Time for a change in tactics?

Time for a change in tactics?

Postby Christies Child » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:49 am

Week in and week out, the overall style of play remains the same.

Midfielder gets the ball. Advances a couple of yards. Stops. Passes either sideways or backwards for the receiver to hoof the ball forward (mainly in the air, although a bit more on the ground yesterday). Opposition centre half close marks our striker. Wins the ball in the air and starts an opposition attack. OK rather a simplistic view, but a fair assessment of our general play.

What is needed are midfield runners who attack the opposition. Defenders hate being run at. Yet time after time yesterday, Stanners and co stopped when they could have attacked or at the very least advanced another 10 yards.

I've just watched MotD and an increasing number of attacking players in the oppositions box seems to be a common thread throughout the game at the moment. At times there have been at least 4 attacking players in the box looking for that cross or opportunities to score by whatever means. Oh how I wish we could be like that.

Maybe it's time for a complete change of tactics. I well recall the days when goal scoring was never a problem. Let's get back to basics and provide some entertainment. A crowd of just over 1700, comprising of circa 300 Crewe fans is a reflection that in many peoples minds we just do not provide enough entertainment. The manager picks the team and dictates tactics. Time for at the very least a change in tactics..........and more shots on target. 19 in total yesterday but only 5 on target :?: :?: :?:

Rant over..... :oops:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Time for a change in tactics?

Postby The Bay » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:07 am

According to my notes, we actually had ten shots on target, plus the goal, hit the post twice and the penalty miss.

Most of these (6) came from Spencer, including an excellent turn and shot in the first half which was heading for the top corner before being turned over. Also a 25 yard curler from Stanners which was going in the bottom corner - again saved.

Thought Charnock looked very good too.
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Postby Christies Child » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:14 am

Match stats from sportinglife.com-football web site.

Totally agree about Charnock and on reflection agree with McCreedy being replaced as Donaldson was running him ragged. Interestingly after that Donaldson wasn't able to outpace Parrish so easily.

As for the penalty, it was obvious that when Arts went to their goalkeeper he was passing him info about PJ's usual placement. Maybe then was the time for somebody else to step forward to put some doubts in the goalkeepers mind?

OK on reflection I suppose!
Last edited by Christies Child on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:18 am

I thought we defended too high up the pitch when you take into account Donaldson's pace.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:22 am

they had a few offsides due to a crap liner, they also should have had 2 pens in the first half, 2 1 flattered us :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby broadwayshrimp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:23 am

Christies Child wrote: A crowd of just over 1700, comprising of circa 300 Crewe fans is a reflection that in many peoples minds we just do not provide enough entertainment.

Disagee. Imo it is a reflection that we are not winning games and are sat at the wrong end of the table. Let's face it there are ca 1500 diehards who turn up most weeks win lose or draw, the rest are only interested in watching a winning team. I reckon if we were in the top 3, even playing unadventurous football, we might well get 2500+ every game.
broadwayshrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:24 am

What is needed are midfield runners who attack the opposition. Defenders hate being run at. Yet time after time yesterday, Stanners and co stopped when they could have attacked or at the very least advanced another 10 yards

Brown in central midfield is capable of bringing the ball fowrard and attacking but! not with Hunter like in the last home match when we lost the midfield and the match

it's about the right balance i think a central midfield partnership with Brown & Stanley would work but not with Hunter he's to lightweight in central midfield
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:26 am

broadwayshrimp wrote:
Christies Child wrote: A crowd of just over 1700, comprising of circa 300 Crewe fans is a reflection that in many peoples minds we just do not provide enough entertainment.

Disagee. Imo it is a reflection that we are not winning games and are sat at the wrong end of the table. Let's face it there are ca 1500 diehards who turn up most weeks win lose or draw, the rest are only interested in watching a winning team. I reckon if we were in the top 3, even playing unadventurous football, we might well get 2500+ every game.

..whatever it is, I#d hate to think that it is a sign of what could become a regular figure. Up until now we've increased our gates over last season at the same stage with roughly the same results.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:28 am

broadwayshrimp wrote:

agreed. William G Stewart on 15 to 1 once made the comment that it is better to win the worst ever cup final 1 - 0 than to lose the best ever cup final 5-4.

If we were grinding out lots of 1-0 home wins and were at the top end of the table crowds would have held up.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby broadwayshrimp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 am

Christies Child wrote:..whatever it is, I#d hate to think that it is a sign of what could become a regular figure.

and so would I. Ever since we got into the football league I've wondered what the cowds would be like particularly if we struggled to win games on a regular basis. Is this the answer?
broadwayshrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:16 am

the hard core support are behind the goals, the dust has settled and the main stand is 2 thirds empty, the cucumber sandwiches are unsold, why were two members of the happy mondays here yesterday :?:
mrpotatohead

Postby Sammy h » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:28 am

We win games we get more fans. We lose games we get less. Simple.

Doesn't matter what the quality of football is like. If we are in the top 3 we would get more fans.
Sammy h

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:agreed. William G Stewart on 15 to 1 once made the comment that it is better to win the worst ever cup final 1 - 0 than to lose the best ever cup final 5-4.

If we were grinding out lots of 1-0 home wins and were at the top end of the table crowds would have held up.

But it is better to lose the best ever cup final 5-4 than to lose the worst ever cup final 1-0.

If we were losing but entertaining more people would have kept coming. If the MBW stand had the same facilities and 'match day experience' as The North Stand more people would have kept coming (I had a KFC before the game rather than an over priced crap pie and pea water). I'd even go so far as to say if The Globe had opened on time and the 'teething problems' had been sorted during the pre-season we'd have more people watching.

So yes, winning is one of the key factors for attracting more fans but there are other issues. In my opinion, some of the issues are (or at least were) addressable when they were first raised. New ground and beating Coventry, we should be enjoying this season. That many aren't, is quite sad and a worry. While doing things like sorting the catering, or at minimum, the club making a statement to say they will sort something out next summer, won't bring fans back now, it may make some of those who are becoming disillusioned stay with us. But the real change now must begin on the pitch. We need to be entertaining AND winning to get people back.

Last season, the amazing come-back against Crewe really gave us the momentum to push for the play offs. Perhaps this season losing to Crewe will galvanise us and become the turning point for our season?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sammy h » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:41 am

Keith wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:agreed. William G Stewart on 15 to 1 once made the comment that it is better to win the worst ever cup final 1 - 0 than to lose the best ever cup final 5-4.

But it is better to lose the best ever cup final 5-4 than to lose the worst ever cup final 1-0.

If we were losing but entertaining more people would have kept coming. If the MBW stand had the same facilities and 'match day experience' as The North Stand more people would have kept coming (I had a KFC before the game rather than an over priced crap pie and pea water). I'd even go so far as to say if The Globe had opened on time and the 'teething problems' had been sorted during the pre-season we'd have more people watching.

So yes, winning is one of the key factors for attracting more fans but there are other issues. In my opinion, some of the issues are (or at least were) addressable when they were first raised. New ground and beating Coventry, we should be enjoying this season. That many aren't, is quite sad and a worry. While doing things like sorting the catering, or at minimum, the club making a statement to say they will sort something out next summer, won't bring fans back now, it may make some of those who are becoming disillusioned stay with us. But the real change now must begin on the pitch. We need to be entertaining AND winning to get people back.

Last season, the amazing come-back against Crewe really gave us the momentum to push for the play offs. Perhaps this season losing to Crewe will galvanise us and become the turning point for our season?

He said WIN the worst cup final 1-0.
Sammy h

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:48 am

HMMM, missed chances seems to be the catchphrase of the day, keith ate at kfc, i ate at atkinsons, CC does not have to guard the peanuts any more coz they are no longer provided.

I have planted raddish seeds on our wasteland at the front, feel free to tuck in in 3 to 4 weeks.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Sammy h wrote:
Keith wrote:

He said WIN the worst cup final 1-0.

Err yes... but we aren't winning badly are we? Therefore, we are losing. Therefore I said it is better to lose the best ever cup final 5-4 than to lose the worst ever cup final 1-0. to really spell it out, in order of preference...

1. Win the best ever cup final 5-4
2. Win the worst ever cup final 1-0
3. Lose the best ever cup final 4-5
4. Lose the worst ever cup final 0-1

Currently we are losing the worst ever cup final 0-1 most weeks. That means we aren't winning (which people like most) or being entertaining (which people do like).

Is that a bit clearer? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sammy h » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Sorry Kieth. I mis read your post. No need to be like that, get up on the wrong side of the bed? :lol:
Sammy h

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Sammy h wrote:Sorry Kieth. I mis read your post. No need to be like that, get up on the wrong side of the bed? :lol:

He hates it when people spell names wrong, especially his :lol:

PS Sammy what was the scuffle after the game all about :lol: :lol:

Wasn't you round was it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby steve mfc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:50 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:

Very true, our average is 2,411 and Dagenham in their first season in league 1, 2,610.

Both at the wrong end of the table, its all about results.
steve mfc

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:56 pm

No need for a change in tactics. We simply need a proper striker who can worry the opposition in their penalty area. If Sammy doesn't walk soon he has to make an aggressive striker a priority.

Duffy is playing great football and providing all the ammunition a winning striker needs to score goals and other players are getting the crosses in. Spencer is full of potential but isn't the answer. Mullin plays his holding role brilliantly, so brilliantly in fact that he neglects his other role, goalscorer. Can't ask a lot more of Jevons.
Caged Lion

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:04 pm

four four two, with eleven players using their common sense and doing the job they are well paid to do, non of this i am left footed malarky, when i was a kid we could all write with both feet :!:

Carvery dinner then a sprint up warton crag every day is the key to success.

yeahwow can have beans and rice followed by a giant spliff if he signs :!:
mrpotatohead

Postby mfcbro » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Dont worry ive heard we a signing another defender this week.
mfcbro

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:38 pm

mfcbro wrote:Dont worry ive heard we a signing another defender this week.

as the emergency loan window closed last Thursday until January its not very likely.

unless it was someone who had no club :shock: :shock:
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
mfcbro wrote:Dont worry ive heard we a signing another defender this week.

as the emergency loan window closed last Thursday until January its not very likely.

unless it was someone who had no club :shock: :shock:

i think he was being sarcastic meaning how many more defenders do we need to go through
George Dawes

Postby Sammy h » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:07 pm

morecambe mick wrote:
Sammy h wrote:Sorry Kieth. I mis read your post. No need to be like that, get up on the wrong side of the bed? :lol:

He hates it when people spell names wrong, especially his :lol:

PS Sammy what was the scuffle after the game all about :lol: :lol:

Wasn't you round was it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who hate it Kieth?

Yeah I remember the scuffle well, you best ask Bare Ben he was the instigator, trying to find Happy Harry apparently. :lol:
Sammy h

Return to General Discussion