World cup is coming to

World cup is coming to

Postby halftimeresults » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Not England :(
halftimeresults

Re: World cup is coming to

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:35 pm

halftimeresults wrote:Not England :(

Yep while Blatter is still pratting about with his speech it has been revealed that England were knocked out in the first round of voting. Of course england are used to being knocked out in the early rounds anyway! It appears 2030 is the next possible slot?
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby halftimeresults » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:36 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
halftimeresults wrote:Not England :(

Yep while Blatter is still pratting about with his speech it has been revealed that England were knocked out in the first round of voting. Of course england are used to being knocked out in the early rounds anyway! It appears 2030 is the next possible slot?

Whats the point of going for the 2030,
Greenland will get that :roll:
halftimeresults

Postby George Dawes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Russia have no complaints there infront of the queue in my book
George Dawes

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Who said Abramovich had empty pockets!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
marky No.1

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Thought it would be and I'm going Qatar for 2022 been the money nation.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby halftimeresults » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:54 pm

England will host the 2015 Rugby world cup if that makes up for it :cry:
halftimeresults

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:09 pm

some nice long trips between venues.

That will be fun on Aeroflot :o
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Thing is they don't take the fans into consideration Russia & Qatar will be shocking for the fans.

They go on about putting the bid togethether with information about hotels, travel information etc but their only bothered about travel times for the FIFA delegates.
To be honest I don't know why they have to bother with all that and the presentations as they don't take any notice of it.

At least Spain didn't get it that would have been worse they just had it in 82 and they would be building the stadium on EU bailout money.

P/T Indie

Postby CASS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Apart from the oiling of palm's that COULD have gone on amongst the FIFA membership, it would seem that FIFA like to leave a legacy after the word cup. We seem to have everything in place which would hinder FIFA approving contracts for building etc. In other words...Best not.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:49 pm

In the paper a few back they went back to Suth Africa to see what legacy had been left. Most of the stadiums were been used as rugby grounds, some were just closed down and others had teams playing in them with crowds of just 2,000.

P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:54 pm

i think one of the factors with Russia was for political reasons trying to get them to come out of there shell and be more sociable in political terms on the world stage in terms of peace

it can only be a good thing them TV adverts from the 70s about what to do in the event of a nuclear bomb dropping on us still haunt me -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG3Kb12s16A
George Dawes

Postby SkinnyShrimp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 pm

The whole thinks stinks - one of the most corrupt nations in the world inviting one of the most corrupt sporting organisations in the world into its bed - and don't get me started about Qatar!

I don't think we would have won it anyway but those so called journalists from Panorama should hang thier heads in shame - exactly which public interest was it in to run that storey (which told us nothing that hadn't already been said) - The Russian public maybe?

As a nation of football fans we have been robbed by 22 clowns who have decided this on whose will pay them the most - not whose will give the best world cup

Not to mention our only chance of winning it again!
SkinnyShrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:47 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Thing is they don't take the fans into consideration Russia & Qatar will be shocking for the fans.

They go on about putting the bid togethether with information about hotels, travel information etc but their only bothered about travel times for the FIFA delegates.
To be honest I don't know why they have to bother with all that and the presentations as they don't take any notice of it.

At least Spain didn't get it that would have been worse they just had it in 82 and they would be building the stadium on EU bailout money.

Agreed it's all a load of crap and a waste of time! I for one will jnot be attending the 2018 world cup.
heysham_mfc

Postby The Fury » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:00 pm

SkinnyShrimp wrote:I don't think we would have won it anyway but those so called journalists from Panorama should hang thier heads in shame - exactly which public interest was it in to run that storey (which told us nothing that hadn't already been said) - The Russian public maybe?

Nonsense, there was plenty of new information contained in the programme exposing the extent of bribery and corruption in FIFA. It threw fresh allegations at Jack Warner, who has met with both David Cameron and Barrack Obama in recent times, as well as implicating two more members of the voting committee. Furthermore, the figures the Dutch scholar came up with suggested that, rather than enhancing our economy, the World Cup would jeopardise any recovery. Also, we gained insight into the fact that FIFA set demands upon host countries which significantly aid their own financial position.

Proper investigative journalism should be encouraged and, frankly, the BBC are virtually the only news corporation to present unbiased and unprejudiced reporting. Take a look at Sky News in contrast if you want cheap, biased journalism.

I think the backlash to Panorama has been shameful, particularly from those already in the media, who seem to be hitting spectacular new heights of hypocrisy. I couldn't avoid noticing the front page of The Sun the other day with its cringe-worthy attempt at patriotism by addressing an open letter to FIFA suggesting the BBC wanted to sabotage the bid. Inside, Ian Wright felt the BBC had "betrayed" the nation.

Eh? Betraying the nation - no betraying basic ethical obligations - would be to sit on new information highlighting the extent of FIFAs corruption in a misguided attempt at securing us a World Cup that, realistically, we were never going to get anyway; the committee were already against us for a variety of reasons.

FIFAs mantra is 'For the Good of the Game' and we know it's wrong. Until FIFA undergoes proper investigation and greater transparacy is attained then we may as well forget about trying to host the World Cup.

In another sense, there is a clear desire to select nations with an underdeveloped footballing infrastructure as host countries. I suspect this may be altered after the World Cup of 2022 in Qatar, which seems as though it might be an absolute disaster.
The Fury

Postby shrimpinho » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Initially disappointing, but in the long run do we really want to be involved with an organisation so corrupt and so wrong. Chief Football correspondent of sky sports, hit the nail on the head. This is not a legacy for football, this is Sepp Blatter's legacy. Before his time comes, he wants to be know as the man, who brought football, here, there and everywhere.

and whilst being bitter and cynical, but would it really surprise you, if corruption was a factor with this years vote?
its a system that needs completely changing, but like most things with FIFA it will never happen.

The damage was already done to our bid prior to this week, only one vote (the other being ours) clearly tells us that, but going to give praise to the guys over there, who did at most best in a losing battle.

London 2012 and England 2015 :)
shrimpinho

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:06 pm

it was no surprise really when you read between the lines of what Sepp Blatter was saying about legacy.

They see England with its Premier League and players like Ya Ya Toure earning £250,000 per week and thought we maybe have more interest in the commercial aspects of a World Cup than in a legacy.

its quite possible that anyone born after 1960 ish will never see a World Cup in England.

We could always bid for the Euro Championship again although no doubt Platini and his mates would sabotage that !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby wijit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:29 pm

I have a feeling Qatar will make an outstanding effort to put on one of the best World Cups ever. They will be going from scratch and will spare no expense in making it a visitors paradise. This is a nation trying to encourage foreign tourists.
wijit

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:09 am

wijit wrote:I have a feeling Qatar will make an outstanding effort to put on one of the best World Cups ever. They will be going from scratch and will spare no expense in making it a visitors paradise. This is a nation trying to encourage foreign tourists.

Qatar is the size of a postage stamp.
Scorching hot, with intense summer humidity.
No alcohol, unless you're in a 5*.
Shariah Law.
One airport.
Its only land border is with Saudi Arabia.
Should be fun.
Plain Peter

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 am

A great article here by Martin Samuel I think he sums it all up perfectly, although he normally does whatever the topic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335212/Martin-Samuel-FIFA-rotten-core-England-better-it.html

Can't believe Australia ony got one vote :o

P/T Indie

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Peter wrote:
wijit wrote:I have a feeling Qatar will make an outstanding effort to put on one of the best World Cups ever. They will be going from scratch and will spare no expense in making it a visitors paradise. This is a nation trying to encourage foreign tourists.

Qatar is the size of a postage stamp.
Scorching hot, with intense summer humidity.
No alcohol, unless you're in a 5*.
Shariah Law.
One airport.
Its only land border is with Saudi Arabia.
Should be fun.

"Anyone who can leaves Qatar for the summer"

Nice to see FIFA did their homework for this one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.qatarvisitor.com/index.php?cID=413&pID=1081
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Fury's spot on and I can't believe the backlash against the media who threw the spotlight on FIFA.
I don’t have any problem with the World Cup going to Russia.
We would have delivered a far better event in terms of stadia, transport infrastructure, accommodation, fans at the games and overall quality of fans’ experience.
But if countries where those aspects are less well developed never get the World Cup and events like it then it lessens the likelihood of them improving.
If it was ‘just’ about great technical bids then some countries would never get it and others would get it more than their share.
WE seemed to be trying to ‘invent’ things like ‘Football United’ etc to show how the World Cup in England would be used to further the game.
In contrast Russia may benefit genuinely in terms of new stadiums, new football development and, with the eyes of the footballing world on them, perhaps start to address the problems of violence and racism that still haunt the game there more than they do here.
That said, the whole fiasco needs debating seriously.
So - like Fury -I’m just not having the criticism of our media.
All they did was highlight FIFA as a bunch of amateurish, self-interested, corrupt and unelected primadonnas swanning around bestowing their event where they like and enjoying the lavish freebies from pandering bid countries for a few years before voting either for A) whoever they felt like all along regardless of the quality of their bid; B) whoever was prepared to give them big enough backhanders or C) whoever fitted the notional bill of ‘spreading the football gospel to the world’ best.
By openly stating that the English media had an effect on their decisions they have, at a stroke, confirmed all those media criticisms as being justified.
Otherwise they’d have stated that the decisions were made on proper criteria and the British media didn’t – and couldn’t possibly because they are too professional for all that – have any impact whatsoever.
What would all those spouting off about the BBC and newspaper revelations prefer? That we keep schtum in case we upset this bunch of fat-cat conmen? Surely we're above that?
In future they should just ask countries to send an A4 sheet saying ‘yes please, we’d like to host it’ and listing a dozen bullet points about why they should.
Then FIFA pick one, go on a visit to get more detail to make sure they’re happy – and that’s it.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Joe Oh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:14 pm

It seems like a waste of time complaining about it. The World Cup has gone to the two most oil rich nations in the bid. No surprise.

However, I'm really amazed by the Qatar result in particular. Last year, a man was sentenced to 40 lashes for drinking alcohol. If you're gay you go to jail for 5 years. Women are second class citizens. It's 45 degrees in summer. Surely nobody is going to go!

I'm actually really pleased the BBC aired that investigation when they did. We wouldn't have got the bid anyway and airing it when they did made sure it got the maximum amount of attention. I just hope they follow it up- particularly the allegations around Jack Warner. It makes me sick to see our Prime Minister and future King sucking up to such a blatantly corrupt exec.
Joe Oh

Postby shrimper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:21 pm

To be fair to Cameron (did I just say that!?) he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. I think it was right to show the Government's full support for our bid.

But I generally agree that now there should be a full debate about the whole process and FIFA in general - and at least (thanks to the Beeb) we can say it's not just sour grapes after the event!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby SkinnyShrimp » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Shrimper & Fury whilst I understand exactly what you are saying, unfortunately we don't make the rules. We can't change FIFA into an honest, democratic reasonable decision making organisation. We can't make FIFA play fair and award World Cups on merit - or even ensure that those nations whose are considered as major forces in the game are given equal opportunity to host the competition they helped create- its 44 years since we had it and we invented the bloody game! Its our national sport so when you say you have no problem with Russia being awarded I assume you do so safe in the knowledge that you won't experience any of the problems that those who might want to go will face - hey its all the same on the TV who cares?
And yes our fantastic media has exposed this sham so lets all rejoice and sit back and wallow in our self righteousness…………whilst the rest of the world play the by a different set of rules and move on regardless of what we say. Hopefully in time everyone else will wake up and realise that this situation can’t go on and that the whole process needs changing to become transparent, democratic and beyond reproach – shame that whilst we wait for this to happen many generations of football fans in this country will never see England host a World Cup final and we will forsake our best opportunity of ever winning the World Cup again – brilliant – well forgive me for being p*ssed at the BBC for showing this 3 days before the vote – and I have to pay a license fee to these lot!? – unpatriotic is the best word I could use to describe them. And Shrimper yes I would rather we had kept quiet – apparently we spent over £400 million on this bid only to take the biggest shot gun we could find and blow both our feet clean off – fantastic.
We need to adapt to situations sometimes and realise no matter how much we don’t like it we got to work with it – after all had we won the bid we would have stood a much better chance of influencing FIFA that we do now.
Just like when those sly, devious foreigners brought diving into our beloved game we made a moral stand didn't we? - Yes we decided we couldn't beat it so now we embrace it and some of our top players are just as bad as they are. No it’s not right. No I don't like it. But in order to move forward you take the pragmatic approach. You might think it’s great that our free press have identified what a corrupt bunch of cronies they are but what good has it done for us?
Over £400 million wasted, our Prime Minister, future King and the world’s most famous footballer all humiliated – yes I bet they can’t wait to get home and thank the BBC for backing our bid.
I do agree with freedom of speech and I do 100% support the concept of a free media but surely, surely, surely some common sense needs applying to certain situations for the good of the nation?
Next thing we know they will be publishing top secret cables that threaten the stability of the worlds most volatile regions – but hey you should be able to say what you want when you want to whoever you want – to hell with the consequences.
SkinnyShrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion