am

Not going anywhere says the Chairman....unless !!
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... -lewis-bid
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Ntini » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:30 am

The Marksman wrote:
Ntini wrote:

Steve Harper: yep, after mainly sitting on the bench for Newcastle for 10-15 years he finally got his chance at being first choice at the age of 33, and then for a time this season was demoted to no.2 again beneath Tim Krul. That went really well for him.

Bad example aside, your point is kind of the wrong way around: "If you're good enough and wait for your chance, then you never know." Outfielders get more injuries, are subbed more and are rotated more than goalkeepers, so you have more chance as an outfielder of making first team appearances. As a no.2 goalkeeper you'll be lucky if you get selected for Carling Cup games.

A keeper needs first team football to gain experience. For every Joe Hart there is a David Martin, an Iain Turner, a Tomasz Kuszczak, a Stephen Bywater, even Scott Carson wasted 3 years sitting on the bench at Liverpool, and Chris Kirkland 5 years. Can anyone say that any of them improved in that time?

If I was him and I wasn't being signed to be first choice, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, certainly not at the age of 23. Better to do a Kieran Westwood and go to the Championship and be a regular.

Steve Harper did wait for years and took his chance when it came. However, he wasn't dropped to no. 2 but was injured and so Tim Krul came in to replace him. Again, he took his chance and so had a run of games where he did well and so Harper couldn't get back in. But now he's let it slip and Harper is back in the side and is still regarded as Newcastle's no. 1 - so I stand by my example!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:49 am

CASS wrote:Not going anywhere says the Chairman....unless !!

“I’m not going to hold Joe Lewis back but let’s not forget no-one really heard of Joe Lewis until we bought him.”

Unless you are a Shrimp of course 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 am

Some interesting comments on The Posh forum on the subject.

Quote, "let him go. There are better keepers around." :o

http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/forumv2/v ... =1&t=18787
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby The Fury » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Some interesting comments on The Posh forum on the subject.

From watching highlights, the number of blunders he has made in the last couple of seasons has been really obvious. Honestly, just about every goal they conceded on the way to relegation last year looked as if Joe was, in some way, at fault for!! Frankly, I think it's a little amusing that Scott Loach overtook Joe as the countries brightest goalkeeping prospect after Joe Hart given that Sammy perceived Loach to be a weaker keeper, and duly brought in Schwan Jalal.....
The Fury

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:06 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
CASS wrote:Not going anywhere says the Chairman....unless !!

“I’m not going to hold Joe Lewis back but let’s not forget no-one really heard of Joe Lewis until we bought him.”

Unless you are a Shrimp of course 8-)

Lets not also forget Peterborough had not heard of Joe Lewis untill they saw him playing for Morecambe.
heysham_mfc

Postby feelingguilty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Interesting one - we lost Joe and thought he was irreplaceable - a few false starts and along came Barry.

Can see the Peterborough fans point - I would want to cash in.
feelingguilty

Postby ALAN1540 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:05 am

Agree, few had heard of him BUT, as fergie senior bid £250,000 at 15 gives some indication that someone apart from BF and DA recognised his potential. It also sheds some light on his character by his rejection of that offer.
As his first choice was to be a canary he was dissapointed to be told his chance at Norwich was slim to non existent in the medium term.
His chance at u21 was limited (despite shining at u17 and u19)as hart was already established and by time hart stepped up Joe had only half season left to gain full recognition at u21 so loach got his start.
If he had been given a choice Joe would have been happy to continue to stay at morecambe to end of season,
ALAN1540

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 pm

I am just proud to witness Joe wear my shirt! :D :D :D
joelewisshirt.jpg

Will never forget the day he got that head injury and the resulting Petr Cech headgear.
Good luck to him wherever he ends up in his career.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 358136.stm
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Some interesting comments on The Posh forum on the subject.

Yeah, but Barry Roche isn't going anywhere!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion