O/T - Poulton Athletic Reunion

O/T - Poulton Athletic Reunion

Postby sgt major » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Sheila Walker that was (Now Stewart) is celebrating a milestone birthday in the York on Saturday night and has also turned it into a reunion for anyone who played for Poulton Athletic Football team from the Service of Youth League circa early to mid 70's.

Sheila was a bit of a trailblazer then as she managed the U14's team (that yours truly played for - goalkeeper), almost unheard of in those days. The U16 boss at the time was a German called Joe Vittores. We used to train behind the Bowling Alley on the concrete car park (Ouch). We played on a farmers field which is now industrial units on White Lund Road.

So people like Peter Cross, John, Keith and Steve Agar, Gary Dennison, Don Pugh, Dave Wilcocks and various others will be made very welcome at the do.

I'm being interviewed on Radio Lancs at 8.20 in the morning - more secrets of the team will no doubt be revealed.

Pass this on to any wrinkly old has been footballers - we will all be over 50 now!
sgt major

Re: O/T - Poulton Athletic Reunion

Postby Happy Harry » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:34 pm

When I played as a teenager we always put either the crap ones or the fat ones in goals! Sometimes they were both! ;)
Happy Harry

Postby sgt major » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Yeah pal - I was so crap I represented my Regiment and the UN for 13 years - not bad for a crap/fat bugger.
sgt major

Postby Happy Harry » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Clearly also touchy! :lol:
Happy Harry

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:44 pm

would'nt have him calling me fat and touchy, mick :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Richard Head » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45 pm

I might have played against Poulton in the early 70's, do i get an invite? I remember playing a Morecambe team whose manager was a woman and she had to referee because the proper ref didnt turn up.

It sticks in my mind because she sent one of our lads off and at the disciplinary meeting it came out that he was over age so we got kicked out of the league
Richard Head

Postby yozzer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Bloody hell Mick. I played with a line up of Pugh, Kitchen, Yozzer, Cross, Agar, Walker, Kelly, Greenwood and a striker and keeper i can't recall. You must have been in the junior side with the likes of Pete Cross et al.
yozzer

Postby Andy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Mick, I played for Carnforth u16's mid 70's don't remember playing on a farmers field on White Lund, can remember playing Westgate Wanderers ! the memory fades these days ! :shock:
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Richard Head » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:28 am

I played for Vale United in the very early 70's. I remember the pitch on White Lund Road but dont remember the name Poulton Athletic.

I do remember playing at Millhead when Alan Taylor played for them. White Star United played at Bottomdales, Slyne and there was a team called Lancaster City Juniors who later became Skerton Athletic
Richard Head

Postby Richard Head » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:38 am

Just remembered that there was also a pitch on Ovangle Road. As you head up to Asda from the roundabout it was on the right hand side
Richard Head

Postby Loyalsupporter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 am

sgt major wrote:Sheila Walker that was (Now Stewart) is celebrating a milestone birthday in the York on Saturday night and has also turned it into a reunion for anyone who played for Poulton Athletic Football team from the Service of Youth League circa early to mid 70's.

Sheila was a bit of a trailblazer then as she managed the U14's team (that yours truly played for - goalkeeper), almost unheard of in those days. The U16 boss at the time was a German called Joe Vittores. We used to train behind the Bowling Alley on the concrete car park (Ouch). We played on a farmers field which is now industrial units on White Lund Road.

So people like Peter Cross, John, Keith and Steve Agar, Gary Dennison, Don Pugh, Dave Wilcocks and various others will be made very welcome at the do.

I'm being interviewed on Radio Lancs at 8.20 in the morning - more secrets of the team will no doubt be revealed.

Pass this on to any wrinkly old has been footballers - we will all be over 50 now!

Mick, What time does this reunion kick off, I just mentioned it to my old man and he an myself may pop in for a pint or two, I never knew he played for Poulton Athletic, I thought he was part of the "Morecambe Royals" or "Dickens" etc
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby Richard Head » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:12 pm

He could have been a team mate of mine, i was playing for Morecambe Royals in the late 80's
Richard Head

Postby Loyalsupporter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Richard Head wrote:He could have been a team mate of mine, i was playing for Morecambe Royals in the late 80's

I am sure you did play along side him, I beleive your keeper at the time was Paul Williams (Shelvie)
Loyalsupporter

Postby Richard Head » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Yes Shelfie was keeper when i was there. Not seen him yet at the Globe but i used to see him quite often at Christie Park.
Richard Head

Postby Loyalsupporter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Richard Head wrote:Yes Shelfie was keeper when i was there. Not seen him yet at the Globe but i used to see him quite often at Christie Park.

I see him regular on heysham port as he is a wagon driver, think he is still trying to kick a ball about

you should all have a reunion match down the trimpell, would be funny for us young ens watching a bunch of pensioners play football.
Loyalsupporter

Postby Richard Head » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Cheeky young f****r i'm not quite a pensioner yet :D and Shelfie will be a few years younger than me. Some lads who played for Lancaster Boys Club in my era hold veterans matches and asked me to go down but i know what would happen, i wouldnt be able to resist charging in like an idiot before hobbling off after about 5 minutes.

Is Shelfie still driving for Montgomery's ?
Richard Head

Postby Loyalsupporter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Richard Head wrote:Cheeky young f****r i'm not quite a pensioner yet :D and Shelfie will be a few years younger than me. Some lads who played for Lancaster Boys Club in my era hold veterans matches and asked me to go down but i know what would happen, i wouldnt be able to resist charging in like an idiot before hobbling off after about 5 minutes.

Is Shelfie still driving for Montgomery's ?

Certainly is.

You should give it a go, you never know, you may still have your silky skills.

My dad asks who you are, he said he played against many "D*** heads" but doesnt remember playing in the same team as any, well not whilst playing for Poulton Athletic
Loyalsupporter

Postby Richard Head » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Just sent you a PM

Silky skills? Thats a laugh. There were a few Dick Heads at the Royals when i was there
Richard Head

Return to General Discussion