Drummy and Fleming

Drummy and Fleming

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:45 pm

IF the signing of Andy Fleming comes off, I can see Drummy taking up a position in the centre of defence sooner rather than later.

I've long been of the opinion that ultimately that that is where he will become a key figure in our reorganised defence alongside Will.

It might well be that IF Jimbo decides to relinquish the role of Captain on the field (but retains the title of Club Captain) as he makes the transition to Player Coach that Drummy becomes the Captain on the field.

JH always saw Drummy as the ideal footballing centre half. Maybe in this instance he and Sammy may be in agreement.

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Drummy and Fleming

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 am

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/w ... -26847895/

Sammy watches Fleming in a pre-season friendly
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:46 am

I've got people at my Wrexham depot for the company I work for who have family who watch Wrexham on a regular basis, so I asked the question about what this lad Fleming was like !

Here is the reply I got :

Ian had never heard of him but my Dad said he has seen him play a few times.
He said he is a little light weight but a very good player on the ball . He is still young so he has got time to fill out and has got a lot of potential.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby mfcbro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Dont see any reason why Drummy should be a centre half.If we are to push on this season i dont believe we should play players out of position.If and when we need another centre half i trust sammy will bring one in.On the point of Jimbo moving over i dont think he should be written off just yet.Player/coach is as it says player foremost coach second.Knowing him as i do i think he will come back more determined as ever this season to keep his place.We only have to look at what happened to England by playing players out of position.I.M.O. i dont think Drummy will ever be a centre half at Morecambe only as cover if players are injured.
mfcbro

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Who in the world is Andy Fleming?

If he's a lightweight Conference midfielder then why would we be looking at another Michael Carr?

I don't know how many times you've said about yourself considering Stew Drummond as a good 'footballing centre half' but he is excellent in midfield for us and older than Jimbo, why move him to a position that requires more pace?
Harry

Postby darrenlock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Would you say that Gary Hunter is a lightweight footballer then.

This young lad has alot of potential and could be a excellent signing and could be starting for Morecambe come not this season but the following season.

And with Stewart Drummond do you not think he wont be good enough to be a center back I spoke to a fellow Morecambe fan earlier at the job center and he was thinking maybe this signing could mean that , Drummond could replace Bentley
darrenlock

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:20 pm

darrenlock wrote:Would you say that Gary Hunter is a lightweight footballer then.

This young lad has alot of potential and could be a excellent signing and could be starting for Morecambe come not this season but the following season.

And with Stewart Drummond do you not think he wont be good enough to be a center back I spoke to a fellow Morecambe fan earlier at the job center and he was thinking maybe this signing could mean that , Drummond could replace Bentley

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby marky » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:38 pm

When Scott signed, there were a number of contributors on this forum who were suggesting he would be playing the the holding role. A month or so later and hardly anyone is suggesting that and have him playing at right back or in defence. Obviously it depends who else we sign but I don't see a role of Drummond OR Bentley in our first choice starting line up. As Shrimper has said, to move forward some of last year's regulars will have to make the move to second, third of fourth choice in their respective positions. Drummond is one of those who I personally feel that, whilst he undoubtedly still has plenty more to give for us, will probably have a lesser part to play this season. I certainly wouldn't recommend moving him into the centre of defence, particularly if Haining stays. I would have thought either Parrish or Scott would be better placed for that spot of those currently on our books and Sammy has been pretty clear about his intentions re: improving our side in that area.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 pm

if we do get Flemming i dont think SM will sign anybody else in midfield(we will then have enough)

then he will almost definitely go and sign at least one more defender, i think that goes without saying

and i like Drummond he still as a lot to offer but i dont think SM will see's him as a defender on a permanent basis.
George Dawes

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:48 pm

darrenlock wrote:Would you say that Gary Hunter is a lightweight footballer then.

Garry Hunter is a lightweight individual but with bags of gumption and willingness on the football field, and has undoubted quality (voted Sky Sports Goal of the Week tied with Cristiano Ronaldo last season) however I'm concerned we're again looking to players in a lower league to our own, especially when this fella is saying he thinks League 2 is less physical than the Conference (questionable), maybe suggests he doesn't have the fight or guile to be a first team regular.

If you think he could start for us in the 2011/12 season and SMc trusts Darren Lock's magic prediction skillz, it'd be better to sign him in 12 months' time as he'd be out of contract then. IMO we should be signing quality and 'demoting' previous first teamers to backup, improving the standard rather than bringing in a bunch of ringers (which is not what I'm suggesting we are doing)

Drummond is good in the air, a good tackler and has excellent distribution however I don't think he has the pace to be a centre back and his talent would be wasted there rather than in central midfield.
Harry

Postby marky » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Harry, one only needs to look at Dagenham & Redbridge to see how bringing players in from levels below our own can really pay dividends. Whilst we were undoubtedly stung by the Michael Carr situation, I prefer to look at the likes of Carl Baker and Mark Duffy when considering lower league players. Fleming is seen as a starlet in a league that is only one step down from our own. It is no different to a league 2 player making the step up the league 1. Besides which, I'd much rather we brought Fleming to the club than some lower football league journeyman in the twilight of their career who we stand to get no more than 1 or 2 years worth of service with no possibility of a lucrative resale, regardless of their so-called 'quality'. Fleming is exactly the kind of player we need to bring to the club, both for short term gain and longer term financial reward.
marky

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:11 pm

marky wrote:Harry, one only needs to look at Dagenham & Redbridge to see how bringing players in from levels below our own can really pay dividends. Whilst we were undoubtedly stung by the Michael Carr situation, I prefer to look at the likes of Carl Baker and Mark Duffy when considering lower league players. Fleming is seen as a starlet in a league that is only one step down from our own. It is no different to a league 2 player making the step up the league 1. Besides which, I'd much rather we brought Fleming to the club than some lower football league journeyman in the twilight of their career who we stand to get no more than 1 or 2 years worth of service with no possibility of a lucrative resale, regardless of their so-called 'quality'. Fleming is exactly the kind of player we need to bring to the club, both for short term gain and longer term financial reward.

Bloody hell, a Marky post that I agree with entirely!

marky wrote:Obviously it depends who else we sign but I don't see a role of Drummond OR Bentley in our first choice starting line up. As Shrimper has said, to move forward some of last year's regulars will have to make the move to second, third of fourth choice in their respective positions. Drummond is one of those who I personally feel that, whilst he undoubtedly still has plenty more to give for us, will probably have a lesser part to play this season. I certainly wouldn't recommend moving him into the centre of defence, particularly if Haining stays. I would have thought either Parrish or Scott would be better placed for that spot of those currently on our books and Sammy has been pretty clear about his intentions re: improving our side in that area.

Ah, it's okay, normal service is resumed! It's also about having 'leaders' on the pitch. Plus, I think, barring a top quality signing, Jimbo still has a full season in him. There is a difference between moving some of last seasons "regulars" to the bench compared to last seasons "first name on the sheet players".
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm not sure I'd describe Drummond as a first name on the team sheet player. Like all our midfielders, he had his periods on the bench. I also believe Jim Bentley has more than enough on his plate what with coaching and managing the reserves without leading our defence as well. I'm not suggesting he should retire but realistically he probably will have more of a back up role to play.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Ah, it's okay, normal service is resumed! It's also about having 'leaders' on the pitch. Plus, I think, barring a top quality signing, Jimbo still has a full season in him. There is a difference between moving some of last seasons "regulars" to the bench compared to last seasons "first name on the sheet players".

i agree with Keith, on the grounds we have already lost a leader in Artell, i couldn't care less about him looking sexy on the ball he is a defender first & foremost and a good one at that

note! i think the Moose will prove a big loss this season mark my words!
George Dawes

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:50 pm

I have said time and time again on this message board how good dave artell is and got shot down in flames..funny now he has gone people are saying hes going to be a loss. I remember the same happening with lots of other players too in the past
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:14 pm

well i have never slated him. he was one of the first names down on my team sheet
George Dawes

Postby marky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Well I'll be consistent and say his loss doesn't bother me at all. Made me laugh a little when I saw Crewe fans saying he'd hopefully end their defensive tendency to just lump the ball forward aimlessly ;) Did a job for us but life moves on :)

Which reminds me, I never responded to this...

Keith wrote:It's also about having 'leaders' on the pitch

This is an interesting subject because I have been wondering who our new first team captain would/should be. I truly believe that Jim Bentley's new roles will see him take a step back from regular first team action which would necessitate a new captain. Despite being, according to wikipedia, vice captain, Drummond was generally overlooked in favour of Artell for that role last season. I'm therefore not convinced he'll be favourite to take it on this time round. But who else is there? Only time will tell but it might go to Haining as a carrot to keep him here or how about a totally random one like Stanley? Could be the making of him ;)
marky

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:28 pm

Garry Hunter, should he be a first teamer this season?

Barry Roche?
Harry

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Harry wrote:Garry Hunter, should he be a first teamer this season?

Barry Roche?

no - a squad player according to Sammy on the radio.

Captain could be permed from Drummy , Scott , Bentley or outsider a keeper Barry Roche
Dino Zoff did a good job.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 pm

to be fair, quite a few of us rated Artell highly and said so.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion