Artell on Morecambe return

Artell on Morecambe return

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:32 pm

heysham_mfc

Re: Artell on Morecambe return

Postby Crooky MFC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:59 pm

What a guy! Spoke to him at the presentation night last year, has nothing but respect for the club and fans. He'll get a great reception im sure!
Crooky MFC

Postby Joe Oh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Top bloke.

He was absolutely immense for us against Crewe last year. He's a huge threat from set pieces. I was sad to see him go.
Joe Oh

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:34 pm

Joe Oh wrote:Top bloke.

He was absolutely immense for us against Crewe last year. He's a huge threat from set pieces. I was sad to see him go.

And at home v. Macclesfield, and away at Shrewsbury etc etc etc .....
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Sammy h » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:34 pm

One of our biggest mistakes letting this lad go.
Sammy h

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Was a great player but i honestly think McCready is better than him at defending and has shown the ability to be decent attacking a corner. Not a major loss, but a top guy :)
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Morecambe Jack » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:30 pm

For me, we wouldn't have got in the playoffs last year without Dave Artell. Other people might disagree but he was instrumental in that Crewe game which IMO started our playoff push, then provided some vital goals notably at Shrewsbury where he was immense.

I also doubt we would be conceding as many goals through set pieces if Arts was in our defence.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Posh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:Was a great player but i honestly think McCready is better than him at defending and has shown the ability to be decent attacking a corner. Not a major loss, but a top guy :)

I would agree based on what we've seen of McCready on defending alone. However while you've mentioned his attacking abilities, you've missed his influence in the dressing room, which I've heard was massive; his leadership on the pitch, which in the absence of Bents there is little of outfield; and also his intelligence - I know of two penalties where he knew which way the player was going to go and they were saved because Roachey credited him with telling him, and he also watch other players and fed that back, e.g. Aaron Taylor's goal at home to Chester where all the players ran to Dave Artell because it was he who had watched Chester and knew the keeper liked to stand near the back post on corners. For those reasons and because he was a damn good bloke I think he's a major loss.

EDIT: To echo Morecambe Jack's comments I also think he that bit of extra spirit and passion that helps turn games and lifts colleagues. Again we've missed that at times.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Posh wrote:
Matty the Shrimp wrote:Was a great player but i honestly think McCready is better than him at defending and has shown the ability to be decent attacking a corner. Not a major loss, but a top guy :)

I would agree based on what we've seen of McCready on defending alone. However while you've mentioned his attacking abilities, you've missed his influence in the dressing room, which I've heard was massive; his leadership on the pitch, which in the absence of Bents there is little of outfield; and also his intelligence - I know of two penalties where he knew which way the player was going to go and they were saved because Roachey credited him with telling him, and he also watch other players and fed that back, e.g. Aaron Taylor's goal at home to Chester where all the players ran to Dave Artell because it was he who had watched Chester and knew the keeper liked to stand near the back post on corners. For those reasons and because he was a damn good bloke I think he's a major loss.

EDIT: To echo Morecambe Jack's comments I also think he that bit of extra spirit and passion that helps turn games and lifts colleagues. Again we've missed that at times.

All true BUT was terrible in his distribution, something that McCreedy is better.

Listening to our Manager on the radio today, it's obvious that they had numerous fall outs and that I suspect is a contributing reason for him not being offered a 2 year deal which he wanted. We all know that Sammy doesn't like to be challenged about anything INCLUDING the opinions expressed by fans!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Another thing i like about McCready is his passion, even after being with us for just over 4 months after winning matches (not many i know) :lol: he always really makes the effort to apploaud the crowd, i like that in players.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Sammy h » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Is there anyone who thinks the club were right in only offering him a 1 year deal and not a 2 year one?

I doubt it.
Sammy h

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Sammy h wrote:One of our biggest mistakes letting this lad go.

Agreed, He for me was one of our best defenders of the last decade.
thegentlegiant

Postby steve mfc » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:06 pm

As far as im concerned he should have been offered a two year contract and its not about who is better Artell or McCreedy because IMO they would have formed a very good partnership in the centre of defence with Parish and Wilson as the full backs.
steve mfc

Postby marky » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Sammy h wrote:Is there anyone who thinks the club were right in only offering him a 1 year deal and not a 2 year one?

I doubt it.

I agreed with the decision to only offer a one year deal and I know a number of people who wouldn't have even offered him that!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:19 pm

To say he was one of the best defenders at the club is a little over the top.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:23 pm

most people you speak to on matchdays seem to think we should have done more to keep him,dario grady saw fit to make him skipper,and his goals from set pieces were vital to us, shame he has gone, i am sure his wel;come will be excellent from our fans.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 pm

I'll certainly be giving him a good welcome :)
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:I'll certainly be giving him a good welcome :)

So will I BUT I'm glad we've got McCreedy who (other than the goals) offers so much more.

Will be interesting to see how the fans react to Capaldi romorrow who is in line to take over from Willow.

He'll be getting a good reception for me and others I'm sure.
Christies Child

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Christies Child wrote:

So will I BUT I'm glad we've got McCreedy who (other than the goals) offers so much more.

Will be interesting to see how the fans react to Capaldi romorrow who is in line to take over from Willow.

I feel the same about McCready. Defenitley a better defensive player.

As for Capaldi, his throwins could be vital against a shakey defence. Also he has to be given a chance. Same goes for Shuker.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Sammy h » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Christies Child wrote:

CC, seriously? You have to be either Irish or his agent. Why are you so fonf of Mr Capaldi???

There is no need for him to play tomorrow, I hope he doesn't.
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Sammy h wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

CC, seriously? You have to be either Irish or his agent. Why are you so fonf of Mr Capaldi???

There is no need for him to play tomorrow, I hope he doesn't.

Willow is injured , so according to the manager Capaldi is in line to play.

To answer your question about why I like the guy...I'll ask you what you've got against him? So the guy has given a few goals away. Didn't Artel and hasn't Jimbo in fact defenders in general?

I just don't understand all this negativity about the player. :?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:25 pm

If Capaldi plays then either Parrish or Haining miss out, presuming that Charnock will partner McCready. Personally my back four would be: Haining McCready Charnock Parrish
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:56 am

seasonsinthesun wrote:. Personally my back four would be: Haining McCready Charnock Parrish

That would be 50% out of position. I prefer our tried and tested 33% out if position myself 8-)

All looks a bit Shit for Garry Hunter unfortunately.

As to Shuker and Capaldi, I think it is pointless keeping them on the sidelines. If 1 or 2 are out it is an opportunity for them to show us why they have been brought here in the first place
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby mfcbro » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:31 am

Seem to remember Charnock is left footed so play
Charnock,McCreadie,Bentley,Parrish.
mfcbro

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Posh wrote:I know of two penalties where he knew which way the player was going to go and they were saved...

You can make that three now :cry: Given that we already knew Arts had spoken to their keeper, why Jevons didn't just blast it down the centre, to do something different, I don't know.

Christies Child wrote:we've got McCreedy who (other than the goals) offers so much more.

Its a good job scoring goals isn't a problem for us then eh? Dave's scored enough goals so far this season that he'd be our joint top scorer (or pretty close to top anyway).
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion