One sided ITV commentary

One sided ITV commentary

Postby durhamshrimp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:27 am

Love Liverpool don't they.

Beglin is an embarrassment, it was a penalty but his view was obviously clouded by being an ex Scouse player.
durhamshrimp

Re: One sided ITV commentary

Postby shrimper » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Aye - made a fool of himself. Believe me I have no love for Mr Webb's reffing at OT but I thought he got both those decisions right.

The only comment I'd make is that there was scope to give something different for each of them (he could have booked Berbatov for diving and could have given Gerrard a yellow) and I just wonder what would have happened had it been a Liverpool player for the pen/dive and a Utd one for the tackle/red card.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Red card every day of the week, but it was never a penalty. Berbatov dived, it was embarrassing to watch. In games like that you want them to be settled by a piece of sublime skill or brilliant play, not some big nosed Bulgarian chucking himself on the floor. They had a genuine penalty shout in the second half during the scramble of shots. Liverpool can't complain as Gerrard is possibly the biggest diver going.

In games like that you've got to be 100% sure. Mr. Webb was to far away for that to be the case and the award of a penalty was a complete guess. As Big Sam noted, the linesman who had a clear view of the incident gave nothing.
RedRedWine1

Postby George Dawes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:41 pm

if the same challange/incident had been at Anfield with Torres infront of the kop i have no doubt it would have been the same

and referees are instructed to give straight red cards for two footed challenges, Gerrard as himself to blame great captain!
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Why does Webb always ref uniteds big games and botch it up? (on purpose)
Never a penalty, gerrard gave Webb every opportunity to send him off and he did.
Carrick didn't help acting like he was hurt either.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 am

halftimeresults

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 am

I wonder, did anyone see the same challenge by a Crawley Town player on Robbie Savage last night?
Yellow card. So the argument for it being a red everyday doesn't really stand.

However, like shrimper, I can understand the ref giving either.
morecambe mick

Postby Welshrimp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm in a minority of one on the Gerrard incident. Carrick was not in possession. For me, Gerrard got to the ball and Carrick crashed into his legs. I do appreciate that Gerrard was airborne, and that's what sealed it in the ref's mind on this occasion. But there was enough there for the red not to look like a black and white decision for me.
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Welshrimp wrote: But there was enough there for the red not to look like a black and white decision for me.

Solution, don't fly in with two feet.
Plain Peter

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:02 pm

halftimeresults wrote:http://www.spankthenews.com/html/article-detail.php?ArtID=357

:lol: :lol:
howard webb.jpg

Prefer this one myself
paul,howardwebb.jpg
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby ezz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Peter wrote:
Welshrimp wrote: But there was enough there for the red not to look like a black and white decision for me.

Solution, don't fly in with two feet.

Solution, dont fly in with two feet if your a liverpool player. If your fabio its ok.
At first I thought Meireles was being a wimp but after watching it again he'd have had his leg broke if he put it under fabio's challenge.
Funny enough 5 seconds after it, it led to Gerrard being sent off, stranger things have happened when Webb refs for fergie :?

Anyone see Babel's pic of Webb that he's in trouble for?.....excellent!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Funny how all the Mancs think it was a pen and a sending off, and all the Scousers think it was a dive and a yellow...suppose that's fickle football fans :lol:
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Sammy h wrote:Funny how all the Mancs think it was a pen and a sending off, and all the Scousers think it was a dive and a yellow...suppose that's fickle football fans :lol:

Nah....just shows how thick some scousers can be.....with the exception of Jimbo and Co obviously!

;) ;) ;)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 pm

der dey dont do dat dont dey?
George Dawes

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 pm

As a Morecambe fan, I'd say that it probably was a red, but I have never seen a clearer dive in my life.
Bare Ben

Postby Sammy h » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Sammy h

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Due to the financial climate and the restrictions being put on many football clubs, Manchester United have had to make 15 staff redundant.

the 10 referees and 5 linesman are said to be devastated
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 pm

To be fair, there is actually contact there, it's just he goes down about an hour late. :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Sammy h wrote:Funny how all the Mancs think it was a pen and a sending off, and all the Scousers think it was a dive and a yellow...suppose that's fickle football fans :lol:

As a neutral Spurs fan who has suffered at the hands of Mr Webb (and others) with appalling decisions at Old Trafford, believe me I have no bias when I said I thought he got both right.

Berbatov did go down late. But he was caught on the shins in the penalty box with the defender making no contact with the ball. That's a foul and a penalty. The ref could even have given it had he NOT gone down (waiting to see if any advantage accrued) if he thought the contact was enough to put him off his stride. Think of it like a shirt being pulled but the player not going down. It's still a foul.

And the Gerrard challenge was a reckless leap that had the potential to injure an opponent. And it's quite in order for the ref to give a straight red in those circumstances. Them's the laws of the game.

But I repeat, there was scope in both to give a different decision and I wonder whether he would had it been the other way (as he seemed to do when Rafael - one of the nastiest players in the league by the way - jumped with two feet at the ball).
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby bigreddog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Have to say I agree completely with all of that. I suspect the decisions may have been different if the other way round, but I wouldn't question whether Mr Webb was biased, and by the way the picture of him wearing a shirt may have been posted by babel but he didn't make it, he just drew attention to a bit of scouse humour. I just think it shows how intimidating or at leasr how much an influence a home crowd can be ( note to MBW stand for saturday)

For me I'd love to say the pen was a dive, and yes berba is a diving shit, but Danny Agger had no reason to even challenge for the ball and then he botched it up. so his own fault for not just seeing out the situation.

when it comes to the red card, I'm afraid stevie had both feet off the floor so cant be in control of the situation and I'm afraid that's a red these days, and I've been watching Liverpool since the 74 cup final. pains me to say it, but webb got both spot on. the one positive is that liverpool looked a lot better as a unit, King Kenny will turn it around and maybe this is a turning point for all the right reasons and we will forget about mr webb's decisions soon enough
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 pm

And there was me thinking you had to make contact with the player to foul him. Blatant dive and disgraceful decision that ruined the game after 31 seconds.
Bare Ben

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31 pm

He did make contact.
shrimper

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 pm

No he didn't.
Bare Ben

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 pm

There was a small amount of contact but probably not enough to bring him down.
Little Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Get over it.

United won.

Wonder if the same cries of 'foul play' would have been aimed at a Liverpool player in a similar situation.

As for the ref, he earned the right to ref the World Cup final , so can't be that bad!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Next

Return to General Discussion