Fair play to the manager for shaking things up...

Fair play to the manager for shaking things up...

Postby Bryan » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Great win against the Shrews.

Simpson must be sick of the sight of us by now.

First clean sheet for twenty odd games. First win against the Shrews. No Danny Adams?

Lots to ponder there. But to be fair Adams has been quality for us but it was heartening to see two players at the back (McCann - who was excellent and Parish) bring some much needed energy and mobility to the defence.

Enthusiasm was high because things have been freshened up. McIlroy has to take credit for that and also for taking resposibility for the Dagenham defeat. It has meant we could all move on and hopefully enter a new era, what with new ground and all that.

Sure one win doesn't make a season. But Drummie and Hunter play well together in the middle. Curtis has been superb this season (and versatile). Wainwright (playing on the left where he seems happier) also consistant.

However there should be real praise for the front two as finally we've got a bit of power up top. Howe was magnificent and only just pipped to the MoM by Drummie in my view. At last we put out a side that can compete at this level. The key was that when we had the ball we were trying to play it to feet again but importantly when we lost the ball we were able to do the ugly side.

McCann was solid as a rock with some big tackles and really everyone worked hard when we lost the ball.

Special praise for Drummie though as against his old side he had a point to prove and i think he managed it. Sammy seems to have offered a few olive branches recently so i guess he should also be thanked for seeing the bigger picture there too.

Off to Barnet then where they will be desperate for their first win, so it won't be easy. If we can build on this win and not be complacent will be fine again.
Bryan

Re: Fair play to the manager for shaking things up...

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Whilst I agree with a lot of the original post I must have been at a different match than Bryan. Yes Mcann did a few good tackles but he also got skinned a number of times and he is too slow and offers nothing at all going forward. Curtis too who has been playing well lately had a disaster yesterday and I was surrounded by people informing me that Curtis offered nothing.
No one can fault the effort and battling qualities of the team and this may be enough for us to survive but you don't progress on effort alone and I have to wonder about those people who report that we played good football? Yes we won the match but we did not win it by playing good football and I doubt Mcann, Curtis and Hunter would be able to gain a place in another Div. 2 league club.
Ned

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Negative Ned wrote:Whilst I agree with a lot of the original post I must have been at a different match than Bryan. Yes Mcann did a few good tackles but he also got skinned a number of times and he is too slow and offers nothing at all going forward. Curtis too who has been playing well lately had a disaster yesterday and I was surrounded by people informing me that Curtis offered nothing.
No one can fault the effort and battling qualities of the team and this may be enough for us to survive but you don't progress on effort alone and I have to wonder about those people who report that we played good football? Yes we won the match but we did not win it by playing good football and I doubt Mcann, Curtis and Hunter would be able to gain a place in another Div. 2 league club.

Are you serious? Go away :evil:
Bare Ben

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Bare Ben wrote:Are you serious? Go away :evil:

Oww don't say that Ben, without Ned to remind us about how life is for the depressed people of the world, the rest of us may forget what it's like to be happy with the world! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:26 pm

There is no need for it though, I thought yesterdays performance might make people like Ned and D-EZ at long last shut up :roll:
Bare Ben

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Danny Adams missing with viral illness
Matt Blinks injured and getting treatment on Tuesday so he wont be available saturday according to Sammy's interview with Qiuinny
essentially Sammy went with the lads who did so well on Tuesday night
no real surprise on the 11 was it?
Shrimpsscene

Postby CASS » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Negative Ned wrote:Whilst I agree with a lot of the original post I must have been at a different match than Bryan. Yes Mcann did a few good tackles but he also got skinned a number of times and he is too slow and offers nothing at all going forward. Curtis too who has been playing well lately had a disaster yesterday and I was surrounded by people informing me that Curtis offered nothing.

Nothing against Ned or other posters who "Sport the odd provocative comment" In fact I quietly
like the fun it causes,but "Disaster" no I don't think so, may be is head dress looked like something out of "East is East" and towards the end he took a knock "In the Nuts " from a thrown water bottle, which he failed to side step, but as for "Offering Nothing" Ned needs to surround him'sen with new people who can see a 110%er when they see one. ;)
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Martin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:44 pm

Curtis had a superb game. He got stuck in and broke up several Shrewsbury moves. He was instrumental in providing some much needed protection to the defence. He may not be the quickest, he may sometimes be at a lost what to do with the ball, but he gives 100%, tackles well and can hold the ball up to allow the rest to regroup. Right now he fully deserves his place in the starting lineup.
Martin

Postby badger » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:09 pm

I agree with everything bryan said.negative ned must have been at different match.

what does he want from the team BLOOD.
badger

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:33 pm

badger wrote:I agree with everything bryan said.negative ned must have been at different match.

Perhaps he wants a special mention from Quinny in the match programme.

:?
morecambe mick

Postby dave wilky » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:36 pm

badger wrote:I agree with everything bryan said.negative ned must have been at different match.

wayne gave it against oldham

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dave wilky

Postby parceldave » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:48 pm

I have to agree with some of what Ned said , as i was stood in the Paddock and McCann was beaten a few times and didnt go forward much and his passes were hit and hope . As for his comments about Wayne i think he's having a little wind up. :D . It was a battleing performance yesterday and still room for improvement with more passing to feet from defence more imagination from free kicks and definately more shots at goal ;) ;) ;)
parceldave

Postby BHmfc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:32 pm

I know Wayne can be a touchy subject and the people i talk to are split 50/50 over his inclusion in the team, but my opinion (and we are all entitled to one) is that although he gives 100%, there are too many minus points to his game. He has no control and several times yesterday he over ran the ball, stumbled into a defender giving the ball away and allowing them to set up counter attacks when the easy option is to lay the ball off. He also lacks what pundits call a football brain and too many times he fails to see spaces or make runs off the ball that would create chances for other players. Last week against D and R he picked the ball up in an attacking position and instead of running towards goal he stuck his head down and ran towards the corner flag. Also the amount of times when trying to clear the ball he hoofs it up field without looking and it goes to an opposing player who then sets up another attack. I'm not having a go at the lad but he is not a wide player, he is an old fashioned, give 100%, stick your head where it hurts centre forward. Yesterday was a big improvement but imagine how much better it would be if we got a natural wide player in the style of a Shirley or a Elam.
BHmfc

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:05 am

Negative Ned wrote:I was surrounded by people informing me that Curtis offered nothing......

Aaah, now we've got to the crux of Ned's problem. He needs to go and stand next to people who have a more positive attitude. It's not Ned, it's the company he keeps.

All I know is we've lost to two of the leading (so far) sides by the odd goal in games that really could have gone either way. Those sides have got good results against other decent teams. We're the only ones to take a point from Wycombe (away at that) and we're the first team to beat Shrewsbury.

There have been issues with certain players and I still think we can improve but I think on Saturday we finally got what we, by virtue of our overall performances (to which players like Wayne have contributed significantly) have been deserving these past few weeks.

I now predict that we will now go on a decent run of results. I also predict Ned will continue to be dissatisfied until he gets a new set of mates. :D
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:36 pm

shrimper wrote:
Negative Ned wrote:I was surrounded by people informing me that Curtis offered nothing......

Aaah, now we've got to the crux of Ned's problem. He needs to go and stand next to people who have a more positive attitude. It's not Ned, it's the company he keeps.

All I know is we've lost to two of the leading (so far) sides by the odd goal in games that really could have gone either way. Those sides have got good results against other decent teams. We're the only ones to take a point from Wycombe (away at that) and we're the first team to beat Shrewsbury.

There have been issues with certain players and I still think we can improve but I think on Saturday we finally got what we, by virtue of our overall performances (to which players like Wayne have contributed significantly) have been deserving these past few weeks.

I now predict that we will now go on a decent run of results. I also predict Ned will continue to be dissatisfied until he gets a new set of mates. :D

"Negative Ned" must have been inconsolable on the evening of 20 May 2007 and also on the nights we won at Deepdale and Molineaux !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Return to General Discussion