Re: Former Shrimps Thread

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:26 am

redrobo wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Redalert1970 wrote:Dave Artell might not last the season as manager of Grimsby

Another massive loss at home today 1 5 to Doncaster

Let's hope he lasts the week !

They can fire him after we have the points :lol: :lol: :lol:

IF they do sack Artell it's the perfect scenario for DA to return to management in EFL2..... :?: :?: :?:

The scenario I see although few will agree is as follows :-

Morecambe reach or are near the play-offs and Tranmere finish lower mid-table.

Tranmere fire Nigel Adkins and approach former club legend Ged Brannan which with the budget difference and much bigger salary he would be attracted to.

We then reappoint Derek who again wishes he had never left Morecambe. Maybe that is why no assistant manager will be appointed until the Summer.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Billy bodger » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:26 am

A right Job’s comforter!!
Billy bodger

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:42 am

Billy bodger wrote:A right Job’s comforter!!

I did say that few will agree with me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:31 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:The scenario I see although few will agree is as follows :-

Tranmere fire Nigel Adkins and approach former club legend Ged Brannan which with the budget difference and much bigger salary he would be attracted to.

We then reappoint Derek who again wishes he had never left Morecambe. Maybe that is why no assistant manager will be appointed until the Summer.

Ooh, I hope not! I'd like to see the club sold, and Ged given a competitive budget. But, your scenario wouldn't be a surprise. I prefer Ged's style of football, and although Derek did a great job here, I think the fact that he has left twice, would suggest that he always has an eye on something else.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:34 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:

I'm another who disagrees with you GS. Surely after the way are performing now, both with results and style of play, the first person we should be getting to sign a new contract is Ged Brennan.
black morse

Postby redrobo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:55 am

Could be wrong but I get the impression that the players enjoy working for Ged who has allowed them more freedom during a game especially the defenders who are now being seen in both penalty areas.

Maybe the players are able to understand what Ged wants rather than the what appeared at times to be confused tactics under DA.

I'd be happy for our BoDs to extend GB's contract just in case some other club comes knocking on his door and offers him a bigger budget plus a few extra pennies in his wage packet. :lol:
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:08 pm

black morse wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:

I'm another who disagrees with you GS. Surely after the way are performing now, both with results and style of play, the first person we should be getting to sign a new contract is Ged Brennan.

Agreed. My scenario is only relevant if the club remains in this awful limbo with no new owner.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:15 pm

Keith wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:The scenario I see although few will agree is as follows :-

Ooh, I hope not! I'd like to see the club sold, and Ged given a competitive budget. But, your scenario wouldn't be a surprise. I prefer Ged's style of football, and although Derek did a great job here, I think the fact that he has left twice, would suggest that he always has an eye on something else.

I think Derek pretty quickly realised that the Ross County Chairman had sold him a pup and that Ross County instead of chasing a Europa League or Conference place would be relegation candidates. In my humble opinion if Derek had not been our manager not only would we never have known what it was like to play in EFL1 against Sheff Weds , Derby , Sunderland etc then we would now be setting the Sat Nav's for Solihull Moors and Maidenhead. He stabilised Morecambe FC in the most dire of circumstances.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Freez » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:49 pm

I agree that DA did a stupendous job getting us in the League 2 play offs and we do have a lot to thank him for. Maybe we would have gone back to the National League but thankfully we didn’t.
Some astute signings (Toums, Yann, Adam on loan, Nat KP, Liam MC and others) alongside some already decent players ( Cole, Sully, Aaron W, Carlos) saw us perform well in the soulless stadiums of the covid era, where home crowds or big away followings played no part in the officials decisions, which probably helped us.
DA is rightly held in high esteem by most if not all of us, as it was a memorable journey.

It’s Geds turn now, and the style has changed for sure but we are still doing better than most predicted at the start of the season, given the off field troubles, DA departing mid season and loan players vanishing, it’s been another rollercoaster of ride. Still more to come I feel. The return of JJ will help, as he and Stu Moore were a lot to do with our great start.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:48 pm

Freez wrote:I agree that DA did a stupendous job getting us in the League 2 play offs and we do have a lot to thank him for. Maybe we would have gone back to the National League but thankfully we didn’t.
Some astute signings (Toums, Yann, Adam on loan, Nat KP, Liam MC and others) alongside some already decent players ( Cole, Sully, Aaron W, Carlos) saw us perform well in the soulless stadiums of the covid era, where home crowds or big away followings played no part in the officials decisions, which probably helped us.
DA is rightly held in high esteem by most if not all of us, as it was a memorable journey.

It’s Geds turn now, and the style has changed for sure but we are still doing better than most predicted at the start of the season, given the off field troubles, DA departing mid season and loan players vanishing, it’s been another rollercoaster of ride. Still more to come I feel. The return of JJ will help, as he and Stu Moore were a lot to do with our great start.

How close are Moore and JJ to being back in the squad.

I agree , it's Ged's turn and he is doing a really good job. My scenario was if Tranmere tempted him to Prenton Park.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:42 am

Tom Bloxham with a great goal in Shrewsbury's 3-2 win away at Reading.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby SonofPhoenixShrimp » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:10 am

Mendes Gomes stretched off for Bolton last night with a suspected ruptured Achilles
SonofPhoenixShrimp

Postby Martin » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:14 pm

Michael Mellon scores for Dundee in their 7-1 defeat at Celtic
Martin

Postby Shrimp Girl » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:28 pm

Martin wrote:Michael Mellon scores for Dundee in their 7-1 defeat at Celtic

with Trevor Carson in goal for Dundee
Shrimp Girl

Postby John L » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:19 am

Goalkeeper Tom Stewart signs for Lancaster City after injury to Andre Mendes...
https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/lancastercity/news/new-signing-tom-stewart-2834992.html

Turns out he made one appearance for us, during a 4-1 home defeat to Shrewsbury on Tuesday 17th March 2015 after Andreas Arestidou was sent off in the 49th minute, according to https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=81457, not that I remember, but I do recall his place being taken by Liverpool loanee Danny Ward from the following game, when he sat on the bench for a few more games according to https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1732&season_id=156&teamTabs=results. Also mentioned here: https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2015/february/shrimps-sign-keeper/
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:46 am

Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby John L » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:07 pm

Cheers Martin, you never fail! ;)

So glad we didn't persist with putting the camera in the away end... What were we thinking?

More importantly though, what was Drummie thinking with that shocker of a pass early on? :o
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:12 am

Coley and Bell relieved of their duties at Accrington Stanley.

Wow !!
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:41 pm

The aforementioned Tom Stewart in goal for Lancaster City tonight.

They’ve lost 5-0 at Ashton United.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby John L » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:29 pm

Shrimp Girl wrote:
Martin wrote:Michael Mellon scores for Dundee in their 7-1 defeat at Celtic

with Trevor Carson in goal for Dundee

Latest from MM:
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/4914318/exclusive-michael-mellon-dundee-desire-st-johnstone-injury-cat-mouse/
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:41 am

Can't see it, behind a pay-wall. What does it say [basically]?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby John L » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:00 pm

Keith wrote:

Can't see it, behind a pay-wall. What does it say [basically]?

That's odd! It works for me and I haven't paid a penny! Maybe it's an international thing? ;)
Here you are anyway...

Michael Mellon’s time at Dundee has been short.

But a lot has been packed into that short time.

Just two starts have come for the Scotland U/21 international so far since his January loan move from Burnley, along with five substitute appearances.

That limited time on the pitch has brought two goals.

However, the 20-year-old wants more.

The youngster is eager to play, eager to learn and more than anything, eager to score goals.

He’s made that last part something of a habit this season.

Mellon knocked in 15 goals in 27 matches for Morecambe in the first half of the campaign and wasted no time in opening his scoring account in dark blue with a goal on his debut.

But he’s not satisfied with his performances or goal tally at Dundee just yet.

He thought he’d notched goal No 3 at home to Kilmarnock on Saturday, only for goalkeeper Will Dennis to tip his fierce effort onto the woodwork.

“I’ve done alright. Probably not got as many goals as I’d have wanted,” Mellon exclusively told Courier Sport.

“I’ll do my best to rectify that.

“I don’t know how I’ve not scored against Kilmarnock. That save from the keeper was outrageous.

“He touched it onto the bar. Ridiculous. Fair play to him.

“But I’ve loved my time here, it’s brilliant. I’m enjoying every moment.

“It’s a new league and a new style of play, the tempo is different to what I am used to. I am learning every week here.

“I’m just trying to become a better player.

“There is a really good group of lads here. It obviously really hurts when things don’t go our way.”

Head injury
Mellon is learning as much as he can from the Dundee squad and from manager Tony Docherty and his staff.

However, he has also learned a lot about himself after suffering a potentially-serious head injury in just his fourth appearance.

Mellon was on the receiving end of a challenge by St Johnstone’s Liam Gordon that boss Docherty described as “almost life-endangering”.

The young striker was stretchered off and taken by ambulance to Ninewells Hospital and admits he has no recollection of the incident.

“It was tough. Mentally as well,” Mellon said.

“I’d never had an injury like that before so it was all new.

“Don’t ask me what happened because I don’t remember any of it!

“The recovery was easy because the physios here are brilliant, the doctor is brilliant.

“They just made it so easy.”

‘Grateful’
Concussion protocol saw Mellon miss the subsequent fixture before returning to the side as a second-half sub at Hibs.

“It was relief to get back on the pitch, just major relief because it could have been a lot worse,” he added.

“I’m grateful to be back out on the pitch as well.

“The protocol was two weeks – and it was a very slow two weeks!

“But I got there in the end.”

‘Cat and mouse’
Mellon is yet to start again for the club since that injury but did come off the bench to score an impressive goal at Celtic Park.

Curtis Main, Scott Tiffoney and Amadou Bakayoko have all got the nod ahead of him in recent games.

However, Mellon is determined to glean as much information as possibly from his far more experienced Dundee team-mates.

“They are great pros, Curtis and Baka,” Mellon said.

“And not just the strikers but Joe Shaughnessy and Trevor Carson in goal, the way they are, there is a lot to learn.

“How to be on and off the pitch.

“It’s a really good mix here. There are lads I know from Burnley, lads I know from Scotland U/21s and new lads as well.

“Everyone is helping me come on a lot and I’m enjoying it.”

This week, Mellon was named in Scot Gemmill’s Scotland U/21 squad to face Kazakhstan on March 21.

And he hopes the new experience of playing in the Premiership will help him on the international front.

As a striker, he’s having to learn new ways to get the better of the defenders trying to shackle him.

“I feel like I’m learning differently,” Mellon added.

“In League Two down south, the centre-halfs you play against are usually 6ft 5in, really physical.

“But here they are a bit more streetwise.

“You can’t get away with as much here. You can’t play cat-and-mouse much, which I could do in League Two.

“So I am learning. It is brilliant. Just the experience of playing at places like Celtic and Rangers.

“And all the different experiences up here while trying to get something from every game.”
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:58 am

Leif Davis possibly leaving Ipswich in the summer with Newcastle and West Ham rumoured to be interested

Wonder if we have any sell on clause ??
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:43 am

Redalert1970 wrote:Wonder if we have any sell on clause ??

I would think they've gone now, as he has been at two clubs since leaving us, and also, has played in the Premier League, which may have been another pay-day for us? Is a 'second sell-on clause' a thing?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpsontoast » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:40 am

Don’t know but it should be! Think I’d be saying in our sale contracts “and you buyer [Leeds in this case] shall pay us [10%] of any revenue that you receive in respect of the sale of the player by you or any other club”!. If you did that, you would potentially benefit from sell on clauses negotiated by others, but if you are getting slices of slices, the amounts are going to start getting quite small quite quickly unless players are going for many millions.
shrimpsontoast

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion