THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

Postby Duffman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:18 am

marky No.1 wrote:On the subject of pushing forward: When we were down to 10 on Saturday we soaked a lot of pressure particularly from corners. IMO rather than bring everyone back into the box I feel it is better to have one man near the halfway line as an outlet. We just seemed to invite more pressure on ourselves. That one man can often take 2 opposition players away from our penalty area.

Any thoughts ?

Earlier this season Blackpool were 1-0 up against Newcastle at St James and with the home side searching for an equaliser Newcastle got a corner in the 90th minute. Normally you'd have everyone back but Blackpool put 3 men on the halfway line, ball was cleared, they counter attacked and DJ Campbell scored a second. Takes some balls and if we did that and dropped points, Sammy would get slated.
Duffman

Postby thegentlegiant » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 am

bigreddog wrote:
Pobble wrote:THE GOOD
We have now won three out of four, even though one was Stockport.
THE BAD
By winning three out of four we are now stuck with the worst and most tactically inept Manager in the league for a bit longer.
THE UGLY
An excellant new ground partially spoilt by penny pinching cost cutting.

2011 should be the time for change.!!!![/b]

I know I shouldn't even bother, but I just can't help myself. But before I respond first and foremost you're entitled to your opinion like everybody else, so I'm not going to question motives, backing of the club, integrity, parentage or anything else. criticism isn't always a sign of disloyalty.

Anyway having said that I'd better get on with disagreeing with you:

1. winning three out of four in any league is a good run of results, and the fact that the other game was a derby means that was by no means an ordinary game. Stockport may not be the best side in the league, but it's disrespectful to their football club and to our players to suggest that one doesn't count.

2. Our Manager. "the worst and most tacticaly inept in the league", other than the fact I suspect you think tactics are little white mints, I refer you to your first point. if we've won three out of four there must have been something tacticaly sound in there somewhere. On top of that there are a number of chairmen (most especilly ours) who disagree with you given the battalion of manager sackings so far this season. And may I ask what do people want from our manager? who in the space of 4 1/2 seasons (not counting where we end up this year) has achieved 5th, 3rd and promotion, 11th, 11th and 4th. Or to put it another way: in five finishes he's managed play off spots 3 times. Name one manager anywhere in the UK that can match that.

3. The ground is in the main part magnificent, and I think we should recognise that it's still a bit of a work in progress from what we wanted, but we've just come through a huge recession and it's unfair to blame the directors for penny pinching, when they and the chairman have done nothing but put their hands in their own pockets and put money into the club, not just this year but every year.

Or to put it another way in the Taoist tradition: Freedom resides in the recognition of limitations. In knowing how far you're able to reach, you'll have perfect freedom to choose just how far within that range to reach. The ideal of unlimited freedom is an illusion.When you realise where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandmother, dignified as a king. Immersed in the wonder, you can deal with whatever life brings you.

or just watch this:

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/2030921318

Fantastic vid, brings a tear to your eye.

Come on Morecambe, I STILL BELIEVE!!!
thegentlegiant

Postby Pobble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 am

Got you all going didn`t it !!!!
Pobble

Postby broadwayshrimp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 am

Pobble wrote:Got you all going didn`t it !!!!

Not me it didn't
broadwayshrimp

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:35 pm

marky No.1 wrote:On the subject of pushing forward: When we were down to 10 on Saturday we soaked a lot of pressure particularly from corners. IMO rather than bring everyone back into the box I feel it is better to have one man near the halfway line as an outlet. We just seemed to invite more pressure on ourselves. That one man can often take 2 opposition players away from our penalty area.

Any thoughts ?

One of the problems for Mike Williamson being a photographer when I'm there is he's forced to listen to my pontificating because there is no one else to talk to! I said during the game that I'd rather we sacrificed a midfield player and go 4-3-2 once we were down to ten men and play the long ball to Mullen. With four midfielders, the ball was going over their heads anyway! They left two players back in defence so at times had eight players in or around our penalty area. Keeping a second player up would have given them something else to think about.

That said, everyone worked themselves in to the ground to maintain our lead, so clearly it worked.

As for the original nonsense, I've never understood this attitude of wanting us to lose so that the manager would get sacked. There was a hard-core of 'anti-Harvey' folk who were equally dismayed if we won games. I've been very critical of Sammy Mac in the past but I don't want him to be sacked for two reasons. First, as I've said repeatedly, I believe this season would still come good despite giving everyone else their traditional head-start and obviously I want to bask in the glow of smugness when that happens, but far more importantly, because I don't want to see 'my club' fail... ever.

We are currently seven points away from the play off's and eight points away from relegation. I know which I think we're most likely to be in come the end of the season!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Pobble » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 am

As for the original nonsense, I've never understood this attitude of wanting us to lose so that the manager would get sacked. There was a hard-core of 'anti-Harvey' folk who were equally dismayed if we won games. I've been very critical of Sammy Mac in the past but I don't want him to be sacked for two reasons. First, as I've said repeatedly, I believe this season would still come good despite giving everyone else their traditional head-start and obviously I want to bask in the glow of smugness when that happens, but far more importantly, because I don't want to see 'my club' fail... ever.

We are currently seven points away from the play off's and eight points away from relegation. I know which I think we're most likely to be in come the end of the season![/quote]

I hope you are right but I do think we are going to struggle until certain changes are made. I think the Eric Morecambe statue would be a good alternative as manager, both are comedians.
It is generally accepted in football that last minute substitutions are made to run the clock down. How, therefore, do you think SM justified a substitution in the eightyninth minute against Accrington when we were losing. This is just one example of many.
Pobble

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 am

Pobble wrote:.
I hope you are right but I do think we are going to struggle until certain changes are made. I think the Eric Morecambe statue would be a good alternative as manager, both are comedians.

FFS .................... ! :evil:

Pass me the revolver matron. I'm going for a walk in the woods .............
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby broadwayshrimp » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:23 am

broadwayshrimp wrote:
Pobble wrote:Got you all going didn`t it !!!!

Not me it didn't
broadwayshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:25 am

Exactly.

W.U.M.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Sammy h » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Any thoughts ?

You are right, when we do bring the whole team back and manage to clear it, it goes to one of their players and they pump it back in the box.

Keep two players on the half way line I say, this means the opposition team needs to leave three defenders back.
Sammy h

Previous

Return to General Discussion