Sunset Over Christie Park

Sunset Over Christie Park

Postby bigreddog » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:52 am

Just wanted to say, having read this book from cover to cover today, what an incredible, inspirational, funny, heart warming, sad, humbling, breath taking read it is. Beautifully put together by Quinny, the articles by Morecambe legends like Coley, Ian Cain, Jim Bentley and Keith Galley give a wonderful insight into what the experience of playing for the Shrimps is. Memories from the likes of Tom Sawyer, Les Dewhirst, Dickie Danson and Rod Taylor ( the heartbeat of the club), who have given so much to the club over the years show just how much a part of the fabric of the club both directors and volunteers are. The really touching part, from my point of view, was reading the stories from the fans who have followed the club the length and breadth of the country, in good times and bad (and in recent times mainly good) and have come together to form the Morecambe family. There's not too many other places where a solicitor, bin man, web designer, engineer, postman, nurse, antiques dealer and caravan salesman can be stood along from eachother all singing the same songs, supporting the same cause. That's the real miracle of football, and it's captured in Quinny's book. If you are a football fan of any club, or a shrimps fan, or you just like a book that reflects real humanity, then this book is a must. Buy it and read it and feel better having done so.

hope you don't mind me going on about it, but it is very very good.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Re: Sunset Over Christie Park

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:54 am

Here , here Darren , well said . Merry Christmas BTW. Cya tomorrow. for the fans night out. :D Could be there a bit earlier :o
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:49 pm

I echo these thoughts and feel every fan (particularly those on this board) should read this book as it really captures the essence of the club.

Many have questioned whether the club has lost some of its soul by moving grounds but it is really the people that make it what it is. As long as they continue to support the club in the right way then this will never be lost.

Particularly enjoyed reading John Coleman, who painted a great picture of the spirit the club had back in the early/mid 90s. I for one would love to have a man of his passion at the helm one day. Also pretty chuffed that I got a page of my own. Top read! :lol:
Wild Bill

Postby Bryan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:20 pm

The other half got me a copy for Christmas day. Highly reccomended for all Shrimps fans as the stories within cover pretty well the post war period of the club to the present day. The tale's i liked best were the more obscure ones. It's surprising what sticks in fan's minds. The Non-League days were like that though.

But clearly for newer Morecambe supporters there is a bit of history here that can be referenced and nostalgia for the more August Morecambe supporter.
Bryan

Postby MfcChris » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:43 pm

One will be purchasing with my £50 gift voucher :D
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby The Voice » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:15 am

Fantastic job by Quinny. I have loved every page and it stirred emotions in me. I miss Christie Park.

Quinny, congratulations, you have kept the spirit alive and made many fans happy this Christmas. Well done!
The Voice

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:00 am

Well worth waiting for Quinny, just got round to finishing it. Certainly one of the highlights of this season.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion