o/t Liverpool tonight

o/t Liverpool tonight

Postby sgt major » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Doesnt matter if you support Liverpool or not (I dont), but Gerrards goal for them in Marseilles in the first half was world class - what a pity he cannot show the same form for England.
sgt major

Re: o/t Liverpool tonight

Postby Shrimpsscene » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:55 pm

fantastic goal mick
enjoying it whilst putting saturdays programme together!!!
a win tonight and its been a good few days for the reds!!!
Shrimpsscene

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 pm

sgt major wrote:Doesnt matter if you support Liverpool or not (I dont), but Gerrards goal for them in Marseilles in the first half was world class - what a pity he cannot show the same form for England.

Am I missing something - I'm sure when I got out of bed this morning I was a MORECAMBE fan - let's keep talk of Premier League Prima Donnas off this board. Ahh but a lot of folk want to be involved with teams at the top
:roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Phoenix

Postby Shrimpsscene » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Phoenix wrote:
sgt major wrote:Doesnt matter if you support Liverpool or not (I dont), but Gerrards goal for them in Marseilles in the first half was world class - what a pity he cannot show the same form for England.

Am I missing something - I'm sure when I got out of bed this morning I was a MORECAMBE fan - let's keep talk of Premier League Prima Donnas off this board. Ahh but a lot of folk want to be involved with teams at the top

youve missed a very very good goal............
Shrimpsscene

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:11 pm

The bit in italics, I didn't type that ockers. Sgt Major typed it earlier :lol:

I didn't miss the goal either :!:
Phoenix

Postby The Red Knight » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 pm

It amazed me that after he scored there was a comment made by one of the commentators along the lines of "can England afford to do without a player capable of moments of brilliance like that" and his co-commentator then so "no"!!!!!

What a load a crap, getting rid of Gerrard from the England team has been long over due, he's one of the worst offenders for turning it on for his club side and then strolling around like he doesn't give a shit as soon as he pulls on an England shirt.

It was proved in the Croatia game that the whole shape of the team is better off without him (and Beckham) and he shouldn't be first choice for England again as Frank Lampard is a superior player to him.
The Red Knight

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 pm

The Red Knight wrote:It amazed me that after he scored there was a comment made by one of the commentators along the lines of "can England afford to do without a player capable of moments of brilliance like that" and his co-commentator then so "no"!!!!!

What a load a crap, getting rid of Gerrard from the England team has been long over due, he's one of the worst offenders for turning it on for his club side and then strolling around like he doesn't give a shit as soon as he pulls on an England shirt.

It was proved in the Croatia game that the whole shape of the team is better off without him (and Beckham) and he shouldn't be first choice for England again as Frank Lampard is a superior player to him.

Oh my lord, this takes over from the biggest load of utter rubbish i have ever read in my life. Have you read this blokes autobiography? He puts his heart and soul into every game, club or country. End of story. How ridiculous that you question one of the most noble players this country has ever seen. And whats worse you say Fat Frank is a superior player. Deary me.
Bare Ben

Postby Muzzer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:49 pm

i dont like the guy, and i may get some stick for this from a few people but ben is right

although the media bums him, he is still a class player and how can you really fault how he plays for the country? sometimes he goes quiet, but he is a class player
what a stupid post red knight!
I can win a game of connect four in three moves ;)
Muzzer

Postby slackAlice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:50 pm

The Red Knight

Bare Ben has beat me to it ! We are all entitled to an opinion but this is absolute nonsense. Frank Lampard superior - my eye. Gerrard almost always puts a shift in whenever he plays for England or Liverpool. Not only did he score an absolute brilliant goal tonight , he takes the penalty twice - scoring both times. He truly is a world class player and England havn't got that many !

I think it must be a wind up to be honest !
slackAlice

Postby wijit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I thought both the first two goals (Marseille's included) were quality, Gerrards was the best I've seen for a while though. I'm with Muzzer though, the bloke is a git.
wijit

Postby Freez » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Both Gerrard and Lampard proved what great players they were tonight, both turned in exemplary performances.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Sam » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:08 pm

You got two tv's in the same room Freez? :o
Sam

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Sam wrote:You got two tv's in the same room Freez? :o

When Yozzer and Matty come to visit... probably :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby Mark S » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

wijit wrote:I thought both the first two goals (Marseille's included) were quality, Gerrards was the best I've seen for a while though. I'm with Muzzer though, the bloke is a git.

Genuinely confused about this.

Why is he a git? Genuine question. I said to my wife tonight what a good guy and great example he is. Twice tonight his character has been questioned. What has he said / done?
Mark S

Postby Joel Ninety » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Steven Gerrard didn't deserve to get an O.B.E. before Ryan Giggs did. That was an absolute disgrace.

He disappears pretty much every time he plays for England. He may have the occasional average game but the terrible ones far outweigh this.

And he should be shot for that horrible thing he's building in his garden.
Joel Ninety

Postby slackAlice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:58 pm

Joel Ninety

He disappears pretty much every time he plays for England. He may have the occasional average game but the terrible ones far outweigh this.

The England Fans

1 February 2008
Steven Gerrard
Steven Gerrard wins the Nationwide England Player of the Year after taking 22% of the fans' votes on TheFA.com

:roll: :o Which games did he disappear in then ?

Do you mean this one ?

The only England match that he missed during the year was the Germany friendly at Wembley in August
slackAlice

Postby B.H.C #3 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Something tells me Joel is a United fan haha.
B.H.C #3

Postby ezz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:16 am

Saying Lampard is better than Gerrard for England is a crime, wow we played well in one game against Croatia without him and everyone immediately thinks its because Gerrard wasn't playing. Infact it was because Walcott was playing and boy did he play!! With walcott playing like he is and Gerrard to come back in probably the best player in the world at picking out passes England may actually do well for once
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:48 am

Could I possibly state that they are, usually, BOTH not particularly eye-catching when they play for England. Especially when they play together...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby cultured » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 am

Bare Ben wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:It amazed me that after he scored there was a comment made by one of the commentators along the lines of "can England afford to do without a player capable of moments of brilliance like that" and his co-commentator then so "no"!!!!!

Oh my lord, this takes over from the biggest load of utter rubbish i have ever read in my life. Have you read this blokes autobiography? He puts his heart and soul into every game, club or country. End of story. How ridiculous that you question one of the most noble players this country has ever seen. And whats worse you say Fat Frank is a superior player. Deary me.

I think most men on this board would love to be as "Fat" as "Fat Frank". In a football team I put my heart and soul into every game. You wouldn't see me playing for England. Please don't confuse "attitude" with "ability".
cultured

Postby Sammy h » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am

Give me Barry anyday of the week.
Sammy h

Postby cultured » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:25 am

He's certainly better than any of Morecambes' current options.
cultured

Postby sgt major » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:26 am

Phoenix wrote:

Bria - Yes indeed I mentioned the Prima Donnas but I also applaud any good football - I just dont bang on about teams like Liverpool and Man Utd etc. My only team is MFC ;)
sgt major

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 am

Gerrard is a fantastic player, as is Lampard, as is Barry.

Barry gives consistently good performances for Villa and England. Gerrard and Lampard give consistently excellent (often absolutely superb) performances for Liverpool and Chelsea respectively. They are both 'stand out', 'first name on the teamsheet' players - even in club sides absolutely brimming with international superstars.

I can recall a few 'good' performances that each has made for England. I can vaguely recall a couple of very good ones that Gerrard has made for England.

I can't honestly (and I've no axe to grind with either of them, as I say they both seem honest professionals and are undeniably superb players) recall a single outstanding game either has played for England.

People say they can't play in the same team but they haven't really turned it on when they have been in England sides without the other.

And that, however you look at it, is a mystery.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ezz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:47 pm

Put it this way how many matches do they play for their clubs per season?.....around 50+.
They will play only about 10 for England a year which gives them 4-5times more matches a year to gel with their team and put in "outstanding" performances and score the outstanding goals like Gerrard scored last night. Gerrard particulary has put in outstanding performances playing for England against Germany when we won 5-1, apart from his back pass against France in the world cup he was probably one of our most influencial players probably out-shone by Rooney at the time but he ended up blowing and getting sent off. Fact is gerrard and Lampard can play together everyone who has een an england game can see it, Barry with one or the other brings the balance needed so one will have to drop its as simple as that.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Next

Return to General Discussion