o/t Sports Personality of the Year

o/t Sports Personality of the Year

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:05 am

Not a footballer in sight , although Becks is in line to win the lifetime award. After the World Cup shambles it will be quite refreshing to have a different sport. Phil Taylor has been top of his game for years but can't see him getting it
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: o/t Sports Personality of the Year

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 am

marky No.1 wrote:Not a footballer in sight , although Becks is in line to win the lifetime award. After the World Cup shambles it will be quite refreshing to have a different sport. Phil Taylor has been top of his game for years but can't see him getting it

remember that famous quote from Syd Waddell "who says these men aren't athletes" !

and on another occasion he compared Phil Taylor with Don Bradman and Pele !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ockers » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:00 am

mark cavendish would get my vote
a great cyclist, sportsman and personality too
ockers

Postby Christies Child » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:42 am

ockers wrote:mark cavendish would get my vote
a great cyclist, sportsman and personality too

Would?

Should have Sean.......

He got mine!

The worlds toughest sport.....
:D
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimpinho » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Phil Taylor for me this year. Been on top of his sport for so many years yet still doesn't get the recognition. Problem is, its a split in opinion on who see's it as a sport and who see's it as a pub past time and this will inevitably lead to him coming up short again.

Second favourite for me Swann.

glad there is no footballers on there, "just to fill the numbers" so to speak and that we have several athletes and sports people to be proud of.
shrimpinho

Postby parceldave » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Graeme McDowell has to be in there for beating the Yanks on their own turf in winning the U.S Open And again it was down to him to beat the Yanks to win back the Ryder Cup for Europe And only a couple of weeks ago he beat another Yank (Tiger Woods no less) in a play off , in Tiger's own tournament. (bottom lip came out a bit then ). :)

Not sure if the Ryder Cup team qualifies for team of the year as a few of them are Europeans. :?:
parceldave

Postby shrimpinho » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:20 pm

parceldave wrote:Not sure if the Ryder Cup team qualifies for team of the year as a few of them are Europeans. :?:

I'm trying to think who else would receive the team of the year award?
shrimpinho

Postby jonnythedog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:30 pm

I wouldn't argue with Graeme McDowell he's had a fantastic season and the Ryder cup was one of the highlights of the year for me. I don't think Mark Cavendish will get it though, I'd like him to, he's been immense but I think he may be a bit too abrasive for many people's taste and cycling in general doesn't have the best rep.

Given that the point of this award is to influence young people and inspire them to have a go I would be very disappointed if it went to darts, especially when you consider the associated lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I have so much respect for Phil Taylor's achievements, his mental strength and consistency is incredible as is his commitment to practising, as mentioned though I find it hard to take darts seriously as a sport.

Personally I would like it to go to athletics, so Jessica Ennis or Tom Daley. London 2012 is something to get excited about and I think that this would get the ball rolling.

It's an even and varied field this year so it's a tough one to call really.
jonnythedog

Postby halftimeresults » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:37 pm

shrimpinho wrote:
parceldave wrote:Not sure if the Ryder Cup team qualifies for team of the year as a few of them are Europeans. :?:

I'm trying to think who else would receive the team of the year award?

Englands ladies Cricket team
halftimeresults

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:21 pm

As long as Lewis Hamilton doesn't win a sausage I'll be able to sleep easy; the tax dodging baguette eating dickhead!

The problem with this award is the way it has been devised, rewarding sporting achievement that has already been rewarded. It doesn't have a purpose and It's importance is magnified by the BBC. Phil Taylor practises like crazy to win the World Championship of darts, not BBC sports personality of the year. So what is the point of it? Using the gong for sporting achievement is flawed, although If its about personality then none of those shortlisted (other than perhaps Swanny) would get it, as they are all wooden and bland.

And another thing, you shouldn't get anything other than lashes if you do cycling or athletics over and above a recreational activity. Generally, the public could not give a toss about such sports, thats why they aren't self-financing and reliant upon a handout from the national lottery. So why all the clambering to give them accolades? Darts on the other hand, pays its way.

And another thing, sports people getting knighted for doing well in their sport is bloody stupid. It annoys me, and devalues the whole process. Sir Alex Ferguson??? FFS, this country has gone to the dogs. I blame blokes with long hair.
RedRedWine1

Postby alwaysright » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 pm

I blame the coalition government mysef.
alwaysright

Postby alwaysright » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Or even myself
alwaysright

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Does that mean you are voting Capaldi RRW?

Favourites are a jockey, athlete, 2 golfers and a darts player. If McCoy wins he will cost the bookies a million quid. Someone has put 7000 quid on him to win at even money. He has been champion jockey for each of the last 15 years of which he entered the National every time and only won it this year.

You can get 20/1 on McIlroy :o
marky No.1

Postby Sammy h » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:56 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Does that mean you are voting Capaldi RRW?

Favourites are a jockey, athlete, 2 golfers and a darts player. If McCoy wins he will cost the bookies a million quid. Someone has put 7000 quid on him to win at even money. He has been champion jockey for each of the last 15 years of which he entered the National every time and only won it this year.

You can get 20/1 on McIlroy :o

Is that Sammy? :lol:
Sammy h

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:11 pm

I think Capaldi is a credible candidate, he is also on a handout. Shoot Capaldi, shoot shoot Capaldi!!!!

I'd have no qualms if AP won it, even if he was on the ride that bumped my flutter into second in the Grand National!

Golf has had a bit of an image change in recent years. It's never stopped being an exclusive piss-up played by board members and coffin dodgers, but for some reason it's now a game for the masses. No matter how much they glam it up, it has to be one of the most boring sports out there to watch/be a spectator of. I can't wait until Crown Green Bowling captures the publics affections as vividly.
RedRedWine1

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:15 pm

The BBC usually seem to "arrange" for the sports team of the year award to go to a sport or event covered by them and Sky have the Ryder cup.

A P McCoy is favourite to win the main award.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:06 pm

I see Posh had cadged herself a ticket on the front row. Becks must be in for a prize.
marky No.1

Postby outsider » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:09 pm

The Power has atleast 1 vote ;)
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby bill ding » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:26 pm

outsider wrote:The Power has atleast 1 vote ;)

2 :D
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Amy doesn't look like she could throw a dart, never mind ride Arthur the way she does
marky No.1

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:49 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Amy doesn't look like she could throw a dart, never mind ride Arthur the way she does

I would think that Arthur enjoys it!
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:13 am

Maybe, but until a sled can communicate with us we will never know.

Phil Taylor looked the happiest "loser" I have ever seen. :lol:

Becks took his prize with great dignity and almost made Posh smile after his 3 minute ovation.

Well done to A.P. 8-)
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion