Adam Campbell gone to Darlington
Born again Bill

Re: Former Shrimps Thread

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Thommo has signed Mitchell Lund for BPA
BerlinWaller

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:13 pm

Agree with most of what's been said here.

As Posh says, if Keith Curle thinks he can get him firing then good on you Pep G, but I think Jim played him nearly to the expense of his job last year. I'm not sure what KC has planned that Jim didn't try?

His inability to trap the ball or head in his desired direction are pretty detrimental attributes to his role as a target man or number 9.
Castaway

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm

He'll obviously score against us though.
Castaway

Postby Posh » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:47 pm

The Marksman wrote:I can't help but feel like we didn't see the best of Oliver. He played his best football and scored the most goals at York when playing on the right of a front three

I can’t help feeling this is nonsense. Oliver’s most prolific spell at York, according to my York supporting friend, was in a front two alongside Jon Parkin in the Conference. He said he never played in a front
three.

This is what the York Press made of Vadaine in the Football League;

Vadaine Oliver

Of initial value to the team under Wilcox when the team’s approach was more direct and he showed a desire to flick on regular aerial balls forward. Once that passion seemingly disappeared, though, he cut a lethargic figure up front. A return of one goal from his last 22 games of the season saw fans boo his second-half introduction on the final day at Morecambe.

Appearances: 36 (6); Goals: 10. Rating:2/10

His record didn’t improve with us and it was fractionally better in Conference North.

If he does well at Northampton it’ll eat my proverbial hat.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:19 am

Mixed bag for me, some very strong abilities but also some very weak ones.

Had one of the best aerial duel win percentages in the league. I think that when he was partnered up with somebody, as he was more often for the latter stages of last season, he helped contribute far more. He wins balls, occupies defenders and I think he's actually a half decent passer. So when he's got players to play off him, making use of the space he opens up, I think he can be quite effective.

Where he is completely ineffective, however, is as a lone striker - a role in which he was used far too much. For me, he lacked the ability to really trap a ball (something which I think Stockton does well) and hold it up to bring others into play. He won aerial duels etc and flick ons, but he wasn't able to keep the ball while our players got forward. To make the most of him, we really needed more players around him.

And obviously, as a lone striker his lack of goals was something very prominent. For me, he lacks the anticipation/nose for a chance needed by goalscorers. Obviously, it's not as much as an issue (a striker's job isn't necessarily always to score goals, eg Giroud) when he's partnering Collins etc and helping him score a few, but when he's spearheading a side on his own with no other obvious goal threat, then it feels like a big problem.

Looks like Northampton might be making a go of it this season, so will presumably have more numbers forward and not being using Oliver as a lone striker. This considered, wouldn't surprise me if he did relatively well.
Little Shrimp

Postby CityShrimp » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:55 am

Vadaine flatters to deceive, for me.

Yes he’s a big lad who will occupy defenders, and there’s no doubt he’s a strong physical presence who wins balls in the air. Some might say that’s reason enough for having him in the team.

But there’s no end product. He doesn’t score goals, he’s played loads of minutes and I can think of lots of chances he’s fluffed so I don’t accept that his poor goal return is because of how he’s been used.

A poor goal return wouldn’t be a problem if he was putting chances on a plate for a strike partner and getting loads of assists, but his assist tally isn’t good either. Of all his impressive aerial challenges and flick ons, how many of them resulted in a useful attack being developed or a chance created?

If you’re a striker that doesn’t score or create goals, you’re of very limited use I’m afraid.

I’m a bit disappointed that Jim offered him a new contract and it’s probably for the best that he’s gone to Northampton; I will be shocked if he scores more than 6-7 goals for them.
CityShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:39 am

My in depth analysis of Big V is this....the lad is a cart horse.
BerlinWaller

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Dawid Szezpaniek was on bench for Wrexham against Fleetwood last night
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:49 pm

I would actually have liked to see Vadaine as a central defender. Seriously. He has a big physical presence and wins most headers. He'd probably score just as many goals by going up for corners as he did anyway.

I don't think anyone was too upset that he left, so turning up at Northampton is a surprise. But I think he worked hard for us, so I wish him well.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Castaway » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Of all his impressive aerial challenges and flick ons, how many of them resulted in a useful attack being developed or a chance created?

Well exactly. Stats can sometimes be misleading. He may have been winning headers, but if they end up in the wrong direction than intended then they are usually not so useful!
Castaway

Postby redrobo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Maybe if we'd been a bit more attack minded with 2 up top playing together we would have got more out of Oliver.

Will be interesting to see how Curle sets up his strike force.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Hat-trick for Vadaine Oliver today in his debut. Header , Overhead kick and a shot.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Hat-trick for Vadaine Oliver today in his debut. Header , Overhead kick and a shot.

v Sileby Rangers F.C.of the United Counties League Division One.

Would it be too harsh to suggest, 'found his level'? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 am

Keith wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:Hat-trick for Vadaine Oliver today in his debut. Header , Overhead kick and a shot.

Possibly :lol:
black morse

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:06 am

black morse wrote:
Keith wrote:

Possibly :lol:

It's a shame for Northampton that V had his one good game a season in a friendly against a pub team.
BerlinWaller

Postby black morse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:33 am

Oh I'm worried now that he is going to play a blinder against us after all these comments :roll:
black morse

Postby jbc.shrimp » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:18 am

Listened to the interview he gave at Northampton. First thing he seemed to suggest was that he'd 'turned down' another year with us. ! ?
jbc.shrimp

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:48 pm

jbc.shrimp wrote:Listened to the interview he gave at Northampton. First thing he seemed to suggest was that he'd 'turned down' another year with us. ! ?
We dodged a bullet there! In that one friendly against low non-league opponents he scored almost threequarters of his average goals per year! :o If i were Curle i woldn't pick him now til about February :D
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:28 pm

black morse wrote:Oh I'm worried now that he is going to play a blinder against us after all these comments :roll:

Oh, it is guaranteed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite incredible that after the extended faith that Jim showed in him, he turned us down for another season? Even those of us who thought he had *something* to give, weren't too upset when he left.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby CityShrimp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 am

In fairness to Vadaine, he took a lot of stick from some fans for his goal scoring record, which probably wore him down a bit. Can’t blame him for taking the opportunity of a fresh start (and probably more money).
CityShrimp

Postby redrobo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:55 am

CityShrimp wrote:In fairness to Vadaine, he took a lot of stick from some fans for his goal scoring record, which probably wore him down a bit. Can’t blame him for taking the opportunity of a fresh start (and probably more money).

He was brought in as a striker who failed miserably to fulfill that role.

Also he said he wanted to be near his family hence why he decided to leave. Considering that he moved to Leyland to be nearer to the club when he signed i don't accept his reason for leaving especially as he has now signed for Northampton which is still a trek from his former base at Shefield which I assume he has moved back to to be nearer his family.

If he moved to secure a better contract, fair enough but at least be honest about it.

As for the reaction of the fans, as a non striking striker he was given a lot of encouragement initially but he simply failed to deliver.
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:25 am

redrobo wrote:
CityShrimp wrote:In fairness to Vadaine, he took a lot of stick from some fans for his goal scoring record, which probably wore him down a bit. Can’t blame him for taking the opportunity of a fresh start (and probably more money).

He was brought in as a striker who failed miserably to fulfill that role.

Also he said he wanted to be near his family hence why he decided to leave. Considering that he moved to Leyland to be nearer to the club when he signed i don't accept his reason for leaving especially as he has now signed for Northampton which is still a trek from his former base at Shefield which I assume he has moved back to to be nearer his family.

If he moved to secure a better contract, fair enough but at least be honest about it.

As for the reaction of the fans, as a non striking striker he was given a lot of encouragement initially but he simply failed to deliver.

If the only way you measure the quality of a striker is by number of goals scored then you're a lost cause.

I reckon if Northampton do go for it and get lots of players up around him, he'll be a handy player for them. If it ends up being the hoofball to just him up front (the lack of success of his flicks more came from the fact that he generally had no team mates within 20 yards of him) like we played in spells then he'll struggle again.
Little Shrimp

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 am

Kieran O'Hara has signed for Burton Albion on 1 year loan deal
Redalert1970

Postby The Marksman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Posh wrote:
The Marksman wrote:I can't help but feel like we didn't see the best of Oliver. He played his best football and scored the most goals at York when playing on the right of a front three

I can’t help feeling this is nonsense. Oliver’s most prolific spell at York, according to my York supporting friend, was in a front two alongside Jon Parkin in the Conference. He said he never played in a front
three.

This is what the York Press made of Vadaine in the Football League;

Vadaine Oliver

Of initial value to the team under Wilcox when the team’s approach was more direct and he showed a desire to flick on regular aerial balls forward. Once that passion seemingly disappeared, though, he cut a lethargic figure up front. A return of one goal from his last 22 games of the season saw fans boo his second-half introduction on the final day at Morecambe.

Appearances: 36 (6); Goals: 10. Rating:2/10

His record didn’t improve with us and it was fractionally better in Conference North.

If he does well at Northampton it’ll eat my proverbial hat.

Ha, I got my info from a York supporting friend too. Guess their opinions differ!
The Marksman

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion