o/t Liverpool tonight

Re: o/t Liverpool tonight

Postby chipbuns » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:52 pm

as Muzzer and Ben know, i too don't like the player. credit to him he does have his occassional good games like last night , but he disappears in far too many too. For example , when Liverpool play a big team like Arsenal or Chelsea , he usually disappears. I remember last year when Anderson and Makelele totally marked him out of the games at Anfield. It has happened for quite a while with England too. Most of the time his "brilliant" performances are against teams who aren't as good as Liverpool.

I'm not sure whether Lampard is better but after the Croatia win, i would be happy to keep the same side.

Finally, in his Autobiography, he states that diving is an utter disgrace and players should get in serious trouble for play acting. But ive seen Gerrard do this many a time. Bolton away a few seasons ago, he went down in the box trying to win a pen when there was no one near him what so ever. The media also suck up to him all the time and makes him sound like a god so you can blatantly see that the reporters are Liverpool fans.
chipbuns

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:50 pm

chipbuns wrote: Most of the time his "brilliant" performances are against teams who aren't as good as Liverpool.

Like AC Milan? :roll:

chipbuns wrote:Finally, in his Autobiography, he states that diving is an utter disgrace and players should get in serious trouble for play acting. But ive seen Gerrard do this many a time.

Like Cristiano Ronaldo?

I think you'll also find that Ronaldo gets front page headlines as well as back, so do the media not favour him as well? Sir Alex Feguson has done nothing for your arguement by completely sacking off the BBC just as Sam Allardyce did and look where that got him. After what Ronaldo did to England he should be executed im afraid, and you're saying you'd rather read about a backstabbing, diving ponce who shags anyone and anything whilst spending his life on the beach waiting for Real Madrid to give him 200k a week? Or a sound bloke who talks about how important his family is, how he never got into football for the money, and spends his life promoting grassroots football? Its the same as David Beckham, everybody who knows me knows I hate Man Utd with a passion but what that guy has done for this country is nothing short of legendary. What has Ronaldo done? Destroyed our hopes in 2004 thats what. But Ryan Giggs? Your right Joel, for what he did on saturday he should be knighted! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby cultured » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 am

Or a sound bloke who talks about how important his family is, how he never got into football for the money, and spends his life promoting grassroots football.

But "writes" an autobiography at 20 odd, sells the rights to the Sun/NOTW and puts in a transfer request after finding out that Chelsea want to put him on £100k a week plus.

Anyway, Grimsby on Saturday? I think we should go 4-4-2.
cultured

Postby The Red Knight » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:29 am

cultured wrote:
Or a sound bloke who talks about how important his family is, how he never got into football for the money, and spends his life promoting grassroots football.

But "writes" an autobiography at 20 odd, sells the rights to the Sun/NOTW and puts in a transfer request after finding out that Chelsea want to put him on £100k a week plus.

Anyway, Grimsby on Saturday? I think we should go 4-4-2.

I agree.

Steven Gerrard has taken over Alan Shearer's role of media darling which puts him above criticism for his persistant diving and occasional career threatening challenges.

It's easy to spot the armchair Liverpool fans in this thread.
The Red Knight

Postby chipbuns » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Bare Ben wrote:Like AC Milan? :roll: .

The one where AC Milan deservedly won 2-1??? i remember he was quiet in that game too.
chipbuns

Postby ezz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Persistant diving?? In all fairness i've only ever seen him dive once and that was agaist sheffield utd about 2 years ago. Its easy to spot the liverpool haters in this thread as well. The fact they can't appreciate the most talented english footballer of the decade shows it all.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby campdave » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:59 pm

ezz wrote:Persistant diving?? In all fairness i've only ever seen him dive once and that was agaist sheffield utd about 2 years ago. Its easy to spot the liverpool haters in this thread as well. The fact they can't appreciate the most talented english footballer of the decade shows it all.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2008/04/ra ... teven.html
campdave

Postby cultured » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:38 pm

"Persistant diving?? In all fairness i've only ever seen him dive once and that was agaist sheffield utd about 2 years ago. Its easy to spot the liverpool haters in this thread as well. The fact they can't appreciate the most talented english footballer of the decade shows it all."

You appear to making the golden error of confusing attitude with ability.
cultured

Postby Posh » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:05 pm

campdave wrote:
ezz wrote:Persistant diving?? In all fairness i've only ever seen him dive once and that was agaist sheffield utd about 2 years ago. Its easy to spot the liverpool haters in this thread as well. The fact they can't appreciate the most talented english footballer of the decade shows it all.

Great link but what a sad bunch of tossers it is who can actually spend loads of their time creating an anti-football team site like that.

I'm a reformed Liverpool fan (supported them like my life depended on it but then watched Morecambe v Goole) and I've always liked Steven Gerrard as a footballer. His workrate his excellent, he's got a superb shot and great goal rate. He also understands pass and move, has a great touch and inspires his colleagues. He's also a Scouser and no wonder every Liverpool fan loves him. I also think playing in the middle for a Lampard-free England he can be a great player.

Having said all that he does have bad moments. Versus France he handed them the game when he just completely lost his head. And he is also very quiet in some games when played out of position or simply not at the races. He does also dive but there are few striker's in the modern game who wouldn't go down when they get a touch and he gets a lot of them.

Worst of all though he interviews like a politician and is just full of platitudes. Oh yeah and there's the fact that he gets paid so much he can build a gym in his back garden that's in a different postcode.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ezz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:07 pm

campdave wrote:

Congratulations i'm convinced i know know two times gerrard has dived, yet one of them had contact so therefore was not a dive. As for the Gerrard muttered something in the refs ear to get hom sent off....what did he mutter can you tell me?? Didnt think so.......come back when you form a real argument.
As for ability and attitude noone could argue that his ability and attitude are up there with tta of the best in the world.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:22 pm

It's easy to spot the plonkers in this thread that just go with whatever the media tells them. At the end of the day Steven Gerrard is one of the best players in this country, his range of passing and work ethic is un-questionable. The only reason he isn't as good for England is that he is eiher played out of position, like the wing or up top. Or he is playing with Fat Lampard in the middle.

Gerrard, as much as i hate to say it as i am a toffee, is a top player end of.
Sammy h

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Sammy h wrote:It's easy to spot the plonkers in this thread that just go with whatever the media tells them. At the end of the day Steven Gerrard is one of the best players in this country, his range of passing and work ethic is un-questionable. The only reason he isn't as good for England is that he is eiher played out of position, like the wing or up top. Or he is playing with Fat Lampard in the middle.

I am actually on my knees bowing to this post
Bare Ben

Postby Sammy h » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
Sammy h wrote:It's easy to spot the plonkers in this thread that just go with whatever the media tells them. At the end of the day Steven Gerrard is one of the best players in this country, his range of passing and work ethic is un-questionable. The only reason he isn't as good for England is that he is eiher played out of position, like the wing or up top. Or he is playing with Fat Lampard in the middle.

I am actually on my knees bowing to this post

The truth has to be said sometimes, even if it is terrible.

Now then, what was this about you on your knees? ;)
Sammy h

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:46 pm

The Red Knight wrote:Steven Gerrard has taken over Alan Shearer's role of media darling which puts him above criticism for his persistant diving and occasional career threatening challenges.

The reason being he is the model professional that came along after Shearer. You're clearly trying to wind people up, to say Steven Gerrard makes career threatening challenges is totally beyond me :?

And its also easy to spot the Mancs in this thread who are bitter for Saturdays destruction :D :D :D
Bare Ben

Postby chipbuns » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:Steven Gerrard has taken over Alan Shearer's role of media darling which puts him above criticism for his persistant diving and occasional career threatening challenges.

The reason being he is the model professional that came along after Shearer. You're clearly trying to wind people up, to say Steven Gerrard makes career threatening challenges is totally beyond me :?

And its also easy to spot the Mancs in this thread who are bitter for Saturdays destruction :D :D :D

I aint a manc , i'm a Crewe fan ;) we like to say things like this as it's more interesting than our campaigns;)
chipbuns

Postby ezz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:12 pm

That quote aboutlampard in the croatia game is stupid did you watch the match??? It was clearly Walcott, Rooney and Cole that made that victory. Rooney finally playing well after about a year of tosh as well. Lampard was not that instrumental though he is undoubtedly good for chelsea
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby The Red Knight » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:You're clearly trying to wind people up

Why would stating negative opinions about Steven Gerrard on a Morecambe message board wind anyone up?

I think Steven Gerrard is a fantastic footballer when playing for Liverpool, I don't doubt that. It's his performances for England that I have a problem with.

Lampard and Hargreaves / Barry in the middle for me.
The Red Knight

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:47 pm

The Red Knight wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:You're clearly trying to wind people up

Why would stating negative opinions about Steven Gerrard on a Morecambe message board wind anyone up?

I think Steven Gerrard is a fantastic footballer when playing for Liverpool, I don't doubt that. It's his performances for England that I have a problem with.

Lampard and Hargreaves / Barry in the middle for me.

Are you Steve McLaren?
Bare Ben

Postby Freez » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:18 pm

This thread reminds me why I no longer listen to 606 on Saturdays :roll:
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Muzzer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 pm

i think i would have in midfield, hargreaves and Barry (as both these players show that they give it their all for their country), with Cole and Beckham on the wings and bring theo on as an impact player to change the game when the opposition arnt ready for it (because surely after the croatia game the world has seen him now, and know what to expect)

however, when it comes down to it, its the managers decision to pick the team, and he see's what quality their doing during training which we dont see (which should happen, and is the correct way to look at it)
I can win a game of connect four in three moves ;)
Muzzer

Postby campdave » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:55 am

Freez wrote:This thread reminds me why I no longer listen to 606 on Saturdays :roll:

:lol:
campdave

Postby Joel Ninety » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:56 am

Urgh. Blah blah blah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYHggzKlAi4

Yes, I am a United fan. I'm not a fan of Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal but I can see when a player or team deserves some credit. I can appreciate Gerrard is a talisman for Liverpool. He scores some good goals and maybe he does promote grass roots football and gets a nice wedge from Lucozade to smile for the cameras. But, for England he doesn't perform. Neither does Lampard, but I have to say I prefer him to Gerrard. At the momemt he gets picked for England on name rather than international merit. Look at Walcott: people say he is not good enough for Arsenal, but for England he is a masterstroke. Different types of players work in league and international football. Jermaine Defoe is tearing up the Premiership, but for England he is hopeless. I would like to see Joe Cole playing in the centre with Gareth Barry or Owen Hargreaves (if he can ever get fit), with Rooney in a free role and Dean Ashton up front. It won't happen though because it is too progressive an idea I would imagine.

Ben: Ryan Giggs may have done nothing last Saturday but so what? My point is he won the Champions League before Steven Gerrard, but it took him another 7 or 8 years since the 1999 triumph to get an OBE whereas Gerrard received one straight after Liverpool won in Europe. That isn't really fair. United bias or not, I would still prefer to see someone receive an honour who deserves it for continued league and cup success than a few cups here and there.

Gerrard's goal against Marseille was a cracker though, I have to concede that.
Joel Ninety

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:13 pm

Joel are you always a Man Ure fan or are you just trying to fit in whilst you're in London? :lol: :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:31 pm

How about Rooneys amazing performances for England for the last 2 years??
Get over it ;)
ezz

Previous

Return to General Discussion