O/T - Norman Wisdom

O/T - Norman Wisdom

Postby Dysie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:47 pm

RIP fella, alot of our younger members may not be familiar with him but made me laugh alot from an early age & had a good innings ... 'Mr GRIMSDALE ....'
Dysie

Re: O/T - Norman Wisdom

Postby shrimper » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:55 pm

I have two very clear memories of going to the cinema as a four or five year old kid (Odeon at the bottom of York Bridge, now the bathroom and DIY store).
One is of watching The Beatles in 'A Hard Day's Night' and dancing in the aisle when the songs came on.

The other is of various Norman Wisdom films, the most vivid being theone when he ended up on top of a moving ambulance, swathed in bandages and spinning round on the light on the ambulance roof.

I used to laugh until I had to be calmed down for fear of inducing an asthma attack.

Probably very dated now but at the time he was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

Used to pop to Heysham quite a bit as well, as he came over to the mainland - probably on the same ferries as Keith occasionally!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Farewell the King of Albania.

The only Western comedian shown there under the communists. They worshipped him as a God.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 pm

shrimper wrote:Used to pop to Heysham quite a bit as well, as he came over to the mainland - probably on the same ferries as Keith occasionally!

He used to pop in to The Strawberry Gardens on his way to the ferry. Coincidently, I saw him going in there once as I'd just come off the ferry and he was (presumably) heading up to the ferry to return home.

Met him a couple of times. On one occasion he came and opened the garden fate at the nursing home where I was working. He came up to the EMI unit that I managed (where we cared for people with dementia). Sadly none of the patients recognised or remembered him, but he didn't mind. We had a terrific view from the lounge. He plonked himself down in a chair and looking out of the window said "This will do me, when I need a home I'll have this seat". Ironically, he ended his days with dementia and living in that nursing home. I'd left by then so don't know if he used that same chair...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ng-is.html

On the way out of the EMI that day, he did a trademark fall. On a unit of elderly people who had more than an occasional fall for real, this wasn't so funny... even less so for the Filipino staff who were on shift and had absolutely no idea who this old fella was! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Philja » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:57 pm

"The desert grows three miles a year, it just grows, it just grows.."
Philja

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:12 am

a comedy genius.

I remember seeing him buying fish and chips in Atkinsons Albert Road shop when he was in transit to the IOM.

R.I.P.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 am

RIP i use to love watching his films as a kid in my summer holidays, i think the early bird when he was a milkman was my fave :cry:
George Dawes

Postby Jack Poulton » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:43 am

A great man. I met him when I was working in Margate and he was appearing in summer season. He always went out of his way to introduce himself to all us minnions (as if he had to!) and have a chat with us. Also used to see him in the Battery carvery regularly where he would always do his funny walk to the bar.

RIP Norman.
Jack Poulton

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 am

The Early Bird was one of my favourite films of Sir Normans.

And, also, the one where he played a Policeman (can't remember the name of it). In one brilliant scene he was patrolling the beat and came across a bunch of kids playing football on some waste land. Norman decided he would referee the game on their behalf, using his Policeman's whistle !! In no time at all, the whistle happy Norm was well into his role as a Policeman clad referee whistling away for fun. The inevitable happens though when other coppers on the beat hear his whistles and decend upon the scene in their droves !!! Hilarious ! What I call proper "Sunday afternoon films".

I actually felt quite sad when I saw the news breaking on Sky last night. He was one of those people who you kind of thought would be here forever. RIP. Legend.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 am

I liked Norman Wisdom while I was growing up :( R.I.P. young man 8-)
norm.jpg

Miss the likes of Benny Hill, Charlie drake, Tommy Cooper, Bob Monkhouse, Syd James, Reggie Perrin, harry H Corbett, Morecambe & Wise, Dave Allen, Kenny Everett and frankie Howard just to name a few.

Peter Kaye, Ant & Dec, Paul O'Grady, Alan Carr X,Y,Z Factor, Strictly Come Falling on Your Heels and ring 0800 ******** for £1.50 to answer an easy question just doesn't do the same for me ~ Maybe it's the age thing :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Happy Harry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:13 pm

RIP Sir Norman :( A comedy legend and a real nice fella. A true gentleman.

I remember watching a documentary about him and he was watching the Exeter v Morecambe wembley match as they filmed him for one section.
Happy Harry

Return to General Discussion