Globe Arena bar (Tuesday) - Steve?

Globe Arena bar (Tuesday) - Steve?

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Can I take it that we won't have to toss a coin with fans of Hoffenheim and Bayern Munich for the choice of match being screened tomorrow??

;)

(Spurs v Arsenal, League Cup, Sky 2)
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Re: Globe Arena bar (Tuesday) - Steve?

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Yes , we will see which of the North London giants have most fans tomorrow.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Opinionated » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm

I don't know how the club can afford to keep the bar open as there is never anyone in it, even for matches involving Liverpool and Man Utd. I presume the large amounts of money made on a match day makes up for this. I hope more people make the Globe their new local.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby steve mfc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:23 pm

I was in Sunday afternoon to watch the Chelsea v Blackpool game and there was only five in, almost as many staff as customers.
steve mfc

Postby phil1965365 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 pm

It needs to be promoted more, passing trade going down westgate road don,t even know there,s a bar there......[better signage needed]....
phil1965365

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Agreed and people who use it on a match day may not know that it's open durning the week.
heysham_mfc

Postby sgt major » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:23 am

Just to balance this out as a licensee - there are hardly any pubs packing them in midweek in Morecambe - there isn't the money around here and venues have to diversify. I should know - all the so called loyal customers of mine walked when the new ground moved (Only 12 mins walk away, but that's the end of the world to some folk). So I have had to look at other areas to attract custom.
My brewery rep is a Bolton fan, he informs me most of his friends wouldn't dream of using the Reebock for a drink, preferring to drink in locals around the ground.

It's no reflection on the club there aren't a lot using it in midweek - it's just economics!
sgt major

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 am

Agreed, although it is a very nice bar it does not have a pub feel about it,its like a hotel lounge area, pubs develop character, and a local feel over decades, it is fine for a swift pint before and after games, but thats about it for me,also your local has to be local, ie, walking or staggering distance, so its out on a limb for most fans anyway
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am

phil1965365 wrote:It needs to be promoted more, passing trade going down westgate road don,t even know there,s a bar there......[better signage needed]....

Signage definitely needs looking at and improving. As it does too for the Club Shop I think.

And a "Next Match" board outside the ground ...........
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Stewie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Are kids allowed in?

There are fewer and fewer pubs in Morecambe where you can take the kids for a lemonade and packet of crisps whilst you have a nice pint.

The Station is about all thats left!
Stewie

Postby sgt major » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Stewie wrote:Are kids allowed in?

There are fewer and fewer pubs in Morecambe where you can take the kids for a lemonade and packet of crisps whilst you have a nice pint.

The Station is about all thats left!

Children always welcome in the York and unlike Weatherspoon's you don't get kicked out after eating your meal with them ;)
sgt major

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:13 pm

My kids have been made very welcome whenever we've been in the Globe Bar, no problem.

Mick's right of course, it is a sign of the times. He runs a great pub and makes it a real 'local' feel for his customers. I've enjoyed lots of good sessions in there.

My nearest pub is the D&P and I've wandered up there plenty of times to watch a game or start or finish off a night out. I've also been to the Strawberry and Bar 11 in Lancaster to watch Spurs games because mates of mine have been going in.

But - and with respect to Mick and other landlords - apart from knowing and liking some of them as individuals (and nipping in there quite often and recommending them to others when asked) I have no particular vested interest in those or any other pubs.

I do have a vested interest in Morecambe Football Club and in its ability to make money from non-matchday facilities like the bar.

I hope to be in tonight and I'll get in as often as I can in future.

It's not on my doorstep but is a healthy bike-ride away for which I'll happily make the effort.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:
phil1965365 wrote:It needs to be promoted more, passing trade going down westgate road don,t even know there,s a bar there......[better signage needed]....

Signage definitely needs looking at and improving. As it does too for the Club Shop I think.

Just called in at Tesco's in Carnforth. Their board says that we are playing GILLINGHAM this weekend! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:

Just called in at Tesco's in Carnforth. Their board says that we are playing GILLINGHAM this weekend! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Funny you say that. My mate said the same thing last week, asked if I would meet him down at the game on Saturday...

I was abit shocked thinking he was going to Southend :lol:

Needs looking into desperately!
Sammy h

Postby scar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Have we got any beer offers on this eve? And will there be food available to soak up the ale?
scar

Postby Opinionated » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

scar wrote:Have we got any beer offers on this eve? And will there be food available to soak up the ale?

Budweiser has been 2 bottles for £3.50 recently, with Potted Shrimp cask ale at £2.20. A food menu has recently been added next to the bar as you walk in.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Do the toffs from the emporial posh bit ever slum it down the globe bar on a wet wednesday, if so, they all have stunt doubles regularly using the dog and the george, 2 bottles of bud for 3.50 is still 3.50 a pint, curry the other day was unsold at 7 quid plus as opposed to two meals for 8 quid at the mitchell, pricing needs sorting out if they want punters, simples :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Dan.Campbell » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:07 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Do the toffs from the emporial posh bit ever slum it down the globe bar on a wet wednesday, if so, they all have stunt doubles regularly using the dog and the george, 2 bottles of bud for 3.50 is still 3.50 a pint, curry the other day was unsold at 7 quid plus as opposed to two meals for 8 quid at the mitchell, pricing needs sorting out if they want punters, simples :lol: :lol:

No it's not. The Budweiser bottles are 473ml so, you're getting 946ml for £3.50. A pint is 568ml.

A normal bottle of Budweiser is only 330ml and you'd be very lucky to pick one of them up from a pub for less than £2.
Dan.Campbell

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Do the toffs from the emporial posh bit ever slum it down the globe bar on a wet wednesday, if so, they all have stunt doubles regularly using the dog and the george, 2 bottles of bud for 3.50 is still 3.50 a pint, curry the other day was unsold at 7 quid plus as opposed to two meals for 8 quid at the mitchell, pricing needs sorting out if they want punters, simples :lol: :lol:

Yeah! Yer a nice bloke but yer no Carol Vorderman!

Anyway two things:

1 Despite the result we had a good evening, looked after by the staff and catered for by the chef with some lovely butties and big bowls of chips at £3 a throw.
2 I hear there were only three in for the mighty ManU v Rangers last week so I reckon, as we more than doubled that (even without me putting the word around properly), we get first dibs next time!!

(Mickey Mouse Cup anyway - that Champions' (sic) League's the one we're after!)

;) ;)
shrimper

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:56 pm

only saw the extra time.
how come all the spurs fans came dressed as blue seats?
halftimeresults

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 pm

They wuz off darn the rabadab, mi old choina!
shrimper

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:

It also says it's at Christie Park strange because the took the Gillingham sign out after the game but it was back again when we called in on Monday :?
heysham_mfc

Postby steve mfc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm

shrimper wrote:
Anyway two things:

1 Despite the result we had a good evening, looked after by the staff and catered for by the chef with some lovely butties and big bowls of chips at £3 a throw.
2 I hear there were only three in for the mighty ManU v Rangers last week so I reckon, as we more than doubled that (even without me putting the word around properly), we get first dibs next time!!

(Mickey Mouse Cup anyway - that Champions' (sic) League's the one we're after!)

;) ;)

If i remember rightly there was in fact about ten of us in, however as only three of us were supporting Rangers i don't suppose we have a chance in hell of them showing us against Bursaspor, not unless i trawl the kebab shops offering a free lift there and back :lol:
steve mfc

Postby shrimper » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:15 am

Apologies, then. I asked a chap who was in this Tuesday and had also been in for that game and he said 'about three'!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:26 am

Sounds to me as though the place needs promoting.....otherwise the cost of staffing will be a drain on whatever the takings (or lack of) are!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Next

Return to General Discussion