World cup is coming to

Re: World cup is coming to

Postby shrimper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 pm

I understand what you're saying but I disagree with the gist of what you're recommending.

I don't like the ploy of 'playing the game' (even if that game is rotten to the core) in order to achieve an end result.

Germany won the bid a few years back so I suppose there was a recent precedent for a good bid winning it, which will have inspired our thinking and our policy of putting up as good a fight as we could, albeit a doomed one - as we only now have discovered.

I think, aside from the decision they've made, it's as much the message that FIFA have sent out to us, and the comments and actions of their members towards us this time, that has now got us despairing of the whole charade.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:23 pm

maybe the answer is to scrap meaningless tournaments like The Euro Championships , The African Nations Cup etc and play the World Cup every 2 years then everyone would have a fair chance to hold it :o
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Joe Oh wrote:However, I'm really amazed by the Qatar result in particular. Last year, a man was sentenced to 40 lashes for drinking alcohol. If you're gay you go to jail for 5 years. Women are second class citizens. It's 45 degrees in summer. Surely nobody is going to go!

If the stadia aren't completely covered then the fans will fry during a daytime game.
It'll be nigh on impossible for the players to play competitively, and conditions like that aren't the sort that they can acclimatise to either.
What are the fans expected to do on the 3 or 4 days inbetween matches? There is nothing to do.
Internal transport shouldn't be a problem though. Apparently most of the venues are within a 20 mile radius of each other.
And where are all the construction workers coming from? The sub-continent no doubt, paid peanuts, and living in 40 foot containers in the desert.
Incredible!
Plain Peter

Postby Christies Child » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Peter wrote:
Joe Oh wrote:However, I'm really amazed by the Qatar result in particular. Last year, a man was sentenced to 40 lashes for drinking alcohol. If you're gay you go to jail for 5 years. Women are second class citizens. It's 45 degrees in summer. Surely nobody is going to go!

If the stadia aren't completely covered then the fans will fry during a daytime game.
It'll be nigh on impossible for the players to play competitively, and conditions like that aren't the sort that they can acclimatise to either.
What are the fans expected to do on the 3 or 4 days inbetween matches? There is nothing to do.
Internal transport shouldn't be a problem though. Apparently most of the venues are within a 20 mile radius of each other.
And where are all the construction workers coming from? The sub-continent no doubt, paid peanuts, and living in 40 foot containers in the desert.
Incredible!

Could be a mass exodus from the West End!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:38 pm

What are the chances of 2014 in Brazil going to the wall.
There was a few minutes worth on Football Focus this lunchtime, and it looks like there is all the potential for major problems.
Plain Peter

Postby Sammy h » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Peter wrote:What are the chances of 2014 in Brazil going to the wall.
There was a few minutes worth on Football Focus this lunchtime, and it looks like there is all the potential for major problems.

I saw that. Some of the stadiums haven't even started being built yet.
Sammy h

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Sammy h wrote:I saw that. Some of the stadiums haven't even started being built yet.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.
Plain Peter

Postby outsider » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:44 pm

London Mayor Boris Johnson has revoked FIFA's free hotel rooms at the city's exclusive Dorchester hotel during the 2012 Olympic Games.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter and his team had been in line to benefit from the rooms during the two-week sporting extravaganza in the city.

However following the controversy of the 2018 World Cup vote, which saw England knocked out at the first-round stage with just two of a possible 22 votes from the FIFA executive committee, Johnson has decided that they should not receive the freebie.

He is yet to comment on the decision, which was taken after he met with Sebastian Coe, chairman of Olympic organising committee LOCOG - the body responsible for handing out the accommodation.

Russia was awarded the tournament and tiny gulf state Qatar the one four years later, which has led to a chorus of disapproval in the football world - and especially in England.

While you might not agree with everything he is/does he always make me smile
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby alwaysright » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:41 pm

ha ha well done Boris.
alwaysright

Postby durhamshrimp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:01 am

I was at the World Cup last night. It was great.
durhamshrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:I was at the World Cup last night. It was great.

What's the weather like in Virginia?
tiddlywinks.png
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby durhamshrimp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
durhamshrimp wrote:I was at the World Cup last night. It was great.

What's the weather like in Virginia?
tiddlywinks.png

Probably better than it was in Houghton-le-Spring.
durhamshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Houghton-Le-Spring ???!!!

I'm up there this week myself .. is it bad ??!!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:Probably better than it was in Houghton-le-Spring.

A Ha. Nothing for 2 in a bed 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby MfcChris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Support the Antarctica 2026 bid. More chance than England have :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Antarctica-2026-World-Cup-Bid/121922804539244
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Previous

Return to General Discussion