Globe experience

Globe experience

Postby Bare bum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:12 pm

OK 5 matches in, here's my review of the globe experience - from the standing home stand.

Coventry match was very packed and highlighted the reduced capacity and reduced step sizes (depth and height? I'm not sure). This meant the match view was not good. We had intended to stand in our usual placing from the North Stand but couldn't get anywhere near. There were 6 of us and we ended up spread out and unable to talk to each other.

We've ended up trying different spots at the rest of the matches and as yet I've been unable to locate somewhere that feels right. Part of that is because we always had the same folk behind, in front and to the sides and we were able to have a bit of banter. I think we are probably all feeling the same. So, if you're out there, and mostly I don't know your names, I'm missing you..........

We've stood right at the back for the last two matches - I even climbed onto the back shelf with the kids against Gillingham and although they were very welcoming it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Incidentally, what is that shelf all about? The terracing could have comfortably been extended another three steps to the back of the stand. There is certainly enough head height.
Anyway, after 5 matches I still feel a little disappointed. I'm not keen on the reduced size, The balance of the ground doesn't feel right - maybe a future construction on the north terrace will rectify that. I don't like the concourse behind the stand - like others have mentioned, it would have been nice to have a more comfortable and less exposed area there. The tarmac on the ground feels cheap, the paintwork is unfinished, exiting the stand is clumsy and too constricted. I am not keen on the little metal fenced scrapyard in the corner between the main stand and the MBW. Are there plans for that area? I did enjoy the full moon rise over the Bay Radio stand during the Burnley match!

I have had a good look round the main stand and it's facilities and these are mostly brilliant but I suppose the quality here emphasizes the poorer design and quality in my stand. Overall the MBW stand just feels a bit mean. I expect the away stand feels the same with the added tight concourse problems.

I post to be constructively critical rather than be just negatively whinging, although I think I needed a whinge.

Some of these issues can be dealt with, some can't and I'll still be there come rain and shine - maybe I'll do the unimaginable and move to the main stand or maybe it'll get to feel better when things are tidied up and finished off and we start hammering opposition.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Re: Globe experience

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:49 pm

I feel exactly the same Bare Bum and I feel that my matchday experience has suffered, for some reason I don't seem to be enjoying it the same at the moment.

I am hoping that when I get into more of a routine things will return to normal. At the moment for one reson and another every week I seem to have a different pre match routine since we have moved which probably hasn't helped and lots of others probably have as well trying new places, new ways to get there etc. Hopefully over the next few games things will settle down and we will all become creatures of habbit again which will make it start to feel more like home.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby shrimpinho » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:19 pm

good post here and doesn't border to negative whinging, the board have to take into account the fans views and experiences in the new ground. I think its a case of just getting into a consistent routine and it will take time for us to feel properly at home, (no doubt a fair few will already, me being one). I've got to agree with you on the concourse issues, not so much on ours but the away fans. The size is poor and when I saw pictures, (ok making it look worse than it actually is), I was embarrassed. However I am pleased with the overall build and walking towards the PM stand always makes me smile to see how far we've come.

I've always said when discussing the stadium to people that it will take a year to see the real globe arena when all the "creases have be ironed out" such as painting and the land on either side of christie way.

I do hope that your experience begins to get better. A few wins with the MBW stand rocking could just be the remedy ;)
shrimpinho

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Great post B.B.

The Coventry game was tremendously tightly packed in the MBW, so much so that my nephew saw precious little of the game and we got in the stand very early on.

We now stand in a different part of the MBW (we are season ticket holders, my son, nephew and I) and we stand in the same sort of position as if it had been the North Stand at Christie we had been stood in. The thing that gets me is that, I don't recognise or know any of the people stood around us anymore !!

Maybe my thoughts and ideas about what we were getting for the MBW were a little ambitious on my part, but I was kind of thinking we were getting some sort of bar/food outlet actually under/within the stand itself? Like what we saw at, for example, Preston North End on both our trips there. Obviously looking at it now, the stand isn't big enough or deep enough to accomodate such a thing under it.

I love The Globe, as do my 2 family members who attend with me every match, and whilst we will never forget the Christie experience or it's history, The Globe feels welcoming as I hoped / knew it would do.

One small point, why does it always seem to be a sponsor or someone from one of the boxes that wins Open The Box ????!!!!!! Never seems to be anyone from the home end !!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby George Dawes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:31 pm

them 2 disabled bays in the home stand are way to big

against Coventry i counted no more than 6 wheelchairs and about the same with Burnley you could fit a extra 80 people or more in both bays 4 rows of 10 people standing in 1 bay = 40 then you double it x2 = 80

you could easly reduce the size of them by half and still meet the clubs needs to accommodate people in wheelchairs
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Without question the old North Stand was superb and in many ways to expect the new stand to live up to it was probably asking too much.

Just remember what it was like at CP before the North Stand was built.

Some valid points have been raised but I personall ythink it was asking too much for the North Stand to be replicated although the comments about catering and the away end do need resolving.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Crooky MFC » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 pm

The North Stand :( God I miss that stand!!
Crooky MFC

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 pm

And a bloody "Next Match" sign outside the ground PLEASE ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Some very genuine and very honest opinions here.

For my part, my match day experience has been vastly improved by the move.

This starts with the feeling of excitement I get just walking up the concourse towards the ground, having a drink in the bar and paying a visit to the shop.

Then, as it's where I've watched all my games so far, the facilities in the main stand which (pie, peas and gravy issue aside) are a different world from Christie Park. I've paid the bit extra to get into the suite pre-match, half-time and after the game and I think it's worth it.

I don't miss standing, never really too bothered about that, and anyway I've taken the kids a couple of times and they tend to be less hassle when sitting.

I do miss the banter of the terraces but as it looks like I'll be doing more Bay Radio this season, I'd have been out of that anyway. And I can still get that in the bar on Thursday nights and on the way to away games (as well as with those of my mates who are now in the main stand).

I think plans still exist for improvements to the rest of the ground (infill with offices and more boxes in the corners, complete new stand on the new 'carwash' possibly enclosing the area behind the home end etc) as and when funds allow. Some elements had to be removed but the plans still allow for them to be put in later.

First off they wanted to concentrate on those parts of the ground (main stand suites and community block/pitches) that would bring us income 360 days a year.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:12 pm

shrimper wrote:Some very genuine and very honest opinions here.

This starts with the feeling of excitement I get just walking up the concourse towards the ground, having a drink in the bar and paying a visit to the shop.

Then, as it's where I've watched all my games so far, the facilities in the main stand which (pie, peas and gravy issue aside) are a different world from Christie Park. I've paid the bit extra to get into the suite pre-match, half-time and after the game and I think it's worth it.

I don't miss standing, never really too bothered about that, and anyway I've taken the kids a couple of times and they tend to be less hassle when sitting.

I do miss the banter of the terraces but as it looks like I'll be doing more Bay Radio this season, I'd have been out of that anyway. And I can still get that in the bar on Thursday nights and on the way to away games (as well as with those of my mates who are now in the main stand).

I think plans still exist for improvements to the rest of the ground (infill with offices and more boxes in the corners, complete new stand on the new 'carwash' possibly enclosing the area behind the home end etc) as and when funds allow. Some elements had to be removed but the plans still allow for them to be put in later.

First off they wanted to concentrate on those parts of the ground (main stand suites and community block/pitches) that would bring us income 360 days a year.

Have to admit I tuned into The Bay for the post match comments of Sammy last Saturday for the first time. The discussion between Ockers and Shrimper was excellent and if that is what I've been missing then 'shame on me'.....

Ockers questioning of Sammy was pretty ggod as well. ;)

In future it'll be Radio Lancs AND The Bay ........somehow! :)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Bare bum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:26 pm

OK, I do understand all of that, maybe it's the lack of balance that's grating on me. The ground itself at the moment doesn't seem balanced and the investment in different types of fans doesn't seem balanced. That makes me feel less valued. I don't think I'm alone. I have a couple of mates who regularly (for years) came to home matches at Christie for the banter, the pie, peas and gravy and the footie. One hasn't turned up since the Coventry match and another (who travels from Windermere) is not making the same effort and has been twice. I just hope that they're both having a glitch and it will settle down for them.
If I'm honest, I suppose the connected theme is my dislike and mistrust of the corporate approach. I find it pretentious and vacuous. The main stand seems to drip slick facilities, paid for exclusiveness and paid for smiles, it has expensive fittings and it's finished, because of where I prefer to watch I feel excluded. You know it's a bit like pressing noses against the French windows and seeing the aristocracy eating and dancing - on top of that a line of newly unfriendly stewards usher me coldly past the ball room erm main stand exit on my way out.
On top of all that home-stand stalwart Shrimper says he never cared much for the proletariat and much prefers to be dancing with the Dukes and Duchesses....................

First one against the wall come the revolution I say, and I did see you hiding at the back Yozzer quaffing pink champagne and talking investments
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I feel to have settled in quite well, and i think thats because i'm alot younger than most of you.

In a way some of the older supporters had an 'emotional attatchment' to Christe, and its understandable after so many years of going there! But after a season or two i think it will begin to feel right, and afterall its for the benifit of the club and for the future.
I think that we will all miss Christe alot because of the great memories and games that were witnessed there but now we have to think to the future. Possibley the strongest squad we have had ever (they will gel soon ;) ) Also bare in mind the Globe has been opened properly for about 1 month, there are bound to be some things that are not quite right, but turst me, eventually they will sort the small things out and then we will all be settled in quite nicely!
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm

OK, I do understand all of that, maybe it's the lack of balance that's grating on me. The ground itself at the moment doesn't seem balanced and the investment in different types of fans doesn't seem balanced. That makes me feel less valued. I don't think I'm alone. I have a couple of mates who regularly (for years) came to home matches at Christie for the banter, the pie, peas and gravy and the footie. One hasn't turned up since the Coventry match and another (who travels from Windermere) is not making the same effort and has been twice. I just hope that they're both having a glitch and it will settle down for them.
If I'm honest, I suppose the connected theme is my dislike and mistrust of the corporate approach. I find it pretentious and vacuous. The main stand seems to drip slick facilities, paid for exclusiveness and paid for smiles, it has expensive fittings and it's finished, because of where I prefer to watch I feel excluded.

Bare Bum you have hit the nail on the head.

If I won the lottery on Saturday I still wouldn't want to go in the mainstand and have a meal in the wright and lord suite every game because my mates are all on the terraces behind the goals.

If I get a season tickets for the stand I get a designated seat this means when my mates who aren't season tickets holders come to a game with me we have sit seperatley which is no good.

I agree Bare Bum that because we choose to go in the MWB stand we are excluded and we seem to be the forgotten fans.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Spare a thought for the now defunct , paddock massive, the slightly balding middle aged crew that used to meet in JBs, went into the old paddock, and stood in their regular spot near the halfway line, many of these fans have to either stand in the north stand minus their bar banter pre, half tlme, and post match, or organise themselves pre match to sort out tickets so they caan sit together between pints in the plant room style bar, too much hassle, and I know a fair few of the former paddock fans who are not bothering this season, I would hasten to add I am not moaning, as i alllways sit in the stand anyway, just pointing out a few of my mates globe experience.

I personally used the wright and lord nice bit last game and found it very nice, nearly four quid a pint with 12 quid for steak pie and chips is not my cup of earl grey though :lol:

My norm will be the family bit, with my son, taking in refreshments en route, a beer bbefore in the outsde bar, and after, in the outside bar :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby yozzer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:00 pm

I understand totally where you are coming from Graham. One of the reasons I made the early decision to move into block D Main Stand was I like to view from a decent height. Having done the site tour and viewed from the back of the M.B.W. and seen how far the disability areas encroach into the terraces I knew it wasn't for me. I still have the craic with the lads before the game in Stabbies but with many of them now Media Whores the old group in the North Stand has dwindled.
From a general point of view the great thing about Christie was it had a very egalitarian feel to it. We were all in it together. I do understand the necessity for the corporate dollar but to so glaringly have what I consider to be a four class tier system in place harkens back to a Victorian Age. What I find disconcerting is that against Chesterfield we had 2,300ish with a big away following. We have Barnet on Saturday. They aren't gonna bring many. The novelty seems to have worn off for many of the plastics and we will probably be down to the core support. If that core support has dwindled because of a perceived alienation then that is concerning. As long as the boxes are full though..........
yozzer

Postby BHmfc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 pm

I must admit i'm not happy, i have a massive void in my life which was the old North Stand and i can't see the new home terrace ever replacing it. The view is not good and the bigger the gate the worse it becomes, the finish looks like it has been rushed (because it has), the disabled sections either side of the goal look odd to say the least, no shelter for when having tea, pies, beer etc, only 1 male and female toilet block (if you are standing near the Main Stand you have to walk all the way to the far end to go to the Gents, at CP you had Male and Female toilets at each EACH END of the ground, not a Gents at 1 end and a Ladies at the other), the shelf attracts all the children who end up falling off and crash into who-ever is standing in front, 1 serving hatch (enough said), the roof does not extend far enough so when the wet weather games arrive the first 3 or 4 steps of terracing will get wet. It sounds like i'm having a moan because i am, but at least i'm getting it off my chest. We know the bulk of the money has gone into the Main Stand but don't rub our noses into it, just try and treat us with a bit more respect. It will be interesting to see Saturdays attendance, between 1800-1900 is my guess. PS, while i'm on here, i know a Burnley fan and a Rotherham who think the concourse behind the away terrace is a disgrace, and i've got to agree, fine when there is a small away support but once the numbers reach several hundred or more it is totally inadequate. The Rotherham fan said he won't be rushing back, so unless the club wants to lose away support it needs to increase that space.
BHmfc

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm

FFS thats all move back to cp then and all be resolved

get over it........
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby yozzer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:17 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:FFS thats all move back to cp then and all be resolved

get over it........

Well thanks for your very constructive contribution. You made a number of very valid criticisms. To use your vernacular.......Tosser!
yozzer

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:22 pm

yozzer wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:FFS thats all move back to cp then and all be resolved

get over it........

Well thanks for your very constructive contribution. You made a number of very valid criticisms. To use your vernacular.......Tosser!

well you nearly got your name right...

tozzer
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby yozzer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:34 pm

You seem to be very appropriately named. Very skimpy on the sentences.
yozzer

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 pm

The home end was made smaller, and the paddock done away with, to guide people into the main stand, if, as the club state, they listened to the fans, why is there not a paddock in the main stand, why, if half a dozen blokes want to have a few jars on saturday and amble down to the globe, do they have to fart around getting tickets to sit together, then go off for a pint before requeueing at the turnstiles to get in a ground where less than 2000 will attend on saturday !

posted this on the wrong topic, so I have moved my wise words here :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby yozzer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:47 pm

:lol:
yozzer

Postby BHmfc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 am

Great posts and fully agree with Bare Bum, P/T Indie, Seasider9601 and yozzer but i think shrimpnsave needs to learn how to construct an original post. This Saturday, for the first time in over 40 years of following MFC, when i'm free to go and watch, the thought of standing on a sub-standard terrace, with sub-standard facilities does nothing for me, so much so that i might give this weekends game a miss, and i know i'm not the only one saying this. My mate sums up the Globe by saying it has a great league standard main stand, conference standard covered terraces and an open terrace Lancaster would be proud of. Shrimnsave, this is my honest opinion (and others) so i don't care what you think. Might see you Saturday, might not.
BHmfc

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 am

Well got to say that i'm really enjoying the 'Globe Experience' from Block C in the main stand when I can get out of bed :lol: Although alot more expensive and creeping into Premiership territory pricewise the view is outstanding,
Like others I do miss the original North stand and that homely feel (maybe that's because of the grub) but we have to move on and get over it although I must insist that they sort out the gravy problem for those dry pies that should come as standard in a higher priced area of the ground.
HALMA 1983

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:51 am

Me and Doris are making our debut on Saturday.
How should we spend the 2 hours before the game, and where's our best spot to stand?
Plain Peter

Next

Return to General Discussion