O/T Winter tyres

O/T Winter tyres

Postby Christies Child » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:18 pm

To all you fellow drivers out there, is it time that we as a Nation of car lovers gave serious thoughts about the use of Winter Tyres to combat the likes of the current weather patterns which, if the predictions are accurate will become a regular occurance?

With forecasts of the current freeze going well into the New Year maybe to invest around £250 in a set of 4 winter tyres wouldn't be such a bad thing if it means being more mobile and feeling safer on frozen roads, although it's impossible to compenaste for the idiots who have no respect for the conditions.

Quck Fit are offering a storage service of ones normal tyres so that come the freeeze it's a simple case of getting them to change to winter tyres and storing your normal ones until it's time to revert back to 'normals' in March.

On the Continent it's normal practice to change. Maybe it's that this is one area in which we should take their lead
:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Winter tyres

Postby ezz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm sick of crap wreckless drivers crashing causing huge delays through traffic, causing impatient people to get frustrated and then themselves cause more crashes trying to push their way through. If you know there is ice around you clearly drive slower........and if your a lorry driver dont try to take over another lorry whilst only travelling 1mph faster taking it 10mins for you to actually get past. Most annoying thing i've ever witnessed, rant over make the driving test even harder or give ice training!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Gnasher » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Checked out the recommended winter tyres for my wee Citroen;

Dunlop Winter Sport Tyres, £250.70 fitted

..... each :o
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Dragofly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Check out what happens if you don't have them ..............and your not that bright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhelQL_YKs
Dragofly

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Yep I considered the offer for about 17 seconds when my friendly Kendal centre offered me the 4 tyres for 1600 quid! Cheaper to leave it in the garage if the car they sell you is useless in winter :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Christies Child wrote:To all you fellow drivers out there, is it time that we as a Nation of car lovers gave serious thoughts about the use of Winter Tyres to combat the likes of the current weather patterns which, if the predictions are accurate will become a regular occurance?

With forecasts of the current freeze going well into the New Year maybe to invest around £250 in a set of 4 winter tyres wouldn't be such a bad thing if it means being more mobile and feeling safer on frozen roads, although it's impossible to compenaste for the idiots who have no respect for the conditions.

Quck Fit are offering a storage service of ones normal tyres so that come the freeeze it's a simple case of getting them to change to winter tyres and storing your normal ones until it's time to revert back to 'normals' in March.

On the Continent it's normal practice to change. Maybe it's that this is one area in which we should take their lead

Your right C.C , the Finns have to change to winter tyres in October and then summer tyres in April by Law . The thing is though they have a lot more snow over there so all the roads are covered for a good 3 months and so the studded tyres are very effective and you can just drive as normal. The problem over here is that the major roads are usually cleared of snow in a short time and then you have the problem with the studs ripping up the tarmac and they do make a mess. Back to the salt C.C im afraid. ;)
parceldave

Postby Christies Child » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:33 pm

parceldave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:To all you fellow drivers out there, is it time that we as a Nation of car lovers gave serious thoughts about the use of Winter Tyres to combat the likes of the current weather patterns which, if the predictions are accurate will become a regular occurance?

Your right C.C , the Finns have to change to winter tyres in October and then summer tyres in April by Law . The thing is though they have a lot more snow over there so all the roads are covered for a good 3 months and so the studded tyres are very effective and you can just drive as normal. The problem over here is that the major roads are usually cleared of snow in a short time and then you have the problem with the studs ripping up the tarmac and they do make a mess. Back to the salt C.C im afraid. ;)

Could be a shortage of that pretty soon. Carnforth Depot looks to be empty already!

Now if a certain person would stop knicking all the 'salted' peanuts.... :roll:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Once you hit a certain age you should have to re take your test. Some of the people on the roads are ridiculous.

I can't stand it when people are on Altham road turning right at St Martins church and cut right across instead of just sticking to their space.

Don't get me started, I could go on all night :lol:
Sammy h

Postby Mighty Red » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:06 am

Mighty Red

Return to General Discussion