O/T Sheffield Wednesday libel case outcome

O/T Sheffield Wednesday libel case outcome

Postby rebus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 pm

I have just read this i think it was a topic on SV some time ago,if it has already ben covered on here then appologies to all!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... h.medialaw
REBUS
rebus

Re: O/T Sheffield Wednesday

Postby The Marksman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:34 am

One of the first few sentences:

"Rath, a German doctor, appears to have encouraged South Africans with HIV to stop using anti-retroviral drugs, and take his vitamin pills instead. Several of them died."

If you've got HIV, aren't you going to die anyway? What's the relevance of this sentence?
The Marksman

Postby Wednesdayite » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:43 am

That was featured on the wednesday websites and discussed at great lenth. It really has been acrimonious on both sides, and all its really done is damage the club more (although newcastle seem to have surpassed us in the feck up stakes of late).

That club could, and should have been up in the top half of the premier with the likes of villa and everton. Now we put the flags out if we beat burnley :(

and no one but no one is to mention bloody reading :oops:
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

The Marksman wrote:One of the first few sentences:

"Rath, a German doctor, appears to have encouraged South Africans with HIV to stop using anti-retroviral drugs, and take his vitamin pills instead. Several of them died."

If you've got HIV, aren't you going to die anyway? What's the relevance of this sentence?

If you haven't got HIV, aren't you going to die anyway?

The relevance (inference?) being they died earlier than they would have if they'd remained on anti-retrovirals. Bit like the BBC (again!) who wrote a headline regarding a new heart drug that it would "cut deaths by 10%". Given that death was, before that BBC miracle drug, generally considered to be 100% guaranteed, a 10% chance of immortality is pretty good! :roll:

Back to the original post, it is good to remind people as to why we are often found to be clearing up on here and why we don't let 'anything go'. Whether the law is an ass or not, it is still the law and it is still able to ruin peoples lives while lawyers get very rich!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Wednesdayite » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 am

very true keith, very true
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Re: O/T Sheffield Wednesday libel case outcome

Postby Posh » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Great article by George Monbiot and, yes, the libel laws should be changed. Just the threat of it based on the trivial matters is enough to lead to bankruptcy just trying to defend themselves.

However, this shouldn't allow people and companies carte blanche the opportunity to defame other people and businesses where it is clearly false or unfounded to the point. And it won't happen on here.

For example, calling Keith a cross-dressing McFly fan with a picture of Goebells on his wall is fine but calling him a cross-dressing McFly fan with a picture of Goebells on his wall AND a Liverpool and Lancaster City supporter would be enough to get yourself in front of Justice Beakie and thrown off this board forever!

Errr...
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby shrimper » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Posh wrote:but calling him a cross-dressing McFly fan with a picture of Goebells on his wall AND a Liverpool and Lancaster City supporter ..

That's not Keith.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Freez » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm

:D
Don't!
:lol:
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Posh » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Who? What?

:o :o :o

OK. It did cross my mind. :D
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:05 am

Posh wrote:For example, calling Keith a cross-dressing McFly fan with a picture of Goebells on his wall is fine

HOW DARE YOU!!!

I've never liked McFly, and the rest of it I told you in confidence!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Why no t » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:15 am

He's right he doesn't like Mcfly, but I seem to remember that he was devastated when Busted split. :lol:
Life without football is.......
Why no t

Return to General Discussion