Word of caution on Sammy's new players

Word of caution on Sammy's new players

Postby Ned » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:14 pm

A word of caution on Sammy’s intentions to sign new players in January. Any better quality players would be welcome as the league table does not lie and at present we are involved in a relegation battle. The fact that Sammy has identified 3 specific players has given optimism to supporters that we can pull away from the drop zone sooner rather then later. In fact supporters are now trying to second guess the names of the players thinking they are a done deal waiting to happen. However a word of caution, unless Sammy has already got their signatures then there is no guarantee anything will come of it. In fact each close season Sammy identifies the players he wants that will strengthen the team (basically a wish list that anyone can do) and then when the board cannot afford or attract the said players then he does not accept the blame. It is blatantly obvious this January window is going to be critical. The 6 or 8 other teams involved in the relegation dogfight will be just as determined to strengthen their teams and a number of them better placed than ourselves to afford/attract better players. If a club/manager is unable to attract better quality players then that is an ominous sign and would not augur well if that team dropped into the conference. There are enough examples of that.
Ned

Re: Word of caution on Sammy's new players

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Absence usually makes the heart grow fonder.....but in your case.. :?: :?: :?:

Actually you post a lot of sence on this occasion.

Rumours ( :roll: ) are circulating about the names of the managers targets, but in the past such rumours have usually come to nothing. IF the names mentioned do sign for the club, then it is hoped that they are better than those signed during the last close season. Other than McCreedy, Fleming (albeit in fits and starts) and Brown on a short term contract, nobody else has really performed to an acceptable level.

Let's just hope that whoever the 3 are ( ;) )then they can galvanise the team and get us out of a potential relegation battle. Something that I would fear.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm

id rather splash out what little money we have to play with all on a proven pacy center forward

the rest of the team is ok, we just need a bit of luck with injuries & suspension in defence to enable us to play a settled back four each week
George Dawes

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:09 pm

DawZi wrote:id rather splash out what little money we have to play with all on a proven pacy center forward

That is all we are missing in my opinion. But they are like rocking horse sh*t.

Jason Walker might have fitted the bill perfectly, but we've been there and done that.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Sammy h » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Andy Bishop and Junior Umbongo are two of the players apparently.
Sammy h

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Simply Ned wrote:A word of caution on Sammy’s intentions to sign new players in January. Any better quality players would be welcome as the league table does not lie and at present we are involved in a relegation battle. The fact that Sammy has identified 3 specific players has given optimism to supporters that we can pull away from the drop zone sooner rather then later. In fact supporters are now trying to second guess the names of the players thinking they are a done deal waiting to happen. However a word of caution, unless Sammy has already got their signatures then there is no guarantee anything will come of it. In fact each close season Sammy identifies the players he wants that will strengthen the team (basically a wish list that anyone can do) and then when the board cannot afford or attract the said players then he does not accept the blame. It is blatantly obvious this January window is going to be critical. The 6 or 8 other teams involved in the relegation dogfight will be just as determined to strengthen their teams and a number of them better placed than ourselves to afford/attract better players. If a club/manager is unable to attract better quality players then that is an ominous sign and would not augur well if that team dropped into the conference. There are enough examples of that.

Ok Ned , ball in your court. you give us the names of 3 players you think would improve our team and are realistic signings with regard to wages/location etc.
Lets say one is a right full back , one is a midfielder and one is a striker,
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Christies Child wrote:Absence usually makes the heart grow fonder.....but in your case.. :?: :?: :?:

Actually you post a lot of sence on this occasion.

Rumours ( :roll: ) are circulating about the names of the managers targets, but in the past such rumours have usually come to nothing. IF the names mentioned do sign for the club, then it is hoped that they are better than those signed during the last close season. Other than McCreedy, Fleming (albeit in fits and starts) and Brown on a short term contract, nobody else has really performed to an acceptable level.

Let's just hope that whoever the 3 are ( ;) )then they can galvanise the team and get us out of a potential relegation battle. Something that I would fear.

He has had a slow start but it looks as though Jevons has found his scoring boots once again.
heysham_mfc

Postby ockers » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Relegation Dogfight?
:?
ockers

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm

I saw one of our former goalkeepers wandering around Sainsbury's on Sunday afternoon.

He was shopping by the way, not looking for Christie after all these years ... !
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 am

ockers wrote:Relegation Dogfight?
:?

Table doesn't lie, Ockers, even for one of your optimistic nature. We are presently hovering a couple of points above the relegation zone and if we don't start to pull away before Christmas, it could be a long old season.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby ockers » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 am

and acouple of wins wil take us into the top half

two points wasted at burton
deserved a point at wycombe
would have given us at least three extra points we'd be sat 12th but i imagine youd have that asa releagtion dogfight
a couple of wins thats all and our injured players to return add 3 in in january and well in hushed tones we might start to move up this league as we did last year remember without county cheatin last season we would have been promoted bloody hell you say aye lad thats right!!
theres no notts county in this league this season theyre all beatable imho
half full marky half full
ockers

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 am

ockers wrote:and acouple of wins wil take us into the top half

two points wasted at burtondeserved a point at wycombe
would have given us at least three extra points we'd be sat 12th but i imagine youd have that asa releagtion dogfight
a couple of wins thats all and our injured players to return add 3 in in january and well in hushed tones we might start to move up this league as we did last year remember without county cheatin last season we would have been promoted bloody hell you say aye lad thats right!!

It was 3 points wasted at Burton. lost and we should have won. Burton were atrocious , possibly the worst team we have played this season.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby The Marksman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:01 am

We most certainly did not. We never looked like getting anything out of that one.
The Marksman

Postby ockers » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 am

The Marksman wrote:

We most certainly did not. We never looked like getting anything out of that one.

we obviously saw a different game
gary waddock was certainly sheepish and embarrassed at the end of the game
rundle had two glorious chances if you remember
ockers

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:30 am

No point in saying 'what might have been', the fact is we didn't and so we are in a potential mess if things don't improve.

It sounds to me as though Sammy is relying on the 3 potential signings to get us into the safety zone. Bit of a gamble if you ask me, because his record of new signings of late hasn't filled me with confidence.

Rumours circulate as to the names but recent attempts of bringing loan players in have failed, due to the lack of finances that has suddenly become the reason for nothing happening. A reason that hasn't suddenly materialised but has been there all the time as I see it.

New players coming in mean certain ones going out. But as they are on contracts they will need those contracts paying up before they move on. A classic case of Catch 22! I sincerely hope that the club can exodus those unwanted squad members but I have serious doubts as to who will want them.

Who'd be a football manager or a Director come to think of it given the current predicament?
Christies Child

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 am

But you're kind of defeating your own arguement here.

Yes those extra points would have had us up there and then no, it wouldn't be seen as a "relegation dogfight". The fact is though, that we didn't pick up those points and one or two other games have gone the same way this season. That leaves us in a precarious position.

All season this "two wins and we're right up there" comment has been made, yet we've not yet done it. Seventeenth has been our highest position so far, so it is at least a cause for concern.

Now I think we're good enough to stay up. I even think that we will get the wins to start a climb up the table. But I'm also cautious enough to accept that there is a possibility that we won't and we'll spend the season trying to make sure at least two others finish below us.
Martin

Postby ockers » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

two points wasted at burtondeserved a point at wycombe

It was 3 points wasted at Burton. lost and we should have won. Burton were atrocious , possibly the worst team we have played this season.

they were and it was three points youre quite right so we should be sitting in the top half
i remain as ever optimistic about what lies ahead
ockers

Postby Sammy h » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:56 pm

We beat Notts County last year? :lol: :lol:
Sammy h

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Maybe a special panel could be set up by the league, games that should have been different panel, a panel that can overturn scores if they felt the result should have been different, if they rush through this change, and apply decisions retrospectively, we could possibly be in the playoffs :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:41 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Maybe a special panel could be set up by the league, games that should have been different panel, a panel that can overturn scores if they felt the result should have been different, if they rush through this change, and apply decisions retrospectively, we could possibly be in the playoffs :lol:

...and of course the games that we won but should have lost would have resulted in us getting peanuts!
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Christies Child wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:Maybe a special panel could be set up by the league, games that should have been different panel, a panel that can overturn scores if they felt the result should have been different, if they rush through this change, and apply decisions retrospectively, we could possibly be in the playoffs :lol:

...and of course the games that we won but should have lost would have resulted in us getting peanuts!

Very clever CC.

They say it all evens itself out over the course of the season.....
Sammy h

Postby Posh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 am

ockers wrote:they were and it was three points youre quite right so we should be sitting in the top half i remain as ever optimistic about what lies ahead

Sean, I commend your optimism and in many ways I share it. With the quality of squad and the sheer amount of money we've chucked at it we should be doing better. My personal view is that we'll end up mid-table. However to quote one game in isolation is nonsense. In my view we could easily have lost at home to Gillingham and Barnet, but we didn't but I'm not saying we should be in the relegation zone. Half full is fine but you sound like the other half you drank was absynthe - and as you know absynthe makes the heart grow fonder.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby MfcChris » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:52 pm

You only have go glance at goal differences to get an idea where you deserve to be. And we deserve to be where we are hanging about.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Sammy h » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:32 pm

MfcChris wrote:You only have go glance at goal differences to get an idea where you deserve to be. And we deserve to be where we are hanging about.

Not really :?

Leeds - Championship
Colchester, Peterborough - League 1
Cheltenham - League 2

Lets stop making excuses for ourselves.
Sammy h

Return to General Discussion